Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you get no joy with the GP you can self refer to some of the fertility clinics for bloodwork and semen analysis. You have to pay for it, but if it puts your mind at ease it could be worth it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I'm 29 and we've been trying for 6 months with no luck. I've been using the ClearBlue Ovulation tracker for the past 3 months and I really thought we had it nailed this time but no! I've had two friends in a similar situation who were both fobbed off by their gps because of their age and told to basically stopped stressing. I feel hopeless now as to what to do next if this is the attitude I'm going to be faced with by my gp (who wouldn't be the most empathic anyway!). I know there is semen analysis and a day 21 blood test but can you just request these or will I be told to go away and try for another while. I'd rather test myself before my partner. I don't really know anything about the Day 21 test. Just so disappointed this time and not sure where to go from here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

. I know there is semen analysis and a day 21 blood test but can you just request these or will I be told to go away and try for another while. I'd rather test myself before my partner. I don't really know anything about the Day 21 test. Just so disappointed this time and not sure where to go from here
    The day 21 test is to check progesterone levels to see if you have ovulated. The first tests to check would be your AMH. This is a blood test that can be done anytime of your cycle. Your GP or a fertility clinic can test. Also he should get a semen analysis done to rule out any issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You wouldn't go in to Tesco and let the staff tell you what you can put in your trolley. Don't let a doctor tell you you can't have tests. You're paying for the doctor :)

I'd also recommend thyroid bloods, tsh in particular. Fertility clinics like it to be under 2/2.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I had my AMH tested a year ago and it was lower than average for my age, I think around 2 years older than the average for my then age. They told me it wouldn't be wise to wait post 37 to start trying.

I guess I always assumed that if you have regular periods (and I have been like clockwork for 20 years) that you were ovulating every month. It is only recently that I found out you might not release an egg each time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Mrs Bilbot sent off for the Greek tests which came back saying Gardnerella detected and a 7 day strong antibiotic prescribed.

Weird that the fertility clinic wouldn't look at these things when apparently they can increase likelihood of mc etc.

Deep down I know it won't make a difference but here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

So how is everyones 2018 ttc journey going as we approach the midway point of the year?

Nerd Queen wrote:
    So how is everyones 2018 ttc journey going as we approach the midway point of the year?

No joy so far. Planning on having endometriosis surgery in UK next month which will then hopefully improve chance of natural conception. If not successful after a few months trying, it will have to be IVF for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

Nerd Queen wrote: »

No Joy here either, last month of taking Clomid and if this doesn't work then we will have to start seriously talking about IVF. My hubby is reluctant to go down that road. Hopefully the second half of the year will be full of our baby announcements :):D

No joy. Another miss this month. What are we doing wrong? I've got the app (Flo) which is great for predicting fertile days etc. and we have been religious about our timings and cycle started again yesterday. :(

And it seems like everyone around us is having babies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sheep1234

No joy yet unfortunately, started with Neo fertility a few months back so hopefully things will improve!

It's tough when everyone around you is having babies :( am at the point when I avoid pregnant people in work!

Trying letrozole, hopefully It has good results!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Latest fresh transfer failed and have 1 day 6 frozen. Mrs bilbot has had enormous migraines for 2,solid months with no let up. Prob to do with treatment. It's calming down now but have had to put off cycle as it's been impacted by her physical condition. Feels like the last round of IVF didn't go so well and don't have much hope for the last blasto.

Greek tests spotted presence of gardnerella and strong antibiotics prescribed for it. I also took the decision to quit alcohol altogether for a few months and have gotten quite fit. Never know, might still happen naturally. I also read an article that binge drinking in men can increase miscarriage chances by 15%.

Part of me has started to come to terms with the idea that this might not happen.

But I hope we can snatch our victories from the jaws of defeat 😊

OldNotWIse wrote:
    No joy. Another miss this month. What are we doing wrong? I've got the app (Flo) which is great for predicting fertile days etc. and we have been religious about our timings and cycle started again yesterday.

Are you using ovulation strips aswell?

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Are you using ovulation strips aswell?

Yes and the funny thing is I haven't had any positives, even though I have a regular cycle and have other ovulation symptoms such as change in temperature etc. Is it possible to have a regular cycle and not ovulate?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a regular cycle and not ovulate?

Yes, quite possible. Anovulatory cycles is the term for it

The ovulation sticks don't actually test ovulation. They look for a hormone (LH) that is released prior to ovulation but they can't determine whether or not you ovulated - that, as far as I can gather can only be fully determined by an ultrasound.

Having said that, in some women the LH surge only lasts a few hours, so could happen in your sleep and be gone again by the time you test with an OPK next. That happened to me but I was getting scans so that confirmed I ovulated and the sticks missed it.

Has your partner had a semen analysis?

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes, quite possible. Anovulatory cycles is the term for it

The ovulation sticks don't actually test ovulation. They look for a hormone (LH) that is released prior to ovulation but they can't determine whether or not you ovulated - that, as far as I can gather can only be fully determined by an ultrasound.

Having said that, in some women the LH surge only lasts a few hours, so could happen in your sleep and be gone again by the time you test with an OPK next. That happened to me but I was getting scans so that confirmed I ovulated and the sticks missed it.

Has your partner had a semen analysis?

Yes I noticed sometimes there would be a faint line (which I know is not a positive) but then after there would be none at all. There must be some reason for the variance? He hasn't been tested yet as we are only 5 months trying so we said we'd go 6 anyway. He has 2 children from a previous relationship so it might not be with him, though his youngest is 11 so he could have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA

No joy here either, went for a cycle of IVF, seemed to be going grand but only 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature and one fertilised by ICSI - it was a day 3 transfer but unfortunately it was a BFN. Then went off on holidays and ate and drank to beat the band. Going back for our consultation next week to discuss the next steps - but tired of it all to be honest.

Anyway regardless of what they say next, we're taking time off till Sept/ Oct and then try another cycle. I bought 'it starts with the egg' and bought loads of vits while away, just need to start now.

Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Was TTC for 3 years. With short spells of giving up. Granted i was a bodybuilder years back and ended up on route steroids.
    Anyway . we tried everything . putting on weight loosing weight different diets acupuncture . i was saving up for tests etc . and one day woke up and gave up accepted the fact i had damaged myself with all my crazy bodybuilding days. We where not using any protection because i knew i had no such luck to be a mom. In giving up i baught a puppy and that was that .
    I domehow ended up pregnant after year of living my life knowing we will just have animals as our kids. I have heard it alot that maybe TTC is not best aproach . i know how fusturating that is granted nevergot tests done. Unfortunately it all jist took toll on our marrige and now i am songle mum . if i ever to meet anyone to share my life with i would try the same aproach.

Another miss this month. Cycle was 22 days (down from 23 last month). This worries me greatly as for years I was always 28 days. I would say from age 12 to 30 I was 28 days religiously, and for some reason this has changed. Are there reasons for this? For example, I have taken the MAP several times in the last 5 years (3 times I think). I made the mistake of searching online and of course now Google has "diagnosed" me with perimenopause :eek:

Looking back at the app (Flo), working 14 days back from today, I ovulated on day 8, and we went 2 days before and 2 days after this. So, am hoping the reason we didn't hit it was just down to timing and nothing else.

This marks our 6th month trying so I guess we will need to look into testing. :(

OldNotWIse wrote:
    This worries me greatly as for years I was always 28 days. I would say from age 12 to 30 I was 28 days religiously, and for some reason this has changed. Are there reasons for this?

I would not worry about the change in cycle as it can happen with age. My regular 28 day cycle has changed to anywhere between 25-31 day yet all my fertility tests were good and normal. It just makes it harder to pinpoint ovulation. Are you getting positive ovulation stick tests?
    Have you had an AMH blood test done?

• Advertisement

I would not worry about the change in cycle as it can happen with age. My regular 28 day cycle has changed to anywhere between 25-31 day yet all my fertility tests were good and normal. It just makes it harder to pinpoint ovulation. Are you getting positive ovulation stick tests?
    Have you had an AMH blood test done?

Thanks, that’s a relief. I had AMH tested 2 years ago. They said my levels were 2 years ahead of where they should be i.e. I was 32 and my levels were consistent with 34/35 average. They said not to wait past 37 if I wanted to be sure of pregnancy.

Have tested for ovulation but sporadically and using cheaper test strips (of which same brand gave me false pregnancy positives some time ago!). I haven’t been as consistent as I should have been with testing.

This is really starting to get in on me now. And I know that is the worst thing we can do when trying! It seems like everyone around me is having babies!

Sorry I don't know why the previous post is so big! :(

OldNotWIse wrote:
    This is really starting to get in on me now. And I know that is the worst thing we can do when trying! It seems like everyone around me is having babies!

I know the feeling. My sister is currently 20weeks with her 4th. And so many friends and other family members have given birth over the last year, it's hard.

