Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Thanks green will def say it to them. Was suposed to have the appointment a few weeks ago and it was changed and didn't really think aboyt this. Will tell them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Mrs Bilbot got bad news today after egg retrieval. none of them are mature and are unlikely to fertilise. cant console her...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

give her a couple of days to come to terms with the news.in the meantime gather as much info as you can about improving egg quality and when she's feeling a bit better share the info with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Mrs Bilbot got bad news today after egg retrieval. none of them are mature and are unlikely to fertilise. cant console her...:(

Oh I'm so sorry - that's devastating for you both. She will probably need to get herself through this before you can help. Give her space if she needs it / a hug if she needs it. Practical things like cooking always help. She will let you know when she's ready to talk.
    And if there is anyone you can talk to about it do. I know it must be so so hard for you also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I haven't posted on this thread before (been posting in the trying to conceive 2016 one) but I've had a st*tty few days and have no one to talk to except my husband. Been doing Ovulation Induction with clomid for the last few month because I have PCOS. It worked the first 2 months (got one follicle) but didn't work at all the third month so they increased my clomid dosage to 50mg. Had my scan on Friday and there were at least 10 follicles so cycle cancelled now I have a week of Orgalutran injections so I don't ovulate. On the plus side I know I'd make a crap drug addict now but injecting myself is such a weird thing to do!

Back to 25mg of Clomid again next month to see if that works.

I nearly forgot, what should I do with the empty syringes now? I obviously can't throw them in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sorry your cycle was cancelled Bee.

I put my syringes in a screw top bottle, then dumped that. I think some chemists or GPs will dispose of them for you too. Certainly if you bring them back to the clinic they'll be happy to dump them safely for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My doctor empties my sharps box for me :)

Thanks Neyite and Lucyfur! Yeah, taking them back to the clinic is the way to go I think. I'd be paranoid about putting them in the wheelie bin in case it got knocked over (which has happened before).

I didn't get a sharps box because this is a one off (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

A much awaited period came on Sunday. Never thought I'd say that! I had a scan and blood tests on Tuesday. My scan was ok. My FSH was 3.7 which I was very excited about only to be told my estrogen was 591 which is way to high. I got the blood tests repeated yesterday. There were hoping my estrogen would come down. No such luck. It went up to 630 and my FSH was 3.3.
    So another month out. I'm gutted. I feel it's a few months wasted. Has anyone any experience of their estrogen being high?

Two of my good friends asked me last week am I planning a second child. I just said please God. I'm not ready to tell many people as I don't want questions. Hope all of you are well.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sooo, I think I might be graduating over to this thread seeing as we're now trying for over a year. I went to the GP to get tested for PCOS, had bloods done (yuck) and got some results today. Most of my hormones were within 'normal' ranges, except for my testosterone, which was 1.8 and my thyroid something-or-other was borderline high also. My GP said that she feels even though a diagnosis of PCOS isn't 100% confirmed, I've got enough (most) of the symptoms for her to be happy to start treating it, so she's started me on metformin - 500mg daily for one week, then up to 1000mg daily for the second week, then finally to 1500mg. She wants to wean me on to try and minimise side effects like nausea and stomach problems.

She also went through my food tracker (fitness pal) and showed me where I need to be cutting down on carbs. Apparently overall my diet is good, and with my calorie intake and exercise I should be losing weight, but I'm not, so she's hoping with a carb reduction and starting the metformin, it should get back on track. I've still to get a pelvic ultrasound, and have been referred to my local hospital but the wait is about 8 weeks. Going to see if I can get one done privately in the meantime if it's not too dear. And I've to get my thyroid checked again in 4 months because she wants to make sure that the level of whatever-it-is is lowering - that means more bloods! Hurrah! :o

So feeling a bit of a mix of emotions at the mo, on the one hand cautiously optimistic about starting the metformin, but on the other hand I'm terrified that it won't work. Also terrified at the prospect of more blood tests. I'd take dildo cam till the cows came home instead of a blood test :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Toots wrote: »
    Sooo, I think I might be graduating over to this thread seeing as we're now trying for over a year. I went to the GP to get tested for PCOS, had bloods done (yuck) and got some results today. Most of my hormones were within 'normal' ranges, except for my testosterone, which was 1.8 and my thyroid something-or-other was borderline high also. My GP said that she feels even though a diagnosis of PCOS isn't 100% confirmed, I've got enough (most) of the symptoms for her to be happy to start treating it, so she's started me on metformin - 500mg daily for one week, then up to 1000mg daily for the second week, then finally to 1500mg. She wants to wean me on to try and minimise side effects like nausea and stomach problems.

