Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Warning TMI!!!

First of all not looking for medical advice but just wondering if this has happened to any of you.

My cycle is normally 27-29 days. My next period should not be due for another 17 days. Was going to start "Duty" tonight and for the next 10 days. Yesterday I has some spotting and this morning a full bang heavy period. Very crampy and uncomfortable.
    This has never happened to me before so I am wondering what the hell is going on. All the signs on knicker watch were as normal so didn't expect this. Would have expected that I would ovulate sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I have being using the clearblue ovulation tests to pin point each month. I am 41..

We have a appointment with our clinic in a few weeks to go over options as in what our next step would be. Most lightly IVF. I am really upset that I can't start trying again this month. Any ideas ladies?

Something similar happened to me. I was doing a TSI cycle and on the day before ov I had a bright red bleed and the next day aswell. Nobody could tell me what it was and I still got AF 15 days later as normal. Someone mentioned it could have been a cyst bursting but I wasn't in any usual pain so I don't think it could have been that. Keep a record of it and let the clinic know when you have your first appointment. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Thanks for all the advice Nemo. I am going to go back to dr boos for the lap procedure as soon as I can. If they cannot be fixed I will go for ivf asap. My gyn was telling me about a clinic in Spain. The doc there was responsible for the third ivf baby. She said that they're so experienced and advanced that they offer a deal. ...3rounds of ivf (u pay for 3 together) and if you're not pregnant after the three cycles they give you your money back. She warned me off going to Prague as she said that they are novices and they implant the embryos too soon etc. It's so much to think about.

Who did you go to for the lap nemo? I had a hysteroscopy in sep and I found dr boos lovely, however I was told I should be able to go back to work in a day's time. ...I wasn't! I work with children and I was worn out. How was the lap? Was it painful afterwards and how did it take you to recover?

pennyloves wrote: »
    Who did you go to for the lap nemo? I had a hysteroscopy in sep and I found dr boos lovely, however I was told I should be able to go back to work in a day's time. ...I wasn't! I work with children and I was worn out. How was the lap? Was it painful afterwards and how did it take you to recover?

I was with Dr.Boos for the lap. He is so lovely isn't he. With the lap they tell you to take 1 week off work I suppose mostly because of the anesthetic, are you put asleep for the hysteroscopy?
    I took the painkillers for 2 days after the op, felt the pain was manageable but was just a little stiff.
    I had a lot of shoulder pain which eased off after about 4-5 days, it was more uncomfortable than painful actually. I was just more tired from the anesthetic than anything, but again it depends what they end up doing while there in there e.g. I would imagine removing endo would be pretty uncomfortable. I had a D&C, Lap & Dye, ovarian drilling and hysteroscopy all in one go.

Thanks for all the advice Nemo. I am going to go back to dr boos for the lap procedure as soon as I can. If they cannot be fixed I will go for ivf asap. My gyn was telling me about a clinic in Spain. The doc there was responsible for the third ivf baby. She said that they're so experienced and advanced that they offer a deal. ...3rounds of ivf (u pay for 3 together) and if you're not pregnant after the three cycles they give you your money back. She warned me off going to Prague as she said that they are novices and they implant the embryos too soon etc. It's so much to think about.

It's so confusing isn't it. Everyone has so many different opinions on clinics. I had my heart set on a clinic in Prague until one of my doctors told me if I was going to Prague to chose a different clinic, the other clinic works out the same price as doing a cycle here. Haven't even thought about Spain, I presume it works out around the same price as here, does it? But that's a good deal, not sure I'd have the money for 3 cycles up front though :(

• Advertisement

I know! It is so much, I would be paying it back till Kingdom come! But at the moment I just have one goal in sight, I would literally do anything to get it. I was put to sleep during the hysteroscopy as I had to have a septum removed. I am so scared that my tubes are damaged beyond repair and that the fluid inside them may hinder my success at ivf. I have driven myself crazy over the last few days reading stuff on the Internet. Do you mind me asking what your position is now and why after your lap etc are you considering ivf?

I know! It is so much, I would be paying it back till Kingdom come! But at the moment I just have one goal in sight, I would literally do anything to get it. I was put to sleep during the hysteroscopy as I had to have a septum removed. I am so scared that my tubes are damaged beyond repair and that the fluid inside them may hinder my success at ivf. I have driven myself crazy over the last few days reading stuff on the Internet. Do you mind me asking what your position is now and why after your lap etc are you considering ivf?

I can relate complete relate, I feel like I haven't had one day since my lap that I haven't thought about tubes/IVF/fluid etc.
    All I can say is don't be thinking the worst until you have the results from the lap. I know it's easier said than done.
    So I had no clue my tubes were blocked, not one symptom etc.
    The SIS on SIMS showed they were clear in June so thought nothing more of it until I had completed 3 TSI cycles and they wanted me to move to IUI. Before I forked out 1000 euro I had read on another forum that you should get the lap and dye done before any treatments(they do this in the UK for every fertility patient) so that's what I requested.
    Was in complete shock when he said both tubes were blocked... cried the min the dr left the room. He said I have every chance of conceiving naturally now if there was no other underlying issues and he said give it 6 mths.
    SIMS however are looking at it from the prescriptive of my age(36 this year) and best chances of getting pregnant. For them by passing the tubes altogether will give my my best chance, not to say that it won't happen naturally either as now I have one functioning tube that I didn't have before. There is a risk of ectopic aswell for me because they said my left tube is very inflamed from the blockage that they removed.
    We said we would give it 6 mths and now we have already passed 3, time goes so quickly when you are tccing so we are looking at IVF maybe in mth 5 or 6 now.
    Sorry I am probably repeating myself with most of this info.
    When you had the HSG, what did they say they could see exactly?

Still praying for my natural pregnancy every day :)

What is the name of the clinic in Spain, I will definitely look into it.

I really hope you get pregnant over the next few months Nemo. I have everything crossed for you. I don't have the name of the clinic but I can email Femplus and get it for you. I am booked in to see Dr Boos on the 13th, I can't wait to get a date for the procedure. My gyn never went into detail about the blockages so I am hoping that he will be able to enlighten me. Would you ever consider getting acupuncture to help with everything? It's something I am looking into but I will need to sell a kidney at this rate to pay for everything! !!!!!

I really hope you get pregnant over the next few months Nemo. I have everything crossed for you. I don't have the name of the clinic but I can email Femplus and get it for you. I am booked in to see Dr Boos on the 13th, I can't wait to get a date for the procedure. My gyn never went into detail about the blockages so I am hoping that he will be able to enlighten me. Would you ever consider getting acupuncture to help with everything? It's something I am looking into but I will need to sell a kidney at this rate to pay for everything! !!!!!

Would you believe I only started acu last week. Don't know what to expect from it. If I go for IVF I really want to continue doing it as I have heard it does help a lot. But I am throwing everything at these two cycles so that's why I started last week. Oh stop I can't even think about the money we are spending.. credit cards maxed, savings gone etc :eek:
    Best of luck with Dr.Boos on the 13th, you won't be waiting too long for an appointment for the procedure, after my consult I got the procedure done a week later xx

Best of luck Nemo, you have a lot going for you and the acupuncture will really help too. I hope that little egg makes it way down this month....it would be amazing, sending you lots of good vibes ;) xxxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Warning TMI!!!

First of all not looking for medical advice but just wondering if this has happened to any of you.

My cycle is normally 27-29 days. My next period should not be due for another 17 days. Was going to start "Duty" tonight and for the next 10 days. Yesterday I has some spotting and this morning a full bang heavy period. Very crampy and uncomfortable.
    This has never happened to me before so I am wondering what the hell is going on. All the signs on knicker watch were as normal so didn't expect this. Would have expected that I would ovulate sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I have being using the clearblue ovulation tests to pin point each month. I am 41..

We have a appointment with our clinic in a few weeks to go over options as in what our next step would be. Most lightly IVF. I am really upset that I can't start trying again this month. Any ideas ladies?[/QUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Warning TMI!!!

We have a appointment with our clinic in a few weeks to go over options as in what our next step would be. Most lightly IVF. I am really upset that I can't start trying again this month. Any ideas ladies?

