Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

I'm waiting 4 weeks now . From the Leitrim NDLS centre . I'm looking to take out a new car insurance policy within the next week or so and I'm hoping the receipt from the NDLS will be sufficient as a temp license to whatever company I go with . My license number is printed on it so hopefully it will be enough. I have made numerous phone calls and sent emails and I keep getting the same reply . It's processing !!!! .
    To be honest it's a joke ., some people on here are waiting nearly 2 months for a very important item . Which if you don't carry on you at all times while driving , may result in fines , court , etc etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

mitosis wrote: »
    NDLS are only part of the problem - the major reason there are delays is all the twats who "Lost" their paper licence so they could get a credit card one to go with their german style plates. The volume of applications is way beyond what it should be.

How can it possibly take over 2 month to process a licence when I was in college they took all your detail and photo and printed off your college ID card there and then simple
    Would that not make a lot of sense??
    Therefore no waiting time whatsoever!!
    Brains anyone??

Colash wrote: »
    I'm waiting 4 weeks now . From the Leitrim NDLS centre . I'm looking to take out a new car insurance policy within the next week or so and I'm hoping the receipt from the NDLS will be sufficient as a temp license to whatever company I go with . My license number is printed on it so hopefully it will be enough. I have made numerous phone calls and sent emails and I keep getting the same reply . It's processing !!!! .
    To be honest it's a joke ., some people on here are waiting nearly 2 months for a very important item . Which if you don't carry on you at all times while driving , may result in fines , court , etc etc .

You're lucky you even got a receiept with your driver number mine just says 0000000 and so means nothing!!

el pasco wrote: »
    How can it possibly take over 2 month to process a licence when I was in college they took all your detail and photo and printed off your college ID card there and then simple
    Would that not make a lot of sense??
    Therefore no waiting time whatsoever!!
    Brains anyone??

What baffles me is that a passport takes a lot less time to process . And it's a far more complicated item to produce than a credit card sized drivers license

mitosis wrote: »
    NDLS are only part of the problem - the major reason there are delays is all the twats who "Lost" their paper licence so they could get a credit card one to go with their german style plates. The volume of applications is way beyond what it should be.

That's complete and utter crap and you know it as the new licence was out since last January 2013 and the NDLS didn't start until Nov 2013 and I got my new credit card style drivers licence back in January in 2 days when the council did it so explain that then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's complete and utter crap and you know it as the new licence was out since last January 2013 and the NDLS didn't start until Nov 2013 and I got my new credit card style drivers licence back in January in 2 days when the council did it so explain that then??

It all seems to be down to incompetence tbh - I can confirm that College ID cards can be done there and then very quickly - as I had one as well.

I assume all colleges are the same - but my student allowed the following

a) When I went to print something in college on the college computer network - id go to a printer scan card - which bought up what id printed. I could only print off - my own stuff

b) Library could see what books I had out etc - by scanning my card - and could see exactly how much money i owed in fines (if any owed) for books over due.

c) while i was there - there were just introducing a new system for the 1st years where they had to scan in for lectures with their cards - this would show on the college system that you had attended - and thus they could track your exact attendance.

This was all i assume done through my student number - as far as i know - which like bank cards - was on my card.

Makes one wonder why it takes so epically long to get these things sorted for the driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The council were only handling the applications. The licences were being produced centrally. As you were in at the start, there was hardly time for a backlog of form, or for folks to start turning in their old licences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Has anyone had any luck hurrying them up by ringing them?
    I really need my licence back by the 20th of this month (that will be only 4 weeks since I applied)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

pred racer wrote: »
    I really need my licence back by the 20th of this month (that will be only 4 weeks since I applied)

I told them lies that I need to buy car insurance,hire a car abroad etc. and ..... no luck :D Still no licence since 5 weeks:P

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I applied for my learner permit 8th weeks ago today. I had all the docs which I required with me at the centre. Since then, I called them 3 times and e-mailled them twice. I called them today and they told me that I had no eye test report. I was furious - to think that the people working at the my ''local'' centre could have been that - + to think that they expected me to pay 70euro for eye tests and take time off. I asked would the old one do (only valid for 30 days). No. I asked could I speak to the manager. No I couldn't. I asked could a manager call me back. No they couldn't. I asked if I could scan the doc. No I couldn't. I rang back 20 mins later, speaking to a different person. Yes it was fine. Send it on no problem.

And the waiting continues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I told them lies that I need to buy car insurance,hire a car abroad etc. and ..... no luck :D Still no licence since 5 weeks:P

I have to go to the states for a training course! I cant spend a month in Texas with no car:eek:
    I'll ring them tomorrow. Fortunately I can back up my lies if required;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The council were only handling the applications. The licences were being produced centrally. As you were in at the start, there was hardly time for a backlog of form, or for folks to start turning in their old licences etc.

No, they were produced in the Council and just printed centrally.

I've made 2 phone calls and sent an email . And nothing . These people won't be hurried along it seems :(

So what different between Jan '13 and Oct '13 and now then in regards to the council handing the applications and the NDLS handing the applications and both if them being processed centrally??

And your second point doesn't make any sense as I apply the NDLS on the FIRST day that it opened so there could not of being a backlog

pred racer wrote: »

I rang them numerous times and you spend ages waiting on the phone just to get an answer it bizzare as you go in the queue from 10 in the queue to 20 in the queue and then 5 and then 8

When they do answer they don't seem to know a lot about anything actually
    Not the brightest tool in the box so to speak

So what different between Jan '13 and Oct '13 and now then in regards to the council handing the applications and the NDLS handing the applications and both if them being processed centrally??

And your second point doesn't make any sense as I apply the NDLS on the FIRST day that it opened so there could not of being a backlog

..and no backlog is why you got it so quickly.

