Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping hard-drive from an old broken PS3 to a new one

Options
  • 07-10-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway to do this without formatting the old hard-drive?

My PS3 got the YLOD for the second time this year, wasn't bothered getting it sorted again so invested in a new PS3. Now I'm looking to get my data from my old PS3 hard-drive onto my new one. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've not heard of any method that actually works, but you could try putting it in a portable hard drive case and see if you can transfer the data to a new one. If you just pop it in the new PS3, then it'll format the drive on its own as each HD is 'married' to the PS3 it was originally intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I've not heard of any method that actually works, but you could try putting it in a portable hard drive case and see if you can transfer the data to a new one. If you just pop it in the new PS3, then it'll format the drive on its own as each HD is 'married' to the PS3 it was originally intended for.

Tried something similar last night but no joke, may just be starting from scratch with GTA. Only option I seem to have is getting my hands on a HDD reader.

Advertisement