Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these 2 graphics cards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What are the full specs of that pc? Is it a 4770 processor?

What power supply is in it?

Does it not come with a 1gb 8570 graphics card already?

What is the card going to be used for?

If it's gaming you want something with a bit more power than any of those but the power supply will dictate what you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A 400W/25A power supply is recommended for both cards.

You say you need a low-profile card, the 9200 SFF only has a 255W PSU. Even the Mini Tower only has a 290W PSU (which might just about do the job).

BloodBath wrote: »
    Does it not come with a 1gb 8570 graphics card already?

Just checked the Dell website, all OptiPlex 9020 come with Intel HD graphics (HD 4600), no optional card is offered, though they are supported according to the spec sheet (pdf)

Edit: On their US website they do offer the Midi Tower (290W PSU) with a HD 8570, but since the OP is looking for low-profile, I presume it's the small form factor model with a 255W PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DeanoCeltic

It's the small form factor alright Torqay. I'll need to check the power supply. And yes, it just has the built-in Intel graphics by default.

I simply have the option of adding the 5570 (from my old sff Optiplex) or the 7470 which was supplied with a new Dell in work.

I'm just looking for a simple step up here. The 5570 worked well in the old Optiplex I had (Pentium Duo, 4GB RAM) and I was just wondering if the newer card would be a better option.

I'll need to check the power supply.

YNzJmbM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't know what your budget is but this is probably the most powerful low profile card you can get that doesn't require any additional power connections and should run on most oem pc's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11202-10-20G-Profile-Graphics-Eyefinity/dp/B008H7T7YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381237787&sr=8-1&keywords=low+profile+7750

Thing is though, the old PC I have is an Optiplex 755 SFF and doing a quick search, it looks like the the power supply in that is 275W.

The 5570 worked fine in that :confused::o

The 7470 is a rebranded 6450. I had a 6450 in an Optiplex 360 with a 255W PSU which made sense as the old Core 2 Duo didn't have on-chip graphics and the Intel GMA 3100 was utterly poor. But in comparison with the new Intel HD 4600 graphics the HD 7470/6450 would be no improvement.

I don't know what your budget is but this is probably the most powerful low profile card you can get that doesn't require any additional power connections and should run on most oem pc's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11202-10-20G-Profile-Graphics-Eyefinity/dp/B008H7T7YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381237787&sr=8-1&keywords=low+profile+7750

Really a close call with a 255W PSU, the card has a peak power consumption of 43W, the processor 84W.

Torqay wrote: »
    The 7470 is a rebranded 6450. I had a 6450 in an Optiplex 360 with a 255W PSU which made sense as the old Core 2 Duo didn't have on-chip graphics and the Intel GMA 3100 was utterly poor. But in comparison with the new Intel HD 4600 graphics the HD 7470/6450 would be no improvement.

OK (and I am showing my level here), the Windows Experience score is actually less on the new PC than the old. When I compare results, Processor, Memory and Hard Disk all rank higher on the new PC while Graphics and Gaming Graphics rate (much) lower.

Surely a graphics card with 1GB of dedicated memory would be an improvement to the on-board graphics? :confused:

• Advertisement

I actually have both of these cards so am not looking at spending anything ;)

And, doesn't this one look like a bargain? No power info though...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WYV8SI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The HD 5570 is drawing 50W at peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What do you need a graphics card for? Why add one? You could just be adding to your power consumption with no appreciable improvement in performance

Lu Tze wrote: »
    What do you need a graphics card for? Why add one? You could just be adding to your power consumption with no appreciable improvement in performance

Games. Only a light user though. I would need to test with and without the card I guess - this would be the only way to see if there is or is not a difference I guess. I did think that a dedicated card would be an improvement though :confused:

Torqay wrote: »
    The HD 5570 is drawing 50W at peak.

Hmmmm.... OK, so it looks like power is the crux of the issue. Is there any application that I can use to check the current draw on the power supply?

Is there any application that I can use to check the current draw on the power supply?

Nope, has to be done the old fashioned way. ;)

Measuring Power Draw

Thanks Torqay. Multimeter and snips at the ready ;)

Make sure to run a CPU stresser as well because many games will make good use of both CPU and GPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

255w is absolutely fine for a 7750. The PSU is very efficient and total system consumption would be under 200w. A 6450 would be actually slower than HD4600 in games.

Yep, the 7750 is amazingly power efficient considering the performance (consuming actually less than Intel's GMA in idle state).

But OP doesn't want to spend money and has the choice between a HD 6450 and a HD 5570 and the latter is drawing significantly more power at peak performance.

• Advertisement

5570 would be fine as well with that PSU. Not a hungry card, total system consumption would still leave plenty headroom.

well, if you run 3dMark, SuperPI and HDTune performance test at the same time and your PSU doesn't blow up in smoke, all is well :p

I would say that you'd be pulling about 170-190w with that setup (including the 5570). If the PSU is 90% efficient, then that leaves loads of headroom - you would probably get away with a 7770 handily enough @ about 220w or so. :)

Don't know what sort of 12v rail the PSU is sporting though.

Not so sure about the standard 255W PSU, the optional PSU has up to 90% efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Hi,
    Just wondering hoe you got on. I was looking at HD7770 or GTX650 cards and were wondering whether you think they would be OK.
    I had a HD 7790 card but it needed pci express power connector which the PSu did not have.

7770 and 650 have power connectors as well. You can use an molex to 6-pin adaptor for that though.

I would say to just go with the 7750 to be safe, 7770 is the same price which is irritating but 255w is cutting it too close when the 7770 setup would draw 220-230w under load and I don't know how efficient the PSU is, wouldn't risk it long term though. 7750 would be close to the <200w mark, and will be fine.

Advertisement