Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Coffee (with cream)

Options
  • 07-10-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi There,

I came recently from Croatia, and we all know Ireland for 3 major products - Beer, Whiskey and Irish Coffee. Well, I found first two quite easily, but what about proper Irish Coffee?

I saw only one add in D2, close to Ha'Penny bridge, and it looked quite pricy (I think 7E).

Are there good local places in D2 / D1 where to get the good Irish Coffee for affordable price?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Almost any pub will make you an Irish coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I think he/she wants a good Irish coffee. That's an altogether more difficult thing to find, certainly in a pub anyway.

Rule 1 - get away from Templebar.

Chapter 1 on Parnell Square probably do the best Irish Coffee in Dublin...but that's a Michelin Star Restaurant so probably isn't what you're looking for. In a similar vein, the Oval Office Bar below Shanahans on St. Stephens Green (a ridiculously overpriced steak house) should be able to take care of you. Expect to pay well for it though.

Apart from that I'm sure some pubs do good ones but it's just a bit of a lottery. I haven't tried very often but any time I have I've been disappointed. There are few things worse than a bad Irish coffee (well, maybe losing an arm or something).

I'd be interested to hear what other people recommend. What about the Library Bar in the Central Hotel? I've never had one there but I'd say they know what they're about.

(If all else fails I make an awesome Irish Coffee)

Ah. How could I forget? The Horse Shoe Bar in the Shelbourne Hotel on St. Stephen's Green.

Go there.

End of thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Make yourself,
    strong coffee,sugar, plenty of whiskey and hand whipped cream
    Coffee should be black as night, hot as hell, and sweet as a stolen kiss

You can actually get (suprise suprise)very good Irish coffee in Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I always think a Hot Whiskey is more of an Irish thing ..... after all Irish Coffee has only been around since the 40s ( that's the story I have heard anyway .... Foynes and all that ).

Love a hot Whiskey , I make it with honey

warm glass
    Whiskey ( I use paddy for hot Whiskey )
    teaspoon of honey
    hot water ( just off the boil )
    slice of lemon and a couple of cloves.

• Advertisement

You need a Bialletti Moka Pot or an Espresso Machine to do it properly. A french press will suffice but never, under any circumstances, use instant coffee.

1. Boil Kettle

2. Heat up glasses using boiling water. (glasses should have stems or handles). Discard water.

3. Fill glass approximately a third of the way with boiling water. Dissolve approximately a tablespoon of honey in the water. Maybe a little more for luck.

4. Fill to two thirds with with espresso.

5. Add whiskey to taste. (Don't be shy. If in doubt put more in. You'd be surprised how palatable the honey can make it. Anything less than two standard shots is a waste of time)

6. Pour whipped cream on top. If you have only lightly whipped the cream you should use the back of a spoon to stop it mixing with the coffee. It's easier if you whip it until it's quite firm.

7. Sprinkle grated chocolate on top. Mint Aero usually impresses people, but a proper coffee snob might look down their noses at that. Dark chocolate is what you need if you're dealing with one of them.

Nobody ever gets this right the first time, so just go to the Shelbourne.

A friend of mine refuses to order Irish coffee in certain types of establishments because “You’d have to go in and stand over them to make sure they do it right”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Evil_g wrote: »
    Ah. How could I forget? The Horse Shoe Bar in the Shelbourne Hotel on St. Stephen's Green.

Go there.

End of thread.

The OP asked where he could get an Irish Coffee, not for a list of posh expensive pubs and hotels for toffs that make Irish Coffee :p

As others have said most pubs will make it and its not that hard to make it well. You might come across the odd place that makes a mess of it but that is just bad luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

agree witht he above, any of the bars in temple bar will make it for you. Its pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

WJ Kavanagh and L Mulligan Grocer both do a lovely Irish Coffee.

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    agree witht he above, any of the bars in temple bar will make it for you. Its pretty easy.

Most of them will begin with a pot of filter coffee that's been sitting there for 20 minutes. Not a good idea when you're adding cold whiskey and cold cream.

