Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Well stay positive Hollywood, hopefully ivf won't be something you will have to do x

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Thanks Penny, if it has to be done I'll do it, it will be worth it to get a little bundle of joy! Best of luck on the 4th, let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Hi all, getting all geared up for my first ivf cycle!! We are having icsi and I'm being put on the short protocol. Next period is due mid July, just missed out on June as I needed to get a few other tests done first. Have my pre period scan all booked for a few days before my period is due and then hopefully we will be all set to start once my period arrives. Nervous and excited at the same time!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The very best of luck to you Tomee, I hope you get a swift result from the process.

I had my MC referral - a bunch of blood tests and I'm due back the last half of July. So with my period due the week or so before that, either I'll be getting clomid, or I'll be getting anti-MC treatments prescribed then, if by some miracle I get pregnant next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Best of luck tommee!

• Advertisement

Best of luck Tommee! Hope it goes well and you get your bfp!
    Im onto my 4th cycle of Ovulation Induction with TSI, if this doesn't work I'll be onto IVF!

Neyite wrote: »
    The very best of luck to you Tomee, I hope you get a swift result from the process.

I had my MC referral - a bunch of blood tests and I'm due back the last half of July. So with my period due the week or so before that, either I'll be getting clomid, or I'll be getting anti-MC treatments prescribed then, if by some miracle I get pregnant next month.

Thanks for all the good wishes ladies. I will let you know how I get on.

Neyite - glad you finally got your appointment - I know that you have been waiting a long time. Hopefully they will be able to help you and that it is something that is easily treated.

Bobskii - hope the pregnancy is progressing well! I'm also attending Hari, so here's hoping for another good story from a first time ivf-er!

Hollywood - fingers crossed your last cycle of ovulation induction works and hopefully you won't have to go down the ivf route.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Best of luck TomeeTipee, It's a very exciting time so enjoy it. I am on my 2ww from my first IVF cycle so if you have any questions I can help with please shout. I'll be happy to help if I can :)

Keeping everything crossed Tommee, it would be great, I'm not holding out too much hope, staying positive secretly though!

Hi Nemo, I know I'm not starting IVF yet but I'm definitely researching it because next month if OI doesn't work I'll be heading down that route myself, it's quite overwhelming, I'm a bit worried about work, I don't have much annual leave left and the clinic told me yesterday that I'll have to go to the info talk, EC and maybe 6 scans, so that's 8 days maybe more off work, I know some of the scans I can squeeze into a morning and maybe be back in work for 12, I live 2 hours away from the clinic. Did you need many days off? TBH I want to be pregnant, that's my number 1 priority so work will figure itself out but I was just wondering. I'm attending Galway Fertility Clinic

Keeping everything crossed Tommee, it would be great, I'm not holding out too much hope, staying positive secretly though!

Hi Nemo, I know I'm not starting IVF yet but I'm definitely researching it because next month if OI doesn't work I'll be heading down that route myself, it's quite overwhelming, I'm a bit worried about work, I don't have much annual leave left and the clinic told me yesterday that I'll have to go to the info talk, EC and maybe 6 scans, so that's 8 days maybe more off work, I know some of the scans I can squeeze into a morning and maybe be back in work for 12, I live 2 hours away from the clinic. Did you need many days off? TBH I want to be pregnant, that's my number 1 priority so work will figure itself out but I was just wondering. I'm attending Galway Fertility Clinic

Hi Hollywood, Yes the most stressful part of the whole thing really is fitting it in around work. A lot of people get a sick note from there GP once they start the scanning and take right up until the transfer off. So I had 3 scans in total but I was a quick responder (don't have a problem growing big follies). First scan on cd2 and then on cd7 & 8. My EC was on a Friday cd11 so only needed that one day off and went back to work on Monday but you would definitely need the day of EC and maybe a day or 2 off after it, the sedation knocks you for six(best 2 nights sleep I ever had). I then had a 5 day transfer so again another day off. I took 3 days annual leave off after that just for my own piece of mind so I could relax. But if you work in an office job etc they say you can go back the day after transfer. Any other questions let me know :) I hope this TSI works for you and you won't even need to worry about all this ;)

• Advertisement

I'm in an office job so maybe the EC and the ET day would be the only full day off I need, well most likely the info meet also. I know I may not need it yet but I need to have some some of an idea what's ahead of me. Can I ask, is it just one period you need period they let you start or is it 2-3? How does the egg transfer work?

I'm in an office job so maybe the EC and the ET day would be the only full day off I need, well most likely the info meet also. I know I may not need it yet but I need to have some some of an idea what's ahead of me. Can I ask, is it just one period you need period they let you start or is it 2-3? How does the egg transfer work?

Some people do have soreness after EC so just be aware of that one. I was just really tired, little bloated but not sore. In between failed IVF's they like you to have 3 periods but I think you can start straight away after TSI but this is something your clinic would have to let you know. I am guessing each clinic is different.
    Transfer is just like a smear, your not sedated or anything like that. 5 min procedure :)

Thanks a million Nemo, it's good to even know that much!

Thanks a million Nemo, it's good to even know that much!

No problem, I hope you can forget it all in a couple of weeks when your TSI works this time xx

nemo32 wrote: »
    No problem, I hope you can forget it all in a couple of weeks when your TSI works this time xx

Best of luck with the 2ww nemo, this must be the hardest part in some ways! I really hope you get your positive result soon.

Do you mind me asking - you mentioned you had a day 5 transfer - did you have many eggs fertilise or how did you make the decision to wait until day 5? The doctors are expecting me to be a poor responder and aren't expecting too many eggs so if we don't have too many, they are recommending a day 2 transfer. If we have more than expected, we might try to hold out until day 5, but would also be worried that none would make it that far! I suppose we can't make any kind of decision until we see how it goes. I'm mentally preparing myself for a poor response, so if it goes better than expected, I'll be delighted. If we get any to freeze I'd be over the moon, but it looks unlikely.

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Best of luck with the 2ww nemo, this must be the hardest part in some ways! I really hope you get your positive result soon.

Do you mind me asking - you mentioned you had a day 5 transfer - did you have many eggs fertilise or how did you make the decision to wait until day 5? The doctors are expecting me to be a poor responder and aren't expecting too many eggs so if we don't have too many, they are recommending a day 2 transfer. If we have more than expected, we might try to hold out until day 5, but would also be worried that none would make it that far! I suppose we can't make any kind of decision until we see how it goes. I'm mentally preparing myself for a poor response, so if it goes better than expected, I'll be delighted. If we get any to freeze I'd be over the moon, but it looks unlikely.

That was the second hardest part of the whole process Tomee, the wait to see if they make it to day 5! So we had 9 eggs collected, all mature, all 9 fertilised but 5 were abnormal which left us with 4. Watching the numbers more than half in less than 24 hours was hard but the clinic kept saying 'your doctor has advised a 5 day transfer' on day 3 I called them in a panic, I kept thinking 'what if the numbers have halved again' I just wanted them all back inside asap. I still had 4 at day 3, all growing at the same pace. So when we got to day 5 we only had 2 good ones left. It really is a numbers game.
    I strongly believe you only get 1 or 2 good ones every cycle no matter how many you get at EC. The meds obviously try and help make more eggs but how good can they be if they are all being made at the same time etc?
    I think if I only had 1 or 2 on day 2-3 I would just put them back in like the hospital said but again they do say if they don't make it to day 5 they probably wouldn't make a pregnancy but then again I can't see how they can prove this. Some people make the decision to hold out to day 5 no matter what but it's a very personal decision and after going through the whole cycle I am not sure how I would cope with nothing to transfer right at the last hurdle. Sorry I'm rambling now :eek: I hope that answered your questions xx

