Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hollywood, I'm really delighted for you. :) Been a long hard slog for you to get to this point so enjoy the loveliness of being pregnant.

A positive on this thread puts me in a great mood for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hollywood I have been checking this like a lunatic so delighted for you!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Wooooooohooooooooo!!! Fantasic news :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

absolutely delighted for your Hollywood !was also checking like a lunatic all weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Thanks so much ladies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Fantabulous news Hollwood, after more than 7 years you must be on cloud 9! Hope the dreaded 12 week wait flies by for you.

Thanks Lucuma, me too. God this waiting is never ending is it. Really looking forward to the scan on the 18th so I'm not counting down another 2 weeks! Another 2WW :D The nurse said we should be able to hear a heartbeat in that scan, that will be so amazing, I really can't wait. I've taken the day off work so I can relax and go for a nice lunch with OH after. So looking forward to that day.

Coming down with a head cold unfortunately. Lots of honey and lemon today and hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow. So so tired too :sleeping:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Thanks Lucuma, me too. God this waiting is never ending is it. Really looking forward to the scan on the 18th so I'm not counting down another 2 weeks! Another 2WW :D The nurse said we should be able to hear a heartbeat in that scan, that will be so amazing, I really can't wait. I've taken the day off work so I can relax and go for a nice lunch with OH after. So looking forward to that day.

Coming down with a head cold unfortunately. Lots of honey and lemon today and hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow. So so tired too :sleeping:

Tis all a waiting game!!

I went from pregnancy test to 6 week scan, to 8 week scan, to 12 week scan to....

Every stage brings new joys and new worries, but it is a remarkable journey and I hope you can relax enough to enjoy it. I kept a note of each appointment, which is nice to look back on now.

One thing I discovered(for me anyway) was that the IVF process does prime us a bit for disappointment and bad news so it is hard to accept that things might actually work out ok. Try to trust that it can all work out though. x

Brokensoul, I'll be having a 7 week scan, is it the norm to have them every 2 weeks or were you an exception?

I am quite relaxed, not too worried at the moment which is great. I just keep telling myself I'm pregnant and that puts a huge smile on my face because I still can't quite believe it has happened :), I'm keeping positive! The IVF process totally primes us. I've never gotten this far before so I am just overjoyed, no time for worrying! Can't wait for the scan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

The wait for the first scan really drags! Although I didn't go through IVF. I had weekly scans from weeks 7-12 under private care. They didn't spot that it was twins on first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I had weekly scans between 6 and 20 weeks. Mainly due to the amount of bleeding I had. I had a scan in Galway at 6 weeks due to a previous ectopic, so purely just to make sure the baby was in the correct place. I was called back at 7 weeks as the 6 week one had 2 sacs. After 7 weeks I was discharged from Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Farmerstatia

Congratulations hollywood so delighted for you xxxxx
    So I done the test on Saturday morning, 2 of them actually and much to my shock and disbelief, I am pregnant! Really can't believe it. After 7 years and 3 months it has finally happened. Completely overjoyed!

Fingersandtoes, very glad to hear things are moving along for you, wishing you the very best of luck xx

Farmerstatia, I get you with the tiredness, I'm completely wrecked, taking naps everyday, not like me at all!!! Fingers crossed for you too xx

Good.morning everyone...hope everyone is doing good..
    so rang gfc yesterday.. we are going on to our 3rd cylce of ti .. but my oh has mild anxiety and takes meda for it ... so with the pressure of ti for them three four days my oh actually cant ejac..
    so now due to that we now are starting iui...wats are other peoples experiences or wat happens i know i sound dumb but im honestly havent a clue...any advice will be greatly appreciated xx

Oh ok Fits, I'm sure we could do the same then. I'll actually only be 6weeks 5 days when I go for the scan so they might not see if its twins either!! If I've to wait until 12 weeks for the second that will be such a hard wait :ermm:.

Thanks Lucyfur

Farmer, I've no experience with IUI but the very best of luck with it, I hope it all goes as planned x

I'm at work today but already thinking about going home, I've dosed with a head cold and really don't feel too good. I'm only here an hour and I'm suffering, not sure I can keep going for another 7 hours :pouty:. Anyone recommend any natural remedies to get rid of this? I had 2 cups of honey and lemon last night. Maybe I should just be in bed

so rang gfc yesterday.. we are going on to our 3rd cylce of ti .. but my oh has mild anxiety and takes meda for it ... so with the pressure of ti for them three four days my oh actually cant ejac..
    so now due to that we now are starting iui...wats are other peoples experiences or wat happens i know i sound dumb but im honestly havent a clue...any advice will be greatly appreciated xx

I've only done the TSI, but giving a SA sample can be very nerve wracking for blokes. If you could stay in a nearby hotel or B&B the night before the appointment, it might be easier away from a clinical setting to give the sample, but you'd have a very small window of time to get it to the lab - I think about an hour or so?

