Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options
  • 30-09-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with the National Drivers Licence Service? Does the change with the photography come in to effect tomorrow or later in the month and where is the location for this?

I went in to the motor tax office this morning to apply for my licence but the queue was up past the Western!

EDIT: The queue was because it's the last day to declare your vehicle off the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with the National Drivers Licence Service? Does the change with the photography come in to effect tomorrow or later in the month and where is the location for this?

I went in to the motor tax office this morning to apply for my licence but the queue was up past the Western!

EDIT: The queue was because it's the last day to declare your vehicle off the road.

....ahem: you were in the wrong queue then ! There is a separate one for licences :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I didn't join any queue! :(

Should have gone in the door to see anyway...I might get back in before closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It might still be busy tomorrow. If you have time, give it a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got in earlier. Silently pitying those who were waiting in that ridiculous queue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Anyone intending to renew/apply for either a learner permit or driving licence is required bring their forms to their local motor tax office or driving licence centre at their local authority. This will change as of October 29th 2013 whereby motorists/prospective motorists will be required to travel to the NDLS centre in their county in order to have their photograph taken and have it scanned onto their new licence/learner permit. Motorists will no longer be able to use 'passport photos' taken in various pharmacy stores for their licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ehh thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This was already mentioned in another thread recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

A motorist residing in the county of Galway for example has a choice of two NDLS centres to attend in order to have their photograph taken and driving licence processed;

A part-time clinic or kiosk will be located at the Station House Hotel in Clifden, Co. Galway

A full-time office will be located at Block 1, Cityeast Business Park, Ballybrit, Galway city.

These are the only two locations motorists residing in Galway MUST attend when renewing/applying for a driving licence as of October 29th 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

How many offices are opened at this moment, where you can apply for the licence / permit in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yes.
    I heard about it, and now I'm waiting for 29th to apply for my driving permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes.
    I heard about it, and now I'm waiting for 29th to apply for my driving permit.

Is it now going to be closer to you? What is the reason?

I don't feel affected by this change at all to be honest, but interested to see if this is improvent or not...

wonski wrote: »
    Is it now going to be closer to you? What is the reason?

I don't feel affected by this change at all to be honest, but interested to see if this is improvent or not...

When it comes to Mayo motor tax office, the way they operate is unacceptable.
    Every time I'm there, I go out agitated.

So the less I have to go there - the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Here in the one in leopardstown. Absolute nightmare.

No ticketing system and the camera system is on the blink...

So everyone is rushing around and no one knows who's next, people try to make a list of order and the centre are struggling to keep up with it.

They seemed to have opened way to early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

i've been to 2 of these centres in the last 2 days in relation to getting my licence renewed and the systems have been down both times.

Does anyone know if they are up and running yet? Don't want to be going all the way into Ennis again only to be told i'm wasting my time.

Don't even think theres a phone number to ring the particular office to check

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brady73

I went to Ballyogan this evening to find it closed with notice in window - "We have experienced a very high level of demand for our services today. We regret we are not in a position to accept further applications today..." There was nobody inside, staff or customers?!?!

I also love their claim of more convenient opening hours, namely 9 to 5, Mon to Fri. Oh and 9 to 2 on Sat... Any guesses how busy Saturdays are going to be?? Why roll out a service that clearly is not ready?

I was planning going tomorrow to Castlebar to apply for provisional.
    Looks like I should go early in the morning to make it before they fill their daily applications quota.

For sure! Guess I'll be up early Sat morning, the joys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Walked into the Cork centre yesterday, queue was out the door; walked back out again. Guess I'll have to wait a week or two to lose my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How did the post office not get the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

brady73 wrote: »
    I went to Ballyogan this evening to find it closed with notice in window - "We have experienced a very high level of demand for our services today. We regret we are not in a position to accept further applications today..." There was nobody inside, staff or customers?!?!

I also love their claim of more convenient opening hours, namely 9 to 5, Mon to Fri. Oh and 9 to 2 on Sat... Any guesses how busy Saturdays are going to be?? Why roll out a service that clearly is not ready?

What time were you there at? I was up there with my wife and daughter, queued for over an hour but got sorted. About 20 behind my wife and daughter and this was at half two.

• Advertisement

Got there about 4:40pm. Knew I was pushing it but they are supposed to be open till 5pm? Not looking forward to queue on Sat morning but no choice I guess. Otherwise it'll be time off work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

;)

Sounds about right. Mayhem it promised. Mayhem it delivered.

Lol at that comment..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

this service is a disgrace in form it is currently set up.

i went this am to Limerick and what i have observed in my visit is that these centers are a 'riot' waiting to happen. I arrived in Parkway Sc at 8am so I could be early as I had a commitmemt at 10am (I have an optimistic gene). On arriving there were already 6 in the queue. the center did not open until 9.15am which by that time there were 40/50 in the queue. on opening the center only one lady manned a desk while the other lady was trying to arrange an electrician for a blown bulb and forming a queue. It was well after 9.30am before both desks were operating.

While in the queue we were all chatting and there was a guy who spent 5 hours there yesterday and had to return today as he was missing some piece of paper yesterday, another lady was her third effort to get in. The queueing time is unacceptable as there is no water, toilets or even enough seats in place when people are queuing.. there are elderly people, those with young children etc queueing for far too long

Also I downloaded my form online to only discover this is no use as there is no bar code... so no advantage in getting prepared using online material

the issue for me is
    1. not enough desks
    2. not manning the desks that they already have - hire people!
    3. RSA need to come out and fix their supplier ie penalty clauses/ threaten termination and start the steps, I'm sure someone else will take this on
    4. need tpo look if there is an online option where customers can fill in data online and then present themselves for photo and payment to help sped the admin side

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is already a big thread about that here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056410

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Place was wedged. Premises was full, and line going out the door. I don't know is it just the first week, or a lunch hour rush.

Anyone else been to one yet?

278423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

The form printed off the net is fine. They print a baracode in the centre. Heard there may be a booking system coming into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

I've been thinking about that too, maybe a booking system will have to be brought in.
    I went to Limerick office too, office clearly too small for even the seating needs of the people attending it, but more mportantly, Not enough booths provided, only 3 provided! and yesterday, only 1 open, today 2 open, but Good Lord, anyone can see those cameras are expensive pieces of stuff, they should be being used to the full all day, and none of this nonsense: "Waiting for staff to come in", as we were told yesterday in Limerick. Helloooo? Staff means the people who work there, not people who may or may not turn up for work on any given day.......!!!!!
    Now that the office is in a shoppping centre which is open late till 9pm on Fridays, maybe the NDLS office should also stay open till 9pm on Fridays, mmm, there;s a point, I'll put that in my next email to NDLS (sent 2 already).

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

ted1 wrote: »
    How did the post office not get the contract?

I'm glad they didn't. Nothing worse than needing to post a parcel and the queue is out the door with people doing anything but posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

i applied to add a category to my licence on the 29th of oct
    the first day these new modern more streamline centers opened
    as of today still no sign of my new licence, so i rang them only
    to be told that my application is in the que system:confused:
    when i explained that i applied the very first day these centers
    opened she told me there still working on the first days applications :mad:
    so in effect after being opened for two and a half weeks, theyre is allready a two and a half week backlog. this bloody country would make your blood boil:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement