Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a wormery.

• 08-10-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

hi everybody,
    iv decided to get a wormery as the majority of my waste is food related and i think that they are much cleaner than the usual back garden compost bin. however it is proving quite difficult to source one, i have tryed all of my local shops and while a couple of them had some for sale over the years they dont have them any longer. is this because wormerys were just a fashionable thing for a while there or is there massive problems encountered with them?
    also would any body have any suggestions on where to get one in ireland preferably?
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rubberdubber

Hello,

Can't post links unfortunately but t
    ry wormcity.ie twice the size of the Original Organics ones.

Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We inherited my sister-inlaws one when she moved abroad. We did have some problems with it to be honest. They take more care than I was willing to give really. It was more like a pet than a composting device to me! I Had to make sure the worms had enough to eat, and enough variety. Can't just feed them grass clippings. Needed egg shells for grit, etc. It produced compost much faster than a normal compost heap, but there was some swapping of trays around to do it. The worms move into different layers, you need to keep an eye on where they are and where the food is for them, and when the compost is ready to swap it out. Needed to watch out for dead worms too, in case something was going wrong. Worms can get too cold, or drown if it isn't draining properly. These are special order worms, not your regular garden earthworm.

There was a liquid which drained off which could be used for liquid feed if diluted. But that liquid was quite smelly i found.

I'm sorry to say I got a bit fed up of it after six months, and sold it on. It was probably too big for our needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

The Worm Works Wormery €139 with voucher for free worms. https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/worm-works-wormery

Advertisement