Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

He will have to get a 3rd one when he buys another bike!

so 2 new bike computers, a new pm, and now a new bike. must be xmas in the joey household..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If only! I'm a two bike household now, one has to leave before another can come in!

The bike computers are for presents, not even from me either! One is from gf for her dad and not sure about the other yet! In saying that my bike to work is up next year year and have been looking at a new garmin 920xt or new 810, or a disc or a fat bike....... It's a long list!!

joey100 wrote: »
    , or a disc

we could look at doing a disc cover group buy, think there was one before. shouldn;t be too expensive, cheaper than a full disc anyway

I could be interested in that alright, think last time I checked though my wheel wasn't compatible but let me know if yous are.

I could be interested in that alright, think last time I checked though my wheel wasn't compatible but let me know if yous are.

where did you check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mossym wrote: »
    we could look at doing a disc cover group buy, think there was one before. shouldn;t be too expensive, cheaper than a full disc anyway

mloc123 organised the last group but so it would be worth checking with him. I believe he got the covers from the US.

Think it was aero sience or something like that in the UK. Didn't look into it a whole lot though.

pgibbo wrote: »
    mloc123 organised the last group but so it would be worth checking with him. I believe he got the covers from the US.

did you get one with the flo's or would you be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I got one for my Grammos at the time but I don't have one for my Flos. Yes I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

mossym wrote: »
    did you get one with the flo's or would you be interested?

Joey your training log just got side tracked!

I'd def be interested if group order going in.

• Advertisement

that's no problem, especially if it ends up with me getting a disc!

Wed 3rd Dec

Evening run. Handy enough, 40 mins easy. Very pleased with the pace tonight, legs felt good and felt like I was floating along. At the end the legs felt great, as if I hadn't done a run.

Thurs4th Dec

Turbo session with the main bit being 4 X 5 mins @ 90%. This had to be done on effort rather than power, bikes still not back from the shop. Decent session and think I paced it well but no real way of knowing.

Fri 5th Dec

Very very early morning run. Cold out but no frost so once I got moving was grand. Another 40 mins easy with 5 X 20 seconds fast included. Again legs felt good and pace was decent for the effort.

Fri 5th Dec

Evening swim with interested. Good times for 50's, 100's and 200's finishing with 6 X 50m descending `1-3,4-6. Came in 42,40,38 and 41,38,37. Happy with these times, in the 17m pool I normally swim in I can't go below 42 seconds. Just seem to be stuck there. Nice to go below a few times in 1 session.

Sat 6th Dec

Planned long easy spin on the bike. All set to use the road bike and new to me power meter. All was going well until about an hour in and I was coming round a corner and the back wheel slid out on me. Could feel it happening but not much I could do. Hit the ground and took a bit of a smack. Hip was bruised and managed to take bit of chunk out of right knee using the handlebars. Everything else felt ok then, hands a bit sore but not too bad. Decided to go on a bit and see how I felt, route had a few points to turn off if I wanted. Didn't get far when I decided to go for home. Couldn't use the front brake and hand and wrist was sore. Was more in my mind about my hip and knee but Sat night I couldn't sleep as my wrist got sorer and sorer. Went to the local VHI swift care centre on Sunday morning and turns out I've fractured my left wrist. 1 week in a half cast and then into the fracture clinic and probably looking at another 6ish weeks in a cast. Isn't too sore now and swelling going down a bit. I'm off work for the week and will take another day or two off and then I should be ok to use the turbo. Fingers crossed by weekend I'll be running again, even if it's only slowly. The swim will suffer though. I'd be targeting late season races anyway so hopefully won't have too much of an impact. Will just have to get the run and bike good enough to compensate for the swim over the next few weeks!

well that sucks.

i think you and bikes where PM's are concerned are just cursed...

rest up, heal up. you'll be back in the pool before your know it

Fri 5th Dec

Evening swim with interested. Good times for 50's, 100's and 200's finishing with 6 X 50m descending `1-3,4-6. Came in 42,40,38 and 41,38,37. Happy with these times, in the 17m pool I normally swim in I can't go below 42 seconds. Just seem to be stuck there. Nice to go below a few times in 1 session.

Sat 6th Dec

Planned long easy spin on the bike. All set to use the road bike and new to me power meter. All was going well until about an hour in and I was coming round a corner and the back wheel slid out on me. Could feel it happening but not much I could do. Hit the ground and took a bit of a smack. Hip was bruised and managed to take bit of chunk out of right knee using the handlebars. Everything else felt ok then, hands a bit sore but not too bad. Decided to go on a bit and see how I felt, route had a few points to turn off if I wanted. Didn't get far when I decided to go for home. Couldn't use the front brake and hand and wrist was sore. Was more in my mind about my hip and knee but Sat night I couldn't sleep as my wrist got sorer and sorer. Went to the local VHI swift care centre on Sunday morning and turns out I've fractured my left wrist. 1 week in a half cast and then into the fracture clinic and probably looking at another 6ish weeks in a cast. Isn't too sore now and swelling going down a bit. I'm off work for the week and will take another day or two off and then I should be ok to use the turbo. Fingers crossed by weekend I'll be running again, even if it's only slowly. The swim will suffer though. I'd be targeting late season races anyway so hopefully won't have too much of an impact. Will just have to get the run and bike good enough to compensate for the swim over the next few weeks!

Fu@k that's bad luck especially with how your training is going.
    Best of luck with recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Good it's nothing serious-er at least. Heal quick.

Fri 5th Dec

Sat 6th Dec

Fu@k that's bad luck especially with how your training is going.
    Best of luck with recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry to hear about the wrist. Hopefully it heals up quickly for you. I know all about broken bones, not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ah thats really bad luck, especially now you're dipping under 40 for 50m in the pool. Get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well that stinks! :( Maybe ask if they can put a waterproof cast on you so you can still swim. ??? Or maybe you shouldn't listen to Dory because when I broke my wrist a few years back snowboarding, I cut the cast off myself hours after being released from the hospital because it frustrated the crap out of me. The orthopedic doctor the next day compromised with a different, more "user friendly", cast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Sh!t luck! But good time to get a new tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear about this!

Cheers folks, probably not the worst time to happen but still not ideal.

@Dory, I'll ask tomorrow in the fracture about a water proof cast, see what they say. Going to ask anyway about getting the cast cut down a bit, very big and awkward at the moment.

@Zico, was half thinking of a new tattoo alright, but just bought another powermeter so reckon I'd probably have my other wrist broken if I asked!

So last night I jumped onto the turbo to check it out. Legs felt ok, still a bit of swelling but was just so awkward to get comfortable on the bike. Using the road bike on the turbo at the moment but once I get the TT bike back an sorted I'd say it be easier to get comfortable.

Today was an easy run. Legs felt ok, still not 100%. Heart rate higher than usual and pace slower but this a combination of wind and first run back. It will get better though. Surprised at the wight of the cast though, left arm got pretty tired towards the end and don't think I could have stayd out much longer than the 40 mins I did. still, something to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hard luck with the wrist Joey.

The only saving grace is that it could always have been worse. At least with your wrist in a cast you can still bike and run and maybe even swim, whereas if it was your leg or ankle you'd be on the sofa for a month.

So nothing done since last week, was still swollen and just wasn't feeling it. Left it off over the weekend and was back on the turbo last night. Got the powermeter on the TT bike sorted so I'm back on that now on the turbo and it's lot more comfortable than the road bike was. Plan was just for an easy spin to see how the legs were feeling and if it was comfortable. Went well, no problems with wrist on the turbo and legs felt decent. Bit tight at the start but loosened out as it went on. Could have easily kept going at the end but kept it at one hour and felt good I had got it done.

The wrist is healing well. I'm taking it out of the splint everyday and checking on it's movement and swelling. Swelling is right down and I'm getting more and more movement. Pain is pretty much gone and it's only if I forget about it and push/pull hard that I feel anything. All going well I'll be back in the pool when I start back in work in January. Won't be too long out fo the water and am confident enough I can get back to close to where I was pretty quickly.

I've been very conscious of what I have been eating since the injury. I usually eat what ever I want really and with the training never realy put on any weight. Knew the workload would be a lot lower so have made a conscious effort to watch what I'm eating. Since I've been off the bike and run I;ve actually lost weight, I'm usually around 61kg, last 2 weeks now I've been around 60kg. I'd like to go under the 60kg mark for race season, so I;m going to keep a better eye on what I eat over christmas and after to try and drop a little bit of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good to hear Joe. You'll still be a contender don't worry :)

So last night was to be my first run in a while. Just a nice short enough easy run. Pace down a bit on where I was and heart rate a little bit higher. Legs felt grand though, no soreness and no pain. Even this morning nothing sore or anything. Hopefully now I can do a bit of running and cycling and then come January fingers crossed I can get back into it.

So training has been a bit hit and miss over the christmas. Done a bit on the turbo and a bit of running but life got in the way a bit and didn't do as much as I wanted. To be honest I probably underestimated the effect the fall had on me overall. Only starting to feel back to normal now. I done a 5km the other weekend and had no real idea of how I would get on, legs hadn't been feeling great and wasn't running particularly well leading up to it. Add in it was a tough hilly course and I only got about 3 hours sleep the night before meant I wasn't feeling great about it. Tough race, first 1km downhill and then seemed to spend the last 4km climbing. Time was 19.50, so just under 20 mins. PB is 18.45 so a fair bit off but I'd say the course was around 40 seconds slower. Not too bad but not too good either.

This week has seen a return to some decent training with 2 runs and turbo done and another turbo today. Monday should see a return to the pool and will see how th wrist holds up for that.

Still not 100% sure but looks like DCT will be my goal race again, still waiting on a good race there. Wouldn't mind giving a good 10km time a go too but will see how that fits into the overall plan. Main resolution for this year is to start doing some core workouts and to do more stretching. If I can get a good run of training going I'm confident about the times I can hit. Here's to 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nothing says commitment quite like a goal time Joe :)

Sub 3X:XX?

Good to hear it's still together, and those nasty Jan swim sessions will be on us in days - last weekend of complacency for several months coming up :)

I'll have to wait an see, bit of training to be done yet before I'm even targeting races. Only starting to get back into it now so will give it time before I decide on anything.

• Advertisement

Thurs 1st Jan

First tough turbo in a while. Main bit being 5 X 2 on, 2 off. Trying to hold above 120% for the on bits. Managed to, just though. Tough session, was suffering towrds the end of each 2 mins. Tried to keep it as consistent as possible, in each interval and between all intervals.

Fri 2nd Jan

Easy 45 min run. Bit of an improvment in pace tonight compard to last few runs. Actually felt like I was running instead of shuffling along.

Advertisement