Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Reviewables is the podcast I started with Edwin Sammon last September.

It's a comedy review podcast examining the lowbrow pleasures and overlooked moments of life - http://www.headstuff.org/reviewables-podcast/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Utah wrote: »
    Apart from iTunes, is there a free website which will play them for you?

Like I have an app on my phone which I can subscribe to whatever podcast and it holds them all in a nice easy to use platform. Is there a website which will do this for me?

There is a add-on/extension for chrome called Podstation which you can search for the podcasts, subscribe and play them within the page. It's really cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Lately I've been listening to More Perfect, which is a spin off from Radiolab.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolabmoreperfect/episodes

Really really good show about different cases from the Supreme Court.
    If you like court cases or any crime/law type podcasts like Criminal, Serial etc. you'll enjoy this.

Plus it's made by Radiolab so you know the production quality is fantastic.
    Only 6 episodes but apparently it is coming back soon for more.

Description from the WNYC website:
    Supreme Court decisions shape everything from marriage and money to public safety and sex. We know these are very important decisions we should all pay attention to – but they often feel untouchable and even unknowable. Radiolab's first ever spin-off series, More Perfect, connects you to the decisions made inside the court's hallowed halls, and explains what those rulings mean for "we the people" who exist far from the bench. More Perfect bypasses the wonkiness and tells stories behind some of the court’s biggest rulings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

More Perfect is quite a good show.

You Must Remember This is back after an extended hiatus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but "Criminal" is great, the production on it is top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

For all you Bond fans out there, "James Bond Radio" is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭pavb2

I gave Accused, In the Dark and Serial a listen they are quite compulsive listening but the staggering incompetence of the police is common in all.

Can't make my mind up about the guilt or not of the guy in Serial his "friend" really holds the key. Likewise with Accused there are so many unanswered questions.

This type of genre is quite addictive I'm listening to Up and Vanished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Up and Vanished is after coming to an epic conclusion for anyone who hasn't heard it before, well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

A few of my favourites...

The Parapod - The ParaPod is a weekly podcast of all things supernatural and mysterious, hosted by Ian Boldsworth (voice of reason) and Barry Dodds (gullible believer).

The Bright Sessions - The Bright Sessions is a science fiction podcast that follows a group of therapy patients. But these are not your typical patients - each has a unique supernatural ability. The show documents their struggles and discoveries as well as the motivations of their mysterious therapist, Dr. Bright.

The Black Tapes - The Black Tapes is a bi-weekly podcast from Pacific Northwest Stories and Minnow Beats Whale, and is hosted by Alex Reagan. The Black Tapes is a serialized docudrama about one journalist's search for truth, her enigmatic subject's mysterious past, and the literal and figurative ghosts that haunt them both.
    How do you feel about paranormal activity or the Supernatural? Ghosts? Spirits? Demons? Do you believe?

Tanis - Tanis is a serialized bi-weekly podcast from the creators of the Public Radio Alliance and Pacific Northwest Stories about something Terry & Nic have been obsessed with for well over a decade, a fascinating and surprising mystery: the myth of Tanis. Tanis is hosted by Nic Silver.
    Tanis is an exploration of the nature of truth, conspiracy, and information. Tanis is what happens when the lines of science and fiction start to blur...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I'll second the Parapod. Listened to Ian/Ray's various pods for years.

Haven't listened to any of the others.

• Advertisement

I'll second the Parapod. Listened to Ian/Ray's various pods for years.

Haven't listened to any of the others.

Check out the FUBAR radio podcasts if you like Ray/ Ian. Very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Gwildor wrote: »
    A few of my favourites...

The Parapod - The ParaPod is a weekly podcast of all things supernatural and mysterious, hosted by Ian Boldsworth (voice of reason) and Barry Dodds (gullible believer).

The Bright Sessions - The Bright Sessions is a science fiction podcast that follows a group of therapy patients. But these are not your typical patients - each has a unique supernatural ability. The show documents their struggles and discoveries as well as the motivations of their mysterious therapist, Dr. Bright.

The Black Tapes - The Black Tapes is a bi-weekly podcast from Pacific Northwest Stories and Minnow Beats Whale, and is hosted by Alex Reagan. The Black Tapes is a serialized docudrama about one journalist's search for truth, her enigmatic subject's mysterious past, and the literal and figurative ghosts that haunt them both.
    How do you feel about paranormal activity or the Supernatural? Ghosts? Spirits? Demons? Do you believe?

