Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Friend of Joe Rogan, this guy - Dave Smith - has a twice weekly Podcast relating to American Politics from a Libertarian point of view. I enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ThePott

Hope it's okay to promote my own podcast, I just started.

It's called Pop Cult Pod it goes through pop culture with weekly news and features including film, television and video games and it has a cult theme.
    You can find it on:
    Spotify https://spoti.fi/2RHdbsq
    Stitcher https://bit.ly/2HaWKk2
    Soundcloud https://bit.ly/2CVYSbo
    Youtube https://bit.ly/2QtjJ9r

Just getting started so hopefully first of many :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Can anyone recommend some good funny British podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Can anyone recommend some good funny British podcasts?

Eli's James and john robins
    Nick helm and Nathanial medcalfe fan club
    Off menu with ed gamble and James acaster
    Richard herrings Leicester Square podcast
    Adam Buxton podcast
    Athletico mince

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Broken Harts

Markis, Hannah, Devonte, Abigail, Jeremiah, and Sierra Hart—six beautiful black children, ranging in age from 12 to 19—were all adopted by Sarah and Jennifer Hart, both white. On Jen’s Facebook page, it looked as if they were the perfect blended family, even earning the nickname “Hart Tribe” from friends. Then, on March 26, 2018, the family’s GMC Yukon was found belly-up on the rocks below California’s Highway 1. The news of the murder-suicide shocked their friends and made national headlines, leaving many wondering what possibly led to the fatal crash. Could these lives have been saved? Broken Harts, a new podcast from Glamour and HowStuffWorks, investigates this question with more than 30 never-before-heard interviews. Cohosts and Glamour editors Justine Harman and Elisabeth Egan and reporter Lauren Smiley follow the family’s journey from South Dakota through Minnesota, Oregon, and Washington, and finally to that 100-foot cliff in California.

I'm listening to this at the moment but it feels very drawn out. After listening to Crime Writers On discuss the podcast, I checked out the local paper's coverage & I found far more interesting stuff within minutes. I guess Broken Harts is getting there but why go back over so much familiar ground before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

May have been mentioned before but...

https://poshdjs.com/podcast/
    Its a weekly podcast with an hour long dance mix, mixing new releases and classic songs. Really good for a gym session

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

david tennant has started a podcast , olivia colman is the first guest . very sweary and very entertaining

'David Tennant Does a Podcast With' is the name

upcoming guests Ian McKellen, Jon Hamm, Whoopi Goldberg, Michael Sheen and Jodie Whittaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Guys anyone know if I can download the west cork podcast for free ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Almost at the end of this one. It's the story of former NFL star Aaron Hernandez who was convicted of murder. It's excellent. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

MMAbhoy wrote: »
    Guys anyone know if I can download the west cork podcast for free ?

Just sign up for a free trial with audible. Listen to it then cancel the subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Just sign up for a free trial with audible. Listen to it then cancel the subscription.

Can you download the podcasts then cancel straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I think so...

for a rugby podcast "the rugby pod" with Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode is much better imo than the fairly shyte Irish and BBC love-in ones, even tho it's English/Scottish made (in terms of the presenters).
    some good stories on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

Started a bi-weekly podcast in December, we're 6 episodes in now.

Premise: Three queer Irish showgirls discuss pop culture over copious amounts of wine. Hosted by Lady K, DialEmma and Ruby Noir.

Available on Stitcher, Spotify, iTunes and all the rest. :)
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/giving-me-life

Broooooaaaaad range of topics! Our latest episode covers: Dino erotica; The Good Place Podcast; Steely Dan; Our favourite alt-cabaret duos; 'Oh Hello! On Broadway'; Duelling FYRE Festival documentaries and more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The Drop Out - the story of the recent fall of the youngest self-made female billionaire, now facing up to 20 years in jail on fraud charges.

She wanted to invent a new medical diagnosis tool that would revolutionize healthcare, and thought of herself as the next Steve Jobs.

Turns out, what she invented was on par with a mediocre secondary-school science project and was essentially useless. Didn't stop her from getting the company up to an estimated value of $9 billion, though.

The story of how she managed it is fascinating.

Reminds me a lot of the Fyre Festival fiasco that was the subject of a couple of documentaries recently.

It's also amazing to see how far you can actually get by just by looking the part and telling people a story, without actually providing any hard evidence.

Well worth the listen, it's the only podcast currently that I'm dying to listen to each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Standman wrote: »
    The Drop Out - the story of the recent fall of the youngest self-made female billionaire, now facing up to 20 years in jail on fraud charges.

She wanted to invent a new medical diagnosis tool that would revolutionize healthcare, and thought of herself as the next Steve Jobs.

Turns out, what she invented was on par with a mediocre secondary-school science project and was essentially useless. Didn't stop her from getting the company up to an estimated value of $9 billion, though.

Reminds me a lot of the Fyre Festival fiasco that was the subject of a couple of documentaries recently.

It's also amazing to see how far you can actually get by just by looking the part and telling people a story, without actually providing any hard evidence.

Well worth the listen, it's the only podcast currently that I'm dying to listen to each week.

The book Bad Blood by John Carreyrou is on the same subject, and well worth seeking out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Will definite check this out Standman, I remember reading about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos a couple years ago in The Atlantic and found the whole story fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts for kids? I often put one on after storytime for my 7 & 4 year olds. So far we've liked

Storypirates
    Wow in the World
    Peace Out
    Sesame Street podcast

but would like to hear of some more for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

optogirl wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts for kids? I often put one on after storytime for my 7 & 4 year olds. So far we've liked

Storypirates
    Wow in the World
    Peace Out
    Sesame Street podcast

I'd find youtube better for what your looking for, well more of a selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ThePott

Sorry to self-promote again, not gonna make a habit of it I promise but if anyone is interested I have started doing video versions of my podcast Pop Cult Pod it means that trailers and footage are included when discussed. Latest one below:

If you want to check it out that is, thanks everybody :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I'd find youtube better for what your looking for, well more of a selection.

but this is for nighttime really so would rather not have them looking at the screen - just listening

but this is for nighttime really so would rather not have them looking at the screen - just listening

if you install youtube vanced and disable the youtube app you can get sound without screen on on a phone/tablet

just google it - download outside play store as google don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Drop Out is superb, Serial season 1 level of superb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Storypirates
    Wow in the World
    Peace Out
    Sesame Street podcast

This Podcast Has Fleas
    Brains On
    Pickle

I'd also recommend The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel for the 7 year old. It's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Standman wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation. This is an excellent listen.

Just annoyed that I read your post before the series was finished. Now I have to wait week-to-week! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

glasso wrote: »
    if you install youtube vanced and disable the youtube app you can get sound without screen on on a phone/tablet

just google it - download outside play store as google don't like it!

If you download and use the Youtube music app it does you can switch video on and off as standard functionality. And is an official google app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another recommendation for The Dropout. What an absolutely mental state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Over My Dead Body. Another excellent telling from Wondery.
    We all have limits. And some people who are pushed beyond those limits will do unspeakable things. In “Tally,” the first season of OVER MY DEAD BODY, Dan and Wendi are two good-looking attorneys whose wedding is featured in the New York Times. But when this “perfect” couple falls apart, it leads to a bad breakup, a worse divorce, and a murder case involving a menagerie of high-priced lawyers and unexpected co-conspirators. From Wondery, the team that brought you “Dirty John” and “Dr. Death,” “Tally” is a story that says as much about love and marriage as it does about justice, revenge, and the lengths some people will go to get what they want.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If you download and use the Youtube music app it does you can switch video on and off as standard functionality. And is an official google app

will it work with the phone screen locked?

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    The Drop Out is superb, Serial season 1 level of superb

good book also

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Secrets-Silicon-Startup/dp/152473165X

deserves to go to jail.

not to turn this into some sort of thing where I could be accused of misogyny but Holmes and Sheryl Sandberg have been badly exposed in the last few years after being rapidly elevated to corporate pedestals in the media without too much due diligence, in a fair part because of their gender.

Advertisement