Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Didn't see it mentioned, but the Synology NAS apps (DS Audio and DS Video) both support Chromecast. So wherever you happen to be (with your phone + Chromecast), you can log into your NAS at home (using DS Video/Audio) and cast the movie/video/audio to the Chromecast. Tested with a few different video formats and it worked really well. I'm well impressed. Going on holidays soon and the plan is to bring a Pico projector and Chromecast and stream from the NAS at home.

Also supports subtitles too which is a huge plus. Worked flawlessly for me anytime I've streamed from my NAS but I've only tried over my local network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Mod Note: Given the nature of Chromecast, it is inevitable that discussion on streaming of illegally obtained movies/shows would appear in this thread. Rather than waste my time deleting/editing such posts and infracting people, I want to make it clear that this is strictly against forum, and indeed Boards, rules and from this moment on any further references to apps that are used for the download or streaming of pirated of illegal content will result in an immediate and permanent ban. This message has been copied to post #1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Ok guys apologies in advance for a couple of banal queries & questions. I'm on a woefully bad broadband line - 0.5Mb download so I know any of the streaming services are out of the question but will the Chromecast dongle still function on my home network to stream from files my laptop or phone, e.g. pictures & music? Also will apps on my phone appear on the Chromecast (I don't mean just Google's own apps like YouTube & Play Store but also Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Picasa & Flickr. I've seen that, from the Chrome browser if I search C:// all my folders will show in the browser which I think can be mirrored with the Chromecast extension, is this correct? I'm totally green on these issues & I know my broadband speed is a joke but is the Chromecast dongle worth it for a home networking device (if that's how one could describe it):confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Ok guys apologies in advance for a couple of banal queries & questions. I'm on a woefully bad broadband line - 0.5Mb download so I know any of the streaming services are out of the question but will the Chromecast dongle still function on my home network to stream from files my laptop or phone, e.g. pictures & music? Also will apps on my phone appear on the Chromecast (I don't mean just Google's own apps like YouTube & Play Store but also Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Picasa & Flickr. I've seen that, from the Chrome browser if I search C:// all my folders will show in the browser which I think can be mirrored with the Chromecast extension, is this correct? I'm totally green on these issues & I know my broadband speed is a joke but is the Chromecast dongle worth it for a home networking device (if that's how one could describe it):confused::o

No apps are loaded on the Chromecast Device, only supported apps on your device can cast content . (not a complete list! Are you android or iOS?)

With the chrome extension you can cast tabs from your browser (so what ever will display in chrome will show on the chromecast) or you can mirror your desktop.

Plenty of apps to cast local content from android (not as much for iOS)

If you have local video files, a great extension for chrome is videostream

Advertisement