Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why didn't vaping work for you?

• 08-10-2013 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I'm really curious about this topic. First, me: After 20 years of chain smoking Samson and Drum I heard about e-cigarettes two years ago. There was a long vaping thread here and after reading the whole thing I sent off my order.
    I spent the first week with it burning out atomizers. spilling e-liquid all over my hands and smoking like a chimney. The second week was better and I started to get a kick out of vaping and found myself smoking less. By the third week I was enjoying the thrill of having clothes that didn't smell, not having to go outside for a smoke even in friends houses and relishing the tiny cost of vaping. By the end of that week I stopped smoking.
    My house stopped smelling off smoke, my breathing got easier, my skin improved and six months later I had my dentist complimenting me on the improvement of my teeth and gums.
    I'm thrilled that this has come into my life and I've no plans to give it up.

The problem? Loads of my friends and family have switched to e-cigarettes since then but several others just can't get it to work for them. One says it gives her coughing fits, one won't change the way he inhales and drags the arse out of the atomiser and one just says it does nothing for her and she prefers smoking.

I'd love it we could find out the reasons that people fail with e-cigarettes and find solutions to it. These are people who really want to quit smoking, the technology to do that has arrived, so how can I make it work for them?

If I'm going to be around in old age now I want my friends alive keeping me company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

You cant make anyone do it, they have to want to do it. Vaping isn't for everyone, I tried it and I didn't like it, I used the patches and haven't smoked for 2 months. They can all tell you they are desperate to quit but actually doing it is a different story, as you know. I tried twice before so I hope I stay smoke free this time.

I guess my basic point to your question is, Different strokes for different folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

1. As dobman88 says, actually wanting or genuinely seeing a need to quit.

2. Device power, consistency & nic strength. Most people buy the shittiest ecig they can buy because they think if it looks like a cigarette it'll have a better chance of succeeding, then they pair this with the cheapest synthetic tobacco liquid they can find in the hopes it tastes like Rothmans.

3. Fiddling/"complexity". Most people don't even know how to use the brightness or contrast controls on their TV, it's just a setting that appears sometimes when they sit on their remote - if the ecig is anything more than plug and play then they really have to want to quit.

4. Missing chemicals and therefore the effects of those chemicals.
    No carbon monoxide? Much less of a calming effect. No MAOI's? Less of a soothing anti-depressant effect. Nic on it's own is remarkably similar in feeling to caffeine, all stimulant.
    In America you can get eliquid that has the other alkaloids from tobacco extracted, called WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids). These alkaloids are apparently one of the missing pieces of the puzzle for success rates but they're also a large part of what makes nicotine seem so addictive in cigarettes (ask any of the anti-nic zealots here and they'll maintain nic is more addictive than heroin despite vapers finding it relatively easy to quit vaping or wean down to zero-nic as opposed to the huge struggles when quitting smoking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

One piece of advice I'd give to people trying them is that you need to change the way you take a drag. The way you smoke a cigarette will be ineffective when you try an ecig.

My sister had all but stopped trying ecigs until I showed here how I use them....its different, you need to take a few small drags to get the thing firing properly and get a proper hit.

Edit: Also, dont use those ecigs you can buy over the counter in shops, they are useless. Take your time and read up on some of the kits available. Ask in the vaping forum as well, loads of vapers can give you info on good products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hit wasn't enjoyable enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Grindle, great post. Everything you wrote rings true.

Yeah, I think switching over was easier for me because I smoked rolling tobacco which has fewer additives, so I didn't miss them in the ecig.

I suspect that a major reason that vaping worked so well for me was that I was (and am) thoroughly addicted to nicotine and the feeling it gave me. I didn't really smoke out of habit or boredom or to be social etc. just to maintain the feeling. Once I realized I was getting the nicotine buzz from the ecig I had nothing to lose by giving up the tobacco.

What I don't get is how people don't put more effort into switching over. Change is always hard but the advantages are huge. You get all the advantages of giving up smoking without actually having to give it up. It's like they invented delicious nourishing food without any calories in it. And overweight people won't eat it because the packaging is different.

I suppose it's as a few of you said, some people are more motivated than others. The thing is, I wasn't even planning to give up, wasn't motivated at all, but I would have been mad to continue smoking once I discovered ecigs.

Enough vaping propaganda from me! I do understand that everybody is different and no two people are in the same place when it comes to smoking.
    I wonder though what percentage of people vaping works for. In my experience, and using decent devices not cigalikes, about 75% of people who tried it stuck with it. If I'm in the right ballpark that's very impressive and a potentially huge public health breakthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Worked for me - in that I got one of those over the counter yokes and used it for two days.

I personally felt like such a feckin eejit/junkie using it I just quit altogether ! (I accept some people would not feel like that - this was my own view of myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Fantastic that it worked out for you that way though! Gave you a reality check as to what you wanted off of and that was the nic, so you quit the nic
    Good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

gave me really bad coughing fits :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hit wasn't enjoyable enough for me.
    That's fair enough. I wonder though, with all the varieties of ecig and e liquid available, whether more people would find a combination that works for them if there were more bricks and mortar outlets. I'm sure that people who try before they buy are more likely to end up with something that works for them.
    Orlaw3136 wrote: »
    Worked for me - in that I got one of those over the counter yokes and used it for two days.

I personally felt like such a feckin eejit/junkie using it I just quit altogether ! (I accept some people would not feel like that - this was my own view of myself)
    That's
    brilliant, well done. That makes perfect sense to me. Ecigs don't have the history and cultural associations that cigarettes have so all you are left with is a drug delivery device. I know my clean-living relatives look at it that way and are disapproving. It's great you got off the smokes, but I think you deserve more credit for that than the ecigs.
    dollyk wrote: »
    gave me really bad coughing fits :(

A friend of mine had the same reaction. Once you've ruled out problems like an ecig that's too strong, an ecig that's not assembled properly and are inhaling the right way then it's probably some kind of intolerance to one of the ingredients. There's not much you can do about that, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Agonist wrote: »
    That's fair enough. I wonder though, with all the varieties of ecig and e liquid available, whether more people would find a combination that works for them if there were more bricks and mortar outlets. I'm sure that people who try before they buy are more likely to end up with something that works for them.

That's
    brilliant, well done. That makes perfect sense to me. Ecigs don't have the history and cultural associations that cigarettes have so all you are left with is a drug delivery device. I know my clean-living relatives look at it that way and are disapproving. It's great you got off the smokes, but I think you deserve more credit for that than the ecigs.

A friend of mine had the same reaction. Once you've ruled out problems like an ecig that's too strong, an ecig that's not assembled properly and are inhaling the right way then it's probably some kind of intolerance to one of the ingredients. There's not much you can do about that, unfortunately.

Lot of good points there, firstly a B&M store where people could try put different devices/ liquids would go a long way to having more people taking it up.

Secondly, the culture to do with vaping is only emerging and from what I can see it is an open minded and vibrant culture so far. As regards some peoples attitudes to vaping....well, they should educate themselves a little about it before knocking it....Luddites come to mind :D

Lastly....refer to firstly :)

Vaping has allowed me to painlessly adopt a different way of "smoking" without the cough, dry skin, shortness of breath and smell of cigarettes everywhere.....and I loved smoking for four decades.....now I love vaping, nicotene is not a problem, it is the method of absorbition which is the problem....vaping removes pretty much everything I hated about smoking and left me with what I always loved, the nicotene hit.....It really is a lovely mellow harmless drug....kinda like coffee...which I love...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dePeatrick wrote: »
    ..nicotine is not a problem... ...It really is a lovely mellow harmless drug...
    Nicotine is not a harmless drug, for a few reasons.

Nicotine causes a (temporary) increase in blood pressure. This could be very serious for someone who already has hypertension (i.e. high blood pressure). It is one of the main reasons that smokers with hypertension are strongly advised to quit.

Nicotine is a poison, and can be lethal in overdose.

Enjoy the effect in moderation, but do not say it is harmless.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Nicotine is not a harmless drug, for a few reasons.

Nicotine causes a (temporary) increase in blood pressure. This could be very serious for someone who already has hypertension (i.e. high blood pressure). It is one of the main reasons that smokers with hypertension are strongly advised to quit.

Nicotine is a poison, and can be lethal in overdose.

Enjoy the effect in moderation, but do not say it is harmless.
    Nicotene is about as harmless as coffee....it does raise your blood pressure, so does going to look out the window.....Vaping is not a cure all for everything, it is merely a substitute albeit extremely healthy substitute for smoking, if you can quit smoking, then great, go for it, it is the best thing to do, but as a person who has tried everything to quit and all failed, vaping worked, I no longer have a smokers cough, shortness of breath, foul smell and dodgy sinuses.......

I do not expect for a minute that vaping is harm free absolutely, but it is free of the thousands of noxious chemicals that cigarettes provide, and it works 100% for me and many others.....don't knock what works for some people...:)

Nicotene is about as harmless as coffee....it does raise your blood pressure, so does going to look out the window.....
    Now you are just talking sh!te, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

Well by all means show me how nicotine is so harmful, Tobacco is extremely harmful because of all the toxins in tobacco, nicotine is not particularly harmful at all being on the same spectrum as coffee, but like I said, please go ahead and prove what you claim.

...nicotine is not particularly harmful at all being on the same spectrum as coffee....
    You keep spouting it....
    ..please go ahead and prove what you claim.
    If you need me to. Maybe you would like to prove what you claim in return. No? I didn't think so.

From wikipedia (and don't blah blah about it not being a reliable source - that may be true for controversial subjects, but not for something like nicotine):

Nicotine Read it all, but especially the Toxicology section.

Nicotine poisoning

I don't really think you want to change your incorrect opinions, though. This does not bother me, as long as you keep them to yourself and don't post them here where uneducated readers might be seriously misinformed by them.

Not your ornery onager

You keep spouting it....

If you need me to. Maybe you would like to prove what you claim in return. No? I didn't think so.

From wikipedia (and don't blah blah about it not being a reliable source - that may be true for controversial subjects, but not for something like nicotine):

Nicotine Read it all, but especially the Toxicology section.

Nicotine poisoning

I don't really think you want to change your incorrect opinions, though. This does not bother me, as long as you keep them to yourself and don't post them here where uneducated readers might be seriously misinformed by them.
    Here is the link to the dangerous effects of coffee:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Health_risks

It is generally, as you can see, held that nicotene itself is not particularly harmful being on the same spectrum as coffee, it is the method that most people use to administer nicotene, cigarettes which are harmful because of the toxins in tobacco.

I take it you were a smoker once then?

Just to add some realism here, have you thought how Oxygen is harmful?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

A little cop on as regards how harmful different substances are is needed, don't you think?

Here is the link to the dangerous effects of coffee:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Health_risks

It is generally, as you can see, held that nicotene itself is not particularly harmful being on the same spectrum as coffee, it is the method that most people use to administer nicotene, cigarettes which are harmful because of the toxins in tobacco.

I take it you were a smoker once then?
    What are you on about now ffs? There is no mention of nicotine (spelling) in that coffee page, and no mention of coffee in the pages I linked.

Talking about coffee (or about looking out the window) is not relevant to whether or not nicotine is harmful, and is completely off the wall imo.

As you don't seem to be able to accept that you are totally wrong, and seem not to be able to stay on topic, I will not be trying to educate you any further. Do your own research, on nicotine, but be open-minded at least.

At the very least, educate yourself that spilling nicotine-containing juice on your skin can be very dangerous to your health, and that leaving even a 5ml bottle of nicotine-containing juice in reach of a child could easily be fatal if they swallowed it.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you very much, I am greatly relieved that you will not be educating me anymore, It is always quite stressful trying to relate something of worth to someone who has a completely closed mind to the facts as I am not at all sure you will disagree, please do not try to get a small child to do any experiments that you may or may not imagine to prove yours or anyone's else's point.

Lovely chatting to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Nicotine is poisonous you're right but you would have to drink or spill some of the concentrated liquid form on yourself. There are plenty of poison liquids around the house and super markets and shops. As adults we should be able to handle these things carefully, not leave them in reach of children etc. Also people with heart problems shouldn't enjoy nicotine or any other stimulating drug or activity. You're dead right. But for the majority of people nicotine in ecigs is not dangerous. Like every drug nicotine has its benefits and its side effects.

@deP: A closed mind is a terrible thing. Sad attempt at sarcasm speaks volumes. As does thanking the above post.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Nicotine is poisonous you're right but you would have to drink or spill some of the concentrated liquid form on yourself. There are plenty of poison liquids around. As adults we should be able to handle these things carefully. Also people with heart problems shouldn't enjoy nicotine or any other stimulating drug or activity. You're dead right. But for the majority of people nicotine in ecigs is not dangerous. Like every drug nicotine has its benefits and its side effects.
    I never said it was - apart from someone suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure).

There may be lots of poisonous liquids in the average house, but not many that might inadvertently be left within reach of a child, or that might be flavoured to smell like toffee, jelly babies etc. etc.

But you knew all that, unlike deP.

Not your ornery onager

Anyway let's not get off topic with some argument. I believe what Grindle said in his post sums the question of the thread up entirely. I'd like to hear more personal stories from vapers who tried it but failed.

I never said it was - apart from someone suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure).

I'm not disagreeing with you I was agreeing with you. People with high blood pressure and heart problems etc should consult their doctor about smoking or vaping. Anyway who else here has tried vaping and failed and why?

I smoke and vape. I bought my first kit a couple of years ago just to try it out, not with the intention of quitting smoking. For a while, I vaped more than I smoked, now it is the other way around. I If/when I decide to stop smoking, I am already a proficient vaper.

Regarding proselytising to convert people, I think it is a big mistake to start bamboozling them with talk of rebuilding, variable voltage and all the other gear-freak modifications that some vapers are into. If you were trying to convince a friend to buy their first car, you would not be recommending a Skyline and a fully equipped workshop. Just point them at a good starter kit, and educate them on the basic ins and outs of vaping.

Not your ornery onager

Definitely. Best kit for a beginner obviously isn't some advanced mod. An ego type battery and a few low resistance cartomisers is the job. Nice and simple and decent performance and feck all to go wrong with.

Advertisement