The back end processing had changed. Pre the start of last year, the councils produced the old licences. After that, the new licences/learner permits were to be processed centrally, while the front end process still took place via the Motor Tax offices. From the (confusing) information you're giving, you were in at the start of that process if you did it at the very start of Jan 13.

In the beginning, the lack of publicity and the lack of workload meant a turnaround was quick. I'd imagine quite a lot of people didn't even know a new type of licence was coming until towards the official launch of the NDLS service and the associated publicity. Therefore the volume was steady, but even prior to the launch of the NDLS some local authorities were flagging up increasing delays with the turnaround time. Then you have the full launch, and the full responsibility being thrust on to the NDLS and the whole thing is grinding to a halt, and folks adding unnecessary weight on that is making the whole thing worse.

There's massively unacceptable delays, but you can't dismiss mitosis' point because it seems that is certainly not helping matters.

I think the biggest issue is an utter lack of actual, detailed explanations coming from the RSA/NDLS about whole issue. Delays are one thing, but the vague and pointless trickle of info coming from those responsible is even worse because it leaves nobody any the wiser.

This issue was addressed on the radio recently . The joe Duffy show if I remember correctly . He was bombarded with texts and calls of people waiting for their new license and not knowing were they acutally legal to drive .
    I think it's just another step backwards for us as a nation . This issue shouldn't be an issue . People will acutally hold off on license replacement and applications now and who would blame them with 2 month turn around times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

..and no backlog is why you got it so quickly.

The back end processing had changed. Pre the start of last year, the councils produced the old licences. After that, the new licences/learner permits were to be processed centrally, while the front end process still took place via the Motor Tax offices. From the (confusing) information you're giving, you were in at the start of that process if you did it at the very start of Jan 13.

In the beginning, the lack of publicity and the lack of workload meant a turnaround was quick. I'd imagine quite a lot of people didn't even know a new type of licence was coming until towards the official launch of the NDLS service and the associated publicity. Therefore the volume was steady, but even prior to the launch of the NDLS some local authorities were flagging up increasing delays with the turnaround time. Then you have the full launch, and the full responsibility being thrust on to the NDLS and the whole thing is grinding to a halt, and folks adding unnecessary weight on that is making the whole thing worse.

There's massively unacceptable delays, but you can't dismiss mitosis' point because it seems that is certainly not helping matters.

I think the biggest issue is an utter lack of actual, detailed explanations coming from the RSA/NDLS about whole issue. Delays are one thing, but the vague and pointless trickle of info coming from those responsible is even worse because it leaves nobody any the wiser.

Actually, there have been serious delays from the time the card licence was first issued in Jan last year.

My husband was one of the first to apply for one from the Motor Tax Office in Model Farm Rd, Cork. It took eight weeks to issue, and caused issues with our insurance which was renewed at the same time. I had to kick up a stink before I could get a disc for the car. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83115208http:// here.

The whole system has been a shambles for a year. Made much worse by the introduction of the central unit.

Buffyboat that information you have about them being processed centrally is 100% incorrect. They were PRINTED centrally but the PRINTER had no hand in the processing of them which was done from start to finish-front and back office- by council staff up to the changeover.

You're lucky you even got a receiept with your driver number mine just says 0000000 and so means nothing!!

Jesus Christ. Had heard that but thought it couldn't be true.

• Advertisement

Caledonia wrote: »
    Buffyboat that information you have about them being processed centrally is 100% incorrect. They were PRINTED centrally but the PRINTER had no hand in the processing of them which was done from start to finish-front and back office- by council staff up to the changeover.

I think you might have misunderstood me. I mean the production of the actual licencing was centralised. As I said above, the front end processing of the applications was with the local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

I applied for my renewal back at the start of Nov and still no licence !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Right but everything in the production of the cards apart from printing was done by the Council before the handover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This post has been deleted.

Totally agree. It's a nonsense of a system which was ill-conceived, poorly spec'd out and poorly executed. Looks as though the NDLS hasn't been properly costed out due to the apparent lack of staff.

I think you might have misunderstood me. I mean the production of the actual licencing was centralised. As I said above, the front end processing of the applications was with the local authorities.

The front middle and, imo back, including scanning of all completed applications for document imaging was done by the Council, the absolute tail end by the Printers.

..which is pretty much what I said :rolleyes:. Anyway, semantics aside it's dragging the whole thing off the point, which I'm sure mods would appreciate not happening.

The point remains, it's gone from bad to appalling since they've taken on the entire process. No one's disputing that, but it's not helped by people doing renewals etc that weren't needed to get the new style licence (and I've encountered two older folks who thought they *had* to get a new style licence).

No offence but it's a bit much to call in the mods when accurate info is given. :cool:

It's also relevant. The NDLS got way in over their head. There was more than enough time for the RSA to plan for this, they have had mgt consultants and senior staff working on this for 1-2years, even an extra month's grace when they started to realise things weren't as simple and the changeover date was moved back by a month to give them extra time.
    No excuses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I've applied through NDLS and have braced myself for a wait. Do you think it's OK to sit driving lessons with just a copy of your certificates etc? Really was looking forward to cracking into driving for New Years, but at the rate things are moving who knows what year that'll be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Actually, there have been serious delays from the time the card licence was first issued in Jan last year.

My husband was one of the first to apply for one from the Motor Tax Office in Model Farm Rd, Cork. It took eight weeks to issue, and caused issues with our insurance which was renewed at the same time. I had to kick up a stink before I could get a disc for the car. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83115208http:// here.

The whole system has been a shambles for a year. Made much worse by the introduction of the central unit.

The Cork Motor tax office were great by the Summer. Had my licence within 3 days.

Dont know what to expect getting my A2 permit when applying on Monday. Long wait and double the cost of my paper permit back back in 2012........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement