Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 10k at start of November...

Options
  • 08-10-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi

am training for the Waterford half (1st Dec) and I'd like get in a 10k on the 2/3rd November. Anyone know of a 10k being scheduled not too far from Drogheda in early November?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

Per runireland.com there's a 10K "King of Gullion" in Newry on 2 November. Not too far to travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

carlton36 wrote: »
    Per runireland.com there's a 10K "King of Gullion" in Newry on 2 November. Not too far to travel....

yeah-saw that alright. I was kind of hoping for a road race though. From what I read, its a trail race and is a gut busting run up and down the mountain. I have brought the kids up to the playground up there......that place is steep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

yeah-saw that alright. I was kind of hoping for a road race though. From what I read, its a trail race and is a gut busting run up and down the mountain. I have brought the kids up to the playground up there......that place is steep!!!

Sorry missed that it was a trail race. I just went on to the Precision timing site and they're taking entries for a 10K run / 5K Walk in the Phoenix Park on Sunday 3 November in aid of Brain Tumour Ireland. €25 with chip timing and it's for a good cause.
    There's also the Clontarf 5 mile at the end of November, 1 week for your target half marathon date although it may be a bit too close to your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

The annual Movember run is on in November ( Phoenix Park), maybe a bit far for you though...

Duanington wrote: »
    The annual Movember run is on in November ( Phoenix Park), maybe a bit far for you though...

Phoenix park is fine-no big trip at all......didn't realise this is on. tks but I'm thinking a 10k 2 weeks beforehand mightn't be the best of tapering for a guy like me. I'd be afraid it would it be too close to the half (which has been my focus for the early winter.......What do you guys think?

here's a quick bio to help with ur answers.....
    37 and 5ft 7, just over 13 stone, running 4 days a week since start of May (have lost about a stone). Done a few 5ks and 10k's over the summer. Currently on a 16 week plan for this half in Waterford on 1st Dec with a plan to beat 1hr 45 mins.
    PB's
    5k 22.29 (2013)
    10k 48.47 (2013)
    Half 1.45.56 (2010)
    Mara 3.36 (2002)

• Advertisement

Phoenix park is fine-no big trip at all......didn't realise this is on. tks but I'm thinking a 10k 2 weeks beforehand mightn't be the best of tapering for a guy like me. I'd be afraid it would it be too close to the half (which has been my focus for the early winter.......What do you guys think?

here's a quick bio to help with ur answers.....
    37 and 5ft 7, just over 13 stone, running 4 days a week since start of May (have lost about a stone). Done a few 5ks and 10k's over the summer. Currently on a 16 week plan for this half in Waterford on 1st Dec with a plan to beat 1hr 45 mins.
    PB's
    5k 22.29 (2013)
    10k 48.47 (2013)
    Half 1.45.56 (2010)
    Mara 3.36 (2002)

I wouldn't have thought it too close for comfort - maybe for a full marathon but I would have thought it could be of benefit to you seeing as you are targetting a half. The course has a few hills on it from memory though so I wouldn't be too disheartened if a PB doesn't come your way on the day.
    Looking at your times, I would say go for it - why not? I ran it the year before last and had great craic on the day.

I wouldn't have thought it too close for comfort - maybe for a full marathon but I would have thought it could be of benefit to you seeing as you are targetting a half. The course has a few hills on it from memory though so I wouldn't be too disheartened if a PB doesn't come your way on the day.
    Looking at your times, I would say go for it - why not? I ran it the year before last and had great craic on the day.

tks for that Duanington. I've ran in the race series before around the Park, so yeah-would expect a few hills alright;)

what about the Gullion run? thats kind of appealing to me now (maybe i'm mad). would I gain anything from doing such a hill/trail run a month beforehand?

tks for that Duanington. I've ran in the race series before around the Park, so yeah-would expect a few hills alright;)

what about the Gullion run? thats kind of appealing to me now (maybe i'm mad). would I gain anything from doing such a hill/trail run a month beforehand?

I would say yes, you would gain from it - a month out is loads of time between the two in my opinion. The hills and trails would obviously be tough but isn't training supposed to be tough ??!

Its hard to simulate those conditions in training, sometimes a race is the best place to "toughen" yourself up a bit.

I read a lot of the marathon \ half marathon training blogs here and quite a few people use races just like these as part of their training plan. ( with added slower miles either side of the actual race)

One of the more experienced boardsies might be able to give you more specifics but for me, a good (shorter) race before a target race with a good break in between the two has potential to boost confidence and freshen up your race day routine :)

I would say yes, you would gain from it - a month out is loads of time between the two in my opinion. The hills and trails would obviously be tough but isn't training supposed to be tough ??!

Its hard to simulate those conditions in training, sometimes a race is the best place to "toughen" yourself up a bit.

I read a lot of the marathon \ half marathon training blogs here and quite a few people use races just like these as part of their training plan. ( with added slower miles either side of the actual race)

One of the more experienced boardsies might be able to give you more specifics but for me, a good (shorter) race before a target race with a good break in between the two has potential to boost confidence and freshen up your race day routine :)

tks a mill. yeah-sure what have i got to lose? never done such a hill race before....might actually enjoy the craic and freshen me up for the last month. If I done a road 10k, i'd be trying to do a PB-and then if it wasn't achieved, I'd be questioning my half preparation and wondering why I'm not near peaking!
    So yeah...might actually go for the challenge of a hill run in race conditions...tks a mill Duanington...great to tease this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Stook is on the 17th but is a 10 mile race. Last year, plenty of runners from kilkenny used it as a preparation race for waterford half. Might be an option for you. Full disclosure - I am involved in organising it with Gowran AC. Hill / trail races are fun too though!

• Advertisement

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Stook is on the 17th but is a 10 mile race. Last year, plenty of runners from kilkenny used it as a preparation race for waterford half. Might be an option for you. Full disclosure - I am involved in organising it with Gowran AC. Hill / trail races are fun too though!

tks Asimonov. Yeah, time will be against me to make it down to Gowran....the family will kill me being away for most of the day!! tks a mill though

gotcha on the fun element - yep, looking to try Gullion now. Different is GOOD!!

Advertisement