Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What are the prices there abouts?? IVF is done in Galway too isn't it? I'm guessing the €4500 is ex tests etc?

Here you go. Its a couple of years old, but the prices will give you a rough guide as to how the clinics vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Aw thanks a million guys, I know I haven't been told yet that I need IVF but it's no harm to know costs now and start saving for it just incase, keeping my fingers crossed for 2014 and hoping it happens... the cost isn't too bad I suppose considering some of it is spread out, it's not forking out €6000 all in one go, I know it'll still require a loan, aw I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

pwurple wrote: »
    If they are waiting 4 years, they must have had their intercountry approval pre hague.... Which actually means they are extremely lucky. Anyone starting now is in a much much worse position. Afaik There are about 700 couples fully approved for foreign adoption in ireland at the moment... With about 20-40 a year getting a baby.

I know it's awful isn't it? And out of that 20-40 the majority of those are pre-Hague approved couples...

I looked into this in a bit of detail recently, and in 2012 there were 117 inter-country adoptions took place to irish couples. But 91 of those were to pre-Hague approved couples (the children came from Russia, India, Ethiopia). Those countries aren't allowed to send children to Ireland anymore for adoption by post-2010 approved irish couples.

So out of the countries that actually can send children to irish couples now there's literally only a trickle coming through. Like in 2012 there was 1 child came from China, 1 from Mexico, 2 from Thailand etc. China have now said there's a 7 year waiting list for a child, the Phillipines have said they're not accepting any new applications from irish couples til they get their own domestic waiting lists down....and so on.

Also if you're going down that road you need to be prepared to take on a child that is a few years old already, possibly has special needs and has been institutionalised. Not an easy road to go down.

God it sounds so tough, so much pressure already... what about adopting Irish children?

The RTE programme on Monday evening is a must watch, it's about couples going to india I think for surogacy, wonder are many Irish couples taking this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Don't let it bog you down . We put a little away as often as we could . No holidays since we got married and sacrificed other bits and pieces . We always hoped we'd get pregnant naturally and could use the money for the baby . wasn't to be so here we are about to start!

• Advertisement

bobskii wrote: »
    Don't let it bog you down . We put a little away as often as we could . No holidays since we got married and sacrificed other buts and pieces . We always hoped we'd get pregnant naturally and could use the money for the baby . wasn't to be so here we are about to start!

Are you starting IVF?

Yes in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

God it sounds so tough, so much pressure already... what about adopting Irish children?

Domestic adoptions that aren't by a family member in Ireland are rare.
    I suppose nowdays in Ireland in the vast majority of cases people either keep their chlidren from unplanned pregnancies or they take the boat. Changed soceity from when the Magdalene laundries and the like were churning out the babies for adoption. Not that that's a bad thing.

bobskii wrote: »
    Yes in February.

Very best of luck with it, keeping me fingers crossed for you. You doing it in Ireland?

Lucuma wrote: »
    Domestic adoptions that aren't by a family member in Ireland are rare.
    I suppose nowdays in Ireland in the vast majority of cases people either keep their chlidren from unplanned pregnancies or they take the boat. Changed soceity from when the Magdalene laundries and the like were churning out the babies for adoption. Not that that's a bad thing.

Definitely not a bad thing, thankfully women aren't afraid like they used to be... suppose it is a pity domestic adoption is rare though, there are alot of loving families out there, one of my good friends was adopted and she loves her life

• Advertisement

Thanks Hollywood . Yeh were attending the hari.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi folks,
    I have just cleaned up this thread and the posts in relation to surrogacy in the news at the moment.
    We are not opposed to surrogacy being talked about but this is not the place to criticize anyone desperate for a baby.

Thanks Moonbean, think that was a good idea, have lots going on at the moment regarding tests which is quite overwhelming without comments like that, I'm sure lots others are the same, I love coming on here and chatting with people a similar situation to myself, makes things alot easier x

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Best of luck Bobski! I am looking into ivf at the moment and i need to find the cheapest so i will have the option to go more than once as i couldn' t face it if it didn't work and we'd no money left! I have emailed the gennet clinic in prague but that will def be my last option. Do u mind telling me the total cost of absolutely everything as the price list can be a bit confusing. Also do u mind telling me if u will freeze the fertilised eggs? If so how much will it cost and how much would the implantation cost? So sorry about all the questions but when i rang the beacon with those ques the woman couldn't give me a straight ans. I wish u nothing but the best for the next few weeks.....keep us updated, you've so many people rooting for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Penny loves i've recently gone through ivf with the merrion clinic so can give you up to date costs from there if it's helpful. There were definitely some I didn't expect.

