Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

You would normally have to make an appointment at your nearest NDLS centre, but as far as I know - you can go to your local tax office in your town and give them two clear photos that are signed by you on the back of the two photos but it will cost a few quid more to do it this way. If you have a local tax office in your town then give them a call and they will be glad to help.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    "You can also visit any NDLS Centre without an appointment

Please be aware that available slots for people walking in are on a first come first served basis and fill up very quickly."

Source

I'd advise against visiting without an appointment because when I walked in without an appointment I was told via computer that I had to wait 4 hours to be seen.

You should most definitely download the learner permit renewal form from NDLS website and fill it in with a Black ink pen as they will not accept this if using a blue ink pen, it has to be a black ink pen to use to fill out the form or they will tell you to do it again. Then bring that form into them with your old drivers license and all asked documentation and ppsn and that will be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You would normally have to make an appointment at your nearest NDLS centre, but as far as I know - you can go to your local tax office in your town and give them two clear photos that are signed by you on the back of the two photos but it will cost a few quid more to do it this way. If you have a local tax office in your town then give them a call and they will be glad to help.

You cannot do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Motor Tax offices have no involvement in driver licensing anymore, it's solely NDLS.
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Finance/Motor%20Tax
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Motor_Tax/
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/motortaxation/
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/driving/driving-licences/

I see. I thought it was still possible to renew your license in the local tax-office. Well thanks for clarifying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Goose81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have to renew my driver permit for a bike that is out of date in the next few days, I have a full car licence already.

Is it correct that I have to make an appointment at a centre to renew my licence?

They have all my details including digital picture on file already

Surely that cant be right and I can post it in, the next available date is in October with no offices in town what a terrible service

tks

Under certain circumstances the NDLS will invite you to renew by post but as a rule of thumb, if you haven't received a renewal pack in the post, then you don't qualify.

They will need an up to date photo and they will need to take the photo on the day. My brother went from stubbley to full Grizzly Adams in a year and this ensures everything is as fresh as possible in case it's a long time before you're back. Not like the old days when your passport photos were 6 years old when you renewed.

Everything the NDLS do is decreed by the RSA so it's not about service- it's much more about bureaucracy and a Wizard of Oz syndrome

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

NDLS got my address wrong. Put 55 when it should of been 56. Ive actually completely moved from the address now and I'd need to get it changed to my new address. Any idea what forms etc I need to fill out? Or can I just queue up and get them to change it on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

NDLS got my address wrong. Put 55 when it should of been 56. Ive actually completely moved from the address now and I'd need to get it changed to my new address. Any idea what forms etc I need to fill out? Or can I just queue up and get them to change it on the day?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/updating_your_driving_licence_or_learner_permit.html

You'll just need the application form (D401) in the new address and valid proof of the new address but you won't need to prove your PPSN- you just need it for the first visit.

The card error would have been reissued without quibble and without the need for you to do anything other than contact them to have it checked out. It's up to you whether you want to raise the issue of the error or not but it won't affect the change of address application process at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I made an appointment at the local NDLS office to exchange a UK - Irish driving license. I was told it would take up to 8 working days to get the new license - this is important as I travel a lot for work and rent cars.... 3 weeks have passed and no license. I'm travelling to UK next week on business and need to rent a car. So I ring NDLS and they inform me it could take up to 3 months to get the new license......I told them what I had been told at the interview and he apologized for me being mis informed but there was not a thing that could be done. I told him my job depends upon it but he couldnt say anything other than 3 months. I even asked him in his experience what the likely turn around time would be uk-Irish but wouldnt tell me anything other than 3 months and saying anything else would be speculative..... P1ssed off is not the words for it.....:mad::mad::mad:

Has anyone here exchanged the license from UK-Irish? If so how long did it take? My employer is going to do a back flip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

223vmax wrote: »
    I made an appointment at the local NDLS office to exchange a UK - Irish driving license. I was told it would take up to 8 working days to get the new license - this is important as I travel a lot for work and rent cars.... 3 weeks have passed and no license. I'm travelling to UK next week on business and need to rent a car. So I ring NDLS and they inform me it could take up to 3 months to get the new license......I told them what I had been told at the interview and he apologized for me being mis informed but there was not a thing that could be done. I told him my job depends upon it but he couldnt say anything other than 3 months. I even asked him in his experience what the likely turn around time would be uk-Irish but wouldnt tell me anything other than 3 months and saying anything else would be speculative..... P1ssed off is not the words for it.....:mad::mad::mad:

Has anyone here exchanged the license from UK-Irish? If so how long did it take? My employer is going to do a back flip!
    Why would you want an Irish driving licence? You like penalty points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Could you report your UK one lost and get a replacement Uk one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Could you report your UK one lost and get a replacement Uk one?
    That could leave 223vmax in a worse situation, possibly with no licence at all.
    Part of the exchange process is to validate the UK licence so when the DVLA discover the OP claimed a lost UK licence after applying for an exchange they may revoke his UK licence and it's replacement for his deceit (possibly criminal charges too). Then the NDLS would not be able to issue an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Why would you want an Irish driving licence? You like penalty points?

