Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it was only the Spanish LDC last year though, there was no half distance then, the half was replaced by something between a half and a full. i don't think it's the championship race this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep, your right. Got mixed up there. Looking on the site now, no new info there at all. Looks like only 15/16 singed up across the Oly and the half. doesn't look too good at this moment but that's not too say it won't be pulled together.

Mon 26th Jan PM

Evening run. 45 mins easy. One of them rare runs when everything seems to just click. Pace was good, heart rate very good and felt so so comfortable. Almost makes running enjoyable.

Tues 27th Jan

Evening turbo. Main set being 2 X(1@120%, 2@110%, 3@100% , 2@110%,1@120%, 10 mins easy). For the first one I just sort of got stuck into it and tried to power my way through it. Didn't work the best and each interval started strong and faded a bit towards the end. The second one was much better, tried to stay in control and keep the power steady. Legs felt much better and everything felt a lot more controlled and smooth than the first one. power was pretty much the exact same for the intervals so some good learning there. I don't need to try power my way through the high % intervals. It's as much about staying in control and keeping it smooth.

Wed 28th Jan

Early morning swim. Main set being 10 X 60m pull (40m fist, 20m pull) +10 seconds and then 10 X 60m swim. Times were consistent, if anything they came down a bit towards the end. Gasping a little bit towards the end of the 10 X 60m swim but like the bike last night concentrated on keeping it smooth and controlled. Pace improved a tiny bit and felt decent-ish in the water. fighting it a bit but times were consistent along with effort.

Wed 29th PM

Another easy run with 5 30 second builds in it. Again pace and heart rate good, another enjoyable run even if it did snow for most of it.

Thurs 30th Jan

Plan was for an hour turbo easy, completely forgot today was the tasting day for the wedding and was reminded in the morning before work. Meant I would have no chance of getting the session done. Pity too cos the last while I have been training well and don't like missing sessions. Dinner was lovely though, 2 starters, 2 soups, 3 main courses and 3 desserts mean that operation sub 60kg has taken a blow!

Fri 31st Jan

Early morning swim. Had my usual bowl of porridge in the morning and around 10 mins after realised I was still stuffed from last night's dinner. Wasn't particularly looking forward to the swim because of it but surprised at how I was moving in the water. Plan was for 4 X 120m sw, 120m pull, 80m kick. Tried to get a bit faster across the swims and concentrate on stroke and body rotation for the pull bits. 120m splits for swim were 1.54, 1.50,1.48,1.47. Was feeling decent-ish in the water and happy with the times. So after remembering Kurt going sub 6 for the 400m I decided to try a bit of a TT. Only 200m though, stamina not there for a flat out 400m yet but came in on 3.03 so pretty happy. Kept it hard but steady for the majority and pushed on in the last 60m. Pleased with it based on where I am now and how much time I've had out of the water but still plenty to work on if I want to aim for a sub 6 400m.

nice swimming there given your break(no pun intended). would have little doubt you'll get the sub 6

• Advertisement

Cheers Mossy, well done on the FTP test too, seem to be flying on the bike! I'm usually a week or two behind you in training plans so I keep an eye on yours to see what's coming up, probably means a FTP test for me soon too, have to get ready to embrace the pain!

joey100 wrote: »
    Cheers Mossy, well done on the FTP test too, seem to be flying on the bike! I'm usually a week or two behind you in training plans so I keep an eye on yours to see what's coming up, probably means a FTP test for me soon too, have to get ready to embrace the pain!

not been working with power that long, but already started to figure out if the 110 to 120% sessions start to feel that little bit less painful, and easy spinning is putting you higher in your easy range, you can expect an ftp test..:)

Fri30st Jan PM

Evening run session. Bit of a warm up then main set of 6 X 4 mins mod with 1 min recovery. Last few weeks this has been coming in just under 4 min kilometre pace. Tonight was tough, the last two were hard. 1 min recoveries just flew by but kept the pace just under the 4 min mark for each of them. Big difference between last weeks session of 5 of these compared to tonight but glad it's done and a good run session in the bank.

Sat 31st Jan

Was having my stag tonight so was up early to get the planned cycle done. The weather meant it was another long turbo, 3 hours done. That's nearly 2 months of 3 cycles a week on the turbo. Getting pretty bored of it now! Struggled a bit meantally during the 2nd hour and was close to just finishing after the 2nd hour was done but finished and a new 3hr record too.

Sun 1st Feb

Planned day off and needed it. Too much drunk on Sat night and meant most of Sunday was spent feeling sorry for myself and nearly getting sick. Great night though and last night drinking until the wedding itself. 4/5 weeks of quality training needed between now and then.

Mon 2nd Feb

Still not feeling 100% but back into it. Swimming session in the afternoon. Had the day off work but drive into the pool anyway and found out I'd forgotten my watch. Anyway session was done and actually felt decent in the water. Couldn't push it too hard though, my stomach didn't like that. When I was getting out the pool was packed. Never seen the pool so busy. I'm usually the only one in it.

Evening was another run session. 45 mins easy. Again stomach wouldn't have let me do much more anyway but pace and heart rate were good so pleased with how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Sweet jesus, 3 hours on the turbo. . I don't know what would break first, my head or my hole.

It was tough Ray, and remember the way I said you get used to that saddle, I'm not sure you do. Would have been happy to bin it after that session!

Tues 3rd Feb

Tough turbo session. Knew looking at the plan it was going ot be tough but wasn't expecting it to be as tough as it was. This combined with me still not being back to 100% from the weekend made this one of the toughest turbo sessions I think I have ever done. Bit of a warm up then into 2 X ( 1@120%,2@110%,3@100%,4@90%,3@100%,2@110%,1@120%). It was tough, kept the power where it was needed but not by much. Legs were really feeling it at the end too. New 1hr record though so another good session.

Wed 4th Feb

Morning swim. Lots of short intervals using pull and swim. Felt decent again in the water, starting to get a bit of a feel back for it and legs felt ok after the tough turbo session. Not too bad a session really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

It was tough Ray, and remember the way I said you get used to that saddle, I'm not sure you do. Would have been happy to bin it after that session!

TBH the saddle got zero use last year and I have only done a couple of 1hr sessions on it in the last couple of weeks. I will give it some time and see how goes. The old saddle is still there should I need it.

Your 3hr turbo session also had me thinking what it would be like to do an IM distance turbo. Mental torture I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've done a couple of 3hr turbos and they're not too bad if (a) you structure them so that there's a bit of variety, and (b) you have a distraction to keep you from getting bored but still allows you to concentrate on what you should be doing.

I usually stick on a DVD in the background - comedy and music ones are good as you can still enjoy them without looking at the screen. That said I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad when I wasn't on the turbo!!

I've been sticking on triathlon stuff from youtube the last while. Some of it is very American and all about the back story. Watched the London Olympics race again the weekend and it was good. Usually would have some structure on a 3hr turbo but for me that session was as much about working on mental side as physical (Part of the reason I was happy to stick with a 3hr easy session than ask the coach for something to do). Knew I would struggle to get through it but that's a bit of what I was hoping for. At least now in a race I can just say to myself, well at least I don't have another 2 hours to done on the turbo!!

Wed 4th Feb

45 easy run with 5 X 20 seconds fast, 40 recovery. Not too bad for these, except for the second one when I was starting to get fast and someone stepped out of their front gate in front of me. Other than that some decent times and even got into the 2 min kilometre mark.

Thurs 5th Feb

Evening turbo session. 1hr 10 mins including 5 X 20 second sprints. Easy power was a bit higher again and tried to really push it for the sprints. Set new 5,10,20 and 30 second power records so moving the right way. First 2 were good, 3rd died a bit and picked it up for the last 2 again. Good session on the bike.

Fri 6th Feb

Early morning swim. I've taken to not wearing the watch to the pool for a while until my fitness comes back a bit more. Try to push too much to match the times I had a few months back. Lots of 100's sw and pull today with some kick. Good position and moving well in the water. Nice run session this evening, 2 mins on, 2 mins off trying to hold under 3.45 min pace.

So a tough two days training!

Fri 6th Feb PM

The run session that stood out when I looked at the weeks plan. Main bit was for 2 X 2mins below 3.45 pace with 2 mins recovery. Was confident enough I oculd hit all these so plan was to aim lower but keeping them all consistent. Came in at sub 3.35 pace for all of these. Last two were tough, but kept the pace consistent. 2 mins recovery is a good recovery and I used every second of it. A good run session done.

Sat 7th Feb

Spent the morning and afternoon running around doing a few bits and pieces so bike session was going to be on the turbo in the evening and it looked like a tough one. Main bits being 20 mins@90%, 10mins rest 20 mins @95%. Then a section of 10 X 1 min above 110% 1 min recoveries and another section of 10 X 10 second sprints with 50 second recovery. Legs still abit tender from the fast running the night before and felt it during this. By the last section of sprints I was struggling a bit but kept it going. I though Tuesday was a tough session but I think this was up there with it. New 90 min, 2hr and 2hr 30 mins records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good to see you are coming back strong Joey!

What races are you lining up this year?

Cheers Kurt, at the moment it looks like Carlow in May, was looking at Athy sprint but I'll wait a bit closer to enter. Then it looks like Caroline Kearney and Dublin in August so not too busy a year. Dublin will be the main goal, be nice to do well in Carlow too. Over the last 2 years I've tended to do better at the start of the season and fade off so will be trying to keep it all going until Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Cheers Kurt, at the moment it looks like Carlow in May, was looking at Athy sprint but I'll wait a bit closer to enter. Then it looks like Caroline Kearney and Dublin in August so not too busy a year. Dublin will be the main goal, be nice to do well in Carlow too. Over the last 2 years I've tended to do better at the start of the season and fade off so will be trying to keep it all going until Dublin.

Ah great stuff, I'll catch up with you at Carlow so, we've a large gang from our club going as its a local race.

Giving Tri the Hook a miss I see ;):D

Yep, even though I won a free entry. It's the day before Dublin so wouldn't have been on the cards anyway but after last year no chance! don't know how they keep getting let run that race! Carlow will be an interesting one, first time race so will interesting to see who shows up. From looking the bike course is 10km of a gradual climb then turn and descend the whole way back. Good chance for you to try out that new bike! fingers crossed the swim won't be cut short!

Sun 8th Feb

Long run using run/walk. Legs were tired enough for this but pace and heart rate were decent so happy with how it went. Feeling a lot better about my running over the last few weeks and overall training is on the up. About 16km done.

Mon 9th Feb

Nice recovery week planned and it was well timed. Last few weeks have been building and last week was tough enough. Met with the coach for the first time and once we worked out some training around the wedding and moving house got a bit of a plan together for the rest of the season. Few changes to the races I'll be doing, looking at a pool sprint in April (Joey Hannon if I can get an entry), Carlow in May, Crooked lake in June, possibly a Pulse Aquathon in June, Caroline Kearney in August and then peaking in Dublin late August. Probably get one more race in after this but that will be picked closer to it. A plan for the season and good to see how the training will take shape coming up to Dublin. Good to see as well that the coach doesn't seem to be thinking of this as a one season deal and was talking about training for next winter. Also talked about some weaknesses at the moment and how we will try to get over them. If I can hit the targets we talked about this season by Dublin I'd be pretty happy!

• Advertisement

Tues 10th Feb

One hour easy turbo. From the start of this I didn't feel great, legs were sluggish and never really woke up. Kept it nice and easy but it was a slog to get the hour done. Legs didn't feel good once during this spin.

Wed 11th Feb

Swim before work. Mix of 100's and 50's, with the pool I swim in these were changed to 120's and 80's. Couple of fast 40's, still fighting the water a bit for these but getting there.

Evening run. 35 mins easy. Again legs not great at the start but they did wake up for this session and it felt so easy. Heart rate in the middle of the zone and pace was higher than it has been recently. Averaged around low 4.50s for pace and it felt so easy. This run made up for how I felt on the bike on Tuesday!

Seems to be one step forward 4 steps back this season so far....

Training was ticking along nicely and was enjoying the needed recovery week and looking forward to a FTP test coming up on the bike. Had been working hard on it so was hoping for some decent enough improvements. Finally got out on the road bike for a spin too for the first time since I came off the bike, corners a bit slower than usual but all good really. Sunday wasn't feeling great and with the lashing rain I skipped the run. Monday woke up not feeling great at all, took the day of work but felt worse as it went on. Chest was getting tight to and had a feeling I was in for a chest infection. Tuesday went to the doctor, not sure what's wrong with me but I have to go have a chest xray to try find out. Done a short easy turbo last night, heart rate a bit higher than normal but perceived effort was fairly high for what should have been easy enough. So not much more will be happening until I get the xray and get an idea of whats up with me, so be an easy week or two I'd say.

shame, but better now than june.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hope it's nothing serious. Fingers crossed

So a week off completely really, chest xray done and nothing showing up on it. Chest did get better as week went on though, not as tight and just felt better in general. Sat headed out for a short run just to see how it was, pace and heart rate around where they should be but it did jump a bit when the effort increased. Chest a bit tight after it but felt ok running, when I was taking it easy anyway. Sunday was a 2 hour cycle outside, couldn't face the turbo so managed to get out and miss all the rain. Felt good on the bike, legs felt strong and chest was grand. Heart rate again was good but jumped a bit when the effort goes up. It's when this happens that it starts to feel tight. In the pool this morning for a short enough swim, good to be back in the water. Again when the effort is easy everything is comfortable. Feel better though for doing some type of training though, another short run tonight and I'll see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Is it pre-wedding nerves? :)

Between that and hassle with the house stress was talked about. Pretty sure myself it is a chest infection but we will see. Probably not the worst time to get it with nearly 2 weeks away coming up anyway. Still plenty of time to Dublin!

Tuesday 24th Feb

Turbo session just to check out the heart rate really. Warm up then 5 X 1 mins high cadence 1 min easy. Then into 5 X 5 above 85% with 2 mins easy. Heart rate was where it usually would be and tried 2 at a slightly higher cadence (82rpm) and 3 at my new more normal cadence (around 73/74). felt a lot more comfortable at the new cadence and heart rate was a bit lower too. Looked back on my easy weekend spin on garmin too and my average cadence was the low 70's so seems to be working. Felt a little bit off though thru the session, don't know if this was because of a week off and missing a bit of sharpness or if it's still my chest.

Wed 25th Feb

Early morning swim. Still a bit of technique there but at times found I was gasping a bit. Fitness will come back though. At times I was moving well and nice and high in the water and other times felt like I was swimming through muck. Getting there though. Chest better again.

This page was a good bit back. So chest flared up a bit again after the last bit of training so just took some time off. That with the wedding and honeymoon mean I haven't done a whole lot in March. Kept the running up, would normally be the one I'd cut out but have been making some improvements in it and didn't want them to disappear. Wasn't too worried about the bike, haven't had any real time off the bike in the last year and a half so was nice to have a bit of a rest from it, probably not the best timing but nothing I could do about that. Swim is a tough one, up to December I was probably in my best ever swim shape but I could probably count on my two hands how many times I;ve been in the pool since I came off the bike. But it will come back, plenty of time before my A race.

Today was first spin on the bike in a while, great day to be out and happy to be back on the bike. Power was around where it should be and has been. A bit jumpy though and was pushing too hard on the hills. Took a spin out to where we are buying our house and found a few nice hills there so will be some good cycling there. 3 hours and around 80km done. Just glad to be back out.

House is coming along and gas and electricity should be fully connected next week with the snag list done the week after so fingers crossed be in by the end of April. Again not great timing, by itself not a big deal but after a broken wrist, chest infection, wedding and honeymoon the time off training is adding up.

First race of the season is 2 weeks today, laois sprint. Signed up for it mainly to see how I was after the winter, last few years I've started the season strong and faded a bit as it went on. Talked with the coach and decided on this one to try a new way of prepping for the race. I suppose when I signed up too, secretly I thought I could do well in it. Looking at past results I was hoping for a top 5 iwth a top 3 if I had a good day. Now I'm going to go and enjoy it, try not to drown on the swim and see if I can still run a sub 20 off a decent bike. Carlow in 6/7 weeks is after this but that gives me a bit of time to get back going so hopefully by then I'll be back to some kind of normality and have a bit of speed back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Glad to see you back and it and Congrats!

Advertisement