Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say “HI” to juno

• 08-10-2013 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow will be an occasion where ham radio is going to be useful for a purpose outside of the usual scope of activities.
    I think I am going to participate from the southwest:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/hijuno/

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

oh cool, thanks for the heads up. I dont have a morse key, I hope I will be able to use HRD for this. I have never used HRD for CW, don't know what to expect really

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

map here

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/hijuno/

Times for Amsterdam ( close enough )
    2013/10/09 19:46:24.680 UTC - 2013/10/09 20:41:24.680 UTC

didn't hear anyone on 10m which could be good news in a sense that waves didn't propagate back to Earth but travelled right in Space. However I was hopping to hear near by local stations, but I heard nothing. I expected the B section (28.019Mhz) to be super busy because of many operator call signs ending with B in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I was transmitting for the first 90 minutes and stopped after the fins on the back of my IC-7200 became too hot to touch. The whole rig is basically a big heatsink, so it took some time to heat up but at that point I decided I had enough. I didn't hear any other signals either.

Quaderno wrote: »
    I was transmitting for the first 90 minutes and stopped after the fins on the back of my IC-7200 became too hot to touch. The whole rig is basically a big heatsink, so it took some time to heat up but at that point I decided I had enough. I didn't hear any other signals either.

what power did you use? I used 40w, rig got warm, not hot. After this was done, I left the radio room and realised that the rest of the house needs heating turned on right away, there was noticeable temperature difference between the shack and other rooms.

I did miss a couple of dots but all and all I served right through. Not often do you get to say - hey, I helped NASA to test their spacecraft :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

martinsvi wrote: »
    what power did you use?

The transmitter was set to 100W, but how much of that actually ended up being radiated I cannot say. I use an attic dipole which is nearly perfectly resonant on 14,200kHz fed through a 1:1 balun with about 8 metres of coax and matched with an IT-100 autotuner at an SWR of about 1:1.5 (on 28,019kHz) to the IC-7200, so I suspect that easily half of the power or more might get lost in the cable. This is far from ideal, but surprisingly no part of the system except of course the actual pa stage of the transceiver got noticeably warm. Even the power supply, though showing a constant current of just over 20A being drawn, held up without even getting slightly warm. Nevertheless this was the first time I had placed a fire extinguisher within arms reach before starting to transmit :)

Advertisement