I rent cars in the UK. If I get flashed by speed van and automatic fine and fine go to old address, I don't pay because I'm not aware that the fine was issued. So if I'm pulled in UK by police and there is a load of none payments against me, I'm in jail for court appearance. Its something I can do without. Plus my old paper one is in absolute bits. You cant even read driver number of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I rent cars in the UK. If I get flashed by speed van and automatic fine and fine go to old address, I don't pay because I'm not aware that the fine was issued. So if I'm pulled in UK by police and there is a load of none payments against me, I'm in jail for court appearance. Its something I can do without. Plus my old paper one is in absolute bits. You cant even read driver number of it.....

In that case, good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Had an appointment in Wexford at 9am yesterday morning. Door opened on the dot. Approx 15 minutes later I was out, done and dusted. No other appointments came in that period and only one walk-in. Could have been a fluke but an early morning walk-in seems to be the go

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I accompanied someone to the NDLS centre in Cork on Saturday morning. They had no appointment, so we were prepared for a long wait. However, they have these new machines by the entrance where you tap in your name and one or two basic pieces of information, and it issues you an appointment number. We were called and sorted out about 25 minutes later, out the door. Having said that it was a quiet sort of morning in there, but I was almost impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Susan Rey

I also waited a long time for my driving permit. good luck for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jimgoose wrote: »
    I accompanied someone to the NDLS centre in Cork on Saturday morning. They had no appointment, so we were prepared for a long wait. However, they have these new machines by the entrance where you tap in your name and one or two basic pieces of information, and it issues you an appointment number. We were called and sorted out about 25 minutes later, out the door. Having said that it was a quiet sort of morning in there, but I was almost impressed.

Same experience there recently.. appointment was booked to renew but they were in and out in under 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

Hoping someone will be able to help me.

My learner permit recently expired, however, I passed my driving test a couple of months ago so I'm ready to rock as far as getting the full one. I was away for 6 weeks so didn't get round to sorting it - I also got a letter regarding the expiring learner's permit just before I left. As I had already been to a a NDLS centre it said all I needed to do was enclose a fee for a renewal and proof of sitting a test. Would this apply for me passing it? Can I simply post in the full driving licence form and my certificate of passing and not worry about the NDLS again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

spillit67 wrote: »
    Hoping someone will be able to helparrow-10x10.png me.

My learner permit recently expired, however, I passed my driving test a couple of months ago so I'm ready to rock as far as getting the full one. I was away for 6 weeks so didn't get round to sorting it - I also got a letter regarding the expiring learner's permit just before I left. As I had already been to a a NDLS centre it said all I needed to do was enclose a fee for a renewal and proof of sitting a test. Would this apply for me passing it? Can I simply post in the full driving licence form and my certificate of passing and not worry about the NDLS again?

all here

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#where-it-is-your-first-application-for-a-full-licence-having-passed-a-driving-test-you-must-submit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

100% definitely don't try to apply for your full licence using the renewal pack for your learner permit. You must go to the NDLS centre to apply for your full licence.

Not the case with the letter I got. I was in the centre last year for renewal of my learner's permit.

Not the case with the letter I got. I was in the centre last year for renewal of my learner's permit.

but you are not renewing your learners permit. You are exchanging it for a full licence. You need to make an appointment and go in to them. The link i posted earlier has all the info you need.

It doesn't though actually.
    In many cases you may only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face-to-face application. It is our intention to provide a service that will allow you to get subsequent licences and learner permits through an online service commencing in 2016.

I will call them to check.

Thanks.

It doesn't though actually.

I will call them to check.

Thanks.

*checks date* nope, not 2016.

*checks date* nope, not 2016.

That's online. It's what the letter said.

On hold:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Presently only renewals by invite are accepted via post. All 1st time full licence applicants, and those for replacements (damaged, lost etc) and exchanges must present in an ndls office. The only other exception is people living temporarily abroad who can contact RSA directly via post to renew or replace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement