Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu via Orcale VirtualBox

• 08-10-2013 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I installed Ubuntu through a VirtualBox on my Macbook pro,
    but it's running pretty slow.

I gave it 30GB's of memory and around 1.2GB ram,
    I was told to only allocate around 0.5GB ram to it and that should be fine,
    but at 1.2GB ram it's pretty slow.

I'm using a Macbook pro with 8GB ram,
    I also have a virtualbox with Windows 7 installed on it, I have that running off 3GB ram and it's flying.

Should I give it more ram or could there be another issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is it a server install? Or is it running a full desktop? If desktop then 1.2G should be OK, but not great. I'd bump it to 2 since you have 8 available on the host.

If it's a server then 512MB should be loads for most things.

It should be very nippy though in general. If it's not there's something wrong. You may be using a 3D desktop environment with only 2D enabled in virtualbox.

I'm spitballing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Khannie wrote: »
    Is it a server install? Or is it running a full desktop? If desktop then 1.2G should be OK, but not great. I'd bump it to 2 since you have 8 available on the host.

If it's a server then 512MB should be loads for most things.

It should be very nippy though in general. If it's not there's something wrong. You may be using a 3D desktop environment with only 2D enabled in virtualbox.

I'm spitballing here.

Just a full desktop install, basically it's for college. We installed the same way on a windows machine through virtualbox in college and gave it half a gig ram and it was faster then the 1.2gb ram I've given it on my Macbook pro.

Have you installed the guest additions?

Have you installed the guest additions?

that I have not done actually. could this help improve speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

VirtualBox i don't like on the mac

try using Vmware Fusion -> and what version of Ubuntu are you using try using 12.04 if its the newest version i to found it a bit laggy so i want back down to 12.04

• Advertisement

that I have not done actually. could this help improve speed?

Significantly. :)

Significantly. :)

i'll give this a try later on, thanks for the help. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

there is an option to enable VT-x/AMD-V which, once enabled, improved performance a lot on my i7 laptop. Also, in the Display section, there is an option to Enable 3D Acceleration that you should enable. There is a 2D acceleration option too but that is only applicable to windows guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Also in VB settings, for better vm performance, you might want to give ubuntu 2 virtual cpu's, it defaults at one, and bump video memo to the max..

2m7i7pe.jpg

2wgdh6w.jpg

Advertisement