Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hi guys,Quick question,i am 34 and renewing my driving licence,do i need a medical cert for renewing my licence?Thanks all:)

all here http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/Medical-Issues/

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Oh yeah, mine was about 13 days as well.
    Not too bad really. Only had to wait for a few minutes at the NDLS office, staff were good to deal with.
    It is a bit strange when you go in there and there's no system for who's being seen next etc., just work it out amongst yourselves. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

They're getting better! Myself and Mrs. D applied for new licenses on 24th October and received both today. Not too shabby, just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hi guys,Quick question,i am 34 and renewing my driving licence,do i need a medical cert for renewing my licence?Thanks all:)

You only need a medical report if you answer yes to any of the medical questions on the application form OR if you have lorries or buses on your current licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So I'm just back from the NDLS centre after applying for my first full license and they kept my provisional license, is this right? Or was I supposed to get the physical card back? I asked the woman working at the centre if I could use the receipt as a license while I wait for it and she said yes, but the receipt says I can't, so what's the deal?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »
    So I'm just back from the NDLS centre after applying for my first full license and they kept my provisional license, is this right? Or was I supposed to get the physical card back? I asked the woman working at the centre if I could use the receipt as a license while I wait for it and she said yes, but the receipt says I can't, so what's the deal?

Thanks!

while the receipt isnt a licence if you get stopped by the guards and show it you should be fine. Well maybe if the guard is in a very bad mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Beano wrote: »
    while the receipt isnt a licence if you get stopped by the guards and show it you should be fine. Well maybe if the guard is in a very bad mood.

I don't plan on doing major/proper journeys until I have the physical license, just if I need to get to school etc. Thanks!

I don't plan on doing major/proper journeys until I have the physical license, just if I need to get to school etc. Thanks!

Dont forget your 'N' plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

Thanks!

Yes, they're supposed to send off your provisional with your application. It does say on the receipt that it can't be used in place of a licence but that's just to cover them. There's a contradiction in the law that the RSA & the government need to sort out. The law says that you must have your licence on you when you're driving but yet you must send your old licence away to get a new one. So I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone in the country that has applied to the centres is/was in the same boat as you. Legally if the Garda want to be awkward about it they can. I hear that law is being looked into at the minute so I'd keep the receipt on you anyway. At least it shows that you've sent your old licence off. If you're waiting longer than 3 weeks for your licence I'd ring their customer services. I got mine in less than 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm renewing a learning permit. As it's my third permit it says I need certificate of failure of having sat a test or evidence of a new test booked. Is there any time limit on the date of certificate of failure? It's a few years since I sat the test and failed it, haven't been driving since so I'd like to get some practice and lessons in before booking a new test.

The online contact form seems to be broken and I can't see a phone number for NDLS.

• Advertisement

I'm renewing a learning permit. As it's my third permit it says I need certificate of failure of having sat a test or evidence of a new test booked. Is there any time limit on the date of certificate of failure? It's a few years since I sat the test and failed it, haven't been driving since so I'd like to get some practice and lessons in before booking a new test.

The online contact form seems to be broken and I can't see a phone number for NDLS.

from the ndls website
    If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit you must submit evidence - that you have sat a driving test (Failure certificate, dated within 2 years of application) or - that you have a forthcoming driving test. This must be a printed document from the RSA.

Ah, thank you, the explanation of everything on the form omitted the 2 years information, you'd think they'd have it there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Ah, thank you, the explanation of everything on the form omitted the 2 years information, you'd think they'd have it there.

Thanks.

In fairness-if all the information required for every application type was printed on the application form, it would rival the Encyclopedia Britannica!! The information required is on the website, or can be obtained by visiting a centre or calling the helpline

shinikins wrote: »
    In fairness-if all the information required for every application type was printed on the application form, it would rival the Encyclopedia Britannica!! The information required is on the website, or can be obtained by visiting a centre or calling the helpline

I don't agree, it would have only been 4 extra words in the paragraph and is pretty vital to the application. My application wouldn't have been processed without knowing the full criteria. I simply missed the information that was on one section of the website, it was omitted on the checklist I was reading. Their contact us link was broken so no access to a phone number and I have my appointment to visit the centre but there's no point going without having everything organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I don't agree, it would have only been 4 extra words in the paragraph and is pretty vital to the application. My application wouldn't have been processed without knowing the full criteria. I simply missed the information that was on one section of the website, it was omitted on the checklist I was reading. Their contact us link was broken so no access to a phone number and I have my appointment to visit the centre but there's no point going without having everything organised.

The statement of failure has this information printed on it, so to have it printed on an application form is overkill IMO. Again, if all of the information for every application type was printed on the form, it would take hours to read through-the form doesn't cover just renewals, it also encompasses change of address, change of name, add categories, removing categories, lost/stolen/damaged licence...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I recently got my licence renewal notice from NDLS however in NCT-like form I can't get an appointment for at least 4 weeks. Of course, my licence is due for renewal in three weeks.

Does anyone have experience with these NDLS centres? I know an appointment isn't mandatory but will I be waiting there all day if I just walk in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Rabbo wrote: »
    I recently got my licence renewal notice from NDLS however in NCT-like form I can't get an appointment for at least 4 weeks. Of course, my licence is due for renewal in three weeks.

Does anyone have experience with these NDLS centres? I know an appointment isn't mandatory but will I be waiting there all day if I just walk in?

Thanks

I was going past the Citywest one recently and there was a queue of about 10 people outside before it opened, can't remember how long before opening sorry. No idea how quick they are once in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

No need for appointment, bring your old licence and proof of pps No.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Thanks. Must get it done asap as I know I'll have to wait for it in post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Get there before it opens if you've no appointment. You'll be out quicker, luck of the draw for getting seen quickly if you don't get there early. (arrive at 11 and you may not get appt till much later in the day)

Got there myself at about 8 and was 4th / 5th in the queue!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

If I go in at 9am on Saturday with no appointment am I likely to get seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why not ring them??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm in the same boat - the reason is because all Saturdays are booked up til mid-February.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Santry has over 100 walk-in slots available each and every day. They run a dual system, half slots are online (usually booked out for two weeks in adavnce), the rest are walk-ins. Be there early and you should be out within the hour. You simply type your name in the ipad when you enter and get a number. Then just wait to be called.

Why not ring them??

you can't speak to the individual centers, just a central number.

Didn't know they showed walk in numbers on the website so once I saw those I'm sure I'll get seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Opinions please on the ndls for issuing licenses. Well my old licence is just expired and appears to be lost. So I will need to get a declaration from the Garda. It occurred to me (I am sure not the first person), why can't they issue licenses from the garda station. Would it make it easier to verified that point have been applied to a license, if license required presenting to the garda to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not police work to issue driving licences.
    They just check that you have one (if they stop you). Same with NCT, blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thought I posted this in it own thread. Was a little confused to see 506 response. :p

TRS30 wrote: »
    you can't speak to the individual centers, just a central number.

Didn't know they showed walk in numbers on the website so once I saw those I'm sure I'll get seen.

Went up at 8.40, two of us done by 9.40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 rafapietrzyk

Hello, i have question for you! could you tell me how long waiting for get new driving licence? i make my driving licence last friday today is friday one week time 5 working days and get notnig by post office. I can't find answer how long you must waiting for that i am a bit nervous because Garda check me and say recipt is not driving licence they say me this is last time when pass me i must get my driving licence before i go on the street but i working 20 km for Home and this is stupid how long must wait for that. Thanks for any answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement