Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many children did you want to have and how many did you have

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I have a 12 year old and an almost 3 year old and never intended to have any!
    :D:D:D

Wouldn't change a thing now but that's it for me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I get that a lot how come there is such a big gap.They dont realise you could be tryiing all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a 16 yr old and a 3 yr old. We're done. We were only kids ourselves when we had our first and its been a long road to get on our feet and make a life for ourselves, I'm mid 30's now and feel too old and far too selfish for nappies and sleepless nights. We want to enjoy our middle age just us without smallies. We never wanted kids at all so we feel happy with the two we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

only blessed with the one but I would have LOVED at least 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ok just an update.

We found out this morning we're expecting number 3 . This was an accident , I'm still in shock a small bit, wife is a bit emotional .

Our 4 year old will be starting school in sep so that will free up some money being paid on crèche at least. I think we're both happy about it really but both suffering from flu and not quite firing on all cylinders.

You'd think at 37/38 years old we'd now better.

So any way our original plan was to have 3 children and it looks like we got our wish. Financially we should have stayed at 2 . But at what point do you let finance get in the way of happiness .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Congrats monkeysnapper!!

We always thought we'd have 3 too but like that financially we should really stay at 2 (2 girls at the minute) so we're in two minds about whether to go again!

Best of Luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats:))
    3 is a good number!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Congrats monkey snapper
    :)
    Our second was a 'surprise' I know the shock is a bit tough but now I could not imagine life with out her.
    But do let yourselves be a bit shocked it's all part of the process .
    If you've given away all the baby stuff then do accept second hand stuff from others . No point going to unnecessary expense :)
    Take it one day at a time and remember 'life is what happens when we are busy making plans'
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Congrats! :)

In my naive youth I always wanted 5. 3 boys and 2 girls.
    I'm 34 (nearly 35) now and I have no kids. More than anything in the world I would love to be a mother, but I know that may not be on the cards for me.
    IF I am blessed enough I don't imagine there'd be much time for more than 1. 2 at a complete stretch...
    I'll just have to wait and see what comes my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Congrats monkeysnapper

Have 2 @ the moment 1 boy (4 1/2) and 1 girl (2 1/4) with the third overdue since Sunday so now just waiting on the phone to say "it's time to go"

I was happy with 2 but was easily swayed to have another. I'm from a Family of ten (six girls and 4 boys inc me)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have 2, a boy and a girl, 17 and 4. I'm done, still get a bit broody from time to time but it never lasts which is enough of a sign that I'm not really keen. My husband would love another but it would be a bit of a disaster at the moment and I feel at 36 and 42 we're too old. I love my lie ins and don't fancy going back to nappies and sleepless nights.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ok just an update.

We found out this morning we're expecting number 3 . .

Congrats :D
    the third overdue since Sunday so now just waiting on the phone to say "it's time to go"

Congrats... Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

I had my 12 yr old at age 22 and would have liked to have more but, never found the right mam or moment lol...he is an only child in our house as we say, but his dad has gone on to have 2 more girls with his partner so he has the little sisters there to annoy him and the peace and quiet in our house. As for me i think my time has run out to have more children. Sometimes i get a bit down but then i remember the wonderful son i have and have raised on my own and done a pretty good job too:)

I came across my old thread and thought I would update it.

We thought we might like 4 but settled on 2 ......BUT because the wind changed one night we ended up by accident having child 3 .

Having 3 children financially is a bit harder than we would have liked but we are so happy with our 3 .

The little accident is the character in the house and we love him dearly .

After number 3 came along we really played it safe, no way can any more come along and with both of us in early 40s just don't have energy .

I've talked with a lot of people over the years and nearly all of them would have liked to have had more children but didn't , and all was due to finances .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

xzanti wrote: »
    I have one little boy who's almost 3..

Getting married in early 2015 and hoping to start on No.2 on the Honeymoon :D

Pahahahaha :pac:

Little boy is 6 now. We separated for a while after the wedding. Only having No.2 now. Due in September. This is my last one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Little boy is 6 now. We separated for a while after the wedding. Only having No.2 now. Due in September. This is my last one!!!

I'm glad it all worked out in the end :)

Better late than never . glad things worked out for you .

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Congrats monkeysnapper!!

We always thought we'd have 3 too but like that financially we should really stay at 2 (2 girls at the minute) so we're in two minds about whether to go again!

Best of Luck!

Here's my update...............only 3 years later and pregnant on the third:P!! Freaking out about having a third-mostly financial but i'd hate to have regrets also.

• Advertisement

Well I guess the update on here is that I did have a son in the end. So I am not as outnumbered as I was.

We are now sorta actively trying for child number 3 - a little earlier than we originally planned to start trying. We are not so much trying as - no longer _not_ trying if that makes any sense. So come what may.

The 4th and last planned child I guess we would ideally start working on pretty soon after number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ah would ye stop! :mad:

My four are all growed up and gone (although one's coming back next week, all shiny and graduated and jobless .. for now!) but I'd love to start again, and threads like this make me broody. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

None and none for me!

Ah would ye stop! :mad:

My four are all growed up and gone (although one's coming back next week, all shiny and graduated and jobless .. for now!) but I'd love to start again, and threads like this make me broody. :D

Any profound advice for us with young kids/newborns that are scared of coping-financially/mentally/emotionally etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I wanted two minimum, three max.

I have one teenager and for loads of reasons there won't be more babies.

I also have a will-be stepchild (once we're married). She's a tween.
    So one each. None together. We're early 30s so time for more but won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Well we did end up having another baby, not the boy I had foreseen but a little girl who is now 2 & ...how should I put it...high spiritied :o:D
    There was a reason I only saw myself with boys, if I'd have seen my life with a girl I might have stuck with one lol :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 peckerdara

Have 2 but we always thought 3 was the magic number.

Never happened for us but obviously delighted with the two we have. They're great kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wanted none. Very vehemently. Motherhood was not for me. We Got away with it for 15 years then I got pregnant.

Well he's 2.5 now and I can't imagine life without him. He's changed everything. I was right about the aspects I saw myself struggle with but I had never factored in the rewards. I could have never foreseen just how much you can love another person.

In saying that, we're both happy with one. No plans for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Wanted 3 maybe 4.. I have 6. And 4 almost stepchildren. From 18 down to 10 weeks old. I love my busy house. I love the hugs and the way they make me proud. It's put my obsessive organizational skills to good use. I still have time for the gym :D tiredness is a killer though. Can't wait for the 4am feed to be gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Wanted just one. So of course it turned out to be twins.

Advertisement