Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Thanks nemo :) I'm in Galway tomorrow so hopefully it'll be addressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Definitely bring it up Lucyfur if they don't mention it... better to have everything looked into. I'm attending Galway too

Oh I will :)

Has Egan retired from private as well as public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Wow Brokensoul, I am over the moon for you pet! Huge congratulations xxx

Yellow Hen, I didn't do my first clomid three months consecutively, Aunt Flow arrived early and I was away so I didn't have them with me... hope this helps xx

I'm not with Egan but I was up there 2 weeks ago Yellow Hen & he was there with patients

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Congrats brokensoul wonderful news.

Tomee will keep everything crossed for you.

Lucyfur I was in the merrion clinic and TSH was tested regularly and had to be below 2 so I would definitely bring it up.

Yellow Hen I took a gap month in clomid as I was going to be away around day 10 when I needed to go in for a scan. The clinic had no issue with it. The only thing is that the effect is supposed to be slightly cumulative but if you're sure you're ovulating on the dose you're on then that's neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Congrats brokensoul wonderful news.

Tomee will keep everything crossed for you.

Lucyfur I was in the merrion clinic and TSH was tested regularly and had to be below 2 so I would definitely bring it up.

Yellow Hen I took a gap month in clomid as I was going to be away around day 10 when I needed to go in for a scan. The clinic had no issue with it. The only thing is that the effect is supposed to be slightly cumulative but if you're sure you're ovulating on the dose you're on then that's neither here nor there.

Thanks contrary Mary. My consultant hasn't scanned this round and I've had no blood results yet so I don't know if I ovulate. I decided to just keep going with it and see what happens. I'm hoping the crap timing will guarantee a positive result!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks contrary Mary. My consultant hasn't scanned this round and I've had no blood results yet so I don't know if I ovulate. I decided to just keep going with it and see what happens. I'm hoping the crap timing will guarantee a positive result!

Ha ha yeah that's the spirit! I suggest you book an expensive non-refundable adventure sports holiday for the following month too - that should do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Massive congratulations brokensoul, great to see the good news stories here!

Hollywood and stickybean, when are you both starting? Fingers crossed for you both.

As for me, I'm 2 weeks past egg collection so although its not my official test day just yet, I've been testing on and off for the past few days. All negative I'm afraid. I've been using first response tests so I know they should be showing something by now. I know its not for everyone, but on all my previous failed cycles I found testing early and often helped to me start coming to terms with the negative results. This time, I'm really struggling with the outcome as this was our 5th attempt and I really don't know if I can keep putting myself through it. We took out a loan to pay for this round so it will be a long time before we could even afford another round if that is what we decide to do. So it is really hitting me hard this time.

Tomeetippee, I really feel for you. I hope you'll be proven wrong but I think you usually know your own body and false hope is not helpful.
    Take care and allow yourself the headspace you need to think about the future.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm so sorry to hear that Tommee, be kind to yourself for the next few days. It must be so hard after 5 attempts. :(

Money is a huge factor for me too amongst others of course, that's why I'm looking abroad if I go down the IVF route, which is looking like the only way I'll be successful, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

So sorry your going through all of this Tommee, On my last IVF I had a late implanter, only got a faint line at 12dp5dt so your not out of the game just yet. In saying that I know how hard it is to get our hopes up and to be disappointed. I'm not far behind you, I'll be doing my 4th cycle when I get the money this year sometime. It's so hard to know we spend so much time and money on something that should come so naturally xxx

Lucyfur, how did you get on with your appointment?

Tomee I'm so sorry :( you poor thing. 5 attempts...my god, you're wonderful to go through IVF 5 times. Mind yourself xxx

The appointment went well, nemo. IVF is our best shot as there was no improvement in the semen analysis, it had poorer results than last time. I've been contacting clinics abroad. We hope to have a consultation in September and begin treatment in November.

Did they say anything about your TSH?

nemo32 wrote: »
    Did they say anything about your TSH?

They did. It's borderline. She said there's arguments between clinics, some are happy with it under 4.9, some want it under 2.5. She put me on 25mg of eltroxin. Tiny dose and very few side effects, thankfully :)

Great, at least they treated it. I was on 25mg and it did have an impact. Best of luck xx

Thank you! Oh, she also told me my weight is not an issue and that the doctor who told me it was, was wrong :D

Tommee, I'm still waiting on results from my MRI, going to ring the clinic tomorrow it will be a week and a half since I had it done so I'm hoping they have results then. If the MRI is clear then I'll be starting July 9th, that's my CD21 so fingers crossed! Aw Tommee, I really feel for you, life is so so hard. You definitely need time out to think about the future, I really hope everything works out for you

Lucyfur if you don't mind me asking, have you picked a clinic abroad? I am going with Galway for this attempt but will go abroad next time if we need to. That's great news about the weight too, was suprised that was mentioned to you before, ridiculous actually, best of luck

Girls, can I ask he ballpark figures you have paid/ are paying for IUI and IVF. We're thinking about moving house and it's going to absorb all our cash which makes me nervous.

I don't mind one bit :) We're between 3 but one is really in the lead and I've a friend who has had success there too. I'll PM you, I don't know if we're allowed mention clinics? We just can't afford Galway. If it didn't work first time, we wouldn't have the money to go again.

• Advertisement

Girls, can I ask he ballpark figures you have paid/ are paying for IUI and IVF. We're thinking about moving house and it's going to absorb all our cash which makes me nervous.

In Galway, IVF is €4500 without meds. Meds can vary from €300-€1000.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I don't mind one bit :) We're between 3 but one is really in the lead and I've a friend who has had success there too. I'll PM you, I don't know if we're allowed mention clinics? We just can't afford Galway. If it didn't work first time, we wouldn't have the money to go again.

It's a grey area tbh. We have discussed doctors and clinics and prices here before - prices are fine, but recommendations for a particular clinic or doctor are usually not allowed. But, I'll ask fellow mods for an opinion. So for now, if you mention the unnamed clinics as Clinic A, B, C to give a general idea of prices and procedures, it should be fine. :)

I would be interested as well Lucyfur. I know when I added up the prices to go aboard it was only saving me around 1000 euro so I didn't think it was worth the stress but if you found out the clinic were preforming a better service(better results) I'd quite happily save myself the 1000 euro and head aboard.

Me too Lucyfur

Well at the moment I have paid the €4500, I'm on the Drug Payment Scheme so the meds have only cost €144. We're in the middle of finishing our house too, I've used the Credit Union so it's handy. i'll claim back on my tax in January and that will pay a good bit off the loan. This is my first attempt but would go abroad next time as I said as I couldn't afford to keep going here

Me too Lucyfur

Well at the moment I have paid the €4500, I'm on the Drug Payment Scheme so the meds have only cost €144. We're in the middle of finishing our house too, I've used the Credit Union so it's handy. i'll claim back on my tax in January and that will pay a good bit off the loan. This is my first attempt but would go abroad next time as I said as I couldn't afford to keep going here

Silly question but is everyone not entitled to claim drugs through the drug refund scheme?

Silly question but is everyone not entitled to claim drugs through the drug refund scheme?

I think she meant that the clinic cost €4,500 but the drugs are capped at €144.

Are all the drugs covered under the DPS? I must apply, I've the form sitting in the car

On my 3 IVfs the meds were all covered under on the DPS scheme. As far as I know nobody is exempt from getting the card.

Neyite wrote: »
    I think she meant that the clinic cost €4,500 but the drugs are capped at €144.

No I understood that. My question was more: why would anyone have up pay up to €1000 for meds if we're all entitled to the DPS card?

• Advertisement

No I understood that. My question was more: why would anyone have up pay up to €1000 for meds if we're all entitled to the DPS card?

I said 300-1000 as that's what I was advised from clinics abroad. Obviously I'm wrong, which is brilliant! Delighted to hear they're all covered under DPS.

Apologies :)

Advertisement