Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Sat 3rd Jan

Still not back on the road bike so was to be a long turbo session. 2 and a half hours. Broken up into few sections so wasn't too bad. The last section of 10 X 45 seconds @120%, 45 sec recovery really finished the legs off. Good long sessino though and legs felt decent enough. Still using a little bit slower cadence on the turbo than I normally would and seems to be working well.

Sun 4th Jan

Short enough run session but main bit being 5 X 4 mins mod with 1 min recovery. Tougher than it sounded on paper and legs still a bit tired from the turbo the day before. Pace getting better though and heart rate starting to settle a bit.

Mon 5th Jan

First swim in a long while and it was short, very short. Pool heating was on the blink and I'm not really built for cold water so meant I didn't last long. Good to get back in tho, no ideas of times or pace. Was just happy to be back in the water.

Tues 6th Jan

Easy lunch time run in work. Started new job and have access to a shower. going to try do some of my runs over the lunch break but won't always be possible. Nice and easy and comfortable run.

Evening turbo. Bit of warm up then main bit of 5 X 4 mins above 110% with 2 mins recovery. These were tough. Tried to stay consistent and think I did, legs were burning after it but at the same time I reckon I had 1 or 2 more in me. Good days training.

Wed 7th Jan

Attempted morning swim, but the pool was proper cold today so didn't go near it! Bit of stretching and some time in the sauna.

Evening run. Stupidly left my watch turned on over night so had no battery when I went to start this run. Mainly easy with X 15 second sprints. Done with just a normal watch and route fo around 10km. Legs felt decent.

Thurs 8th Jan

Evening turbo session. 1 hr 15 easy with 5 X 20 sec sprints included. Hit around 580 watts for these. Long enough to hurt without being too long. I've hit new 90min, 120 min, 250 min, 2 min, 20 second and 30 second records in the last week or two so the bike is going in the right direction. If only the run would catch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jaysus, weeks off the bike, as a result of a [/i]bike[/i] accident and you're setting PR's in a gaggle of bike segments. Holy ****.

How's the arm holding up and how did it feel in the water?

Wasn't off the bike too long really, I done it once/twice with the cast but once I got that removed the bike was fairly decent. Mainly steady paced 1 hour stuff but didn't stop completely.

Arm felt bit funny in the water, no pain but sort of lacked a bit of power or something. I was more concentrating on trying to keep warm than my swimming to be honest, pool was Freezing! That should have been 150 min, don't think I could last 250 mins on the turbo, but you never know!

Fri 10th Jan

Nothing at all. Run was planned but felt like crap all day in work and the weather wasn't inspiring me to go running so I went to bed instead! A lot of sick people in the new job and think I caught what ever they where sharing.

Sat 11th Jan

Woke up feeling much better. Body felt good and tickly throat was completely gone. Plan was for a 2 and half hour turbo. Still not back on the roads, in the fracture clinic this Thurs so will get an idea then of when I can go. Turbo session was nice and broken up and the time actually went pretty quick. Main set being 3 X (7 mins 100%, 3 recovery) 10 easy, 3 X(7 mins big gear, 3 mins easy), 10 easy and then a last 3 x (7 mins 100%, 3 mins easy). The first 3 at FTP weren't too bad, got through them ok. Held around 58 for the BG work, lot lower than my usual 88/90, but felt in control. Legs were burning though but was going well. Suffered on the last 3 at FTP. Legs really giving out on the last one but a good session overall. Much prefer having stuff like this to do n the turbo rather than just spinning. New 150 min record too, by 1 whole watt!

Sun 12th Jan

Another good nights sleep and woke up feeling good again. Evening run, longest run in a while and was using a run/walk pattern. Covered just under 18km, pace was decent-ish. At times it was like running into a wall with the wind. But more importantly the heart rate was under control, very comfortable and easily dropped when I needed to. Legs felt good and actually felt like I was running. Even by the end the legs were no bother and I could have easily kept going. First good run in a long while.

Mon 13th Jan

Another swim before work. Thankfully they have fixed the heating in the pool so the water was nice. Took it easy, no looking at times and nothing longer than 200m at a go. Wrist felt good, swim fitness not completely gone but not as smooth as I was. Only issue with the wrist was at one end of the pool, where the end is just a sheer wall. Had to be careful putting my wrist against it so the turns here were slow, very slow. Good session, plenty of kicking, some pull work. Done 5 X 100's steady with 20 second recovery and felt decent.

Another plus over the last few days ahs been my weight. In an effort to get it down a bit I've cut a lot of crap from my diet. Eating much healthier lunches and fresher food. Still eating a fair bit but not snacking on sugary stuff or ice cream, my real weakness. For the first time ever I have been consistently under 60kg this week. 4 days in a row weighing in around 59.5kg. Another little drop to around 58kg and I think I would be in race shape. Would also help the w/kg numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Fairly certain my head weighs 60kg.

Tues 13th Jan

Easy 30 min run before work. done in the cold and dark but was an enjoyable run. Pace was ok too.

Evening session was a turbo. Last few turbos I got off thinking I might have had one or two more intervals in my legs, today I didn't. Legs were fired. 5 X 5 mins at above 110%, 2 mins recovery (holding around 260w for the mins and consistent enough across them.) Tough session but a good one, nice feeling getting through a tough session and getting off knowing you gave it your best.

Wed 14th Jan

Back in the pool again. Still no watch but bit better in the water today. Less pull buoy work but still plenty of kicking. Tried a 400m and got through it ok, kept it fairly easy and was pleased with rotation and position, just lacking the stamina at the moment but that will come.

Evening was a run. 45 mins easy with 5 X 15 seconds fast 45 sec recovery. This was a strange run. The heart rate monitor wouldn't work, stayed at 72 for the first 10 mins and then jumped around for a while. Never any problems with it on the turbo but starting to get a few with it on the run. Pace was decent and effort felt easy enough. Kept around 5 min kilometres and was pleased with it. Tried to stay out of the wind as much as possible, when it was behind me the pace jumped but running into it was like running into a wall. So there was a lot of running up a road then back down, then up the road beside it and back down to keep out of wind.

Thurs 15th Jan

nice easy turbo today. 1hr 30 mins with 5 X 20 second sprints included with a full recovery. Not as high numbers as last week but still around 550 watts per sprint. What was good though was the power for the easy sections, holding around 150w, this would usually be mid 140's so pleased with this. Also the work on lowering my really high cadence seems to be paying off. Majority of this was around 75rpm with some sections below 70rpm and it all felt comfortable and strong. An enjoyable 1hr 30 mins on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

joey100 wrote: »
    Thurs 15th Jan

nice easy turbo today. 1hr 30 mins with 5 X 20 second sprints included with a full recovery. Not as high numbers as last week but still around 550 watts per sprint. What was good though was the power for the easy sections, holding around 150w, this would usually be mid 140's so pleased with this. Also the work on lowering my really high cadence seems to be paying off. Majority of this was around 75rpm with some sections below 70rpm and it all felt comfortable and strong. An enjoyable 1hr 30 mins on the turbo.

Hi joey100, what is the reasoning behind lowering your cadence? i would have a fairly high cadence and find it hard enough to reduce it, is it more beneficial to spin <80 for tri? or is it something you are just experimenting with?

New coach has recommended it. Seems to be working well too. Feel stronger on the bike and more comfortable putting out higher power now. It hasn't fully transferred to out on the road yet, still tend to spin a bit higher there. My cadence would have been naturally high, probably around 90-95 rpm. I can comfortably go from between 67-90ish now. Find around 75rpm the best balance between power output, legs and heart rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

New coach has recommended it. Seems to be working well too. Feel stronger on the bike and more comfortable putting out higher power now. It hasn't fully transferred to out on the road yet, still tend to spin a bit higher there. My cadence would have been naturally high, probably around 90-95 rpm. I can comfortably go from between 67-90ish now. Find around 75rpm the best balance between power output, legs and heart rate.

I guess the important thing here is knowing what works for you personally. If I go below 80 for prolonged periods my aged knees don't like it. Trial and error :D

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I guess the important thing here is knowing what works for you personally. If I go below 80 for prolonged periods my aged knees don't like it. Trial and error :D

i think my knees are older than yours Paul:D but i might trial it on my long turbo on sunday and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Tues 13th Jan

Easy 30 min run before work. done in the cold and dark but was an enjoyable run. Pace was ok too.

Evening session was a turbo. Last few turbos I got off thinking I might have had one or two more intervals in my legs, today I didn't. Legs were fired. 5 X 5 mins at above 110%, 2 mins recovery (holding around 260w for the mins and consistent enough across them.) Tough session but a good one, nice feeling getting through a tough session and getting off knowing you gave it your best.

Wed 14th Jan

Back in the pool again. Still no watch but bit better in the water today. Less pull buoy work but still plenty of kicking. Tried a 400m and got through it ok, kept it fairly easy and was pleased with rotation and position, just lacking the stamina at the moment but that will come.

Evening was a run. 45 mins easy with 5 X 15 seconds fast 45 sec recovery. This was a strange run. The heart rate monitor wouldn't work, stayed at 72 for the first 10 mins and then jumped around for a while. Never any problems with it on the turbo but starting to get a few with it on the run. Pace was decent and effort felt easy enough. Kept around 5 min kilometres and was pleased with it. Tried to stay out of the wind as much as possible, when it was behind me the pace jumped but running into it was like running into a wall. So there was a lot of running up a road then back down, then up the road beside it and back down to keep out of wind.

Thurs 15th Jan

My 910xt has been acting up lately too. For the first km of a run I could be up on 170+. Seems to settle around the k mark. Opposite on turbo. Below 70 for first 10 mins.???

My 910xt has been acting up lately too. For the first km of a run I could be up on 170+. Seems to settle around the k mark. Opposite on turbo. Below 70 for first 10 mins.???

are you using the premium hr strap? i was having similar issues with mine and changed back to my old hr strap from my fr305 and haven't had a problem since

Seems to only be on the run for me. On the bike or turbo never seems to be a problem. Not even all the time on the run, every now and again. Will take a while to start reading and then jump up to around 180 before it seems to settle at the right reading. Usually sorted out by the end of my warm up but can be a pain.

Fri 16th Jan

Evening run. this would be an interesting one, 4 X 5 mins mod. My easy pace has dropped a bit but is back around where I would like it and this would be the first time running at this intensity since the fall. Legs were bit tired but that was me trying to make excuses early in the run. Surprised to see the pace at around 3.57 min kilometres for each interval. Last time I done this workout it was just over 4 min pace, so improvements are being made. Each one was paced well and looking at it after I ran pretty much the same exact distance for each. Pleased with this run and how the legs felt.

Sat 17th Jan

Busy weekend meant swapping around my long bike and long run. Today was to be the run, 1hr 20mins run/walk. Pace was about the same as last week but what was pleasing was that the heart rate was a fair bit lower. Another good run done.

Sun 18th Jan

Long turbo session. No real varying the workout today, just get on and pedal for 3 hours. Didn't mind this, thought it might be good training for the mind to just get through it. Usually struggle a bit with the longer turbo's, more mentally than physically so this would be the one to work on. Got through it grand. Moved the cadence around a bit and pushed on a little bit for the last 15 mins. Legs felt good throughout, except for a 15 min spell around 1.10 in but was a decent session. 148 average power for the 3 hours.

Mon 19th Jan

Pool before work. Brought the watch with me this time to get an idea of where I am. Session was 2 X (200m sw, 120m kick, 200m pull). Swims coming in around 3.22-3.25, pulls around 3.35-3.40. 120 m easy then, then into 6 x 100m off 2.00, trying to keep the pace consistent without pushing it. Came in from 1.38-1/40 for these. Never in danger of missing them but wasn't as comfortable as I would have like. Finished off with another 200m sw (around 3.30,) 120m kick and 200m pull (3.40). Lack of stamina showing towards the end but not bad for second week back in the pool. Didn't drop as far off as I thought I would so in a nice place to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How's the arm? Any pain?

It's not too bad, grand on the run and the bike. Feel it a bit every now and again swimming. But more when I'm turning at the wall than swimming. Speaking of injuries, hows the knee??

Mon 19th Jan PM

An easy run in the evening after work. It was freezing out so I was extra wrapped up for this. Two hats, gloves, full length bottoms. Best piece of gear I have though is a new gore tex jacket I got. Only need one t shirt under it, even in this weather and it keeps me nice and toasty. Nice easy 40 min run.

Tues 20th Jan

Evening turbo session. Finished the set in my plan and still had bit of time left so think I might have mis understood it so decided to add a bit more on. Good hard turbo session, legs were really feeling it after this one. Set was 5 mins @ 90%, 2.5 rec, 4 @ 100%, 2 rec, 3 @ 110%, 1.5 rec, 2 @ 120%, 1 rec and 1 @ 130% 30 sec recovery. Took a few mins rest and then done 4 @ above 90%, 2 rec, 3 @ above 100%, 1.5 rec, 2 @ above 110%, 1 rec, 1 @ above 120%, 30 rec and then 30 at above 130%. tough session by the end but did seta new 2 min power record. bike coming on well the last while and legs are working well with new lower cadence.

Wed 21st Jan

Swim before work. Still only getting back into swimming so just making up some stuff to do based on stuff I've done before. today was 2 x (2 x 100m, 200m,2 X 100m, 120m kick). After this I done the same set again except with a pull buoy for the swim bits and then a 12m easy swim after the kick. times a bit better n the water today. Once or twice I surprised myself with the times but by the end of the pull buoy work they were slipping. Definitely lacking fitness but seem to be lacking arm strength at the moment as well. Not too worried though, things are moving the right direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

but seem to be lacking arm strength at the moment as well.

it's almost like you broke something....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What jacket is it? How much and where?

Mossy, wrist feels grand now. Seems to be the whole arm that is tiring just from lack of use really! Was being really careful with it over the last while and trying to do as little as possible with it.

Pgibbo, It's an asics jacket. Can't think of the model name, got it in the asics outlet in Kildare Village. €100. Didn't go in to get it or anything, just seen it and took a chance. It feels pretty light but is really warm. Doesn't really overheat either.

http://www.bike24.com/p255339.html

That's the jacket there, in a rather fetching purple colour too.

• Advertisement

Wed 21st Jan PM

Run after work. At times this run felt like I was floating, very little effort, better pace than recently and heart rate nice and low. Pleased with how it went. Included 5 X 15 seconds fast, 45 recovery. These weren't as fast as I'd like, wasn't convinced how clear the path was so pulled it back a little bit. Legs a bit tired from the turbo the night before but overall a decent run.

Thurs 22nd Jan

1 hour easy turbo in the evening. Concentrated on keeping it easy and loose. Legs still feeling the Tuesday turbo but not too bad. Averaged around 149 watts for the hour so not too bad. Easy power is creeping up a bit.

Fri 23rd Jan

Little bit later to the pool this morning. Didn't bring the watch with me, felt like I had been chasing times the last few days so left it off today. Main set was 12 X 120m alt sw and pull. Again arms tired towards the end but focused on holding form and rotation. I feel good at the start of the sessions and at the moment I'm getting a little more out of it with every session. Just need to keep building on it now.

Main set was 12 X 12m alt sw and pull..

how long is your pool?

It's this new keyboard in work! the numbers don't seem to work! Pool is 20 m long, that should have been 120m's. Means the pull buoy is always at the right end!

It's this new keyboard in work! the numbers don't seem to work! Pool is 20 m long, that should have been 120m's. Means the pull buoy is always at the right end!

i was thinking you did more than a 144m set:)

Fri 23rd Jan PM

A run session in the evening after work. Bit of a warm up then into 5 X 4mins mod. Legs not the freshest they have ever been but held the pace at just under 4 min kilometres for these without ever feeling under huge pressure. Heart rate was nice and steady except for the second last one that had a long gradual climb but other than that all good.

Sat 24th Jan

2 hours turbo. 1hr easy, 30 mins tempo, 30 mins easy. Tried to keep the first easy easy knowing that I would have a tempo section coming up. Legs felt better today and tempo section was good. Settled into it well and held it at the higher end of my tempo zone. Good session and not too long spent on the turbo. Bit tender from all the turbo I've done over the last 2 months, can't wait to get back onto the road!

Sun 25th Jan

Club winter TT league round 1. Last years time for this course was 9.51 so was hoping to go faster than this. Conditions weren't ideal with a bit of a head wind for most of the course. Done a bit of a warm up that was my usual turbo warm up transferred out onto the road and legs felt much better. Course was about 6.7km so plan was to hold it high but try not to blow up on one or two of the hills. Think I paced it well, cadence still a little bit high but coming down. Power was 259 watts (weighed in just under 60kilos the morning of the race so around 4.3 watts/kg), time was 9.54 and average spend just under 40kmph. First on the day but it will get tougher as the other lads get back into it. Pleased with how it went and plenty to build on for the rest of the season.

Mon 26th Jan

Pool before work but only a short enough one. The work is the pool is starting again! 3 X 120m swim, 3 X 120m pull. 4 X 60m kick and 4 X 60m swim. Felt decent in the water this morning. Legs feeling better after an easy enough Sunday with no real long run. All the 120m swim under 2 mins, will take bit of getting used to times over 120m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

"First on the day but it will get tougher as the other lads get back into it."

I'm not sure there's anyone out there who will be challenging you. Last years winner is injured and looking after timekeeping ;-)

There's another 3 races to come, yourself and Paddy could be back in form by then. I'll have to try rack up the early races before you two get back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Chatting to Ken tonight he said he was holding back so he didn't mess up his summer TT handicap :)

JOey you hear any more about ocean lava? Year i did it i got answers to any emails within 10 minutes of sending them. this year, website isn't getting updated, nor is facebook (although i'm not on facebook so might not be doing it right). Sent an enail asking about getting from PDC to arecife on race morning and not got a peep back.

Starting to wonder is it going ahead this year

• Advertisement

Was talking to them before Christmas about the race maps, heard back quick enough that they would be updated early January. Last I checked they hadn't been. I would say they are going ahead seen as it's the Spanish long distance championship race but I get the impression they are promoting the new races more than this one. Even if the reply to me they mentioned the other races if I was interested in doing them.

Advertisement