Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petalchild

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Yup. 3 days is the recommended I think

Yup, 3 days minimum and a max of 5 days! That was HARI's guideline anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

petalchild wrote: »
    Yup, 3 days minimum and a max of 5 days! That was HARI's guideline anyway!

Thanks! Well it was 3 days so we were good!! Gave us results within an hour all ok on his side! I had a HSG carried out today, the radiologist said everything seemed fine but he would fax report to my GP must say I found the xray horrible and painful!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks! Well it was 3 days so we were good!! Gave us results within an hour all ok on his side! I had a HSG carried out today, the radiologist said everything seemed fine but he would fax report to my GP must say I found the xray horrible and painful!

Its very brief but very intense. I was a bit shaky after mine but you quickly recover in a few mins. The sensation is very period-y.

Neyite wrote: »
    Its very brief but very intense. I was a bit shaky after mine but you quickly recover in a few mins. The sensation is very period-y.

Sure is Neyite, I was pretty shaky too, recovered after a Mars Bar! So glad to have it over with, don't want to go through it again! Yes very much like period cramps which thankfully I don't get much of, now I'm looking forward to my consultation on 10th Feb so I can get some answers and the next step in my treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

My doc got back to me today and she told me that my tubes were not checked during my hysteroscopy. My next step was going to be ivf after my last cycle of clomid which starts next week. I presumed everything was checked while Dr. Boos was doing that procedure. I will be 2yrs ttc this summer and I am utterly fed up with all the hoping and waiting that goes with it. I don't know whether I should waste what little money I have having mini procedures or should I just bite the bullet and go for ivf? As I said I don't know how much strength I have left in me to go to another friend's baby's christening and swallow that lump in my throat every time I look at that gorgeous baby that I haven't got. I am facing two this coming fortnight and the thought of them really makes me want to go ahead with ivf this spring as I feel that I can somehow claw back a bit of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

pennyloves wrote: »
    My doc got back to me today and she told me that my tubes were not checked during my hysteroscopy. My next step was going to be ivf after my last cycle of clomid which starts next week. I presumed everything was checked while Dr. Boos was doing that procedure. I will be 2yrs ttc this summer and I am utterly fed up with all the hoping and waiting that goes with it. I don't know whether I should waste what little money I have having mini procedures or should I just bite the bullet and go for ivf? As I said I don't know how much strength I have left in me to go to another friend's baby's christening and swallow that lump in my throat every time I look at that gorgeous baby that I haven't got. I am facing two this coming fortnight and the thought of them really makes me want to go ahead with ivf this spring as I feel that I can somehow claw back a bit of control.

It's such a big decision to undergo IVF, but as you say once it made it does feel like you are taking back control over your own body and what you put it through. Although IVF does not make any use of the tubes. It would be a good idea to get them checked to see if there is any hydrosalaphinx in them as this can be a bad thing when undergoing treatments. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Pennyloves I had my tubes checked in Galway on Tuesday, I went public so the procedure was free, it is done by x-ray, it took about 20 minutes, I found it a little painful but most find it pain free, if I were you I'd ask your doctor to refer for this procedure, I would definitely do that before doing ivf, once your doctor tells you have it done, you phone radiology on Day1 of your period and they do it between day 6and10 so really you could still go ahead with your ivf in the spring if your tubes are ok.
    I know EXACTLY how you feel with everyone else getting pregnant and going to Christenings, I can't handle it at all, this March I will be 5 years ttc, can't believe it has been that long.... praying 2014 is the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

It's such a big decision to undergo IVF, but as you say once it made it does feel like you are taking back control over your own body and what you put it through. Although IVF does not make any use of the tubes. It would be a good idea to get them checked to see if there is any hydrosalaphinx in them as this can be a bad thing when undergoing treatments. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Orchidpretty, Can I ask if you have had experience with hydrosalpinx? My right tube is hydrosalpinx and we are discussing what to do with before starting IVF. I made the decision to go with IVF and thought this is it now, all set to go until I googled 'hydrosalpinx' :( It's just one thing after another.

I had something called a hycosy procedure that detected the septum in my womb. Is it the same as the one you had In Galway?

Oh OrchidPretty I can't imagine what you've been through. It's been over a year and a half and I am fit for the looney bin. I really hope this year will be your year. I work with disadvantaged children and I see so many neglected little mites everyday. I can't understand why people like us cannot have children when there's thousands of desperate, frightened young girls getting pregnant everyday who do not want to be. Before all this I really had a strong faith and I thought family members that had passed on could help but now I am not so sure.

• Advertisement

So sorry. ..I mixed up the names!!!! I meant Hollywood! Thank you so much for your advice too OrchidPretty! !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

nemo32 wrote: »
    Orchidpretty, Can I ask if you have had experience with hydrosalpinx? My right tube is hydrosalpinx and we are discussing what to do with before starting IVF. I made the decision to go with IVF and thought this is it now, all set to go until I googled 'hydrosalpinx' :( It's just one thing after another.

Yeah I had it in both my tubes so decided to get them clipped before going for IVF. My DR said it would increase the chances of miscarriage etc by about 10% depending on if it's blood or fluid in the tubes as it can seep into the womb at any time during a pregnancy. This does not always happen though, so it really is a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

:mad:
    got a call from my doc in the hari today,she says the tablets i'm on are not safe in pregnancy and she needs to talk to my ra consultant!
    So not starting next month after all,rightly fed up of this crap now,My ra consultant told me these tablets re the only ones that i can take in pregnancy.Feel like im going round in circles with them all.:(

Yeah I had it in both my tubes so decided to get them clipped before going for IVF. My DR said it would increase the chances of miscarriage etc by about 10% depending on if it's blood or fluid in the tubes as it can seep into the womb at any time during a pregnancy. This does not always happen though, so it really is a personal choice.

10% wow, big number. I am waiting to hear back from cfc and I have a phone consult with sims next week so trying to gather as many opinions as possible before making a decision. I only have it in my right so suppose they would only clip that one. Can I ask where you done you ivf?

I had something called a hycosy procedure that detected the septum in my womb. Is it the same as the one you had In Galway?

No this is called a HSG, couldn't even begin to spell the proper word for it! It's kind of like a smear, they insert tubes and then a dye into the tubes to see if there are any blockages, is that a bit like what they done for the hycosy, perhaps they are a bit the same, I found the dye the most painful. But again it only latest about 20minutes, all over with now, he told me at the end that the tubes seemed fine but that a report would be sent to my GP, they can see straight away on the screen though but as usual they won't just come out and say 'no problems', going to phone my GP today to see if he got results.

I'd definitely have it done Penny, it's one more thing to scratch off the list and you can get it done quickly you don'e have to wait around for weeks for an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

bobskii wrote: »
    :mad:
    got a call from my doc in the hari today,she says the tablets i'm on are not safe in pregnancy and she needs to talk to my ra consultant!
    So not starting next month after all,rightly fed up of this crap now,My ra consultant told me these tablets re the only ones that i can take in pregnancy.Feel like im going round in circles with them all.:(

Bobskii, sorry to hear that. You must be so dissappointed and frustrated. It seems like you are being really messed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Thank TommeeTipee i'm well p'd off at this stage,altho it does mean if it goes ahead in March im off for 3 weeks in april so i'll have plenty of rest time.

Really sorry to hear that bobskii. Just when you think everything is going to be relatively straightforward another spanner floats in from outer space and jams in the works! Seems to be the bloody norm for us lot on this forum! !!! Hopefully everything will get sorted over the next few weeks. Sending you my best wishes, would love to hear some good news soon. Keep us posted x

Thanks for all the info Hollywood, the hycosy is exactly the same procedure. I know what you mean about painful. I was hanging on to the bonnet of my car afterwards the pain was so intense. I am booked in for the procedure next Friday morning. I am dreading it as it showed up a septum the last time. I am hope something else isn't detected as I thought all that was behind me. Anyway thanks for all the advice, i'd be lost without it. This forum is like my little sanctuary at times! Despite the nerves I know I am doing the right thing and if things don't go my way I will hopefully be working towards ivf in the next couple of months.

