Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many children did you want to have and how many did you have

Options
  • 08-10-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

As the title says. My wife and I talked about this and i think 4 was the plan. But we left it quite late, we were both into our mid 30s before we had our first child due to work and building our house.
    We have 2 children now, a girl (4) and a boy (16mths) and i just dont think we can financially have another child even though my wife says she would like another. Things are just so tight on the money front and i dont want us struggling any more than we are.

Our little man had really bad colic for the 1st few months and that was really hard .We both discussed the issue of pros and cons in having another child in very late 30s now and were both really on the fence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

My ex-wife just had one thing when it came to children and that was that she didn't just want one as she was an only child and she said it was quite lonely growing up. We had 2 girls and when our second girl was 3 years old she wanted to have another baby as she really wanted a son, in fact she desired a boy even more than I did but we had another daughter so we have 3 girls. In the fast lane towards 50 now and I think my baby making days are over.

The girls and I decided on 4. They want two each. I am 34 and they are 32 and 26. Currently we have one child (3) with one on the way (just past the 14ish week mark now, yay). So I guess I am heading towards old age but the youngest has 8 years on me so not too late for her yet.

I can not imagine having more than 4 though. I think it would be overwhelming. I have no end of respect for those who have 6, 8 or even more and manage to do so without any noticable loss of sanity or health. I fully intend to get anything and everything snipped and/or tied in a not with relation to having no more after 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just one and our hearts break that we cant have another. Specially reading how lonely it can be being an only child.

We tried Iui and Ivf but had no joy. We decided to stop as it was so tough mentally and you got to live for the now.

Little fella told us he was lonely the other day because there was no children to play with around..heartbreaking after all we have been through.

Gptta focus on how lucky we are to have him. We did want 4 at one stage. Funny how things turn out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I never wanted any, but now have a beautiful daughter :D
    I would be happy not to have any more, but I would like her to have a sibling. However we really cannot afford another child right now, and I'm 35 so if we were to have another one it would need to be in the next year (if we would be lucky enough to be able to conceive again). I don't want to have a child in my late 30s (just a personal preference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Never really planned kids- wasnt against having them per se, just never factored them in, but I have one girl now. Think I will stick with just one but that could change. Right now she is six and I am stuck between sticking with one and regaining a bit of freedom as she gets older, or having another and going back to square one with all the baby stuff. Right now mentally I couldn't cope with another child however in a few years I might but then the whole going back to the beginning seems a bit more daunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Tasden wrote: »
    Never really planned kids- wasnt against having them per se, just never factored them in, but I have one girl now. Think I will stick with just one but that could change. Right now she is six and I am stuck between sticking with one and regaining a bit of freedom as she gets older, or having another and going back to square one with all the baby stuff. Right now mentally I couldn't cope with another child however in a few years I might but then the whole going back to the beginning seems a bit more daunting!

This is exactly where I am at moment, I just can't stomach the thought of going back to square one, its a bit selfish but I told my wife I wanted whole lot together , its just that lot together is 2 for me . But I just want to make it clear we both sat down and discussed that and both agreed on that one.
    The one thing with money in mind the 4 year old will be going to school next September so we can start little man in crèche march/April next year, I think it's important for him to be in there. I feel guilty we can't afford to have both children in crèche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Just for anyone with or planning an only child. I am one, and I never felt lonely growing up, and I was the only grandchild too for a long time. Sure I didn't know any different, how could I feel I was missing something? I had plenty of friends, I had a great vocabulary from playing and talking with adults all the time and from reading so much. I am well able to function with my own company and never had any problems entertaining myself, I was very creative and had a great imagination, all things that have stood to me as an adult.

Having siblings doesn't guarantee that you will get on with them does it? Plenty of people can still be lonely growing up with a sibling or more.

Edit: Actually also, you have no idea how amazing Christmas and birthdays are when you are the only child and grandchild, *showered* with love, cuddles and gifts :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think I find being an only child worse as an adult then as I child. I survived it though and people often don't make the decision to have 1 as was in my case and it is just the way things happen.
    We never had much money so I did not do any better at christmas and birthdays.
    I have 3 kids 4,2 and 8 months and 4 is the dream.

We decided to take life as it comes, definitely wanted one and luckily hit the jackpot with the best little boy ever.

As I posted on another thread, I never had a figure in my head when it came to children. I'm long enough in the tooth to have witnessed family and friends fixate on a certain number and/or age gap and suffer huge disappointment when it didn't happen like that.

As things turned out we had a very unexpected redundancy and a very serious illness strike after our son was born. They both had life changing impacts on us and if nothing else I've learned to live in the moment. You simply never know what's around the corner in this life.

We may have another child, we may not. I'm not remotely broody, I'm so glad I've just the one when I see my friends with a baby and a toddler and am only too happy to hand a newborn back after a cuddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I want 3. OH wants 2. So were going to have to see who caves. We have 1 and one on the way so i may change my mind when we have 2.
    Our daughter will be 23 months when no 2 comes. Exactly the kind of age gap we hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have exactly 24 between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 and it is a perfect gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I always said 3.
    First was a boy, a girl arrived (unplanned) when he was 2.5. It was a nice gap.
    When I was pregnant with her I said if I was having a girl then I would have a 3rd so she would have a sister (hopefully)
    But a tough pregnancy followed by a horrific birth means that 2 is now my limit.

On a practical level 2 is better for us financially and stress wise.

I glad we are done. I love our two to bits and am enjoying every day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd like three children, and would like to leave a few years between them. I'm 28 now with my first on the way - who knows, maybe I'll decide to leave it at one after this! :o Anyways for financial reasons we'll have to leave it 4-5 years before going again, as we couldn't afford two in creche at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I always wanted 2 and we've been blessed to have 2 beautiful healthy children.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We never had much money so I did not do any better at christmas and birthdays.