Tanis - Tanis is a serialized bi-weekly podcast from the creators of the Public Radio Alliance and Pacific Northwest Stories about something Terry & Nic have been obsessed with for well over a decade, a fascinating and surprising mystery: the myth of Tanis. Tanis is hosted by Nic Silver.
    Tanis is an exploration of the nature of truth, conspiracy, and information. Tanis is what happens when the lines of science and fiction start to blur...

Tanis is brilliant alright. Must check out your other recommendations!

luketitz wrote: »
    Tanis is brilliant alright. Must check out your other recommendations!

Archive 81 and Limetown are quite similar, and a very good listen.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Lore is another great pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Gwildor wrote: »
    Check out the FUBAR radio podcasts if you like Ray/ Ian. Very entertaining!

Must check that out. I don't think anything will compare to the Peacock and Gamble letters if complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

New one started a few weeks ago "Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy" (Andrew Freddie Flintoff (ex Cricketer), Robbie Savage (ex footballer) and Matthew Syed (ex Table Tennis Pro now successful author) mainly on life as a pro sportsman and what drives success in sport

Can be bantery but some decent insights at times into the realities of life as a Professional Athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Skid X wrote: »
    New one started a few weeks ago "Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy" (Andrew Freddie Flintoff (ex Cricketer), Robbie Savage (ex footballer) and Matthew Syed (ex Table Tennis Pro now successful author) mainly on life as a pro sportsman and what drives success in sport

Can be bantery but some decent insights at times into the realities of life as a Professional Athlete.

Flintoff, Savage ?? i'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listened to the Port Arthur podcast by Case File, it's about a massacre in Tasmania in the 90s, does an amazing job of detailing what actually happened during the masscare as well as detailing the life and troubles of the shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcbrideryan1

Here's a new Game of Thrones podcast started ahead of season 7 of the show by a few Irish lads.

If you're pumped for the new season try giving it a listen.

We go through the main (and main-ish) characters one by one and predict their paths for the new season, and have released three episodes so far.

Episode 1 -Bran, Meera, Jorah

Episode 2 - The Hound, Beric Dondarrion, Tormund

Episode 3 - Varys, Arya, Melisandre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Here's a new Game of Thrones podcast started ahead of season 7 of the show by a few Irish lads.

So what's it called?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    So what's it called?

It's called Brotherhood Without Manners, you can check it out on soundcloud.com forward slash brotherhoodwithoutmanners or on apple's podcast app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 stilllooking

I'd like to recommend the unpops podcast network. Run by former cracked.com editor adam tod brown and called after it's flagship podcast unpopular opinion, it's a network of about 10-12 weekly and monthly podcasts. it costs $4.99 a month for full access or if you want them free, you get unpopular opinion free and every other episode of the weekly podcasts free. Everyone of the hosts is a comic so they are quite funny.

If anyone is interested in a live podcast in Dublin related to Game of Thrones, the Brotherhood Without Manners is in the Bowery in Rathmines every Monday night with Season 7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

pavb2 wrote: »
    I gave Accused, In the Dark and Serial a listen they are quite compulsive listening but the staggering incompetence of the police is common in all.

Can't make my mind up about the guilt or not of the guy in Serial his "friend" really holds the key. Likewise with Accused there are so many unanswered questions.

This type of genre is quite addictive I'm listening to Up and Vanished now.

You've gotta listen to "Sh*t Town"

Honest to god it beats them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Truth and Movies: A Little White Lies Podcast is pretty good. If you are a fan of James Richardson, which I am, you'll enjoy it.

The Totally Football Show has just started, Richardson left Football Weekly to begin this. Pretty much more of the same based on the first show but good all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's a new podcast starting on 6 September called 'Origins' (there's a preview available at the moment).

But anyway, it's starting out with a 5 episode special on Curb Your Enthusiasm so if you're like me and a big fan of podcasts and that show, this should be a podcast worth subscribing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Started listening to black hands last night. Lots of names to remember and lots of small details. Anyone finish it? Worth listening to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Started listening to black hands last night. Lots of names to remember and lots of small details. Anyone finish it? Worth listening to?
    Ya enjoyed it didn't think they needed ten pods to tell the story do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Got 2/3's through it. Interesting topic but just couldn't listen to the presenter anymore. Found him very dry and difficult to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PeterMilford

If anyone's interested in actors just chewing the fat, I can recommend the Two Shot podcast, it's new but there's some really good things in there, definitely recommend the Michael Smiley one as a starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hi there - i do a lot of cycling and I'd like to make this time more productive by listening to history podcasts.

have done some research but nothing has grabbed me yet. Has anyone any suggestions for (not too heavy) historical pods?

Thanks

Advertisement