Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

dreamstar wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe it! I'm reluctant to get too excited. The next few weeks will be loooong. :D

Unfortunately I can't give you any solace there, the next few weeks definitely will be long and full of worry but I think that is normal. Get yourself a little scan booked for about 7 weeks the level of assurance and calm that gave me was phenomenal. Gives you something to work towards also! When is your due date? Will you be another "due in February"?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

Dreamstar!!! Wonderful news! Delighted for you. Wow ladies there must be something in the water. No news for ages and now.... Fingers crossed more of us join you all. Hope all you pregnant ladies are keeping well. Pop back and keep us updated please

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

I'm thrilled for you Dreamstar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Well Neyite ...... I think I have proven your theory.
    In shock - got my BFP this morning! What the hell!!!!! I'm so happy / nervous / excited / scared.

I am so F**king happy for you dreamstar. After the year you have had you deserve a bit of luck!

Will have fingers and toes crossed that all goes well for you. x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

brilliant news .I'm so delighted for you!you so deserve this xo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Dteamstar! Amazing! Congrats so so deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Neyite wrote: »
    Hahaha that's brilliant!! :D:D I am so fcuking delighted for you!! If anyone deserves this, you do given the tough year you've had with chemo. You've faced it with such pragmatism and positivity that this is only your due.

You are still going on the holiday though, right?

Thanks so much Neyite! Still can't quite believe it!
    I'm definitely going on the holiday. I'm just worried all my medical issues will make me high risk but I'll just talk to the doctor about it. I've checked all the terms and conditions and once you are not over 24 weeks you're save to travel. So I'm sure it will be fine - I should be just starting my second trimester all going well. IT'S MAD!!

greenttc wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't give you any solace there, the next few weeks definitely will be long and full of worry but I think that is normal. Get yourself a little scan booked for about 7 weeks the level of assurance and calm that gave me was phenomenal. Gives you something to work towards also! When is your due date? Will you be another "due in February"?

Yeah I think I will definitely book the early scan for reassurance. I think I'm March 5th! Actually can't believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yay! Delighted for you Dreamstar :D
    I was on holiday last week which was week 12 and it was grand

Hi Greenttc,
    Just wondering - I am due back for a check up in Holles St soon and am going to schedule an early scan in the merrion clinic for that day too. I'll be 7 and a half weeks.
    I know you had one done round that time - can you see anything then or is it too early?
    I wanted to do it mainly to make sure my cyst etc. won't be an issue. But just wondering what I could expect to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Hi Greenttc,
    Just wondering - I am due back for a check up in Holles St soon and am going to schedule an early scan in the merrion clinic for that day too. I'll be 7 and a half weeks.
    I know you had one done round that time - can you see anything then or is it too early?
    I wanted to do it mainly to make sure my cyst etc. won't be an issue. But just wondering what I could expect to see.

Morning dreamstar,
    Yes I had it done in the merrion at 7 weeks and 1 day. I had an internal scan because my uterus is more along my back instead if at the front. I think they do internal anyway if they don't see anything from the outside at this early stage. Just so you are prepared!
    They saw the wee little embryo and could see a flickering little heart beat and you can also hear it too, hearing it is really amazing! Best feeling ever! You can also see the cord.They also looked at my ovaries for cysts etc and the technician was even able to tell me which ovary I had ovulated from. So there is lots to see at that stage. Yes the embryo is just a little blob with no real "human form" but that is just what they look like at that stage.

The technician we had was great and answered all our questions about what was what etc. Very reassuring! Are you going soon then? You will get so much relief from it, we walked out on clouds after, we just couldn't believe it was real and all okay!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had a scan at 7+4 too dreamstar. It will be dildocam at that early stage in order to see everything properly. And they can tell quite a lot.

From what I've gathered since (it was nearly 5 years ago) is that some people have been scanned from 5 weeks but its hit and miss as to whether or not the scanner picks up anything that early and that can cause unnecessary stress to parents. So they prefer to do them from the 6 weeks onwards at least to avoid that.

I had a scan at 7 weeks that was clear enough without using the dildocam. But they didn't pick up the fact that there were two in there until a week later.

That's great - thanks guys. The clinic said 7 weeks should be enough and I'm eager to have one done before I meet my consultant. I'm going to be super super nervous. It was at the 12 week scan in my last pregnancy that I was told I was going to miscarry. It was honestly so traumatic that I know this will bring back those memories. I don't think I can let myself believe it's actually happening until the scan. I'm sure a lot of you know how that feels.

Ah I'm well used to dildocams. With what I've been through the last year every doctor in Dublin has been up my hoo haa! :D

The technician we had was great and answered all our questions about what was what etc. Very reassuring! Are you going soon then? You will get so much relief from it, we walked out on clouds after, we just couldn't believe it was real and all okay!

Oh I'd say the reassurance is unreal. I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but I just really really hope everything is ok. I've experienced the 'bad news scan' before.

It will be July 21st! Hoping it comes quick! Will just have to keep busy. :p

the wait for the first scan is a killer! fingers crossed for you dreamstar x.

It's mad that potentially as early as 5-6 weeks, technology allows us to not only confirm a pregnancy is going well but to accurately measure gestation and heartrate.

I was talking to my mother and she said that back in the 70's pregnancy tests as we know them didn't exist. Pregnancy testing was in it's infancy and involved sending a sample to a lab and waiting for the results. She never did a pregnancy test in her life. :pac:

This is an interesting history of HPT's.

Neyite wrote:
    I was talking to my mother and she said that back in the 70's pregnancy tests as we know them didn't exist. Pregnancy testing was in it's infancy and involved sending a sample to a lab and waiting for the results. She never did a pregnancy test in her life.

Gosh I'd never cope with that waiting! I'm impatient enough the way things are! It is mad what they can do now. Especially with IVF etc. Like when you stop and think - it's AMAZING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gra4

Hi,
    Never posted before
    We have been TTC for almost 7 years, we have started fertility treatments and today I had a HSG test,
    I was told that the test would take 15 mins but it took almost 2 hours lying on my back (sorry for TMI) with speculum, catheters etc inside me,
    I had a registrar then a consultant try to insert the dye into my tubes, eventually after nearly 2 hours the consultant called time on the procedure,
    They said they could not get my right tube to open to insert the dye, consultant explained he pushed as far as he could if he pushed anymore he may do damage to my tube,
    It was uncomfortable and I experienced alot of cramping but I have a good pain threshold so I just told them to carry on,
    They also had to put me on a course of antibiotics as they had to use alot of different instruments etc so my risk of developing infection is high,
    Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Well as expected Auntie Flow came to visit us last night. We knew she was coming so are all cried out already. Think we'll head off somewhere for the weekend, may as well enjoy the freedom.

Well thats it for us. I am checking out, 3 times, 3 absolute failures, 3 massive heart brakes. I cannot put myself through this again, the pain is too much. I DON'T care about the people who did it 3 times then it worked on the 4th or those who tried 10 times & it worked on the 11th. I am not paying a fortune to adopt and waiting around another 5+years. I have to accept a life without kids. I know there will always be a bit of pain when I see families or a cute kid, but C'est la vie!

Sorry to bring everyone down & I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck. I`ll probably still lurk here from time to time.

Next time you here from me will be in the prison form, cause I am going to punch my mother in law when she says "well it could be worse"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

fits wrote: »
    Few days before we were due to start I had a positive pregnancy test and am expecting twins. All a bit miraculous. Am 12w4d now and all ok so far.
    In shock - got my BFP this morning! What the hell!!!!! I'm so happy / nervous / excited / scared.

Aw fits and DS, I am so happy for you both, it is fantastic news. Trilled :D
    My IVF cycle was cancelled yesterday.

Aw pet I am so sorry, that is just horrendous news to get. Its my fear as well if we go for IVF that this will happen as I dont respond to the medication very well. How many days were you on the injections if you dont mind me asking?
    LCD wrote: »
    Well as expected Auntie Flow came to visit us last night. We knew she was coming so are all cried out already. Think we'll head off somewhere for the weekend, may as well enjoy the freedom.

Well thats it for us. I am checking out, 3 times, 3 absolute failures, 3 massive heart brakes. I cannot put myself through this again, the pain is too much. I DON'T care about the people who did it 3 times then it worked on the 4th or those who tried 10 times & it worked on the 11th. I am not paying a fortune to adopt and waiting around another 5+years. I have to accept a life without kids. I know there will always be a bit of pain when I see families or a cute kid, but C'est la vie!

Sorry to bring everyone down & I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck. I`ll probably still lurk here from time to time.

Next time you here from me will be in the prison form, cause I am going to punch my mother in law when she says "well it could be worse"

LCD I am very sorry to hear this. I completely understand giving up though, the heartbreak is just not worth it all. I am on the same page and some of my family dont understand why we wont keep going definitely, they don't get how devastating it is.

My mother is the same as your mother in law, she thinks all of this isn't a big deal and tells me to just get on with it. But when my sister was pregnant she was crying for her because she was uncomfortable. Christ above it makes me so mad :mad:.

Gra4 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Never posted before
    We have been TTC for almost 7 years, we have started fertility treatments and today I had a HSG test,
    I was told that the test would take 15 mins but it took almost 2 hours lying on my back (sorry for TMI) with speculum, catheters etc inside me,
    I had a registrar then a consultant try to insert the dye into my tubes, eventually after nearly 2 hours the consultant called time on the procedure,
    They said they could not get my right tube to open to insert the dye, consultant explained he pushed as far as he could if he pushed anymore he may do damage to my tube,
    It was uncomfortable and I experienced alot of cramping but I have a good pain threshold so I just told them to carry on,
    They also had to put me on a course of antibiotics as they had to use alot of different instruments etc so my risk of developing infection is high,
    Has anyone else experienced this?

Nothing is TMI in this forum;) I've had two HSG's. But my tubes were clear of obstruction so it was painful but quick. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has blocked tube issues and who can help you.

I'm sorry to hear that LCD. But I know what you mean when you get to a point where it makes more sense to stop than continue. It's heartbreaking but this TTC game is like a gambling addiction at times isn't it - the feeling that the next big bet with your life savings just might be the jackpot. It's easy to get sucked into it more and more. Getting away will do you good and not just getting away from your MIL. I'm sure she means well (don't they all!)but we've all been the recipient of breathtakingly stupid sound-bites over the years from people who have no idea what it's like.

lashes34 wrote: »
    Aw pet I am so sorry, that is just horrendous news to get. Its my fear as well if we go for IVF that this will happen as I dont respond to the medication very well. How many days were you on the injections if you dont mind me asking?

Lashes, you might find it interesting to hear that GFC told us we could do as many OI rounds as we like (well, within reason of course) I thought we'd have 4-6 and then they'd tell us that our next step is IVF but not so. She explained that as my follicles seem to be responding well to the medications and I eventually get pregnant from time to time (I had a chemical last cycle, and have had a few natural but short lived conceptions in the last few years) She did say that if we did IVF they would get more information about egg and embryo quality which might help us but that we could do some more OI rounds until such a time as we want to move on to IVF. They have patients who have been on OI cycles for ages.

LCD I am so so sorry this did not work out for you. And sorry about MiL, I think it can be hard for people to understand who arent in this situation. Look after yourselves xxx

Lashes, you might find it interesting to hear that GFC told us we could do as many OI rounds as we like (well, within reason of course) I thought we'd have 4-6 and then they'd tell us that our next step is IVF but not so. She explained that as my follicles seem to be responding well to the medications and I eventually get pregnant from time to time (I had a chemical last cycle, and have had a few natural but short lived conceptions in the last few years) She did say that if we did IVF they would get more information about egg and embryo quality which might help us but that we could do some more OI rounds until such a time as we want to move on to IVF. They have patients who have been on OI cycles for ages.

Thanks Neyite. We cant do anymore OI cycles as my hubbys results aren't good, which they didn't pick up on before. Said no point doing anymore. He has to go back for repeat SA and they will try to prep it for IUI to see if thats an option.

Ah that's sh!te lashes. Was his results always poor or is this recent?

I know of one case where himself had been quite ill with unrelated stuff but it really affected the SA results. He got an operation and sorted the health issue and a few months after that the next SA results shocked everyone in a good way. They were heading towards ICSI until the second test showed they no longer needed to and did regular IVF instead.

Get him on Zinc and Selenium if he's not already on them. I'm loading up on the vitamins myself. My theory is that they cant harm me.

Ah that's sh!te lashes. Was his results always poor or is this recent?

I know of one case where himself had been quite ill with unrelated stuff but it really affected the SA results. He got an operation and sorted the health issue and a few months after that the next SA results shocked everyone in a good way. They were heading towards ICSI until the second test showed they no longer needed to and did regular IVF instead.

Get him on Zinc and Selenium if he's not already on them. I'm loading up on the vitamins myself. My theory is that they cant harm me.

Last result was fine, because his count is fine and they didnt check for mprphology (1%). We should never have done OI at all based on these results. Will check what is included in his multi-vitamin. Consultant also recommended Co-Enzyme Q10. Thanks

LCD I don't know what to say. I'm so so sorry.
    XxX

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm so sorry to hear that Fingers, it really is a tough one x

Dreamstar, WOW, that is amazing news, huge congratulations to you xx

Gra, sounds like you had a bad time with it, mine took 1/2 hour or maybe a bit more, found it very uncomfortable and had cramps but that was it. That's all I can add sorry.

I'm so so sorry to hear that LCD, thinking of you both.

I had my scan this morning, everything is quiet, finished the pill yesterday and started on Testim Gel for 5 days. Starting Purgeon and Menopur on Saturday with a scan next Thursday. I'm slightly freaking out but need to stay positive.

I've read about DHEA and CoQ10, should I start taking them do you think? Or has anyone any recomendations that are on them really? I'll phone the clinic and see anyway but I'd like to hear from any of you that are on them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I am so very sorry for your losses.

Take care and do whatever the hell you feel you need to do to get through this, including telling your MIL to go f**k herself.

I wish I had something better to say.

x

Advertisement