Tests: 180. Your amh, most recent ultrasound and semen analysis must be dated within 1 year of the start date of the cycle. Our SA and Amh were 6 weeks out so had to be redone.
    Drugs: 144 assuming you have the DPS card sorted in time
    Nurses: 140. if it's your first ivf you have to have a consultation with the nurse to learn how to do the drugs
    IVF: 4600(icsi is extra but we didnt have that)
    Blast: if you go to blast it's an extra 600
    Storage: 300 to freeze any you have left

It's about 1000 euro plus 144 for meds for each frozen cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Thank you so much for all the info. You mentioned extra money for the blast, the woman in the beacon was talking about extra money for better incubation, is that what the blast means? How did u find the merrion?

I was really happy with the merrion, my consultant was great and I found all the nurses and embryologists really good.

Blast is blastocyst, it's when you have a day 5 embryo transferred rather than day 3. It has higher success rates but isn't always possible. The merrion don't charge extra for the incubation but they told me they have the same new technology that the beacon has.

Thanks Pennyloves!
    I'll give you the exact price and breakdown of what i'm having done,and if you've any extras that you think you are goning to have i can give you the price,i have the list here in front of me.

Ivf-4400
    Blastocycle-700
    Embryo Freeze(incl 1st years storage)-500
    Endometrial Scratch-175
    "2 x EU Blood tests-150

They recommended i have the endometrial scratch to improve the chances of implantation.we were told we need the two blood tests done,something to do with eu regulations!

Oh and the Frozen embryo transfer is 1000,i don't know if we will freeze eggs long term,if we manage to have one baby we will be more than happy with that but i'm not thinkin that far ahead yet!
    We have a medical card at the minute so were hoping that will pay for our meds,although it's going in for review at the minute so fingers crossed!

I forgot the two extra mandatory bloods, they are HIV and hepatitis if it's the same ones, the Male has to have them too. They're free in the Merrion.

yep the are the ones!
    My husband actually moaned about having to get them done,he's never had to give blood before,lucky he still has his head after his 'oh no ive to have a blood test' comment!:rolleyes:

Pity they aren't free in the hari!

• Advertisement

Mine was exactly the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

How much did that couple from Clare spend on the ivf in India?
    Seem to be some couples from Ireland going there.

one blood test and you would swear they were gonna stick the needle in his eye!!Such babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Thanks for all the information on pricing ladies. I always find the prices on the websites confusing. We're not at that stage yet, but it's good to have an idea of the costs because it's definitely sonething that we would have to save for.

Best of luck bobskii on your upcoming round of ivf! Hope it all goes well for you.

I'm going for a HSG tomorrow, other half is having SA tomorrow also - kind of dreading the HSG not too sure why I'm sure it can't be that bad. Have a consultation then with dr on Feb 10th, by then I'll have the above tests done, AMG done and blood tests without Chlomid so hopefully I'll get some answers on the 10th, I'll be one step further I suppose, fingers crossed all is ok and there is hope.

Good Luck with the ivf ladies, hope it all goes really well for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Good luck with the HSG - I had one and found it totally fine, maybe a mild cramping sensation during it but I was perfect once it was over. I've heard a couple of people say they found it sore but I get bad period pains and it was nothing to that! Also it only lasts a minute. You can take a couple of painkillers 30 mins before you go in just in case if you like, but I think the key is to be relaxed. Good luck with it!

Thanks a million contrary_mary, needed to hear that! Be so glad when it's over! Will bring some nurofen with me and take them 30 mins before

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Thanks a million contrary_mary, needed to hear that! Be so glad when it's over! Will bring some nurofen with me and take them 30 mins before

It'll be over before you know it.

Guys I'm just wondering do you need to refrain from intercourse for a few days prior to having semen analysis carried out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Guys I'm just wondering do you need to refrain from intercourse for a few days prior to having semen analysis carried out?

Yup. 3 days is the recommended I think

Advertisement