Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Imsi is used in particular if there are recurrent miscarriages which we've had. It's meant to up the % chances again. We said we had enough for 3 rounds so let's throw everything at it. We're also using the eeva machine.
    We wouldn't have this money if not for the death of my father, affording fertility treatment is really hard.
    We went to the open morning last February and they went through everything. Dr Bart's speciality is recurrent miscarriage so fingers crossed.
    Hoping not to see a call from Sims tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Jesus, it's something you don't even consider when you're thinking about what could go wrong in ivf. The week before I was told that my cycle might have to be cancelled due to a lack of mature eggs - I thought it was the worst thing ever. When they collected 16 eggs I was ecstatic and I thought the next hurdle would be getting as many to day 5.
    Do you mind me asking what clinic you attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Pennyloves and ahaaha I'm so sorry to hear your news. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you both. I really hope you get some answers at your review meetings. Take care of yourselves.

barbiegirl - really really hope your embie is a strong one and that it all goes well on Sunday.

Unfortunately, my own ivf cycle got cancelled yesterday before it even got started. I had my pre period scan and they couldn't see a single follicle on either ovary! I wasn't expecting many, but to get none was a complete shock. There is a small possibility that there could be some tiny follicles at this stage that they just can't see and they could start to grow if I were to start stimming, but the clinic thought it was best to wait and see if I have any/many follicles next month instead. Had myself all psyched up to start, so very disappointed but fingers crossed I can go ahead next month.

Sorry to hear that. Nothing seems to be straight forward with ivf. You really have to build yourself up for all the knocks along the way. Maybe ask them if there are any foods/ supplements you can take to encourage follicle growth. At least you'll feel like you're working towards something for the next few weeks.
    I wish I could start tomorrow! !!! Hopefully I will be ready in mid sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Tomee Tipee that is such a blow. Each stage has so many obstacles but hopefully by next month there will be an improvement. would anything like Accupuncture or reflexology help?
    Penny loves I'm in CFC. You? I've a bit more acceptance about it all today, hope you do too

• Advertisement

On a light hearted note I feel the biggest urge to fart, like I have half a tonne of gas :D looked it up and combination of fluid retention and swollen follicles. Lemon water it is so for the day. The joys of messing with the body.
    Tomee Tipee sorry to hear fingers crossed for next month. Ahaaha and Pennyloves onwards and upwards sending hugs and prayers.

Thanks for the support ladies. I'm already on all the supplements - coq10, royal jelly, vit b etc - and I've been doing acupuncture too so already feel that I've all bases covered in that regard. Unfortunately I've an extremely low egg reserve so it seems to be down to that. I'll just have to hope that things look better next month.

Barbiegirl- are your clinic keeping you up to date on how your embryo is progressing? I'd say it is so tough waiting until tomorrow. Hopefully your little embryo will be snuggling down inside you tomorrow.

ahaaha and pennyloves - hope you are looking after yourselves and feeling a bit better today. Pennyloves - hopefully they will let you start again soon and they will have learned from this cycle.

They said they'd call if there was a problem so no news is good news. Haven't left the phone from my side just in case.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    They said they'd call if there was a problem so no news is good news. Haven't left the phone from my side just in case.

That's great barbiegirl. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow xx

Well we got the call this morning, the last embie wasn't a goer so now I have a week and a half off to prep for next round. A review meeting with Dr is next. Onwards and upwards, we lived in hope but were expecting this. :-( Think I deserve desert today

• Advertisement

Well we got the call this morning, the last embie wasn't a goer so now I have a week and a half off to prep for next round. A review meeting with Dr is next. Onwards and upwards, we lived in hope but were expecting this. :-( Think I deserve desert today

Oh barbiegirl, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get some answers at your review meeting. You definitely deserve some desert today, take care of yourself and your husband.

Will you be starting into a new round on your next cycle? I thought in some of the clinics you have to wait 2 or 3 cycles. It will be good to have something to look forward to. Really hope the next cycle works out for you and hopefully your clinic will have learned from this cycle.

Sorry to hear that Barbiegirl, it's good that you're so positive. I need to learn from you! Enjoy your dessert today!;)

I'm not sure. I know a friend went straight to next cycle. We can get one more in before our holidays.
    We'll see what doc says. Funnily I wasn't expecting a positive result first time out, so not devastated but a bit sad. Sure hopefully something has been learned and it'll help next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Barbiegirl I'm so sorry to hear your news. I know it's hard not to get your hopes up and it's tough to finish here. Great to hear you can start again so quickly. I think you deserve more than a nice dessert! Mind yourselves x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Really sorry to hear all the sad news in this thread. I know it's very easy for me to say now, but most say treat the first cycle as a test run. Even though the result wasn't a BFP, you all will be heading into the next cycle a lot more prepared for anything that can come up.

Barbiegirl, it's recommended that you leave 3 months between cycles due to the amount of hormones that you took during the cycle and to give your body a rest. Obviously you know what's best for you and partner but make sure you have all the facts before rushing into another cycle. It's such a tough decision to make when doing another cycle one hat you know all he ups and downs that go along with it.

Thanks Orchidpretty believe me we'll be led by the docs. The time off will allow me to lose the steroid weight gained. We've no objection to waiting other than impatience. We always knew this was beta test, second round is alpha and third is go-live. So disappointed but not devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

You have a great attitude Barbiegirl. Best of luck with your next cycle.

Thanks Orchidpretty believe me we'll be led by the docs. The time off will allow me to lose the steroid weight gained. We've no objection to waiting other than impatience. We always knew this was beta test, second round is alpha and third is go-live. So disappointed but not devastated.

You do indeed have a great attitude about it barbiegirl. You're definitely right about the first round being a beta test, but love the line about the second and third being alpha and go-live!! Best of luck with the next round.

Found this and thought it could be useful to a couple of us here. http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=283000.0
    Certainly has given me questions to ask and a greater understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Sorry to hear the sad bad news (pennyloves, barbiegirl, ahaaha) these past days.
    IVF can be a very tedious and frustrating thing to go through.
    That link is great barbiegirl; I read it only earlier this year & and I am on this merry-go-round quite a while now. There are so many posts on forums out there on this subject that essentially give a bunch of opinions and not that many answers & you can waste a lot of time looking for answers.
    The first IVF can be a very expensive learning process because you go in thinking surely the docs know everything & like me not ask enough especially if you go to appointments alone &/or easily get bombarded by the plethora of details when there is SO much going on in your life (treatment stuff, emotions, wrangling time off work etc etc)
    Generally if you aren't pregnant by IVF #3, it's going to be a very long haul.
    Regarding gaps between treatments, clinics can vary a lot, anything from 1 to 3 periods in between. From what I've read you can leave smaller gaps if you're on a short/antagonist protocol, but everyone varies in how they get over each treatment.
    Oh and the lower carb/ higher protein during cycle can give less bloating.
    Good luck to everyone and remember you're not alone

• Advertisement

Thinking of asking for a womb scratch before next go. If we are going to wait the extra month, Sims insist on one, with holidays it will be two, we might as well use the extra time to increase chances. Well assuming we get healthy, fertilised embryos next time. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I think anything that increases your chances is worth it barbiegirl.

What is a womb scratch? Why do they do it? None of my eggs fertilised. .....do you think it would be worth my while getting one done? The Hari never mentioned it.

It's called an endo scratch penny . It's done to increase the lining of your womb to help the egg implant . I dunno why it was recommended to me probably because of my age and time not being on my side.

It won't help our eggs Penny but WHEN we get great eggs next round it'll give them a better chance of sticking. I don't think my lining was entirely optimized either last round. Don't meet consultant til the 29th will ask then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My friend got that scratch done this transfer as her last one didn't take & she got her positive. Definately worth a try, good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

pennyloves wrote: »
    What is a womb scratch? Why do they do it? None of my eggs fertilised. .....do you think it would be worth my while getting one done? The Hari never mentioned it.
    Also known as endometrial biopsy
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WomensHealth/womb-scratching-technique-boost-ivf-success/story?id=17365332
    Not sure what trigger people have used but
    When I changed clinics my new dr changed my trigger from ovidrel to pregnyl because she was finding better fertilisation results after getting higher quality egg retrieval. Whilst no BFP for me yet, I've definitely improved my results with this regimen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hi!
    sorry to butt in on this thread, I haven't posted much in this particular forum. I am TFAB for just over 5 years and I'm now 37 (38 in Nov) and its at the stage now that I don't know what I want to do anymore!

I went to a clinic for all the tests 2 years ago, all fine, just told unexplained infertility. since then I've been trying to go the alternative route by doing acupuncture, arvigo maya massage and reflexology. All great for relaxation, but no luck! Now back getting updated tests done now by my GP. Trying to figure out what to do now. IVF etc is so expensive and we are going to try for the public route, but it could take a LONG time before we even get an appointment, and with my age, I'm not sure its an option. IUI has been suggested, and can be done in my hometown clinic, and at a fraction of the cost of IVF. I need to go back to the clinic to discuss further, but its something that I feel is worth trying, and financially a lot more accessible....although not if it fails and we need to try again!

Does anyone feel like at this stage, after this long, they can be bothered anymore? I am sort of thinking, well maybe we are fine as we are! My friends even tell us how tired they are etc, and how lucky we are to be able to even sleep in when we want! I know so many people pregnant at the moment, and its like a stab in the heart everytime someone else I know announces it. Recently there were about 5 announcements in the one week! I nearly had a meltdown!
    Its a very confusing time for me, I just don't know what to do. I'm scared sh*tless of doing IUI or IVF, not sure how I'll react if it didn't work.

I'm literally worn out from it all!

I was the exact same as you,I'm 37 and 38 in November . Once I passed 35/36 I waved and said I was not sure . I carried on anyway and said id go to the information evenings and decide after that . I left the final decision to my husband and I already had a child from a previous relationship . He wanted ta go ahead so we did . The public route is very long but with all your tests already done it might not be as long as my journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobskii wrote: »
    I was the exact same as you,I'm 37 and 38 in November . Once I passed 35/36 I waved and said I was not sure . I carried on anyway and said id go to the information evenings and decide after that . I left the final decision to my husband and I already had a child from a previous relationship . He wanted ta go ahead so we did . The public route is very long but with all your tests already done it might not be as long as my journey.

thanks for the reply :)
    I don't have kids, neither does my husband, and in a way we are fine as we are, we are together 11 years, married 5, but in some ways we don't feel like we need to have kids...but we do want to!
    I just don't want to leave it too late, but I just am so frustrated that they can't find anything wrong me me, so nothing they can fix! that's why I tried all the alternative stuff, hoping that would solve it, but it hasn't so we have no choice now but to go for fertilty treatment, which I really didn't want.

I need to chat to the clinic again and figure out our options, but either way its all €€€€€ and putting more financial pressure on us before we even have a baby is not a good thing! never thought for a minute it would come to this 5 years ago!:(

Advertisement