Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white fish (cod?) tomato and fennel

Options
  • 08-10-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine is coming up for dinner tonight and I'm a tad short on cash I do however have in the fridge: baby potatoes, tomatoes (fresh and tinned), peppers X3 colour, red onion, white onions, green beans, carrots and fennel and I have the usual larder tins, butter beans, etc.

I was thinking about buying some white fish. Has anyone a handy recipe for a fish, tomato, fennel and whatever else bake?

Also, will I just boil the pots and green beans and just serve them with butter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd thinly slice the potatoes and an onion (use a mandolin if you have one), plus maybe some of the fennel and season and mix with a good splash of olive oil in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pop in the oven until almost done, say 30 mins or so, and then place some pieces of fish on top of the potato/onions, hake is a good one for this if you can get it. Also add some sliced tomatoes, season again and maybe add a splash more olive oil over the fish and bake again for maybe 10-15 mins until the fish is cooked. Half way through the cooking spoon some of the accumulated juices over the fish. You could do the beans separately as a side dish.

EDIT: forgot one ingredient, some whole garlic cloves cut in half added to the potatoes and onions in stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You've all the lovely ingredients needed for a delicious one-pot Mediterranean fish stew. I made it recently and it was gorgeous - dead simple to make as well so not very labour intensive!

http://simplymediterranean.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/mediterranean-fish-stew-with-fennel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

A regular dinner in our house - cut some scrubbed potatoes into large chunks and season with thyme, salt and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven, and top with white fish, skin side down. Season the fish with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Return to oven for a further 15-20 minutes.

At this point, pop a large dish of fresh tomatoes into the oven, drizzled once more olive oil, and splashed with a good quality balsamic vinegar.

Delicious, healthy dinner in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

If you ask for fresh ling or white pollack you would have a cheaper alternative to cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's very much like my recipe ... you should try putting the tomatoes in together with the fish. The mixture of olive oil, and juices from the fish and tomatoes is delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement