Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I think the clinics all have different policies on the tests, but for me (Merrion Fertility Clinic) as long as the tests were dated within 12 months of the start date of IVF they were fine. Anything older than 12 months had to be repeated. The main up to date tests they wanted were the SA, AMH, thyroid and the antral follicle count ultrasound. With the costs, the base price for me was 4500 but this doesn't include a lot of "extras". Things that i found that weren't included in the baseline price were the medications (144), the nurses consultation which is required on your first cycle to show you how to take the injections (160). Then, if you have embryos to make it to blastocyst there is an extra charge of 750 and then if you have embryos to freeze, there is a charge of 600. So i would definitely budget for closer to 6k than 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

I'm 27 lollypop, but I suppose with success rates that low and I have been trying for 5 years maybe she thought there isn't any point spending more time trying alternative methods if my eggs are going to run out. Have to wait the 3 weeks to start the injections now, really eager to get going on it!

There is a huge difference with the rates, prob better off going straight to ivf rather than iui, my consultant told my €4000 for ivf, I was thinking more like €6000, but I've ALOT of tests done for her in the past few weeks so would some tests not need repeating?

I was just about to post, I would say like you said that fact that your on the road so long they would move straight to IVF if TSI did not work. They recommended IVF for me after 3 TSI, due to the success rates and in my case I was 35.
    Yes the basic IVF is around the 4k mark but the EU bloods will need to be done if you haven't had them done within 3 mths of starting IVF and that's for both of you. Also you need to make sure if 4k includes freezing and blast etc. Did I remember correctly that you are with the HARI Hollywood?

I remember waiting to start my TSI, I was so exciting..kept checking the instructions on how to do the injections on you tube, I was an expert by the time cd1 came along... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Yeah sounds like a better plan, now sounds like a good time to start saving also, I have injections first which I hope work but I suppose that 1200 over the next 4 months, then onto 6k bill after that! I am remaining positive about the injections but I'd like to know all about ivf and be prepared for it just incase, if that's what I have to do next I'll do it!

nemo32 wrote: »
    I was just about to post, I would say like you said that fact that your on the road so long they would move straight to IVF if TSI did not work. They recommended IVF for me after 3 TSI, due to the success rates and in my case I was 35.
    Yes the basic IVF is around the 4k mark but the EU bloods will need to be done if you haven't had them done within 3 mths of starting IVF and that's for both of you. Also you need to make sure if 4k includes freezing and blast etc. Did I remember correctly that you are with the HARI Hollywood?

I remember waiting to start my TSI, I was so exciting..kept checking the instructions on how to do the injections on you tube, I was an expert by the time cd1 came along... lol

No I'm with Galway Fertility Clinic, really I suppose freezing is a good option to take too is it? Yeah I'll be looking up YouTube too, kinda nervous about injecting myself though!!

No I'm with Galway Fertility Clinic, really I suppose freezing is a good option to take too is it? Yeah I'll be looking up YouTube too, kinda nervous about injecting myself though!!

Sorry I was thinking of someone else. Well lets hope you won't even need to think about IVF and the price but if you do make sure you get the full price list before starting. This is the thing some people won't have anything to freeze and some will have but I don't think you have an option to not freeze if you do have some embryos left (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
    I have a complete fear of needles and I was able to manage doing them on my own which was a complete shocker. So my tips are to freeze the area before doing it, you can barely feel it then. Also someone else mentioned take the little needles out of the fridge as they sting if there cold but I didn't notice that. There really fine and I wouldn't say that lightly with the fear I have.. I am putting off a blood test for the last 3 weeks now.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got himself to inject me. No way could I do it myself.

Aw Nemo that's awful, I've given that many over the years that it doesn't cost me a thought now!! Was always sick as a child and giving blood tests!!!

Neyite, I told him that the minute I walked out of the hospital! He's only too happy to inject me but I think I might prefer to do it myself, he's not great with needles either he gets all giggly with nerves and that may not be good!! Eager to get started, really praying for a little bundle this year! Just need to keep myself calm, worst part is we're shopping for houses, going to view 4 this weekend and I don't want to get all stressed over it all, but things are moving in the right direction so I need to keep that in mind! We're totally sick renting

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You know what's cruel? That pregnancy symptoms and period symptoms are the same, especially when you have had treatment and you know that it's going to go one way or the other. The two week wait is the longest two weeks you'll ever experience.

Bit of a random one guys! Do any of you pee more frequently during ovulation? I'm on day 11 and since yesterday I am constantly going to the loo, up during the night going too. It always happens me around now it only lasts a few days too, anyone else experience this or am I just weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petalchild

You know what Hollywood, I never really thought about it but I am also day 11 (snap!) and I was up and down all through the night last night! I will watch it and see if it goes after Ovulation! I don't normally wake to go to the bathroom so you could be on to something!
    Its my first month using the CB monitor so I am hoping it has some magic powers! Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Bit of a random one guys! Do any of you pee more frequently during ovulation? I'm on day 11 and since yesterday I am constantly going to the loo, up during the night going too. It always happens me around now it only lasts a few days too, anyone else experience this or am I just weird!!

I think it's something to do with the HCG levels. That's what makes you pee more when your pregnant. So maybe these levels increase with your FSH levels around ov... it's only a guess though :confused:

petal child that's gas!! It happens me all the time just thought today I'd ask, least I'm not the only one! Good Luck with the monitor! Nemo you could be onto something there kinda makes sense! It's so annoying though hate getting up in the middle of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have noticed I sometimes pee a lot, only last a day or so. I wonder.......

I am out again this month. Was totally sure it "was my month" but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I have noticed I sometimes pee a lot, only last a day or so. I wonder.......

I am out again this month. Was totally sure it "was my month" but no.

Me too! Full convinced, but no *sigh*

It's my last month before injections so praying really hard *sigh too*, what makes this month any different! Ah positive thinking and all that! Trying to buy a house so that should keep my mind of it (you'd think)

It's my last month before injections so praying really hard *sigh too*, what makes this month any different! Ah positive thinking and all that! Trying to buy a house so that should keep my mind of it (you'd think)

Ha! Me too :D It's zero craic!

Aw stop, it's a pain, wishing my life away for each period, then wishing the 5 days of period away!! Cat altogether, have to stop that now though, enjoy every minute!

Aw stop, it's a pain, wishing my life away for each period, then wishing the 5 days of period away!! Cat altogether, have to stop that now though, enjoy every minute!

New house, new baby! That's what my mam (who, bless her, hasn't a fecking clue about fertility problems) says :)

I was SO sure last month that it was my month and was really down about the fact that it wasn't. I am deliberately trying to take a bit of step back and trying not to obsess this month so I wont have the same let down- Murphy's law this is the month that the OH decides he is ALLL about it! Total reversal or roles!!
    His first words this morning were " Did you pee on the stick yet?" who said romance was dead ay! ;-)

Well I'm hoping that having a new house will be stress free because the one we're in now is causing nothing but stress, everything is a chore in it, so maybe once I get the new house the little buddle of joy will come with it. Believe it or not my best friend and partner are always saying what your mum says Lucyfur!! Maybe they're not too far wrong (fingers crossed)

I haven't done the kits at all, kinda on the fence about them! Should I though? ATM we're just aiming for every 2-3 days and letting it be as spontaneous as possible (to avoid killing the romance)!!! Great craic

• Advertisement

Well I'm hoping that having a new house will be stress free because the one we're in now is causing nothing but stress, everything is a chore in it, so maybe once I get the new house the little buddle of joy will come with it. Believe it or not my best friend and partner are always saying what your mum says Lucyfur!! Maybe they're not too far wrong (fingers crossed)

I haven't done the kits at all, kinda on the fence about them! Should I though? ATM we're just aiming for every 2-3 days and letting it be as spontaneous as possible (to avoid killing the romance)!!! Great craic

Fingers crossed the saying comes true for you too Hollywood- It happened just like that for a colleague of mine!!

