Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Speaking of weight...has it been an issue for anyone having treatment? I'm losing at the moment but the last time I was in Galway Dr Egan was off and I saw a woman who made it quite clear that treatment wouldn't happen without me dropping weight. I'm not massive...I've lost nearly a stone and I'm a size 12 but I'm still concerned that I'll be told they don't do IVF on elephants :/

Hello ladies,

I haven't been on this form for forever. I just found it to hard to deal with but for some reason I decided to read up on the last 5/6 months of happenings this evening.

F**king Hell Lucyfur. I had that crap in Galway and those of you who know my issues know that we are 12 years and many many m/c's down the road. We decided months ago to move clinics after hearing of a case involving my doctor and the positive experience of a friend with another clinic. We are now with SIMS and Dr Kennedy and what a joy he is to deal with. No crap, just look we are going to do the best for you to get you the result you want. He is not making promises that all will work out perfectly, more that we are getting all our ducks in a row and going at it with guns glazing .Rather than my last clinic of "it's just one of those things" and when I did fight for more tests, we got a result. If they had to have looked into it in the first place, most lightly we would have a number of children by now. All sorted by simple medication. When we asked about ivf, i was told it would be of "no help to us" when I lost it and pushed it, I got the weight issue and believe me I am double the size of Lucyfur.

Anyway, now we are starting treatment soon in sims. We have had all the tests rerun and again what I thought might have been the issue all along was part of it and we are now waiting for my next period for a controlled cycle and we start... at the rip old age of 42.5!!! As for the weight issue, not a problem. The only thing Dr Kennedy said was I myself know how fit I am so if I am happy then he is more than happy to go ahead. Same for my friend who is a size 18/20. Health at every size. I am working my ass off to get as fit as I can before the treatment and that hopefully if we do get pregnant it will make it easier. I don't have any medical issues so hopefully this is our time.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I wasn't sure if you'd taken a break or left the thread for good Caro, its not the kind of thing you ask people though, is it?

But its lovely to see you back with encouraging news. I'm leaning towards going straight to IVF myself, but it will be abroad, not here I think, but I want to take a bit of time to research my options. What was the test and meds that resolved your issue, do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Guys I'm just looking for some advice. A friend of mine - very close friend has just had a failed ivf - and it's not the first ivf cycle. I'm just wondering how I can help. Is there anything that helps get through such a devastating time? I have been trying to conceive for a while also so I understand how hard it is. But I haven't been trying nearly as long as she has - I just don't know how she does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hello ladies,

I haven't been on this form for forever. I just found it to hard to deal with but for some reason I decided to read up on the last 5/6 months of happenings this evening.

F**king Hell Lucyfur. I had that crap in Galway and those of you who know my issues know that we are 12 years and many many m/c's down the road. We decided months ago to move clinics after hearing of a case involving my doctor and the positive experience of a friend with another clinic. We are now with SIMS and Dr Kennedy and what a joy he is to deal with. No crap, just look we are going to do the best for you to get you the result you want. He is not making promises that all will work out perfectly, more that we are getting all our ducks in a row and going at it with guns glazing .Rather than my last clinic of "it's just one of those things" and when I did fight for more tests, we got a result. If they had to have looked into it in the first place, most lightly we would have a number of children by now. All sorted by simple medication. When we asked about ivf, i was told it would be of "no help to us" when I lost it and pushed it, I got the weight issue and believe me I am double the size of Lucyfur.

Anyway, now we are starting treatment soon in sims. We have had all the tests rerun and again what I thought might have been the issue all along was part of it and we are now waiting for my next period for a controlled cycle and we start... at the rip old age of 42.5!!! As for the weight issue, not a problem. The only thing Dr Kennedy said was I myself know how fit I am so if I am happy then he is more than happy to go ahead. Same for my friend who is a size 18/20. Health at every size. I am working my ass off to get as fit as I can before the treatment and that hopefully if we do get pregnant it will make it easier. I don't have any medical issues so hopefully this is our time.

<3 it's great to see you back posting xx I've my BMI under 27 so my own nurse here says once it's below 30 they'll be grand. I hate how things like this vary from clinic to clinic. You'd swear overweight women never got pregnant, ever!

I'm a bit uneasy about Galway. We'll go to this appointment and see what happens but if it's dismissive, I'm moving on. Like Neyite, I'm not keen on ivf here but mainly due to finances. It's so much cheaper abroad. Looking at Spain and Athens at the mo. It'd be nice to get a holiday as well as a baby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm with Galway aswell Lucyfur, as of yet I haven't had any issues with them, I'm waiting to start IVF treatment. I hope this appointment is more positive for you. It's so hard to know where to go. My plan is to have this treatment with them, if we can freeze & do FET second time (hopefully won't be needed) but after that if we've had no success it'll definitely be abroad as there is no way we could keep funding it.

have you looked at Prague? I've seen alot of good reviews from there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Carolinespring, best of luck with your upcoming treatment in sims. I know you've had a really long and difficult journey so I really hope everything works out for you. I'm also with Dr Kennedy in sims, after a number of failed cycles at hari, and I find him really good so I think you're in safe hands.

Dreamstar, I can only talk of my own experiences of failed ivf cycles, but in terms of getting support from friends, the two things that bugged me were (1) when people totally ignored the situation, probably because they didn't know what to say, but it upset me that some of my friends knew i had been through a failed cycle but didn't ask how i was or mention it at all. (2) it drives me mad when well meaning people say things like "i just know it will happen the next time for you" or rubbish like that, when they don't know any such thing! I probably sound very hard to please but really all i wanted from friends was for them to say that thry were sorry to hear my news and for them to ask how i was doing. I really think that's all you can do, let your friend know that you are there for them and if they want to talk about it, be there to listen, but try not to offer "well meaning advice".

As for me, I'm due in for egg collection on Wednesday. Looks like i have 3 follicles in the running so fingers crossed i get one magic egg in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Quickie, for those of you who have taken clomid before, did you experience bad cramping/discomfort? I'm on cd19 now and just feel rotten. I do periodically get pains which I'm not sure are attributable to ovulation or oncoming period. These feel different though and I'm also very very bloated.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

yellow hen wrote: »
    Quickie, for those of you who have taken clomid before, did you experience bad cramping/discomfort? I'm on cd19 now and just feel rotten. I do periodically get pains which I'm not sure are attributable to ovulation or oncoming period. These feel different though and I'm also very very bloated.

I got pretty winded by ovulation pains on clomid - sometimes I could barely speak with the pain. Over stimulation is rare but can happen especially on a big dose so no harm to ring up the clinic and discuss it with them.

Thanks neyite. I'd say I have about as much chance of getting through to Santa as I have the coombe. Told you it'd be triplets (actually I shouldn't joke about it!)

Great advice Tommee, I haven't had any failed IVF cycles but during all of this some people are like 'oh it's not your time' & 'it'll happen when you stop thinking about it', what a load of rubbish... but I think your advice is bang on. Best of luck tomorrow, will be thinking of you x

YH I had terrible pains & bloatedness during ovulation when I was on clomid, not every month but I do remember the terrible pains, like I'd be stuck to the couch for the evening.

• Advertisement

Quick update, still a bit wreaked after egg collection! We have 2 fertilised embryos. Going to transfer both on day 3, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Oh that's fantastic news! Best of luck TomeeTipee

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Quick update, still a bit wreaked after egg collection! We have 2 fertilised embryos. Going to transfer both on day 3, all going well.

Nice one! Will be thinking of you, and hoping it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Brilliant news TomeeTipee fingers and toes crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dreamstar wrote: »
    Guys I'm just looking for some advice. A friend of mine - very close friend has just had a failed ivf - and it's not the first ivf cycle. I'm just wondering how I can help. Is there anything that helps get through such a devastating time? I have been trying to conceive for a while also so I understand how hard it is. But I haven't been trying nearly as long as she has - I just don't know how she does it!

Never ever say something like "don't worry it will all be alright". No one knows if it will all be alright. What my mother in law said to my wife after our recent failed IVF made me want to smack the woman. As if it wasn't hard enough. Just listen & call a spade a spade, it's sh!t Agree with them that its sh!t. Don't go on about how someone you know who had it worse, it's their life. Also acknowledge the "death", from the minute that egg goes in you (the couple) feel different. It may not be an actual technical pregnancy, but it was something. Support your friend's mourning.

Aw fantastic news TommeeTippee, keeping everything crossed for you, exciting times xx

Oh that's great news tommy tippee.... Best of luck!

I had my day 21 bloods done and in with consultant in a fortnight to see if I ovulated. Fingers crossed I did!

Well I'm officially in the 2 week wait now after having my 2 day 3 embryos transferred yesterday. I have no patience so I know I'll be testing early & often!

Hollywood, hope the MRI went well!

Everything crossed for two beautiful stickies xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Good luck Tomee!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Just a little update from me. When last I posted I was on my second IUI, which unfortunately did not work. Since then I have had a round of IVF. Found the process a little overwhelming, just the number of drugs and the daily injections and stuff but I didn't feel sick during it. They harvested 26 eggs, which was fantastic but put me at risk for OHSS. Had to drink litres and litres of milk and water and be very careful with not over exerting myself.

19 eggs fertilized, 7 made it to day 5. I had to be scanned on day 5 to assess the OHSS and see if they could proceed with implantation. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that implantation would not be going ahead for another month or two but they were happy to go ahead. 1 embryo implanted and 6 frozen on the 8th of June.

Was told to test on the 21st. Found the last (almost) three weeks fierce tough, but made it to this morning and tested positive. Twice, as I was afraid to trust the first one!!

Have a scan now on the 1st of July so hopefully that will show everything developing as it should. I think I am still in shock. I have gotten so used to disappointment I don't think I know how to handle good news!

Two things helped me over the last few weeks and so I mention them as they might help others

1. For me, testing early would have made it worse. I needed to be able to be sure that once I got a result that it was right, rather than a result of fertility drugs etc. With the IUIs I tested early and I think that it made me worse.

2 It was suggested to me to make a list of all the things my husband and I would do if we didn't/couldn't have children. Might seem like an odd thing to do but it did help me to see that life would not end if this didn't work. Not that it wouldn't be devastating, of course it would, but just to even get a glimmer of there being life and happiness beyond this.

Anyway, nice to be able to contribute some good news at last. Fingers and toes crossed.

Massive congratulations Brokensoul delighted for you

That is such great news brokensoul. I don't recall reading your posts previously but it sounds like you've had a long road. Delighted you got the end result you wanted!

Period arrived overnight here. Should have known it was coming as I was a b*tch on wheels last night...just horrendous form. Today I feel so so down....the pain is horrible and just a reminder that another month has passed. I am due to start clomid again tomorrow but if I were lucky enough to concieve this month coming it would fall with my husbands finals next April so I'm thinking off deferring the clomid for a month. Do you think that's ok? The three months don't need to be taken consecutively do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Delighted for you brokensoul.. Such a great result after such a hard round. I wish you a happy and healthy 8 month ahead xxx

Tomee, Congrats on being pupo. Do whatever you need to do to get you through the next 2 weeks, I have everything crossed for you xx

Well feck, now I'm crying at work, Brokensoul. :D I'm so fcuking happy to read your post, I love it when this thread gets a BFP. 26 eggs!! seriously that's the biggest retrieval I've heard of!!

Wishing you a happy and safe pregnancy. :):)

Woohoo!! Congrats brokensoul :D

Anyone know anything about TSH levels? Mine are on the cusp of being high...will they acknowledge that or will the be classed as being within range?

Depends on the clinic Lucy.. my clinic likes to see my TSH below 2.

Fingers crossed Tommee, hope the 2ww doesn't treat you too badly!

Massive congrats to you and your husband brokensoul, that really is great news! Think we all LOVE the good news stories. Hapy & healthy pregnancy to you xx

YH, maybe give your OB a call, I'm not too sure if they have to be taken consecutively.

MRI went ok, it's all over and done. They didn't tell me anything and I didn't get a DVD, only thought of it when I got home! AF arrived for me on the 10th of June, gone by 14th BUT the problem is it started again on the 19th, like I didn't have one at all, only lasted 3 days. Rang the clinic, they asked me to do a test which was negative, this has never happened me before so I don't know what is going on

nemo32 wrote: »
    Depends on the clinic Lucy.. my clinic likes to see my TSH below 2.

Oh wow! Mines over 4 :/ what clinic do you go to?

• Advertisement

I attend SIMS, I would say most clinics will treat a TSH of 4. They will just prescribe Eltroxin to bring it down I'd say.

Advertisement