Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

Did any of you were stopped by Gardai and produced this paper from ndls that application is in progress?
    Due to my foreign licence I have to do exchange and they said it may take 6 weeks! -:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Dagged wrote: »
    Did any of you were stopped by Gardai and produced this paper from ndls that application is in progress?
    Due to my foreign licence I have to do exchange and they said it may take 6 weeks! -:(

I'd suggest taking a good quality copy of your licence front and back and/ or your Foreign Letter of Entitlement too before exchanging. I would be very surprised if a Guard would make trouble for someone who was otherwise legal and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Applied for first full licence at Leopardstown NDLS, first available appointment was approx 3 weeks away so chanced a walk in last week, got there around 9.15 on Weds, tapped my name on the machine and estimated wait time was 15 mins but it turned out I was the second person seen and I was out in no time, very impressed by the process and staff there.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd suggest taking a good quality copy of your licence front and back and/ or your Foreign Letter of Entitlement too before exchanging. I would be very surprised if a Guard would make trouble for someone who was otherwise legal and above board.

I did not do it... As i though they would give me some legitimate as it was before with Motor tax office... ehhh i hope the slip form NDLS will do or my driving licence will arrive before any Gardai will stop me -:)

pm1977x wrote: »
    Applied for first full licence at Leopardstown NDLS, first available appointment was approx 3 weeks away so chanced a walk in last week, got there around 9.15 on Weds, tapped my name on the machine and estimated wait time was 15 mins but it turned out I was the second person seen and I was out in no time, very impressed by the process and staff there.

Same happened to me. Nearest appointment was on 4th November with all NDLS offices. As work in Sandyford I drove to Leopardstown on one on my lunch break and key in my name to machine, 25 minutes and done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Applied for full in person with walk in appointment. Strolled in at 1.55, about 7 people ahead of me in the queue. Was seen by 2.07, out by 2.10.

I am still waiting for mine one..... almost 3 weeks....

Dagged wrote: »
    I am still waiting for mine one..... almost 3 weeks....

You need to call them because one of two things has happened; the processing department have found problems with your application and have made attempts to contact you that haven't gotten through; or it's been lost in the post.

If the former, you're better off talking to them to resolve the problem or you could have your application rejected. If the latter, you need to log that you haven't received it in order to ensure that you can avail of a free replacement. If you delay too long, remember there is a cutoff point in time after which you will have to reapply again from scratch.

Hey @cantdecide

Thanks for advice. I will give them a call.

Regards
    Dagged

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

When you go in, in person, is the licence issued on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Anybody know what times walk in appointments are available in the ndls centers?? Tried to book an appointment for one day this week online as my licence is due for renewal on the 5th but the earliest available isnt till next week. I also tried to find a contact number on the site so i could ring to get an answer but had no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

evosteo wrote: »
    Anybody know what times walk in appointments are available in the ndls centers?? Tried to book an appointment for one day this week online as my licence is due for renewal on the 5th but the earliest available isnt till next week. I also tried to find a contact number on the site so i could ring to get an answer but had no luck.

All I can tell you is my experience in Wexford. Went online and booked an appointment for 9am on a certain day. Process took about 20 minutes and in that time nobody arrived for a 'walk in'. Perhaps try and call to your local centre and queue before they open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They usually have a few slots when they open first in the morning, no guarantee tho'.

Cheers for the replys. I called into clare hall ndls after work on friday and wasnt sure what the set up was. Thought i may have been take a ticket and wait but i seen the little unit to book and appointment . Started to fill it out and the girl ran out said they were booked up for the day and to book online or come back for a walk in appointment. She didnt say what times they were at though. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sammcd84

Anyone know roughly how long it will take for me to get my first license after applying for it last Thursday morning?
    They said it would be about 10 working days but im hoping theres a good a chance it will come sooner as I need it for work. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

I was unaware of the booking process and just walked into Drogheda NDL center and didn't have to wait at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sammcd84 wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how long it will take for me to get my first license after applying for it last Thursday morning?
    They said it would be about 10 working days but im hoping theres a good a chance it will come sooner as I need it for work. Thanks

i received mine in a week. you might get lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sammcd84

fingers crossed! thanks

They're turning them around pretty quickly at the moment because of the tail-off for Christmas. Assuming you can avoid any discrepancies or problems, I think you shouldn't have to wait any more than the stated time at the outside.