I know its tricky and daunting for blokes but they really do get off lightly compared to the women who have take the hormones and climb into stirrups to get poked and prodded intimately, and its asking him to do something that most men including him, do on a regular basis happily since their schoolboy days. So he needs to get his head in the zone, shut his eyes and use his imagination because though Assisted is a tough process, he really does have the easy part in it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm at work today but already thinking about going home, I've dosed with a head cold and really don't feel too good. I'm only here an hour and I'm suffering, not sure I can keep going for another 7 hours :pouty:. Anyone recommend any natural remedies to get rid of this? I had 2 cups of honey and lemon last night. Maybe I should just be in bed

You can take some paracetemol probably as well. But maybe bed is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Don't put yourself down - you're not dumb!! We all learn as we go along.
    I have been through 2 rounds of IUI recently and this is what I had to do. Bear in mind, medication may vary from clinic to clinic. I went for a scan within a few days of my period being due to check that there were no cysts on the ovaries. If there is, the cycle may not go ahead. And when all okay, on Day 2 of cycle, I started taking injections of Puregon. Not as scary as it sounds! It was a pen with a tiny needle that goes into your tummy. Once you do it a few times, it's no big deal. I took this daily and went for a scan on day 9. They tracked the follicle(s) and tweaked my medication. went back for another scan on day 12 and I was given a shot of Pregnyl to trigger ovulation. IUI was the scheduled for the next day.
    IUI itself is so straight forward. Your cervix is cleaned with a tiny swab (no more uncomfortable than a smear test). A very small catheter is then inserted with a purified sperm from your partner. And that's it! Allowed to go home straight away. Test after 16 days I think. Takes a while for Pregnyl to go out of your system.
    Look after you OH. It's alot of pressure on them. Mine struggled with producing samples on demand. It's tough to watch. Just be supportive and encouraging.

Neyite wrote: »
    I've only done the TSI, but giving a SA sample can be very nerve wracking for blokes. If you could stay in a nearby hotel or B&B the night before the appointment, it might be easier away from a clinical setting to give the sample, but you'd have a very small window of time to get it to the lab - I think about an hour or so?

I know its tricky and daunting for blokes but they really do get off lightly compared to the women who have take the hormones and climb into stirrups to get poked and prodded intimately, and its asking him to do something that most men including him, do on a regular basis happily since their schoolboy days. So he needs to get his head in the zone, shut his eyes and use his imagination because though Assisted is a tough process, he really does have the easy part in it all.

Hi neyite..
    thanks for the advice...its strange what he is going through he said he will be well able to go in the sample cup but when it comes to that block of time with tsi he gets a mental bloke and just cant fin...ive said to him like is it me or something cause thats wat it feels like but assuresme its not that.
    us ladies go through an awful lot each month thats for sure and i no his sperm is healthy and good so its hard and upsetting each month when af comes that my body has let us down yet again ...

ali_d wrote: »
    Don't put yourself down - you're not dumb!! We all learn as we go along.
    I have been through 2 rounds of IUI recently and this is what I had to do. Bear in mind, medication may vary from clinic to clinic. I went for a scan within a few days of my period being due to check that there were no cysts on the ovaries. If there is, the cycle may not go ahead. And when all okay, on Day 2 of cycle, I started taking injections of Puregon. Not as scary as it sounds! It was a pen with a tiny needle that goes into your tummy. Once you do it a few times, it's no big deal. I took this daily and went for a scan on day 9. They tracked the follicle(s) and tweaked my medication. went back for another scan on day 12 and I was given a shot of Pregnyl to trigger ovulation. IUI was the scheduled for the next day.
    IUI itself is so straight forward. Your cervix is cleaned with a tiny swab (no more uncomfortable than a smear test). A very small catheter is then inserted with a purified sperm from your partner. And that's it! Allowed to go home straight away. Test after 16 days I think. Takes a while for Pregnyl to go out of your system.
    Look after you OH. It's alot of pressure on them. Mine struggled with producing samples on demand. It's tough to watch. Just be supportive and encouraging.

Thank you for the run down on what to expect...ive been taking hormone injections both gonal f and ovitrelle so im not worried bout that just the rest of it!! I think cause its like unchartered water like everything when you do it for the first tome you havent a clue wat to expect...

Hi neyite..
    thanks for the advice...its strange what he is going through he said he will be well able to go in the sample cup but when it comes to that block of time with tsi he gets a mental bloke and just cant fin...ive said to him like is it me or something cause thats wat it feels like but assuresme its not that.
    us ladies go through an awful lot each month thats for sure and i no his sperm is healthy and good so its hard and upsetting each month when af comes that my body has let us down yet again ...

I think nearly every bloke who goes through Assisted has failed to finish at least once. Really, I'm sure he's telling you the absolute truth when he says its not you. It is the process that is daunting.:) And I know that in this game, you do have to be united as a solid team so its crap to pile on the disharmony if he cant perform, yet in the back of your mind you've paid all that money, done all the injecting, the dildocam scans, the clinic discussions and all he has to do is that little bit and nerves kick in... So its hard to find a way to talk about it in a way that would be helpful to him when so much depends on it.

No need to answer/discuss on thread but could I suggest that he puts a video of something that gets him going on his phone - (and brings earphones!) or even make a naughty clip yourselves that he can watch for his bit at the clinic? I know someone who would highly recommended the latter. It might help him detach from the surroundings of the clinic a bit better on the day he has to give his sample. .