I am at a total loss as it what m the hell my body is doing. After getting the heavy bleed which lasted that day and was really crampy and painful. Woke up the next morning and NOTHING... no flow. Then that afternoon got a short burst of heavy bleeding and gone again. Like WTF?? So bothing since Saturday,

TMI alert . My mucus was looking good for a good and I got my positive this morning on the clearblue ovulation pee stick and my mucus is egg while and looks ready to go. Waiting on my husband to come home and jump him!!! We have given it a go over the last few days so hopefully we will get lucky.

I just wish I knew what was going on and why. Any ideas welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Sorry Caroline I can't be of any help to you, that has never happened me, I often bleed a little after intercourse but that was it, only lasted a couple of hours. My not be a bad idea to contact your doctor and see what they say... sorry, hope you get lucky this month

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Caroline, I honestly don't have a clue :o. I hope that its nothing that would cause problems for you.

I want to start doing acu, never done it before, there is a Wellness Clinic in my area but I've also noticed a new type of clinic in the local shopping centre, the people doing it in there are Chinese, wondering would I be best going to them?? Going to go in over the weekend and have a chat with them, they should be good shouldn't they? My consult is Monday and I really can't wait to get up there, getting all test results and hopefully a new step forward in helping me to get pregnant. Roll on Monday (rarely say that!!)

I suppose there's no harm in asking them about their treatments, especially if it's close by. I will have to go into town for mine which will be a pain in the . Good luck for Monday, you will have to keep yourself really busy this weekend so you don't go CRAZY!!!! Having a few glasses of wine is always a good place to start; ) I hope you get the answers you are looking for on Monday. Keep us posted. ...enjoy the wine:)

Will do Penny, thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

nemo32 wrote: »
    So I had no clue my tubes were blocked, not one symptom etc.
    The SIS on SIMS showed they were clear in June so thought nothing more of it until I had completed 3 TSI cycles and they wanted me to move to IUI. Before I forked out 1000 euro I had read on another forum that you should get the lap and dye done before any treatments(they do this in the UK for every fertility patient) so that's what I requested.
    Was in complete shock when he said both tubes were blocked... cried the min the dr left the room. He said I have every chance of conceiving naturally now if there was no other underlying issues and he said give it 6 mths.

Hi Nemo,

Myself and my husband have been trying for the last 2 years without success. I had a consultation with Sims and it was recommended that I have a SIS and I thought this would be able to identify blocked tubes. I would then start IUI straight away .... Do you think I should have lap and dye instead ?

All v difficult to know what to do and would appreciate the advice .. Thanks v much

Denise2007 wrote: »
    Hi Nemo,

Myself and my husband have been trying for the last 2 years without success. I had a consultation with Sims and it was recommended that I have a SIS and I thought this would be able to identify blocked tubes. I would then start IUI straight away .... Do you think I should have lap and dye instead ?

All v difficult to know what to do and would appreciate the advice .. Thanks v much

Hi Denise2007,
    This is the thing, we need to trust these doctors with our fertility as they know best and it's so hard to second guess them. When I asked them how I can have 2 blocked tubes show up on the Lap and Dye and perfectly fine on the SIS they said you could have gained an infection since the SIS (5 mths in the difference) which I thought I would have know about or there was just a misreading when the SIS was done. Dr.L done the SIS and she is the best according to all the nurses, one of the nurses couldn't believe she would miss something like this so I am still kind of in the dark with the whole thing. What I would say is the lap and dye is invasive and if you have no other symtoms of endo etc then maybe it's not something to jump into straight away. I done 3 TSI cycles that failed and they wanted me to move onto IUI. I asked to be referred for the lap as I couldn't afford to throw 1k away before doing a thorough investigation, that was my take on it anyway. They seem to only send you for a lap if you have some failed treatments i.e IVF or if you have signs of endo.
    I know this doesn't help much sorry but maybe ask the doctor what is the difference between the two and is there any reason why the SIS wouldn't pick up something that that lap might and then make your decision from there?
    Best of luck x

I had my consultation today, got all my results back from tests, SA ok, tubes ok but my egg reserve is very low 😢 starting tsi on next cycle for 3 months and if that doesnt work im on to ivf, i feel totally fed up right now all i want to do all day is cry or run away just to be on my own, i know tomorrow il prob feel better but right now I'm depressed, why does everything have to be a battle, sorry guys dont mean to bring ye down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I had my consultation today, got all my results back from tests, SA ok, tubes ok but my egg reserve is very low 😢 starting tsi on next cycle for 3 months and if that doesnt work im on to ivf, i feel totally fed up right now all i want to do all day is cry or run away just to be on my own, i know tomorrow il prob feel better but right now I'm depressed, why does everything have to be a battle, sorry guys dont mean to bring ye down!

Don't be soft, you're not bringing anyone down. This thread is for the highs and lows of long term TTC. I'm really sorry you didn't get better news today xx

We are now 3 years and one month trying. Jaysis. Myself and himself discussed IVF the other night. I don't think I'm ready for it :/ Now, I'm counting my chicks before they've hatched - IVF hasn't even been mentioned yet, but if it comes to it, I honestly don't know if I'd be strong enough for it. 2 more rounds of clomid and then exploratory surgery. We'll see after that.

Don't be so hard on yourself Hollywood. I get days when I think I am ready for the looney bin I get so angry and upset. Allow yourself to be upset today, you have every right to be and then you can start from tomorrow. I have started a positive psychology class to try and refocus myself, have you tried meditation? I know it will not take away the pain but it might relieve some of the stress.

P.S one of my friends had a low egg reserve and she conceived naturally a month before she was due to start ivf. I was at the christening two weeks ago so try and keep that in mind. X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Hollywood they told me my egg reserve was low for my age after the blood test then when I had a scan the doc said it was better than they thought.

Hollywood, I have seen so many people say there AMH is low and get their BFP. It really is only a number which seems to mean so little. The TSI will be great to see how your ovaries react to meds and if you get some large follies then there is nothing stopping you from getting pregnant no matter what your AMH is.. Best of luck xx

Oh thanks so much guys, that makes me feel alot better, woke up this morning still feeling really horrible and negative... I know I'll get over it but it looks like today is another day of me feeling sorry for myself. I am feeling positive about the injections and I'll make sure I have a very positive mind over those 3 months to make sure I give it the best shot.

Even though you know there must be something wrong after 5 years its still very hard to swallow when your told, I knew I was going to get answers yesterday Im so glad I finally did and I have a step forward in treatment, I'd be lost without this forum I have no1 else I know going through any of this and thankfully for them never had to, I'd be lost without ye, I'd prob be like forest gump now running and running !!! So thank you all for responding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hollywood sorry to hear about your AMH result. I had one of 1.6 and I lost the rag the night I got the result, was hyperventilating and everything, so I know how you feel. I'll never forget the day I got the result walking home from work just bawling crying walking along the street (after holding it in in work all day). Focus on the positives - SA is good - that's half the battle!
    Why aren't they going to let you try IUI before IVF? If SA is good I would have thought IUI was first stop, not IVF.

I don't know she didn't mention IUI at all, I have Endometriosis and she said with that and after 2 surgeries my eggs are very low she said she didn't know when they would run out so if the TSI didn't work after 3-4 months IVF would be the next step, I thought she would have mentioned IUI, Iknow I should have but I was trying so bad to hold back the tears and I don't know I seemed to loose my mind while I was in there because I didn't ask very many questions, when I go to the clinic for the 10 day scan I'll ask about it then. My egg reserve is low but not very low. The thing that worries me is the Endo or cysts coming back this year if that happens I don't know what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I'm not sure how old you are Hollywood but age might be the reason for not suggesting IUI. The success rates with IUI are much lower than IVF. We had unexplained fertility, my AMH was good, SA was good, no issues identified. I thought IUI would be the next step after TSI but I was advised in my clinic that due to the low success rates with IUI they only recommend it if the woman is in her early thirties. Once you hit the magic 35, they recommend going straight to IVF (although it's obviously your decision). As an example of the figures, the clinical pregnancy rates in my clinic last year for my age group were 44% for IVF and 16% for IUI so it's a huge difference.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

I'm 27 lollypop, but I suppose with success rates that low and I have been trying for 5 years maybe she thought there isn't any point spending more time trying alternative methods if my eggs are going to run out. Have to wait the 3 weeks to start the injections now, really eager to get going on it!

There is a huge difference with the rates, prob better off going straight to ivf rather than iui, my consultant told my €4000 for ivf, I was thinking more like €6000, but I've ALOT of tests done for her in the past few weeks so would some tests not need repeating?

Advertisement