Not all of them will keep fresh whipped cream on hand for the purpose of making Irish coffee. So, yep, it's fake cream in a can time.

And then of course there are the places who put the sugar on the side so that you can add it yourself after the cream.

There are few things worse than a bad Irish coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Old coffe + canned cream in Irish Cofee = discusting (like diarrhea or somethin)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

What about the bar in the Jameson distillery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Peter's pub on South William Street do (or at least did) a good Irish Coffee.
    But yes I'd agree with an earlier poster a hot whiskey is a much more traditional Irish drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

Ryan's Pub of Christchurch seem to advertise their Irish Coffee quite heavily and ive heard some good things fromt here! Think the prices are decent too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

You need a Bialletti Moka Pot or an Espresso Machine to do it properly. A french press will suffice but never, under any circumstances, use instant coffee.

1. Boil Kettle

2. Heat up glasses using boiling water. (glasses should have stems or handles). Discard water.

3. Fill glass approximately a third of the way with boiling water. Dissolve approximately a tablespoon of honey in the water. Maybe a little more for luck.

4. Fill to two thirds with with espresso.

5. Add whiskey to taste. (Don't be shy. If in doubt put more in. You'd be surprised how palatable the honey can make it. Anything less than two standard shots is a waste of time)

6. Pour whipped cream on top. If you have only lightly whipped the cream you should use the back of a spoon to stop it mixing with the coffee. It's easier if you whip it until it's quite firm.

7. Sprinkle grated chocolate on top. Mint Aero usually impresses people, but a proper coffee snob might look down their noses at that. Dark chocolate is what you need if you're dealing with one of them.

Nobody ever gets this right the first time, so just go to the Shelbourne.

Sounds lovely, but an Irish Coffee it aint!

Sounds lovely, but an Irish Coffee it aint!

Because of the honey?

Does that mean I get to name it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Because of the honey?

Does that mean I get to name it myself?

An Irish coffee shouldn't use whipped cream either -- it's cheating. You need to add enough sugar to the coffee to make it dense enough to hold the cream, and then pour the cream over the back of a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

WJ Kavanagh and L Mulligan Grocer both do a lovely Irish Coffee.

I'd be inclined to believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Balky

OK,

We are here for a while now! Must admit, hot whiskey is much better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

An Irish coffee shouldn't use whipped cream either -- it's cheating. You need to add enough sugar to the coffee to make it dense enough to hold the cream, and then pour the cream over the back of a spoon.

Agree 100%. The original (and best imo) Irish Coffee recipie calls for regular runny cream, not the whipped variety. Any properly trained bar man or decent hotel, will make it with pouring cream. However, it is very time consuming, especially if you are making a load of them for a gang of people. It also requires a degree of care & skill to properly pour the cream into the glass, without it sinking immediately to the bottom of the glass and, spoiling the look of it all.

For those reasons, most pubs just put a dollop of whipped cream on top of the drink and call it a day, especially if they are serving them up to tourists who are none the wiser as to how it should be made properly. You get a face full of whipped cream in your first several sips, instead of the perfect ratio of coffee/whiskey/cream that you should be getting from the very first sip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree 100%. The original (and best imo) Irish Coffee recipie calls for regular runny cream, not the whipped variety. Any properly trained bar man or decent hotel, will make it with pouring cream. However, it is very time consuming, especially if you are making a load of them for a gang of people. It also requires a degree of care & skill to properly pour the cream into the glass, without it sinking immediately to the bottom of the glass and, spoiling the look of it all.

For those reasons, most pubs just put a dollop of whipped cream on top of the drink and call it a day, especially if they are serving them up to tourists who are none the wiser as to how it should be made properly. You get a face full of whipped cream in your first several sips, instead of the perfect ratio of coffee/whiskey/cream that you should be getting from the very first sip.

and what's this honey nonsense I keep seeing mentioned? Brown sugar is what you want, the darker the better.

(have to agree with earlier poster about Chapter 1, they make a whole show of it and the end result is divine)

Advertisement