I would maybe look at a fertility work up on you both to make sure there are no issues,if you are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

I know the feeling. My sister is currently 20weeks with her 4th. And so many friends and other family members have given birth over the last year, it's hard.

I would maybe look at a fertility work up on you both to make sure there are no issues,if you are worried.

I agree with this if your worried you should definitely get tests done. If your GP wont do them, you can self refer to most of the IVF clinics for the tests if that's an option.

Im in the same boat as you with my cycles they range from 25-35 days, all tests came back normal for me. Even tried acupuncture in the hope it would regulate them but no joy. Its very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 neia

Its been years since I've wrote on this thread, I've been through all the emotions and heartache. I've had 5 pregnancies, 2 miscarriages, one premmie who didn't survive and one iugr baby who is now 2.5 and showing significant special needs, and one 5 month old who is just himself.. Life is tough, life is a battleground,. Not going to tell anyone it gets easy as time goes on.. It doesn't unfortunately, life goes on and you cling on to it.. Sorry I just felt like thinking out loud x

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Sorry to hear all that you have been through Neia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 neia

Thanks broken soul, I have no words of wisdom or anything for anyone. My son is 2 and a half and special needs, but in our eyes he is perfect.. We were told when he was 20 weeks weeks in utero wouldn't survive, amnio, harmony blood test tirplodiy, he is our everything, our tomorrow, our chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Looking back at the app (Flo), working 14 days back from today, I ovulated on day 8, and we went 2 days before and 2 days after this. So, am hoping the reason we didn't hit it was just down to timing and nothing else.

I only have a 23 or 24 day cycle also but mine was always like that. I also have a ridiculously low AMH but I still managed to have 2 kids. I wouldn't advise you to assume you're ovulating on day 8 just by working back 14 days. An app cannot tell you when you're ovulating! You are much much better off using ovulation sticks or other ovulation indicators like temping to pin point ovulation and focus your efforts around that. TTC takes its toll on your relationship and if you can pin point when you need to be having sex it means less TTC sex, and we all know TTC sex gets very hard on the men after a while.

Even though I only have a 23 or 24 day cycle my ovulation used to happen around day 11 or so. I just have a really short luteal phase. But it didn't stop me from having 2 kids. Don't get too bogged down in the fact your cycle is different, it doesn't mean you can't have kids! If you're getting a positive on ovulation sticks there is hope! Start pin pointing ovulation and then take it from there

Lucuma wrote: »
    I only have a 23 or 24 day cycle also but mine was always like that. I also have a ridiculously low AMH but I still managed to have 2 kids. I wouldn't advise you to assume you're ovulating on day 8 just by working back 14 days. An app cannot tell you when you're ovulating! You are much much better off using ovulation sticks or other ovulation indicators like temping to pin point ovulation and focus your efforts around that. TTC takes its toll on your relationship and if you can pin point when you need to be having sex it means less TTC sex, and we all know TTC sex gets very hard on the men after a while.

Even though I only have a 23 or 24 day cycle my ovulation used to happen around day 11 or so. I just have a really short luteal phase. But it didn't stop me from having 2 kids. Don't get too bogged down in the fact your cycle is different, it doesn't mean you can't have kids! If you're getting a positive on ovulation sticks there is hope! Start pin pointing ovulation and then take it from there

Thanks for this! I can't believe I didn't know about the luteal phase until recently. I always assumed ovulation was exactly 14 days before day 1 of period. So, this could have been why we were missing. We've been trying to judge ovulation on 14 days back from 22 or 23. I didn't realize I could have ovulated later and had a shorter luteal phase. Looking back on my app for this month, we hit days 7 and 9 so I thought we were sorted, But days 12 and 14 were when I logged ovulation type symptoms (and thankfully we wen then too!) :pac:
    Is it true that women with a short luteal phase find it harder to conceive and if so, why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd

Thanks for this! I can't believe I didn't know about the luteal phase until recently. I always assumed ovulation was exactly 14 days before day 1 of period. So, this could have been why we were missing. We've been trying to judge ovulation on 14 days back from 22 or 23. I didn't realize I could have ovulated later and had a shorter luteal phase. Looking back on my app for this month, we hit days 7 and 9 so I thought we were sorted, But days 12 and 14 were when I logged ovulation type symptoms (and thankfully we wen then too!) :pac:
    Is it true that women with a short luteal phase find it harder to conceive and if so, why is this?

Everyone is different so start temping and using ovulation sticks to track your cycle, it'll really help to pinpoint your ovulation and most fertile days.

I haven't a clue about the short luteal phase though, can't help you with that one.

Advertisement