Fingers crossed Nemo xx thanks for answering my questions

nemo32 wrote: »
    That was the second hardest part of the whole process Tomee, the wait to see if they make it to day 5! So we had 9 eggs collected, all mature, all 9 fertilised but 5 were abnormal which left us with 4. Watching the numbers more than half in less than 24 hours was hard but the clinic kept saying 'your doctor has advised a 5 day transfer' on day 3 I called them in a panic, I kept thinking 'what if the numbers have halved again' I just wanted them all back inside asap. I still had 4 at day 3, all growing at the same pace. So when we got to day 5 we only had 2 good ones left. It really is a numbers game.
    I strongly believe you only get 1 or 2 good ones every cycle no matter how many you get at EC. The meds obviously try and help make more eggs but how good can they be if they are all being made at the same time etc?
    I think if I only had 1 or 2 on day 2-3 I would just put them back in like the hospital said but again they do say if they don't make it to day 5 they probably wouldn't make a pregnancy but then again I can't see how they can prove this. Some people make the decision to hold out to day 5 no matter what but it's a very personal decision and after going through the whole cycle I am not sure how I would cope with nothing to transfer right at the last hurdle. Sorry I'm rambling now :eek: I hope that answered your questions xx

Thanks for the information nemo, you are right - its definitely a numbers game and that is exactly what my doctor said to me. I can't imagine what it must have been like waiting until day 5 and wondering every day how your embryos were getting on. Statistically, we were told that if you start with 10 follicles, they expect to get about 2 blasts, as the numbers keep dropping at each step along the way. Sounds like that just about describes your own experience! We will just have to wait and see and in all honesty, I think I will just do whatever they recommend.

Hope your 2ww flies by for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Tommee I had 6 eggs collected which in thought was low . made it to fertilisation 4 made it to day 5 . We had one to freeze on day 6 so no matter how small your number it only takes one . If the hospital think it's best to go for day 3 they will ring u that morning . nenemo best of luck on your wait,it's very tough!!

bobskii wrote: »
    Tommee I had 6 eggs collected which in thought was low . made it to fertilisation 4 made it to day 5 . We had one to freeze on day 6 so no matter how small your number it only takes one . If the hospital think it's best to go for day 3 they will ring u that morning . nenemo best of luck on your wait,it's very tough!!

That's great that 4 made it to day 5, out of 6 eggs collected! I'm slightly obsessed about the numbers and stats etc as they are talking about me getting 1, maybe 2 eggs and transferring on day 2 :o

Everyone keeps saying it only takes 1, so I know I really need to focus on that and not worry too much about all the numbers. Easier said than done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi Tomee looks like we'll be ivf buddies, I'm waiting for my cycle too, probably 28/29th of June then short protocol too, going through Sims. Nervous but hopeful. We're imsi and using Eva machine too, anything to help prevent any more misses. My bloods are good, cytokynes finally normal, blood not stick, endo and cysts gone so fingers and toes crossed.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi Tomee looks like we'll be ivf buddies, I'm waiting for my cycle too, probably 28/29th of June then short protocol too, going through Sims. Nervous but hopeful. We're imsi and using Eva machine too, anything to help prevent any more misses. My bloods are good, cytokynes finally normal, blood not stick, endo and cysts gone so fingers and toes crossed.

Barbiegirl, it'll be nice to have a cycle buddy, especially since we are both on the short protocol. Best of luck, hope it all goes well, fingers and toes crossed!

Ladies does the clinic just phone you up on the day of transfer to get you to come in??

Try and take it easy Tommee and try to relax, (says she who always freaks out) I know it's very hard!

Barbiegirl, I'm currently going through OI with TSI, during my last scan they found a cyst and 2 endometriomas but they are allowing me to go ahead with treatment, if the TSI doesn't work this month I'm moving onto IVF next month, will they remove the cyst before starting IVF, just seen you said you have no endo or cysts is that because they removed them? Just trying to figure out the process, I don't feel the TSI will work this is the 4th attempt so I'm trying to prepare myself for IVF. Very best of luck with your cycle, hope you get your BFP the end of the month xx

Ladies does the clinic just phone you up on the day of transfer to get you to come in??

Hollywood, It depends on what the plan is for your transfer which in turn will depend on how many embryos you'll get. Ladies who they know will only get 2-3 embryos they will usually go with a 3 day transfer so in that case they call you the day after EC to tell you how many fertilised and then they will probably tell you what time to come in on day 3. Same thing happens for 5 day transfer, if you have plenty fertilised and they believe they will get 1 or 2 to day 5 they will call you on day 4 and tell you what time to come in the next day. Now some clinics do things little differently but that's more or less the jist of it. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for replying nemo, yes it definitely does, at least there would be a bit of time to inform work then! Hopefully the OI will work this month but I'm not holding out much hope, is that bad? My sister in law is killing me for being negative but I was hopeful the last 3 months only to be let down

Thanks for replying nemo, yes it definitely does, at least there would be a bit of time to inform work then! Hopefully the OI will work this month but I'm not holding out much hope, is that bad? My sister in law is killing me for being negative but I was hopeful the last 3 months only to be let down

You'll have a fair idea once you know how many fertilised which happens the day after EC. No I was the same, I done 3 TSI's and tried to remain positive for each one but it's hard. Everyone that knows about this cycle are saying the same to me about my negativity. But I am the one feeling completely normal with no symptoms at all ( i mean minus symptoms). I only started to become negative in the last couple of days when I knew I should have HCG in my system at this stage and I know how my body reacts to it normally so I think I have a fair idea what the results is going to be, probably should just lie to people and say 'yes it will be a BFP' but I'll only be making it worse for myself so why try to protect other people. I'm only worried about me and my OH right now.

And your exactly right Nemo, both of you are the people going through this so you are dead right just to be concerned about the 2 of you. Others that haven't had trouble ttc have no idea what is going on in our heads, they don't understand what we have to do to try to protect ourselves. I'm fed up of them criticising me for being negative and telling me it's not yet my time, such crap I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that. My sister in law has 2 girls, neither was planned but she had no trouble conceiving, she is great but has no idea what is going on, I've stopped talking to everyone about it except my best friend she has no kids and hasn't started trying, she is concerned about herself because she has pcos but even still she always says the right thing... I'm so glad to have this thread... it's great to have others going through this journey, the time is going so fast aswell, CD7 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Try and take it easy Tommee and try to relax, (says she who always freaks out) I know it's very hard!

Barbiegirl, I'm currently going through OI with TSI, during my last scan they found a cyst and 2 endometriomas but they are allowing me to go ahead with treatment, if the TSI doesn't work this month I'm moving onto IVF next month, will they remove the cyst before starting IVF, just seen you said you have no endo or cysts is that because they removed them? Just trying to figure out the process, I don't feel the TSI will work this is the 4th attempt so I'm trying to prepare myself for IVF. Very best of luck with your cycle, hope you get your BFP the end of the month xx

Hi Hollywood, they definitely did for me, though with a diff clinic at the time, Sims said they would have removed the endo, cyst and I had a septum. The cyst depending on where it is can affect implantation, endo releases hormones that disrupt implantation and the septum just made it impossible. Unfortunately Ivf isn't a magic bullet and before you shell out a fortune it's best to do everything to increase your odds. Best of luck hopefully you won't need Ivf at all.

Thanks Barbiegirl, good to know, into my last round of TSI and so far it's torture, had a scan today - day10, follicles are too small so was sent home to take more gonal f and have to head back to clinic on wed for another scan, so annoying, thought today was my last time up there for a while, typical for me really :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

hi girls, some of ye may remember me, I was on this thread for almost a year but needed to clear my head for the last few months... so again here is my story

I already have one DD, 11, I had her quite young with a different partner. Me and my DH are almost 3 years (in August TTC). We have been attending the Merdian clinic for over a year and a half now. So far they have come up with no issues. DH sperm count was good except for mobility which was only slightly below average.

I've had ALL and I mean all my tests done (bloods, hysterectomy, D&C, lap and dye, several internal and external ultra sounds scans), so far the only thing that came back was my cervix was a bit small after I had Letz treatment 5 years ago and they have since re-dilated it.

We have done 2 separate sets of 3 months on clomid (even thought I am ovulating, my periods can be irregular).

I was coping pretty well with the stress ad monthly disappointment, until last week my DD's father came and told us him and his new wife (of 4 months) are pregnant. I have no idea why this upset me, I know I have no reason to be upset but it has hit me quite bad.

We have our next appointment in 2 weeks, I have no idea what they are going to say or what we are going to try next.

Wishing you all lots of baby dust xxx

Advertisement