I don't really mean in terms of money or presents, just that I got showered with love and well wishes because I was the only child in the whole family, so even if I only got a new fancy pencil from an aunt or uncle I still got a lot of presents because I was the only one to give them to, and got loads of cuddles, cards, etc :)

I know what you mean.
    We have 3 and they are the only grandkids in both families and also have 2 uncles and an auntie and a great granny who are amazing with them.
    I am an only child but have 60 1st cousins:)
    They are spoilt with time and energy.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I know what you mean.
    We have 3 and they are the only grandkids in both families and also have 2 uncles and an auntie and a great granny who are amazing with them.
    I am an only child but have 60 1st cousins:)
    They are spoilt with time and energy.

Yeah, there's always someone who isn't bored of you yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I always wanted more than 2. Both my parents have 5 siblings, but each sibling only has two kids. Still a big family though. I have a two month old now who wasn't planned. I'm not with her father and if I ever get married I will want to have two with my husband to be so I could end up with three. As I said I've a two month old, but I'm finding I'm getting broody :P I love kids n my parents love their granddaughter so can't wait to have more.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

When we got married 19 years ago we said we'd start straight away and have 6 kids. Things didn't go to plan though and we now have 2 adopted children a boy and a girl aged 9 and 6.
    I actually can't imagine having any more than my 2. I doubt I could cope with it. I'm definitely done with the baby stage. If you handed me a new born baby right now and said there you go, it's yours I'd probably give it back, which is so weird after all the years I spent longing to have a baby.
    I'm not the kind of mother I thought I would be, maybe because I was older starting and have less energy. I'm definitely not cut out to be a mother of 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I always thought I'd have 2 or 3. Then had one when I was 20 and the older she gets the less inclined I would be to go back to the baby stages. Plus I'm single at the moment and have no intention of becoming a single parent again by choice so it's ruled out for now.

I still always thought I'd have another two if I met someone and got married but as I now have health problems to factor in I'm not sure what I would want in the future.

So I've 10+ years of babymaking left (all being well) so I've loads of time to see what happens. And if nothing happens at all, that's ok too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Two at the most. Ideally one of each - which is what we ended up with.
    Any more and they would have started to outnumber us.
    Much as I love them, if the OH told me she was pregnant again, I'd tell her how wonderful that was, excuse myself for a moment and go to the shed and cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Have one girl, she's 12 nearly 13, I love having one and it's great that I have so much time for her (too much sometimes).

I thank my lucky stars I didn't have a baby with the ex, however I am in a relatively new relationship and I think maybe if it worked out which I think it will then yes I'd like another with him I think! But then I think my girl will be a teenager and I'd be starting again... Would I be MAD?! Then again I'm only 33... Ah I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OH and I want at least three, maybe even four!
    Currently TTC the first (and possibly already pregnant :o ) so I suppose it might all change when I have to push it out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    OH and I want at least three, maybe even four!
    Currently TTC the first (and possibly already pregnant :o ) so I suppose it might all change when I have to push it out! :rolleyes:

I just had my first baby in April, not long after pushing I was broody again!

She's also six months old now and we would love another, but I'm just qualified and need to put some time in with a new job! The plan is 3. I'm 28 so would "ideally" like to be done by 32 but life rarely goes to plan :) have zero preference for girls or boys!

A friend of mine always wanted 2 but literally is obsessed with having a girl, she's just had her second boy around the time I had my girl (which was awkward) and is planning on going again in the New Year for the girl.....dangerous game!

Ps good luck with ttc!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

We started young & had our 1st unexpectedly!! So we have 15 years, 2 & 1/2 & 4 months. Yes it was like going back to the start and being older (30 as opposed to 17) has a definite bearing - both positive and negative.

We always wanted 3 min - OH does not get on with his sister and I have 3 siblings and while we fall out its never for long, so we wanted a peacemaker! Personally I'd like another one but could not do another pregnancy so we're looking at permanent contraceptive measures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Wanted none. Now have 5. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. Wonderful now though...when they are in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

When I got married at 28, we started trying straight away. We wanted at least two, and if any more came our way that'd be fine too. Of course, life doesn't always go that way. We were diagnosed with infertility, went through the merry-go-round that is IVF without any success. Then, nearly four years ago, my husband passed away suddenly. A widow in my mid-thirties, I really didn't think I'd ever have children. I pretty much resigned myself to the thought that it wasn't to be. However, a year and a half ago, I met my partner. I'm looking at our nine day old son as I type :)
    We hope to have at least one more; age is a factor - I'm nearly 38 so we'll need to get cracking soon. If a third happens, it'd be beyond amazing but I think two will probably be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

I have two, a girl and a boy, always thought I would have more but it just didn't happen.

nikpmup wrote: »
    When I got married at 28, we started trying straight away. We wanted at least two, and if any more came our way that'd be fine too. Of course, life doesn't always go that way. We were diagnosed with infertility, went through the merry-go-round that is IVF without any success. Then, nearly four years ago, my husband passed away suddenly. A widow in my mid-thirties, I really didn't think I'd ever have children. I pretty much resigned myself to the thought that it wasn't to be. However, a year and a half ago, I met my partner. I'm looking at our nine day old son as I type :)
    We hope to have at least one more; age is a factor - I'm nearly 38 so we'll need to get cracking soon. If a third happens, it'd be beyond amazing but I think two will probably be it.

Not sure what to say to that but wish you every happiness

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »

Not sure what to say to that but wish you every happiness

Advertisement