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I think nearly every bloke who goes through Assisted has failed to finish at least once. Really, I'm sure he's telling you the absolute truth when he says its not you. It is the process that is daunting.:) And I know that in this game, you do have to be united as a solid team so its crap to pile on the disharmony if he cant perform, yet in the back of your mind you've paid all that money, done all the injecting, the dildocam scans, the clinic discussions and all he has to do is that little bit and nerves kick in... So its hard to find a way to talk about it in a way that would be helpful to him when so much depends on it.

No need to answer/discuss on thread but could I suggest that he puts a video of something that gets him going on his phone - (and brings earphones!) or even make a naughty clip yourselves that he can watch for his bit at the clinic? I know someone who would highly recommended the latter. It might help him detach from the surroundings of the clinic a bit better on the day he has to give his sample. .

Thanks neyite..
    He has no trouble with the sample at all !!! Men are strange creatures...we are united do which is the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

I had my scan at 7am by my consultant. I still only have one folicile. I wasn't devestated as I wasn't expecting a second. He was very honest and drew various diagrams to explain. So it's IUI on Monday. According to him I've a 17% chance so hopefully. My AMH was tested in January 2016 and was 0.2%. I got it tested again last week. It's now 0.54%. This has risen as a direct result of the DHEA and CO Q 10. He was delighted with this increase. I know it's only a small increase. At least it's going up. At an educated guess like all the nurses I've seen he thinks my AMH was as low as 1 when I conceived three years ago naturally. He said it's been slowly coming down and wouldn't have decreased rapidly in three years. We've done TSI and that wasn't successful. Like others have said us females do most of the horrible stuff for ttc but it can be hard on males. I know my husband hates watching me give myself the injections as he knows I find them sore.

Thinking of u fingersandtoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Has anyone taking progesterone and baby aspirin had any funny side effects? I've developed restless legs recently and it's driving me insane. The only thing that has changed that I con put my finger on is starting these meds. I'm hoping it's down to this and it'll go away once I stop taking them :( thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashsul

Hi all
    I'm a first time poster! We found out recently that we have to go down the ivf/icsi route. At the time the doc told us I was very shocked because up that point we had been preparing ourselves for iui. Ivf had not been mentioned. Since I've been told I can't get it out if my head and want to go straight away to start the process but I know that's not how it works!!!
    I've been reading a lot of your stories and they have helped me be positive because even when you have had a bad day or didn't get the results you have wanted you have all kept positive and continued to do what even was needed. I hope I can be as strong as you all. It's good to see I'm not the only one as some times it can feel like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hi Ashul we will also be starting ivf hopefully in October. We are going straight to ivf too so hard to know what to expect. I have endometriosis so it's hoped off will help bypass this issue. It's daunting but I'm excited to get started too and hopefully have a baby at the end will make it all worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Thanks Farmerstatia.
    Ashul we are all in the same boat. None of us think we will need help trying to conceive. It's totally unknown territory to all of us.

So ended up spending quite a few days in bed with this cold. Just back to normal today and back at work. Feeling a bit weak today and queasy but hope to be in top form tomorrow ;).

The first time is hard Farmerstatia, there is no doubt about it but you'll get tere in the end, you just have to take it in your stride and take each bit as it comes, that what I did and here I am pregnant, fingers crossed this will work out for you too. I feel for your OH, it has to be tough for them too. Hopefully he can figure something out to get him through it.

Fingersandtoes, that is amazing that your AMH has risen, great news. My OH had to walk away when I gave myself the injections, he couldn't look at all, hes really not good with them.

Hopeful2016, I'm on Crinone progesterone, bloated and tired is all I can say I am from it. Oh I feel for you with the restless leg thing, my mother suffers from that and it really drives her insane, really hope it passes for you.

Ashsul, IVF is very daunting, I remember wanting to run out the door and cry when my consultant told me that was what we needed. It's so very hard. It took me a while to come to terms with it but I did. Unfortunately the first round didn't work for me but here I am 5 weeks pregnant from the second round. You just need to keep your chin up, I know, very hard thing to do too. Of course you'll be strong, you will have moments of weakness, we all do but you'll come to terms with it and you'll, like us, do what has to be done xx

Best of luck with your upcoming cycle Geez x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Just a quick question. I hope you guys don't mind. Had my AMH levels tested a while ago and got a phonecall yesterday to say that my levels are below average for my age (32). She just said I was coming in at 5 when it should be 15, but reading up on it now, I don't know what units she was talking about? In the chart they gave me, it says women 30-34 should be 6.8pmol/L, median is 19.7? Really panicking now as I was putting off even thinking about it to 35, but she said I wouldn't be wise to push it anywhere near 40! Does anyone know what these units mean?

• Advertisement

Sorry OldNotWise, I'm not too sure how to read the levels. I had mine tested when I was 28 and I got 4.5, which I was told was very low for my age. Not sure what the figure is now. I was 7 years trying but have other issues too. I'm not just over 5 weeks pregnant with IVF.

Advertisement