She also went through my food tracker (fitness pal) and showed me where I need to be cutting down on carbs. Apparently overall my diet is good, and with my calorie intake and exercise I should be losing weight, but I'm not, so she's hoping with a carb reduction and starting the metformin, it should get back on track. I've still to get a pelvic ultrasound, and have been referred to my local hospital but the wait is about 8 weeks. Going to see if I can get one done privately in the meantime if it's not too dear. And I've to get my thyroid checked again in 4 months because she wants to make sure that the level of whatever-it-is is lowering - that means more bloods! Hurrah! :o

So feeling a bit of a mix of emotions at the mo, on the one hand cautiously optimistic about starting the metformin, but on the other hand I'm terrified that it won't work. Also terrified at the prospect of more blood tests. I'd take dildo cam till the cows came home instead of a blood test :pac:

Hi Toots,
    I was similar, I had PCO not PCOS, so I got some cysts but didn't have the full syndrome. I was eased on to metforim also. I tried to take it with food in the morning and evening to start of with on similar doses to what you mentioned above. It really helped with my weight. wish you the best of luck darling x

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks stickybean! Yes I'm to take it with meals, breakfast first week and then breakfast and dinner, then all meals. Took the first one this morning and so far so good. Got a weird heavy/full feeling but other than that all good.

Hope you're doing great, you must be nearly there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks stickybean! Yes I'm to take it with meals, breakfast first week and then breakfast and dinner, then all meals. Took the first one this morning and so far so good. Got a weird heavy/full feeling but other than that all good.

Hope you're doing great, you must be nearly there now?

I definitely found I was eating less and feeling full for longer.

Just less than 8 weeks for me, it has flown in

stickybean wrote:
    Just less than 8 weeks for me, it has flown in

Omg! That was a fast few months! Hope you're keeping well.

Welcome to the PCOS "club" Toots. When I was diagnosed I felt a similar mix of emotions. I was happy I knew what was "wrong" with me but like you, worried the threatment wouldn't work.

I'd be lying if I said the last 5 months haven't been hard. I'm doing monitored Clomid cycles. I reacted the way I was supposed to the first two cycles but nothing happened the third cycle and it worked too well on the fourth. I had a scan on Friday and I have two cysts so I'm now taking the pill for a few weeks to try and kill the cysts. Very counter intuitive to have to take the pill when all you want is to get pregnant.

From what I've been told by doctors, PCOS is tricky because you can do the exact same thing every month but get different results.

I think if I even started having regular periods I'd be so much less stressed because at least 'something' was happening. Myself and the hubby had a chat and we've decided to use condoms until after Christmas in the hopes that it'll give my body the best chance to get used to the medicine and hopefully I'll get a couple of periods. In a way it feels like a step back, but I was nervous that if I got pregnant now by some fluke, if my system so out of whack, that my body couldn't sustain a pregnancy.

On the plus side, so far I haven't had too many side effects from the metformin apart from a very bad stomach upset on the first night. And on the very plus side, I've lost 2.9kg since Thursday, so I'm definitely happy about that!!

With the Clomid, is that something that you can get from your GP or is it only from a gynecologist or fertility clinic?

Wow, 2.9kg! That's brilliant.

