Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA

Congratulations OldNotWIse!!! What a whirlwind of emotions you must be going through, this is so positive though, so focus on you and the little bub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Read about false +ves on blue strip tests (clearblue) so took some tests (3) this morning from Dealz (the little strip ones) and all negative! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

OldNotWIse wrote:
    Read about false +ves on blue strip tests (clearblue) so took some tests (3) this morning from Dealz (the little strip ones) and all negative!

I would be much more inclined to trust the clearblue tests over dealz ones. Also false negatives are more common than false positives. If you had two positive tests yesterday I think that's still very promising. Buy some more, try First Response, they always had the strongest lines for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

The cheapo ones are less sensitive and so they won't detect pregnancy until a few days later than the clear blue. This is really common - in fact there was someone posting about it just last week.

False positives are very rare. It sounds to me that you're pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

I'd put money on you being pregnant :) False positives are quite rare...Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I would be much more inclined to trust the clearblue tests over dealz ones. Also false negatives are more common than false positives. If you had two positive tests yesterday I think that's still very promising. Buy some more, try First Response, they always had the strongest lines for me.

+1

False positives would be rare, and 2 false positives would be rarer still. Those little strip ones can often be less sensitive than the likes of clear blue. My GP uses those little strip ones (they can be bought in bulk cheaply) and on both my pregnancies when I came in and said I'd gotten positives on clear blue / 1st response, he didn't even bother using the strip tests. Get a couple of first responses, they're much easier to read. Can you post pics of the clear blue tests you took?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Dealz strips are more sensitive than clearblue...pretty sure it's 20miu vs 25miu
    First Response most sensitive at 12miu
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

I've used three dealz tests recently and all were invalid so personally not too impressed with them. Has anyone else had this experience or are they generally accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I've used three dealz tests recently and all were invalid so personally not too impressed with them. Has anyone else had this experience or are they generally accurate?
    I used their ovulation strips and pregnancy strips especially until early scan for reassurance (like..daily!)...the strip got darker and darker each day so for me they worked fine. Maybe your pack was faulty if all 3 invalid. Their site is FirstVue seems legit. I mean Dealz sell plenty of brand name things for 1.50. Doesn't make any of it less kosher. I never understood logic of buying 20 euro pregnancy test kits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

maxsmum wrote: »
    I used their ovulation strips and pregnancy strips especially until early scan for reassurance (like..daily!)...the strip got darker and darker each day so for me they worked fine. Maybe your pack was faulty if all 3 invalid. Their site is FirstVue seems legit. I mean Dealz sell plenty of brand name things for 1.50. Doesn't make any of it less kosher. I never understood logic of buying 20 euro pregnancy test kits.

I'll buy more and try them out again. Youre right the clear blue ones too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Does anyone know anything about pregnancy TSH reference ranges please?
    Basically I got blood tests done about day ten of my cycle and this was one of the tests that came back. I haven't seen a doctor and I'm not looking for medical advice.
    My TSH is 1.47.
    There is a note on the page that says Pregnancy TSH Reference Ranges: 1st trimester 0.05-3.70 MU/L.
    I've had IUI and IVF and am familiar with most blood's results just never saw these before.
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

TSH is to do with your thyroid, if your levels are in range this is a good thing.

I have an underactive thyroid since before pregnancy and my levels were only gotten right just before I got pregnant. They're monitoring them closely now that I am pregnant. When I saw my thyroid consultant he told me that there used to be a misconception that TSH levels needed to be very precise to maintain a pregnancy, but more recent literature shows that levels of a reasonable range will be fine.

Do you have any difficulties with your thyroid? Some people that have thyroid issues also have issues with their fertility, this could be why they tested your TSH levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Thanks for the help. I've never had any thyroid issues. I've had ten million blood tests in the last few years and that has never come up so glad it's not an issue. Really appreciate an insight into this.
    Best of luck with your pregnancy. I hope all is going well and you are looking after yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

For anyone interested, SIMS are offering a free AMH blood test as part of Fertility Awareness Week. Sign up before July 28th. Also available in Rotunda and their Cork branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

GaGa21 wrote: »
    For anyone interested, SIMS are offering a free AMH blood test as part of Fertility Awareness Week. Sign up before July 28th. Also available in Rotunda and their Cork branch.
    I had this done last year...for peace of mind as we weren't really trying at that stage but I was hitting mid-30's. I'm pregnant now but can recommend this for anyone curious about their egg count.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd

GaGa21 wrote: »

I was just coming in to post the same thing. To be honest I haven't heard a thing about National Fertility Week and it's over tomorrow!
    During National Fertility Awareness Week, Sims IVF Dublin, Sims IVF Cork, and Rotunda IVF are offering free AMH tests to women, who wish to know more about their fertility.

More info here, you need to sign up for it by tomorrow night. I think we paid €120 for mine so it's worth getting it for free if you haven't had one already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭bilbot79

After a recent transfer we got a nice BFP. At about 20 dpo now. Wife tested first with first response and then later with some other boots brand I think. However the line was fainter on the new one and she is panicking now, also says the hunger pang symptom isn't as strong as in the last few days. Believes the progesterone pessaries could be keeping AF at Bay.

What do you think? Can early symptoms come and go? She is super sensitive because of previous mc.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    After a recent transfer we got a nice BFP. At about 20 dpo now. Wife tested first with first response and then later with some other boots brand I think. However the line was fainter on the new one and she is panicking now, also says the hunger pang symptom isn't as strong as in the last few days. Believes the progesterone pessaries could be keeping AF at Bay.

What do you think? Can early symptoms come and go? She is super sensitive because of previous mc.

First Response tests are a lot more sensitive than Boots, so the line will definitely be fainter on the Boots test. Symptoms in the early days are so vague and they do come and go. Even further along, in the throes of awful sickness, you can have some days which are better than others.

Try not to worry. If you can think of things to do together to take her mind off things until the first scan, that might help. The worry in the early days can be all-consuming, even without her history.

And congratulations! I've been following your story for a while, so am delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh congratulations. Try not to take any more tests though. They won’t tell you anything useful.

• Advertisement

First Response tests are a lot more sensitive than Boots, so the line will definitely be fainter on the Boots test. Symptoms in the early days are so vague and they do come and go. Even further along, in the throes of awful sickness, you can have some days which are better than others.

Try not to worry. If you can think of things to do together to take her mind off things until the first scan, that might help. The worry in the early days can be all-consuming, even without her history.

And congratulations! I've been following your story for a while, so am delighted for you.

Appreciate that. I'm worried myself alright. If we mc again I think it takes us from unexplained/unlucky to unexplained/something wrong.

I know there are reasons for congratulations but right now I feel like I'm at paddypower winning a game that could turn on a dime.

Still, what I always say to Mrs Bilbot...for the moment that is in it we couldn't be wishing for anything more than we have right now which is a BFP, regardless of what tomorrow will bring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Congratulations, fingers crossed it works. Maybe go & get a blood test done? We kept getting false positives after FET, so on our 4th attempt we got a blood test done.

Wife did a new first response test at 4pm. Pregnancy was nearly twice as dark as control line so it looks like we're still in the game for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA

Wife did a new first response test at 4pm. Pregnancy was nearly twice as dark as control line so it looks like we're still in the game for now...

That's amazing news - congratulations!! I have my fingers and toes crossed for ye, I've been following your story and I'm sending all my positive vibes towards ye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Fingers and toes crossed for ye.

I had a successful pregnancy via FET after a mmc so I know how scary this time can be, but it can all work out brilliantly. I really hope it does for you guys.

Thanks. Mrs is beside herself now because she is getting a coldsore and had got one just before the mc previously. She is coming off amiltryptiline for the headaches bc she is pregnant but I'm worried about that myself

Thanks. Mrs is beside herself now because she is getting a coldsore and had got one just before the mc previously. She is coming off amiltryptiline for the headaches bc she is pregnant but I'm worried about that myself

Has she spoken to her GP about that? I can't off amitryptiline while pregnant, thinking I should, but my GP told me if is safe in pregnancy.

Has she spoken to her GP about that? I can't off amitryptiline while pregnant, thinking I should, but my GP told me if is safe in pregnancy.

Apparently her GP said there isn't sufficient evidence either for or against so probably best to come off. I'll see how it goes. Apparently her current headache isn't the 'tension' type headache that she first took the amiltryptiline for. If she does get one of those kind I think it's back to the GP

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

Ah massive congrats bilbot wishing you and your wife every happiness :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Best wishes for the coming weeks. I know I found it really hard until we could have a scan. Time went so slowly.

Advertisement