Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on iPad Mini in New York

Options
  • 08-10-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Not too sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but someone can re-direct me if needs be!

Ok, so I've had a look for answers to this, and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to New York soon, and want to buy an iPad Mini. It's listed on the Apple website at $329 (242euro) and there's a sales tax in NYC at 8.875% i think which brings it to around $358 (264euro)

What other tax am I liable to pay? Like, will I have to pay VAT at 23% when I return to Ireland, and is there any way to avoid it? And is the 23% on the USD price or the Euro conversion rate? Because with the 23%, I'd be better off buying it at home!

Thank you!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

You can bring back €430 worth of goods tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

GlowStick wrote: »
    Not too sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but someone can re-direct me if needs be!

Ok, so I've had a look for answers to this, and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to New York soon, and want to buy an iPad Mini. It's listed on the Apple website at $329 (242euro) and there's a sales tax in NYC at 8.875% i think which brings it to around $358 (264euro)

What other tax am I liable to pay? Like, will I have to pay VAT at 23% when I return to Ireland, and is there any way to avoid it? And is the 23% on the USD price or the Euro conversion rate? Because with the 23%, I'd be better off buying it at home!

Thank you!! :D

you will not have to pay the ny sales tax as you are not resident there, if you purchase in macys ensure that you regester you passport, you will get another reduction, there are probably more to do, i am sure you will get more advice before the day is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

flutered wrote: »
    you will not have to pay the ny sales tax as you are not resident there, if you purchase in macys ensure that you regester you passport, you will get another reduction, there are probably more to do, i am sure you will get more advice before the day is out.

Is that for all shops or just macys? If you buy in the apple store, how do you avoid the tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

:eek: This is completely wrong! You will have to pay sales tax. And unlike Ireland, there is no tax refund system for purchases bought in the US.

Regarding discounts in Macy's etc, the discount cards they give visitors exclude specific departments, and electronics are usually one of those excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

You can bring back €430 worth of goods tax free.

Duty free perhaps. But VAT at 23% will be payable, afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

New iPad mini will be announced 22nd this month so I would wait if I were you. Rumours of retina screen and 64bit cpu. Major upgrade on mini 1 if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GlowStick

DrMorphine wrote: »
    New iPad mini will be announced 22nd this month so I would wait if I were you. Rumours of retina screen and 64bit cpu. Major upgrade on mini 1 if true.

Oh thanks for that. Completely forgot to check when a new model was coming out!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GlowStick

DrMorphine wrote: »

Oh thanks for that. Completely forgot to check when a new model was coming out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When your in New York buy either from Apple store or from a large retailer like Macys, there's lots of dodgy small shops selling them that you would be best to avoid as you will likely get ripped off and have no warranty as they won't be official reseller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Utter rubbish. Everyone in America has to pay sales tax on goods that they buy. Whether they are US residents or not is irrelevant. Some states offer exemptions and/or tax holidays on certain goods (such as kids clothes and school supplies at back to school time) but consumer electronics will not fall into that category. The OP will have to pay the applicable sales tax on the items that he buys. The US government does not give sales tax back on goods the way that Ireland does.

It is true that Macys often offer great deals to people visiting from overseas. Tourists should definitely swing by their customer service department, and see what they can do for them with coupons and what not. However, it is a marketing gimmick that Macys in particular are well known for. It is by no means a nationwide or government policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Utter rubbish. Everyone in America has to pay sales tax on goods that they buy. Whether they are US residents or not is irrelevant. Some states offer exemptions and/or tax holidays on certain goods (such as kids clothes and school supplies at back to school time) but consumer electronics will not fall into that category. The OP will have to pay the applicable sales tax on the items that he buys. The US government does not give sales tax back on goods the way that Ireland does.

It is true that Macys often offer great deals to people visiting from overseas. Tourists should definitely swing by their customer service department, and see what they can do for them with coupons and what not. However, it is a marketing gimmick that Macys in particular are well known for. It is by no means a nationwide or government policy.

Meh, didn't find Macys great, was a bit of a rip off actually, every thing was priced way above what you would pay elsewhere. Their foreigner discount thing is offset by the higher prices, people get a better discount locally with a Macys store card.

Jersey Gardens is 'ok' but crap for electronic goods, bloody huge though and a great selection of stuff.

Shuttle buses are available.
    http://www.jerseygardens.com/info/information

I would second that the best place to go would be an Applestore or a Sears/Best Buy/Walmart.

Headed down to a mall near Plainsboro in NJ and it was around half the price.

<mod snip>

Advertisement