Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Chain and sprockets

• 07-10-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to change the chain and sprockets on my RSV mille in the next couple of weeks and I've decided it's time to start doing it for myself.

My knowledge of the chain kits themselves wouldn't be the greatest tbh. It seems that DID have a near monopoly and that you want a gold X-ring chain. That's about it for me.

I asked in my local Honda dealer today and they told me they can supply a chain and sprocket set for about €140 but he'll come back to me with the details tomorrow.

Are there any other brands that do the business? What about RK chains? What about sprockets? Are there particular brands I should avoid or are they much of a muchness? What about the chain tool? The Honda dealer told me they have a Spada chain breaker/ riveter for €65 and that the DID riveter would be too expensive and the kit doesn't contain all the bits for every chain.

That's what I have so far...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You will source all the parts needed for much cheaper on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DID are the best, X ring on that bike as twins are hard on chains.
    Standard steel sprockets last a long time.
    I wouldn't bother with RK or Takasago or Regina they aren't as good as DID chains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Tsubaki are a very good chain and sprocket manufacturer as well. Bit cheaper than DID as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You will source all the parts needed for much cheaper on ebay.

Unless you know what your looking for there are too many fakes floating around flee bay for something as important as a chain and sprocket.

Plenty of legit sites in the UK/Europe to purchase off or even a local bike shop may be able to offer decent value. Main dealer will nearly always be the most expensive option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Check some european sites such as wemoto.com and louis.de for an idea on prices. Then you can go back to the Honda dealer and see if they'll do the same price for you.

I wouldn't bother with a chain breaker/ riveter. It's an easy enough job to take off the rear wheel then the swing arm once you can put the bike on a centre stand/ set of jacks (rear brake caliper and suspension will also need to be disconnected). Once the swing arm is off you can put the chain on without the need to split it.

Simples ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

The Don wrote: »
    Check some european sites such as wemoto.com and louis.de for an idea on prices. Then you can go back to the Honda dealer and see if they'll do the same price for you.

I wouldn't bother with a chain breaker/ riveter. It's an easy enough job to take off the rear wheel then the swing arm once you can put the bike on a centre stand/ set of jacks (rear brake caliper and suspension will also need to be disconnected). Once the swing arm is off you can put the chain on without the need to split it.

Simples ;)

last two chains i fitted myself were not joined out of the packet and neither are the two on the shelf for the trials bikes, one DID and one Regina, in fact one of them needed shortening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

serious3 wrote: »
    last two chains i fitted myself were not joined out of the packet and neither are the two on the shelf for the trials bikes, one DID and one Regina, in fact one of them needed shortening....

Same. More likely that a chain comes broken, than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Try Cotters for a price

The last time i was up there they were saying they were going to be main agents for DID chains and sprockets

He mentioned that his prices would not be bet anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Local Honda dealer can supply a DID x-ring chain, JT sprocket and master link etc for €145 all in. My sympathetic mechanic will lend me his riveter so that'll save me some money this time :) Apparently it'll be a 520 chain conversion as the original spec is 525.

They're getting me brake caliper seals for both calipers for €60.

They're also doing Metzeler Z8s for €270 all in (if wheels only are given to them).

Lots and lots to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

cantdecide wrote: »
    Local Honda dealer can supply a DID x-ring chain, JT sprocket and master link etc for €145 all in. My sympathetic mechanic will lend me his riveter so that'll save me some money this time :) Apparently it'll be a 520 chain conversion as the original spec is 525.

They're getting me brake caliper seals for both calipers for €60.

They're also doing Metzeler Z8s for €270 all in (if wheels only are given to them).

Lots and lots to do.

Thats a good price for C&S and master link. I just had a new chain fitted but ill check out a honda dealer next time.

• Advertisement

Thats a good price for C&S and master link. I just had a new chain fitted but ill check out a honda dealer next time.

There's a lot of this going on with this particular dealer here in Cork. There are a lot of lads that would have gone away and bought tyres online and the like that now say, 'I might be saving €20 by the time I go through the hassle of it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

There's a lot of this going on with this particular dealer here in Cork. There are a lot of lads that would have gone away and bought tyres online and the like that now say, 'I might be saving €20 by the time I go through the hassle of it'.

Is it lee honda? If so I bought my boots there on sale and they went to the effort to email me before shipping just to make sure I ordered the right size. Its the little things that will make me a returning customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Best couple of cent you'll spend, when tackling that job...

kxYxw4rl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

is a 520 conversion done much on rsv's? I was worried doing one on a 675cc triple, not sure about 1000cc twin...!

getting a new front sprocket too, right?

Is it lee honda?

Yes indeed. It must be one of the oldest bike shops in Cork. It can't be taken from them- they're prices are right at the moment.
    Best couple of cent you'll spend, when tackling that job...

Yup. I have a big box of them and I'm a big believer in them. Nothing cool about a week of black finger nails.
    Wossack wrote: »
    is a 520 conversion done much on rsv's? I was worried doing one on a 675cc triple, not sure about 1000cc twin...!

getting a new front sprocket too, right?

Front sprocket included. They say that most will do a 520 conversion and that's what I'm doing this time, subject to them double checking that it's in line with their supplier's recommendations.

I paid €145 for the C&S kit. I also bought the Spada chain breaker/ riveter and couldn't be happier with it for €55 so I think it's already paid for itself. Beforehand, I was worried I would risk breaking the tool and I was worried that when I flared the rivet link, I'd be unsure about whether it was over or under tightened but I must say, I'm 100% happy on both counts. The chain split without fuss and you really do know when the master link is flared properly and to stop.

I'd definitely glad I decided to do this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well, it seems I need a new chain and sprox. How are the ones you got working out for you cantdecide? Definitely gonna do mine myself, time to get started with the harder stuff :)

Did it come all in one chain did you have to rivet each link onto the last?

Well, it seems I need a new chain and sprox. How are the ones you got working out for you cantdecide? Definitely gonna do mine myself, time to get started with the harder stuff :)

Did it come all in one chain did you have to rivet each link onto the last?

Man, it was pretty straight forward. I simply went to Lee as they're almost as cheap as anywhere else online, told them I wanted the full kit and kaboodle in the day-one specs without adding or subtracting quantities of teeth or down-speccing to a cheaper chain etc. They recommended a DID X-ring chain and some (iirc) JT sprockets, The chain came as a complete length in the right spec but I had to shorten it by removing a pair of links before adding the rivet link. Aside from that, it all went swimmingly.

Man, it was pretty straight forward. I simply went to Lee as they're almost as cheap as anywhere else online, told them I wanted the full kit and kaboodle in the day-one specs without adding or subtracting quantities of teeth or down-speccing to a cheaper chain etc. They recommended a DID X-ring chain and some (iirc) JT sprockets, The chain came as a complete length in the right spec but I had to shorten it by removing a pair of links before adding the rivet link. Aside from that, it all went swimmingly.

Nice one, e-mailed them today, they're getting back to me Monday with prices, if it's as nice as yours it's possibly cheaper than Wemoto!

You want a hand with it, MD? I can bring my breaker/ riveter along and you can save that cost for now.

• Advertisement

You want a hand with it, MD? I can bring my breaker/ riveter along and you can save that cost for now.

Maybe, not sure yet when I'm ordering it. :) Hoping to have the cash Friday, so will let you know. Thanks a million buddy. :)

Maybe, not sure yet when I'm ordering it. :) Hoping to have the cash Friday, so will let you know. Thanks a million buddy. :)

The offer's there, duderino. I have a vested interest in helping you with your headstock bearing too because I think my own is on the way out so I plan on making my mistakes on your bike :pac::pac:

Advertisement