Finally got my appointment letter from Hari on Friday, for an appointment in April! Can't believe how long the waiting list is - I thought it would be 6 - 8 weeks but it seems to be 3 - 4 months! Ah well, at least its a move in the right direction. We are 3 and a half years ttc now so looking forward to getting things moving.

• Advertisement

Best of luck Tomee, at least you and your partner have something to look forward to now. You will feel a million times better when you take back some control and get some sort of a plan in place.

Best of luck Tomee, at least you and your partner have something to look forward to now. You will feel a million times better when you take back some control and get some sort of a plan in place.

Thanks, I do feel better having a date to sort of look forward to. Its been a long few years, whats another 2 months I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Turns out we are being referred to the Hari too so it'll be interesting to see when we get a letter from them also.

Thanks for all the info Hollywood, the hycosy is exactly the same procedure. I know what you mean about painful. I was hanging on to the bonnet of my car afterwards the pain was so intense. I am booked in for the procedure next Friday morning. I am dreading it as it showed up a septum the last time. I am hope something else isn't detected as I thought all that was behind me. Anyway thanks for all the advice, i'd be lost without it. This forum is like my little sanctuary at times! Despite the nerves I know I am doing the right thing and if things don't go my way I will hopefully be working towards ivf in the next couple of months.

No worries Penny, I hope it goes well for you! At least it'll be over with soon enough and you can move on, that's what I'm hoping for, just can't wait for Feb 10th to get answers! Have quite painful ovulation pains today, well at least thats what it feels like, prob made worse from the procedure the other day, hope i am actually ovulating! Fingers crossed!

I love this forum too, it's great to talk to others in similar situation xx

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I was hanging on to the bonnet of my car afterwards the pain was so intense. I am booked in for the procedure next Friday morning.

I don't if this will help, but nobody told me, until I had my legs in the air it was too late to make a difference, that its often suggested to take a painkiller an hour before the procedure. I was OK until they put the dye in, yowsers!!! And then I was rough all afternoon. :(

If I ever have to do it again I'll be over-dosing on my Ponstan beforehand.

Good luck

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I took a neurofen plus before my hsg. Even then it was sore!

Yeah taking painkillers before is a good idea, and I agree dollydishmop the dye was the most painful, I only took Panadol, not strong enough!

Must actually ring for results now! Hopefully they did send them to my GP

Just had the hycosy done and it confirmed that my gut instinct was right as there's something wrong with my fallopian tubes. I can go for the lap procedure to see if it can be fixed or straight to ivf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Warning TMI!!!

First of all not looking for medical advice but just wondering if this has happened to any of you.

My cycle is normally 27-29 days. My next period should not be due for another 17 days. Was going to start "Duty" tonight and for the next 10 days. Yesterday I has some spotting and this morning a full bang heavy period. Very crampy and uncomfortable.
    This has never happened to me before so I am wondering what the hell is going on. All the signs on knicker watch were as normal so didn't expect this. Would have expected that I would ovulate sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I have being using the clearblue ovulation tests to pin point each month. I am 41..

We have a appointment with our clinic in a few weeks to go over options as in what our next step would be. Most lightly IVF. I am really upset that I can't start trying again this month. Any ideas ladies?

• Advertisement

Just had the hycosy done and it confirmed that my gut instinct was right as there's something wrong with my fallopian tubes. I can go for the lap procedure to see if it can be fixed or straight to ivf.

Penny, it's good that you now have an idea of why it's taking so long to get pregnant.I was shocked when I found out then happy to know that there was something stopping it.
    So I had a lap and dye in Nov and they found 2 blocked tubes and were able to unblock one but they said my tubes had adhesion's so I am at risk of ectopic even if I do get pregnant naturally now. I am with SIMS so they have suggested that we go straight to IVF as it's our best chance of getting pregnant. Now I have done some research and I found out that fluid in the blocked tube can decrease the changes of IVF working if there is a lot of fluid in the there as it might seep out and prevent implantation. He is going to scan me next cycle and see how much fluid is there and then decide what my best option is i.e. go straight to IVF or remove/clip the tube first. So what I am getting at is, if you get the lap done and they can unblock both tubes and remove all fluid and there's no other damage there then great :) Are you attending a fertility clinic? If so they should be able to give you the best advise. Best of luck xx

Advertisement