I'm taking the Clomid as part of Ovulation induction with Cork Fertility centre. I have read on other forums that women have been perscribed Clomid by their GP and they aren't getting scans or anything but this makes no sense to me because I don't understand how they know it's working or whether it's working too well. In my last cycle I had at least 10 follicles develop. If I ovulated that month I could have ended up with multiples ... as much as I want a baby the thought of quadruplets or more is terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

bee06 wrote: »
    Wow, 2.9kg! . If I ovulated that month I could have ended up with multiples ... as much as I want a baby the thought of quadruplets or more is terrifying.

Even triplets would be a huge thing and very worrying imo.. Much as I'm delighted to be pregnant with twins, the pregnancy is tough going.

fits wrote: »
    Even triplets would be a huge thing and very worrying imo.. Much as I'm delighted to be pregnant with twins, the pregnancy is tough going.

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't checked in for a while now. xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dkgirl

Hi,
    I hope some can give me information here. Ive an appointment with Fertility Clinic, it requests to have FSH, LH, AMH bloods done by my own GP, which I have booked.
    I am wondering does it matter what stage I am through my cycle when I have these bloods. I will be expecting AF the following week.
    Many thanks

AMH can be done anytime in your cycle. FSH and LH need to be done at day 3 and 7 days after you ovulate (day 21 if you have a 28 day cycle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

FSH and LH shoudl be done on day 3 as bee06 said.
    AMH can be done at any stage.
    It's progesterone bloods that should be measured on 'day 21' or 7 days post ovulation. You haven't mentioned progesterone bloods though

I just got my letter from the hospital today for my pelvic ultrasound appointment to detect PCOS. The thing is it says transabdominal, and I was pretty sure it was going to be transvaginal. Will it make a difference? I don't want to go down and have them not be able to see what they need to and have to come back another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would think transvaginal would be more effective too. When my ovaries were examined they used the dildo cam.

I just got my letter from the hospital today for my pelvic ultrasound appointment to detect PCOS. The thing is it says transabdominal, and I was pretty sure it was going to be transvaginal. Will it make a difference? I don't want to go down and have them not be able to see what they need to and have to come back another day.

I think they might be able to switch during the scan to a TV if the TA isnt showing them what they need. I vaguely remember that happening on one of my scans but I've had so many I cant remember exactly why they switched wands.

Thanks guys, I figured TV would be better, I know when I was pregnant on my son and had to have an early scan they had to use TV up until about 8 weeks because of whatever way he was positioned in there. I carry a bit of weight on my tummy so I'm just worried that I'll go in and they'll not be able to see anything. I'd be a bit nervous about being on my own for a TV, so not sure if I'll need to ask my husband to come in with me. Sigh.

Wondering should I have just forked out the €150 to go and get it done in one of those scan centres, but then it's an extra expense coming up to xmas.

Thanks guys, I figured TV would be better, I know when I was pregnant on my son and had to have an early scan they had to use TV up until about 8 weeks because of whatever way he was positioned in there. I carry a bit of weight on my tummy so I'm just worried that I'll go in and they'll not be able to see anything. I'd be a bit nervous about being on my own for a TV, so not sure if I'll need to ask my husband to come in with me. Sigh.

Wondering should I have just forked out the €150 to go and get it done in one of those scan centres, but then it's an extra expense coming up to xmas.

Could you ring them up to find out maybe?

Neyite wrote: »
    Could you ring them up to find out maybe?

I gave them a ring and they just said I needed to check what my GP asked for, so I rang her and she said she'd sent the referral saying that it was to check for PCOS but not to worry because the TA would most likely show up as much as the TV but is less invasive.

Honestly though, I'd prefer to just deal with dildocam and get more accurate results. If I have to get the TA and then go back for a TV I'm gonna be pissed :(

• Advertisement

Toots wrote:
    Honestly though, I'd prefer to just deal with dildocam and get more accurate results. If I have to get the TA and then go back for a TV I'm gonna be pissed

If it helps - any ultrasounds I went for to do with cysts etc all said they would be trans abdominal but they always ended up being trans vaginal. Go with a full bladder and if they can't see what they need ta they'll get you to wee and they'll do tv.
    I've had LOADS of these and they were all like this. Good luck Toots!

Advertisement