Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Took a total of 8 weeks to receive my first license. After 5 weeks I rang their (pretty difficult to find) number. Apparently there was an issue with my application. I had put down that I was born in the UK. They now wanted proof of citizenship although when I first applied I had my passport and they said it wasn't required. Anyways, they suggested I post my passport to Cork (lol). Instead I brought it to the centre.

They were also kind enough to send me an email stating that if I didn't post the passport within 10 days they would cancel the application.

This whole "lost in post" thing sounds familiar. Same thing happened with the registration cert for my car. I also was forced to report it missing as I had an upcoming NCT. Guard I reported it too said that it happens a lot and it is up to them to prove you didn't receive it as it is not sent registered.

In fairness though my postman is incompetent. The amount of mail I get for other people is obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the declaration specifically say ypu lost it or just that it's lost?something can be lost without you having lost it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Collards

exact wording on form:

"I declare my licence lost/stolen/damaged."

"I certify that the applicant has declared his/her licence lost/stolen/damaged."

I think it's a stretch for me to legally declare it as lost when I don't know this to be true as I wasn't yet the owner of the license when it was lost.

NDLS should be owning the process up until the time it arrives into my letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Collards wrote: »
    If that is happening, coylemj - you need to report it to An Post.

Nothing ever arrives to my address looking as though it's been tampered with.

You could have a bad egg in the system at your sorting office.

The fact that my bank is sending out new credit cards padded with leaflets means there is a bigger problem than just my sorting office.

I did report it to An Post, they couldn't have cared less. How are they going to track it down without CCTV cameras pointing at every stage of the process which the unions won't wear? And even then there's no way of monitoring the postman once he/she leaves the sorting office with the mailbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

coylemj wrote: »
    The fact that my bank is sending out new credit cards padded with leaflets means there is a bigger problem than just my sorting office.

I did report it to An Post, they couldn't have cared less. How are they going to track it down without CCTV cameras pointing at every stage of the process which the unions won't wear? And even then there's no way of monitoring the postman once he/she leaves the sorting office with the mailbag.

Registered post is the answer.
    This is a very serious issue. If alot generally are going missing in the post, it's quite a serious identity theft problem at the root of it and needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement

I believe the Public Services Cards were also sent via ordinary post.

In this case though, I think the point is they never made it past the NDLS Centre. They are saying "lost in post", but they never made it to the postal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

How long does it take for the license to arrive after attending the NDLS office?

I'm waiting 29 days now for mine, am traveling soon and will need the license to hire a car.

Can someone post up the contact phone number please? I can't find it on their website.

They say 2 weeks. Here is the Customer Service Number : +353 (0) 761 087 880

Nash - do come back to let us know what you're told.

Lies. At least 5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Was told that it was posted last Friday, 3rd October. It didn't arrive today so hopefully I will get it tomorrow or Thursday.

The delays for me seem to be down to processing rather than alleged postal problems.

It really is a poorly operated system though. 5 weeks driving with only a receipt as your licence. Can't travel or rent cars. I don't mind attending the NDLS office once every 10 years but there really is no reason that the licence cannot be printed there and then while you wait.

Was told that it was posted last Friday, 3rd October. It didn't arrive today so hopefully I will get it tomorrow or Thursday.

The delays for me seem to be down to processing rather than alleged postal problems.

It really is a poorly operated system though. 5 weeks driving with only a receipt as your licence. Can't travel or rent cars. I don't mind attending the NDLS office once every 10 years but there really is no reason that the licence cannot be printed there and then while you wait.
    Girl in the NDLS office told me I can drive with the receipt but it clearly states on said receipt that you cannot use it in place of a license.

Could your insurance company/ guards be crappy about it and say you weren't driving legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Girl in the NDLS office told me I can drive with the receipt but it clearly states on said receipt that you cannot use it in place of a license.

Could your insurance company/ guards be crappy about it and say you weren't driving legally?

Insurance is ok as it clearly states that if you had a licence and are not banned from having a licence that you are insured.
    A guard could give you grief for not having a licence on you or being able to present it within 10 days. In that case, I would take my chances in front of a judge explaining that I had done everything by the book and was left without a licence through no fault of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My first application was "lost in the post". The second arrived in 12 working days from the replacement application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I don't know why they need to keep your old one in the first place. I still have one of the older wallet type ones with the form glued onto one of the pages. So it's not a national security issue to leave you with the old one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

To add the icing to the cake that's a disguised low call number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

We had to wait over a month for my wife's one and I did send them an email complaining, happy we got it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

VeVeX wrote: »
    To add the icing to the cake that's a disguised low call number.

I don't think it's a 'disguised' anything, 076 xxxxx is designated by ComReg as a VoIP number and I believe is charged the same as any other national area code.

LoCall numbers start with 18xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vevey112

I applied for my renewal on 24th September... has anyone received theirs from city west in time? Can i drive without the licence does anyone know? and what happens if i get caught? Do they keep your old drivers licence number?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Wouldn't it be an idea to get a colour photocopy of your licence before sending it off.
    It would also help to ensure you got the correct categories on your new licence in case of a dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose wrote: »
    My new license is due in the post over the next couple of days, we'll see how we go...

Well, this arrived in this morning's post, only two days late according to the ETA the NDLS gave me on the day, and with everything spot-on. Who'd a thunk it, but fair furks where they're due. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Anybody notice the contact number for the NDLS is removed from their website now?
    No number to call or am I going mad?

http://www.ndls.ie/en/about-us/contact-us-details.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, this arrived in this morning's post, only two days late according to the ETA the NDLS gave me on the day, and with everything spot-on. Who'd a thunk it, but fair furks where they're due. :D

Or two days overdue in your case and you're applauding them ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Or two days overdue in your case and you're applauding them ? :confused:

It's a bit like the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. The sense of achievement felt when getting anything sensible out of them during the same decade as making an application largely supersedes awareness of the fact that they are a Byzantine oxygen-wasting boondoggle. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Surely if they're wasting people's time having to go and visit them in person, the least they could have is printing facilities there and then so you walk away with your new license. It's got to be less costly than having a back office plus postal charges.

They could always require extra review of "dodgy" or otherwise unusual applications at head office before allowing a print in-office when approved.

If it's your first licence be sure to photocopy the certificate of competence and send off to your insurer. I know AA only insure from the date they receive either a scan of the cert or a scan of your licence and do not back date. I lost out on 2 months of reduced insurance because the NDLS were so slow.

Even so AA tell me my premium reduced by 210 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yet to receive mine, buddy was in the same centre day before and he got his over a week ago.

Why in the hell is their no printers onsite. Its beyond ridiculous. I can only assume they send them off to the UK or some crap to be printed by some company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was just wondering if anyone had done this with an expired photo card licence?

the paper licence itself is still valid, but the photo card ID is only valid for 10 years and expired a while ago, so I was wondering if it would still be possible to get it swapped over, or if the photo card still needs to be in date?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Had a similar situation myself recently (UK photocard 2 months out of date, paper part with another 30 years on it), but there was no straight swap option and had to apply per normal.

Got very mixed info on what was needed though...first time I was told that I had to call the DVLA and get them to fax over a form confirming I was who I said I was and that I had a clean license, then the next person I saw at the NDLS said a fax was no good and I needed an original sent in the mail from the DVLA. Then when I eventually had everything together (took DVLA 5-6 weeks to send form) I roll up at the NDLS office and the person I spoke to (different from the other 2) said I didn't even need that form. Whole process took about 3-4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aha, the old traditional irish "luck o' the draw" method! :D

thanks for the tip, i might just chance my arm and see how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement