Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Flower :D

Actually I'm not sure Lucyfur. I know that douching after sex can be partially successful in reducing the risk of pregnancy. Its what I was told that hospitals can offer catholic rape victims when their beliefs wont permit the MAP. :(

But I think it only really works if its very soon after intercourse. Purely guessing here, but if they recommend propping yourself up for an hour to keep it all in to work its magic, then I'd assume that after the hour, its not a problem.

Having said that, some women use softcups - a kind of disposable mooncup to keep swimmers in for longer, I dunno if those would seal you for swimming but a mooncup would.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

:D

I think I'll not swim this month....talk about clutching at straws :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I always be swimming nearly every day do id like to know that one myself !! Jes I never even thought about that atal is this were am going wrong !! :O

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know! How people get knocked up and stay knocked up feels like some sort of super science lesson that I mitched on in school.

Neyite wrote: »
    I know! How people get knocked up and stay knocked up feels like some sort of super science lesson that I mitched on in school.

Totally!!

There's a rake of pregnant women in my pool and I'm looking at them in awe thinking ''how the hell do you manage to stay pregnant for SO LONG''

:pac:

Yeah, I think I need a break lol

• Advertisement

I did a wander through New Look today after work and everything remotely nice that I saw was maternity wear.
    "ooh that looks nic...MATERNITY WEAR!!"

happened about 5 times.

so I was all like

9f882617-54f1-4860-add0-8067b8107967.jpg

Omg it am totally the same its mad!!!
    I did a wander through New Look today after work and everything remotely nice that I saw was maternity wear.
    "ooh that looks nic...MATERNITY WEAR!!"

happened about 5 times.

so I was all like

9f882617-54f1-4860-add0-8067b8107967.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Aunt flow arrived today only 7 days late after a week of wreaking my head. Jaysus all of this is really messing with my poor head.

Aunt flow arrived today only 7 days late after a week of wreaking my head. Jaysus all of this is really messing with my poor head.

I have decided, after an early mis in Jan, a chemical in Feb and what looks like another this month, I am doing my 2 last months on clomid, having the surgery they want to do and then I am taking a break, where I will drink coffee every day and wine every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

It's good to take a break . your head never mind your body would be wrecked . I've substituted one coffee a day for decaffeinated its my only vice in fairness.

• Advertisement

I cut it down to one coffee, which I drank throughout pregnancy too. I'm not a big drinker usually so didn't modify my drinking during TTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

I drink about two cups of coffee a day and I go out almost every weekend. Should I stop drinking? I figured that all my friends and most of the planet have conceived whilst living normal lives. I have been going through this for 2 years and I feel like my life is stuck in so many ways so I feel like I can't stop myself from having some sort of normality to keep me going.
    Is there hard evidence out there that says that caffeine and alcohol impedes conception?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I drink 2 as well and if I fancy one after 6 I have decaffeinated. personally i don't think drinking etc causes problems conceiving unless your lifestyle is totally off the wall and even then I mean drugs addicts and alcoholics get pregnant.

I have a very down husband, he was sure this was our month and it has hit him hard. I would,'t think he has spoken 20 words in the last 24 hours. I hate seeing the stress and pain on his face. I am wrecked, could not sleep last night so going to have a date with my bed, a hot mug of tea and a book.

No point in trying to cheer each other up. We both need to wallow and get it out of our systems but F%%% this s%%%e.

Lucky, big hugs. Will drop yo a message over the next few days. Hope you are ok xx

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

God love you both, it is shxx Caroline, it's so unfair but you will pick yourself up and do everything you can to make it happen. It is so hard to keep going sometimes and I often feel like giving up on the whole thing and getting a few dogs to love and dote on but something keeps pushing meon. I hhope you and your husband are feeling a bit better this evening xxx x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On the swimming affecting swimmers... I'd be fairly sure it doesn't. The swimmers should be up in the fallopian tubes to do the fertilisation. The pool water shouldn't be getting in at all, let alone up through the uterus and in as far as the tubes. If you think about what they need to do to get the dye into your tubes for a lap and dye, i don't think it can happen without some effort.

All my issues were around cycle length and trying to predict when that illusive egg was actually going to release from the damn ovary. I swam 4+ times a week while trying, I don't think it had an impact for me. Swimming is so mind-clearing, i found it helped my sanity when ttc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I got a call yesterday from the hospital with results of bloods tests I had carried out in December, they tell me my Prolactin levels were high and they need me to repeat the test, why tell me 3 months later it's crazy... she asked me on the phone if anyone had talked to me about the result which they didn't so she proceeded to tell me this, so I'm taking the injections with my next period and for my 10 day scan I have to ask the clinic to repeat bloods to check prolactin. Had lots of bloods taken before and don't remember any other doctor mentioning this so it must be a once off

Happy Mother's day to all the Mum's, Grandma's, Foster Mums, Stepmum's, Surrogate mum's, Mother figures, Want to be Mum's, Mum's-to-be, and Mum's of angels out there!

In one way or another we are all Mums in our hearts and tomorrow is going to be a hard day for some of us but lets remind each other that "the beautiful are yet to be born"

I read that quote in a book today :)

I got a call yesterday from the hospital with results of bloods tests I had carried out in December, they tell me my Prolactin levels were high and they need me to repeat the test, why tell me 3 months later it's crazy... she asked me on the phone if anyone had talked to me about the result which they didn't so she proceeded to tell me this, so I'm taking the injections with my next period and for my 10 day scan I have to ask the clinic to repeat bloods to check prolactin. Had lots of bloods taken before and don't remember any other doctor mentioning this so it must be a once off

It can sometimes spike in stressful situations and be grand again on the next test - that happened to me. I had prolactin issues and if you search my posts on the chat thread from August 2011 where I mention prolactin, it might give you info on that. The endocrinologist reckoned that my levels were sometimes high, but not high enough to affect fertility.

Thanks for that Neyite, I'm having the bloods redone for my Day 10 scan so at least thats something. I'm out AGAIN this month, it's officially 5 years now from when I first started on this journey, it's hard sometimes. Starting my injections on Saturday that's my Day 4 so I suppose that's something to look forward too.

Just really need to get in the right head space, staying stress free and positive I think! Worst part is I'm hoping to be applying for a mortgage this week or early next week, is it possible to stay calm throughout that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted here for a while. I've been trying to take my mind my off ttc! Anyway, its nearly time for my Hari appointment so I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling there. My hubby is also due to do a repeat semen analysis. He has been off alcohol & on vitamins etc. since New Years so hopefully his results will be better than the last time. We'll be 4 years trying this summer so fingers crossed things will work out for us with Hari.

Will update soon!

I wish you and your partner the very best of luck tomeetipee hope it alk works out for use :)
    TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted here for a while. I've been trying to take my mind my off ttc! Anyway, its nearly time for my Hari appointment so I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling there. My hubby is also due to do a repeat semen analysis. He has been off alcohol & on vitamins etc. since New Years so hopefully his results will be better than the last time. We'll be 4 years trying this summer so fingers crossed things will work out for us with Hari.

Will update soon!

I checked where I was on the waiting list today for the gynae referral. She said that there is a 9 month waiting list, and they got the GP letter in December.

GP sent it in September - its dated then, and I was sitting in the surgery when they were typing it. Dunno what corner of the hospital it was tossed into for 3 months, but the nice secretary I spoke to said they'd talk to the consultant to see if I can go up the list a bit after I gave her an outline of my case. I'll hear back tomorrow.

Waiting lists are absolutely crazy, hopefully they'll move you up a bit.

Good Luck TommeeTippee hope it works out for you.

I have the most beautiful dream last night, that I was FINALLY pregnant, I kept saying to myself in the dream 'I'm pregnant', I was so happy and I couldn't believe it had finally happened.... then I woke up :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

I checked where I was on the waiting list today for the gynae referral. She said that there is a 9 month waiting list, and they got the GP letter in December.

GP sent it in September - its dated then, and I was sitting in the surgery when they were typing it. Dunno what corner of the hospital it was tossed into for 3 months, but the nice secretary I spoke to said they'd talk to the consultant to see if I can go up the list a bit after I gave her an outline of my case. I'll hear back tomorrow.

That's a long waiting time never mind adding in the extra few months when your referral letter was in limbo! Hopefully they will bump you up the list a bit. It's terribly frustrating waiting & waiting.

Well I started my injections yesterday, feeling good about them, staying stress free and positive! Fingers crossed x

Hi Guys

I've started injections, they're Gonal F. It looks like one pen will do me this month as the dose is 112.5 and the total in the pen is 450, that means I'll have one full pen left, can I use that next month or will I have to spend another €144 getting the full prescription? I know I'll need the Otrivelle for Day 10, is it possible just to get that?

Fingers crossed I won't need it though and the injections will work this month :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Good luck Hollywood.
    As long as the expiry date on the pen is okay you can keep it but you might not know yet how much you need. Have they told you how long you'll be stimulated for? If you're on 112.50 that means that one pen would last you 4 days.
    I was on GONAL F for 8 days but I think it can be anywhere between 6 and 12 days depending on how your follicles grow. They usually decide at the scans how long to keep going for.

I'm on Gonal F for days 4, 6 and 8, then on Day 10 with my scan I have to bring the Otrivelle which they will give me, not sure what happens after that? They didn't say if I need to inject after that, I suppose I'll know more with my scan on Friday.

The injections need to be kept in the fridge but I have to bring the Otrivelle with me on Friday, only I need to drive 2 hours to get to the clinic, should I keep the injection in a cooler bag for the drive?

• Advertisement

I'm on Gonal F for days 4, 6 and 8, then on Day 10 with my scan I have to bring the Otrivelle which they will give me, not sure what happens after that? They didn't say if I need to inject after that, I suppose I'll know more with my scan on Friday.

The injections need to be kept in the fridge but I have to bring the Otrivelle with me on Friday, only I need to drive 2 hours to get to the clinic, should I keep the injection in a cooler bag for the drive?

It should be fine in a cooler bag. I think its only really long term storage outside of a fridge that is the worry.

Very best of luck. :)

Advertisement