Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hi I'm about 4 months in trying il be 35 in October nothing happening so far
    Is it too early to starting fertility tests
    For the tests should I go through my go or straight to fertility clinic
    I'm in bray so can anyone recommend a clinic the beacon is close and so is sims
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi I'm about 4 months in trying il be 35 in October nothing happening so far
    Is it too early to starting fertility tests
    For the tests should I go through my go or straight to fertility clinic
    I'm in bray so can anyone recommend a clinic the beacon is close and so is sims
    Thanks

The general rule is 12 months trying for under 35's, 6 months trying for over 35's.

Your GP is your first step. You can have all your basic tests done there.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Starting clomid on Tuesday. We shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Neyite wrote: »
    Starting clomid on Tuesday. We shall see...

Best of luck Neyite, fingers crossed for you!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Best of luck Neyite, fingers crossed for you!

Thanks!

I dunno how I feel about it to be honest. Glad I'm going on the meds and hopeful of a result, but quite apprehensive about miscarrying too. Of course, there is no reason I will, nothing showed in tests and many women have a few and then go on to have healthy pregnancies but I've taken up couch to 5k as a stressbuster, and thats helping a lot with my headspace.

I'm in awe of you ladies who undergo IVF and those associated procedures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

The fear of miscarriage is ever with you once you've had a couple, but remember each pregnancy is an instance in it's own right and is treated as such. So celebrate "when" you get there, try to relax, easier said than done, and fingers crossed you'll never have to get to our point. :D

Six years trying end of this month. It's a long bloody time. We've had lots of fun in that time, done things we couldn't have if we had a family, but feeling like enough is enough, time to get this family gig on the road.

Neyite, I totally understand what you mean about worrying about miscarrying. I've had 2, with one being in the second trimester, so my biggest fear is the ivf working and then having another miscarriage. But as you said yourself, many women have a few and then go on to have healthy pregnancies. Barbiegirl is right, each pregnancy is a new instance and there is no reason why things won't work out. You've had a healthy pregnancy before, so that is a really good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Hi All,
    transferred 2 blast on Sunday so fingers crossed. Unfortunately I've just developed moderate OHSS which is not at all comfortable. I was rushed in this morning for ultrasound and bloods and now I have to take it easy, drink electrolytes and eat salty food to try and get rid of all this excess fluid that has me swelled out like a bloated frog. I was meant to do another pregnyl booster Thursday but doctor has warned me not to unless I want to end up in ICU. I'm walking around like John Wayne at the minute but fingers crossed, it's going to work out this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I've everything crossed for you ,hope you're successful this round xx

Cooperspale, 2 blasts is great! Fingers crossed it works out for you. Sorry to hear about the ohss, hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.

I will probably be in for egg collection in a few more days. I started off the cycle with 3 antral follicles, but only 2 of them are growing well, the third is very far behind. So it looks like I might get 2 eggs and they want to transfer whatever I get on day 2 or 3. I'll have to see how things go for the next few days.

• Advertisement

Good luck guys everything crossed for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Good luck Cooperspale, hopefully it all works out and the ohss eases.

I have my consult about IVF last week, going to wait until January to get started, just purchased a house that needs some work so we're living with the mother in law until its ready, really don't want to go through ivf in her house, so when our own house is ready we'll start, think that's the best option, gives us a little time to not think about it and try naturally not that it will work after 5 years but we'll see, we're waiting until 2015 anyway, praying that's our year!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

I'd just like to wish everybody the very best of luck! Been on holidays taking a complete break from life. Feeling positive more often than not again these days. There has been so much progress by everyone in the last few weeks. I'm thinking of you all x

Cooperspale, hope you are surviving the 2 week wait ok and that you are feeling better.

Hollywood130, hope everything works out for you with the ivf in january. I can definitely understand not wanting to go through that in your mother in laws house!!

As for me, I'm in for egg collection on Monday!! I have 2 follicles so fingers crossed we get 2 mature eggs. I'm a bit worried as ideally they like to have a lot more eggs to work with, but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever do better than 2, so just have to hope they are good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Tomee Tippee, I was told that my cycle may have to t be cancelled due to having so few mature eggs but on ec day they managed to get 16! I was blown away, especially after all the upset of the previous week so keep the faith and eat plenty of protein. I literally had 3/4 eggs for breakfast and a bowl of spinach with my dinner. Good luck, we are all routing for you x

Oh my gosh pennyloves, 16 eggs after thinking you might have to cancel is some improvement! Sorry if this is a stupid question, its my first time, but can you get more than 1 egg per follicle? I thought with 2 follicles, 2 would be the maximum number of eggs that I could get. That's the impression I always got from the doctors but I'm not actually too sure.

God I am not sure about that Tomee. Rest as much as you can and eat well and P.G. everything will go brilliantly on Monday xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

No tomee, there will only be one( or none) eggs per follicle. They will only know when they drain it. The optimum follie size for egg collection is between 20mm and 24mm so you are grand as long as they are that size. They can grow 2mm per day so as pennyloves says eat loads of protein; 2 days can make a huge difference.

Best of luck on Monday.

Thanks for the responses pennyloves and orchidsrpretty, think I just misunderstood. I definitely only have 2 follicles and they are both a good size, so I'm hoping that both give good mature eggs. I started with 3, but the other one basically stopped growing about a week ago, so no hope for an extra few eggs I'm afraid. Fingers crossed for Monday anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses pennyloves and orchidsrpretty, think I just misunderstood. I definitely only have 2 follicles and they are both a good size, so I'm hoping that both give good mature eggs. I started with 3, but the other one basically stopped growing about a week ago, so no hope for an extra few eggs I'm afraid. Fingers crossed for Monday anyway!

Best of luck tomorrow Tomee Tipee

• Advertisement

Good luck tomorrow Tomee

Thanks for all the good wishes ladies. Well I had my egg collection yesterday and they got 2 eggs, as expected. I got a phone call this morning to say that only one has fertilised so if it is still going strong tomorrow, I'll be having a day 2 transfer tomorrow afternoon. They will phone me in the morning to let me know if its going ahead, so a very nerve wreaking time!

I was just thinking about you this morning Tomee, you have so many people wishing you well. You only need one little egg to have your little miracle! Try and get out of the house today and keep busy, you've done everything you can do. Xxxxx

Thinking of you Tommee. Your nerves must be shattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fingers crossed Tommee

Thanks a million everyone, the support on here is great. I'm trying to relax as much as possible today. Will update tomorrow!

Best of luck, you only need one so fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

it only took one egg for me tommee,wishing you success everything crossed for you . penny hope your keeping well too.x

Well, we got the call this morning to say that our little embryo didn't make it, so that's it I'm afraid.

I really don't know where we go from here. We had 3 antral follicles starting out this cycle which is more than I usually have (normally have 1 or 2), so really felt that this would be our best shot. I know we all say it only takes one egg, but the reality is that it takes 1 good egg. The doctors told me before we started that our chances of success are low because of my low egg numbers. They went through all the stats with me - not all follicles give mature eggs, not all eggs fertilise, not all fertilsed embryos cleave and not all cleaved embryos will make it to blast. To get through all these stages, they really like to see at least 5 follicles so I start each cycle at a disadvantage.

Sorry for the moan, just feeling very down about it all. I don't know how many more cycles we can realistically afford. We will have to see what advice they give us at our review meeting in a few weeks and then make some tough decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Really sorry to hear that TomeeTipee :-( Heart goes out to you xxx

Advertisement