Not sure I can really recommend the kits since they haven't got me my BFP but I find they really work for me. I don't really have any obvious signs of Ov like a change in CM so it is good for me to identify the days that are key!- leaves the rest of the month free for some spontaneous romance without any pressure!. Suppose we're all just finding a way that might work for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I'm not in Ireland at present so was unsure about posting.
    Approaching 6 years now: 4 different acupuncturists, charting bbts for 4 years!, reflexology, yoga, pilates, trying a gluten/dairy/sugar free existence, 2 different fertility clinics, countless tests and blood tests, umpteen ultrasounds, 1 lap and 5 ICSI IVF with nothing to show except big credit card bills and a total lack of fear of needles these days.

Meanwhile, I have actually lost count of the number of children born to work colleagues, friends and family in this same time frame & find that with friends with kids in particular we're excluded from a lot of their get togethers because why invite the childless ones? Through my work I have witnessed numerous unwanted pregnancies, clients of addiction who seem to be able to get pregnant at will only to have their (quite often drug addicted) babies taken from them and generally given to other relatives, Morning after pills etc and all the time in a professional manner (but sometimes, screaming profanities in my head)

Every Christmas that passes identifies the gaping hole in our lives. I hate my birthday.
    And somehow I am still hopeful that it's going to happen, one day

Hello Cooperspale, it is a long tough road and on here we all traveling on it. Everyone says stay positive but I know it's very hard to do so. I'm just after my period so it's on to another month of trying again and trying not to think about it as 'trying' all the time. I was supposed to start TSI eith injections this month but with other stuff going on at the moment I didn't feel like I was in the right head space so I've put it off until next month, trying to give myself every chance!
    Times like Christmas is very very difficult I feel the same way, always thinking how lovely it would be to be pregnant for christmas or have our baby by xmas etc! Anytime is perfect! Hoping you get your bundle of joy this year x

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Hi Copperspale, I know exactly what you mean about seeing people getting pregnant who didn't want to be or cannot care for the children they have, let alone another one on the way. That really makes me question whether there is anything out there or is it down to the luck of the draw. I was so full of hopeful excitement this time last year, I really believed in the whole positivity thing but now I don't really feel anything. It's like a defeated acceptance has slowly crept in and it has stopped me from getting so upset every month when I get my period.

The only thing we can do is never give up and try to make the most of everything we have right now. I am trying to stay focused on today instead of running away with myself and worrying about the what ifs. I know what you mean about Christmas, birthdays etc. They are so tough, especially when another year passes you by. I didn't drink on St Patrick's Day last year because I was convinced I was pregnant, I really get upset thinking about it because I was bursting with excitement and here I am a year on in the same position.

Sometimes this journey can be so lonely but this forum is here to give you a hand up during those times when you don't think you can keep going anymore. It's a great place to get all your frustrations out because everyone on it knows exactly how you feel. Looking forward to hearing from you soon xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

6 days late and def not preg. Really pissed off. Have done 2 tests. next stop IVF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Sorry to hear that Caroline... I can empathise. I am totally sick of the whole thing today. I was a week late with no access to a pregnancy test (on holidays) and was 100% convinced it was my month.. Period arrived with a bang this morning and I'm so upset. Coupled with spending 22 hours traveling this is not a good day

I'm very ''meh'' at the moment. 3 years and 3 months trying. Thinking of taking a break when this round of clomid is done.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm sorry it wasnt your month Caroline :( And it must be especially hard the month before you are moving onto another stage of treatment. :(

I'd say I'm out this month too. Thinking about going back to the clinic for more clomid since it worked the last time. Still no word on my gynae appt for the MC - waiting since September now.

• Advertisement

I have a question that I feel a bit silly asking but sod it, I'll ask it anyway. I do a lot of exercise, including a lot of swimming. I'm wondering should I cut out the swimming? Could the chlorine mess with the pH balance...or kill off sperm? Obviously I'm not shoving the water up my flower :v but still...could it cause harm? When I was pregnant with the ectopic before we found out it was ectopic I was hospitalised and put on bed rest. Exercise was a complete no-no then...but my gynae at the clinic said to belt ahead with exercise but I never thought to ask about the swimming and I'm not due back for 2 months...

Advertisement