Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ogham script

• 08-10-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm sure these requests are fairly common here & I'm also sure they attract a certain level of intrigue and disdain in equal measures...

I want to write the following words in Ogham script: teaghlaigh; baile; cairde

Can anyone please tell me if my version is correct?
    Also, please let me know if my execution is right... can i split the tree words like that and have them on single strands? Is the spacing correct... are there any intricacies I'm missing?

275037.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Hi Bluefoam, I honestly doubt many people here have much experience with Ogham - the Irish I use if far removed from it :pac:

It looks fine - but that's about all the experience I have with Ogham :(

If you get an answer to your questions post it back up here, I'd be interested in hearing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

AFAIK, Ogham was only used as a script for writing names etc.

In any case, I am guessing you are trying to say Family, Home, Friends?

Teaghlaigh means households. Not so much family. Baile can mean town(land) so it's a bit ambiguous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Gumbi wrote: »
    AFAIK, Ogham was only used as a script for writing names etc.

In any case, I am guessing you are trying to say Family, Home, Friends?

Teaghlaigh means households. Not so much family. Baile can mean town(land) so it's a bit ambiguous.
    Thanks, what is your suggestion for family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thanks, what is your suggestion for family?

Probably "Muintir" would do. It is all-encompassing and can include your extended family.

Advertisement