Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Allowance & Inheritance for House

Options
  • 07-10-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a mother with 2 children currently receiving a jobseekers allowance and my partner is working on a CE scheme. His parents offered to give him his inheritance early and will provide the funds to buy a house for us. We have found the house and have sale agreed. We will declare the inheritance to the social welfare. We are not receiving rent allowance as we never applied for it. How does coming to own a house in this manner affect our social welfare payments?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Jsa means test will not use the family home in its calculations.If you only have 1 house you will not be effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Nasool wrote: »
    I am a mother with 2 children currently receiving a jobseekers allowance and my partner is working on a CE scheme. His parents offered to give him his inheritance early and will provide the funds to buy a house for us. We have found the house and have sale agreed. We will declare the inheritance to the social welfare. We are not receiving rent allowance as we never applied for it. How does coming to own a house in this manner affect our social welfare payments?

It's not an inheritance, its a gift, tax may apply. Get good legal and financial advice before you do anything.

Advertisement