EDIT:

Hence this

370271.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I lost my licence last week while in the UK. Anyway as I guessed it has not shown up. I reported it to the garda straightaway and have all my forms etc ready to roll. Only problem is the earliest date I can get is December 29th in Santry so I took it. I am now thinking of calling into the Wexford office next week as a walk in while I am down there. Anyone know if I can do this without cancelling the December 29th appointment? Don't want to cancel and then not be seen in Wexford. Please and thanks.

RAFA B wrote: »
    I lost my licence last week while in the UK. Anyway as I guessed it has not shown up. I reported it to the garda straightaway and have all my forms etc ready to roll. Only problem is the earliest date I can get is December 29th in Santry so I took it. I am now thinking of calling into the Wexford office next week as a walk in while I am down there. Anyone know if I can do this without cancelling the December 29th appointment? Don't want to cancel and then not be seen in Wexford. Please and thanks.
    Just go for the walk in. Your appointment will just skip to the next person on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Just go for the walk in. Your appointment will just skip to the next person on the day

Will do that so. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Received my licence today after applying on the 20th in Omni (walk in).

Impressed with that.

An Post sent it to the wrong address though but thankfully the person was decent and dropped it around to me earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

I have a full Irish B paper licence.

I also have a learner permit C paper licence with an old address that expired last year(although I believe I can still renew within 5 years??)

Will these licences stay separate or if I bring both in can they both be put onto the 1 card? Would like to get everything up to date if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

NickDunne wrote: »
    I have a full Irish B paper licence.

I also have a learner permit C paper licence with an old address that expired last year(although I believe I can still renew within 5 years??)

Will these licences stay separate or if I bring both in can they both be put onto the 1 card? Would like to get everything up to date if possible.

Have you passed your C driving test? If not, then you will still have two seperate licences. Check your learner permit for code 992/993-you will need proof of a test failure or test booking to renew if you have either of those codes.

shinikins wrote: »
    Have you passed your C driving test? If not, then you will still have two seperate licences. Check your learner permit for code 992/993-you will need proof of a test failure or test booking to renew if you have either of those codes.

No haven't taken the test yet, it's only my first LP I'm renewing.

So I'd be better off waiting to pass my C test, then change the B licence to credit card type and get the whole lot sorted at the same time?

So I'd be better off waiting to pass my C test, then change the B licence to credit card type and get the whole lot sorted at the same time?

If your full licence is in date and all the details are correct then there's nothing to do apart from renew your learner permit. Learner categories can't be incorporated onto full licences so full entitlements and learner categories will always be on separate cards.

You can renew the permit as long as it hasn't expired for 5 years or more. If the address on your full licence is correct, the address on your permit will be updated to match the full without any further proof. Apart from that, it should be a very straight forward renewal as long as you don't wish to add other learner categories such as motorcycles, buses or the car+trailer.

If you go and pass the C test, at that stage you'd update your full licence with the new full entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Check that you have a valid medical that will cover another renewal of the learner permit. I'm assuming you got your first learner in 2013, which means you should have a medical on file that will cover you until 2018, but it needs to cover you for a full two years from the date of application. If it's short of two years, even by one day, you will need to submit a new medical report.

Then, once you pass your driving test, you can submit the Cert of Competency, the full Licence, learner permit and a new medical, and a fee of €35. This will give you a full Licence with your relevant categories on credit card format, and you have the bonus of having your lower categories extended for 10 further years.

• Advertisement

I got my first permit in October 2012 so I think I've missed the boat by 2 months. Just my luck :rolleyes: My own fault for leaving it so long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement