Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, I echo pointer's sentiments! Congrats!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

welcome back joey, and congrats!!

have you heard anything back from ocean lava?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Nothing back at all mossy, think they have updated their website though. Realistically not going to happen this year, with the moving date of the house being pushed back and back and having to kit it out (had to buy a hoover yesterday, they are crazy money!!) more than likely not going to be a runner this year.

Have you looked at the race in tenerife??

http://teidextreme.com/index.php/en/

Looks like a very very tough bike.

Sun 22nd March

Just an easy 45 min run. For the last 10 days every run had been on a treadmill so nice to be running outside again. Pleased enough with pace, felt easy and even though heart rate was a bit jumpy overall wasn't too bad.

Mon 23rd March

Another easy run, this time 30 mins. Heart rate more settled than Sunday for the same pace so pleased with that.

Tues 24th March

FTP test. Had one of these scheduled just when I got the chest infection and had to be cancelled. Was feeling good going into that one. Not so much going into this one. Pretty much one full month off the bike meant I knew I wouldn't be hitting the numbers I wanted to. Started well, 5 min power was around 294 watts, 20 watt improvement on the last test so was feeling good going into the 20 min TT, feeling good in my head that I could hit soe good numbers, not so much in the body! 20 min tt started well, holding where I wanted to be for the first 8/9 mins and then the wheels came off. Had to stop to stop myself getting sick, and then started again. For the last 10 mins the power just seemed to steadily fall. Ended up with pretty much the same power as my last FTP test in November (about half a watt lower) so pretty much the same FTP.

After a bit of a stop start year so far it's not too bad. Was hoping for higher, still just under the 4w/kg mark. And a bit off where I would like to be. Bit annoyed with the way I crumbled a bit on the bike once it started to get tough. Really struggled to keep it going. Looking at it from my point of view, I'd say the power is in the legs to be hitting 4w/kg but just not the full endurance I need to get there. Some of that will come with just being back on the bike so hopefully I'll see some improvements over the next few weeks. Current FTP is 228, weight is around 60kg. Aiming for around 260-270 watts for Dublin with the same weight. A nice jump so the work will start now!!

joey100 wrote: »
    Nothing back at all mossy, think they have updated their website though. Realistically not going to happen this year, with the moving date of the house being pushed back and back and having to kit it out (had to buy a hoover yesterday, they are crazy money!!) more than likely not going to be a runner this year.

Have you looked at the race in tenerife??

http://teidextreme.com/index.php/en/

Looks like a very very tough bike.

cheers Joey

not really looking at other races, only really looking at this as good chance i was going to be there while it was on anyway for a family holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Sun 22nd MarchI'd say the power is in the legs to be hitting 4w/kg but just not the full endurance I need to get there.

Some of that will come with just being back on the bike so hopefully I'll see some improvements over the next few weeks. Current FTP is 228, weight is around 60kg. Aiming for around 260-270 watts for Dublin with the same weight.

I don't think that will be too much trouble for you. That will see you up at 4/5+ w/kg - if you ever go back cycle racing, with those figures you should do pretty well!

Might give it a go again next year, was never going to have the time for it this year, and I'm a bit of a chicken in a big group like that but we will see over the winter.

Wed 25th March

First big training day in a while. Up early and out to the pool. This was not pretty. Stroke felt ok, body rotation and timing a bit out but that will come with more time in the pool. Didn't take a watch with me because it would depress me to see how slow I've gotten. Enjoyed the swim though. Around 50 mins done.

Morning/afternoon cycle. Out for an easy spin on the bike. Went out by the house again and found a few new hills. I always thought county Dublin was flat, seems to be some nice short steep enough hills. Battery for DI2 died after about an hour, my own fault forgot to charge it the night before. Was probably a good thing though, meant I was stuck in the small ring on the front for the whole spin. Meant I kept it nice and easy the whole time. Around 2hr 45 mins one.

Evening easy run. Nice short run in the evening. Heart rate a bit high for the effort and was jumpy but was a nice comfortable run. Was slow but pleased with how easy the pace felt, my ma even said it didn't look like I was running at all when I got home so must have kept it easy!

Thurs 26th March

Only a turbo on the plan today. Main bit being 4 X (4 @ 110%, 3 rec). Didn't think this looked too bad on paper, 110% is around 250 watts and held 290 for 5 mins on Tuesday so thought this shouldbe doable. A lot harder than it looked on paper. Couldn't really settle into them and found the power was a bit jumpy, struggled to keep it around 250 was either up high 260's or low 240's. Done them all anyway and glad to do them but when I see Kurt and Mossy doing the 4 mins @120% I'm not looking forward to it!

Fri 27th March

Another morning swim. Main set being 10 X 100m trying to keep these as consistent as possible with 15 secs recovery. These all came in pretty much bang on 1.40, not as easy as in the past but not under huge pressure either. Happy enough with the session.

evening session was a run. 20 mins easy, 15 steady, 5 mod, 5 easy. Pace for the mod and steady wasn't too far off where they would normally be but did drift out a bit as the effort went on. Just missing that sharpness that comes with a few weeks solid training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fri 27th March
    Main set being 10 X 100m trying to keep these as consistent as possible with 15 secs recovery. These all came in pretty much bang on 1.40, not as easy as in the past but not under huge pressure either. Happy enough with the session.

I would have expected a bigger drop-off than that Joe, given the past couple of months. 10 hitting 1:40 right now? Good base to be at- bodes well for race season.

Cheers Kurt, yeah was happy enough with the times. Not too bad and something to work on. Plan was to go sub 6 400m this year, that's a while off now but good to have targets!

• Advertisement

Sat 28th March

First brick session in a long while. Plan was for 2.5 hours on the bike, 1 hr easy then 3 X (20@90%, 10 easy). Decided that this would be a better session to do on the turbo than on the road. Thought it would need a more honest effort and be tougher overall all. The 20 mins @90% hurt more than they should have but it has been a good week for biking with 3 days in a row midweek including an FTP test. Power dropped by a few watts for the last one but was still just above where it was meant to be.

Straight out for a run after this, 5 steady, 10 easy. Legs felt awful for the first 700/800m, but the pace was good and it was into a decent headwind. Once the legs woke up it wasn't too bad. The pace for the 10 easy was a bit faster than over the last while so a good session overall.

definitely harder on the turbo joey, with you there. had 3*30 today and holding the watts on the turbo was a good workout.

No hiding on the turbo alright, a good honest effort.

Sun 29th March

Went out for a few drinks on the Saturday night and was feeling the after effects of it for most of the day Sunday. Finally got myself out and running early evening. Didn't feel great at the start but as it went on and I got into it felt much better. Average pace just over 5 min kilometres, not bad considering 2 uphill kilometres had me at nearly 5.20's. Heart rate nice and low again and the best thing was I managed to miss all the rain. 1hr 10 mins run.

Mon 30th March

So back in work after the wedding and back to my very early morning swims. Felt better in the water today, every now and again got the feeling that I was actually starting to move in the water. Main set was 5 X 120m alt swim and pull, swims came in around 2.00 with pulls around 2.10. Then was 4 X 60m fast, still don't have that sharp top end speed yet but these were pretty much consistently 54 seconds. Good swim session done.

Mon 30th March PM

Evening run. Not too bad, only 30 mins easy. Well wouldn't have been too bad apart from the wind. Turned a corner once or twice and had to stop because it was like I ran into a wall. Pace not really a good guide on a run like this but pleased with where heart rate was and perceived effort.

Tues 31st March

Evening turbo. Main set being 10 X 2 mins at 110% 1 min recovery. The plan for the race at the weekend is to race the bike at 100%, so think some of the thinking behind this session was to get the legs used to working above this so that Saturdays effort doesn't feel as bad. This was tough but do-able. Never in danger of needing to stop but tough on the legs.

Wed 1st April

Morning swim session. Main set being 2 sets of 10 X 60m, working on pull mainly. Again feeling better in the water but still missing the endurance for longer sets. The plan for Saturdays race is to draft as much as I can for as long as I can in the swim. Normally wouldn't mind leading out a pool swim but won't be volunteering for it this weekend.

Wed 1st April PM

Evening run. Again managed to miss all the rain, getting good at avoiding it now. This was a bit of a change to last weeks run with 10 mins easy, 20 steady, 5 mod and 5 easy. Pace couldn't really be used again because of the wind at times but overall was pleased with it. Pleased with how relatively comfortable it felt too, legs felt strong and never under huge pressure. Have a day off today where I will get my stuff together and then a short session in swim,bike and run on Friday and then the race on Saturday.

ah first race of the season. duathlons just don't feed the hunger. best of luck on Saturday joey, will be watching with interest to see how this one goes for you

Cheers Mossy, with everything this year haven't even done a duathlon. This will be first race of the year in anything. Not expecting great things with where I am now but will give me an idea of what to work on and hopefully get me better prepared for Carlow sprint in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The plan for Saturdays race is to draft as much as I can for as long as I can in the swim. Normally wouldn't mind leading out a pool swim but won't be volunteering for it this weekend.

We're in the same lane for this.

It won't be me leading out the lane either.:)

I just seen that and knew my plan was ruined! Hopefully we have a proper fish in the lane we can both draft off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck at the weekend joey & zico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thankfully I'm not in your lane. I'll be the fat bloke in a different lane, there won't be too many of us fatties in the last wave.

It's going to be a long wait around, transition closes at 8.15 and our race isn't off until 12.45. Going to bring a book or something with me I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Best of luck Joe - your last pool tri didn't turn out too bad at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck

Good luck this weekend!! And I'll wish griffin good luck here too since he doesn't really keep a log anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks DD, but I'm out, chest infection and a bad one at that. Best of luck to Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

zico10 wrote: »
    We're in the same lane for this.

It won't be me leading out the lane either.:)
    I just seen that and knew my plan was ruined! Hopefully we have a proper fish in the lane we can both draft off!

Enjoy Lads. Looks like the weather will be on your side anyway.

Thurs 2nd April

Rest day, completely off.

Fri 3rd April

Short swim in the morning with 5 X 100 fast, 30 seconds recovery. These came in at 1.29 for all of them.
    Afternoon bike session with 5 X 1 min @110% and 1 recovery. Took a bit for legs to get going but was grand once they did.
    Straight off the bike into 4 mins easy run then 6 X 30 seconds fast, 30 easy. These came in aroudn 3.35 min kilometre pace without feeling too pushed.

Sat 4th April

So racked and set up and the long wait began. Was a really long wait, no where to really watch earlier waves and no where to really sit. Took it easy anyway and then was my turn,

Swim 13.07

Put myself far too far down the lane for this. Should have went 2nd or third but went near the back. Had my watch set for 5 min intervals, first one went and gave it two lengths and then tried to push on. Couldn't get through the people in front of me though. Stuck in the same position for the whole swim, hard to judge the pace being where I was but felt easy and not that fast. The time includes the run to T1, got out of the water in around 12.25.

T1 0.50

Was a bit annoyed with the pace of the swim and got out of the pool quick and must have passed around 5/6 people into T1. Got out nice and quick too.

Bike 33.15

Need to work on my mounts, bit of faffing around a bit and lost few easy seconds. Onto the bike and staright into traffic. Got stuck beind cars on the very first junction. Finally got moving and settled into my planned pace. Legs felt good and had to pull it back a bit on the uphills not to go too far into the red. Passed a junior going uphill and worked a bit to pull away from him. Few narrow roads along the course and twice had a tractor coming down them, few nervous moments there and some un-necessary braking. About 3km to T2, I pushed it a bit to try stretch out a gap. Got a bit of one but was for nothing, turned onto the road to T2, had a jeep overtake me then indicate left to find a parking spot, while a golf pulled alongside me so I was pretty much stuck. Lost bit of time here too. Got into T2 and need to work on my dismounts too, more easy time lost.

T2 0.53

Not too bad, had to wipe my feet to get rid of the plastic from the astro turf but glad I did.

Run 19.34

Knew the course was a gradual uphill for half of it then downhill back to finish. Watch lost satelittes and ran by feel for the first 500m, pace was tough but heart rate wasn't too high and legs felt decent. Wasn't gaining on person in front and pulled away a bit from person behind. got to the turn around and had arond 20 seconds on the person behind me. Pushed it a bit coming back. I usually struggle on the 3rd kilometre, it's usually when I lose the head a bit and start to doubt if I can keep the pace up. Got through it ok this time, and this was the most positive bit of the whole race for me. Finished strong and was happy with the time I ran for where I am.

1.07.40 and 5th overall.

Overall happy enough with the race. It was a fiar reflection on where I am now and shows there is still work to do. Most pleased with the run, suffered better than I ever have and kept the head when I would usually lose it. Not too happy with the swim though, should have put myself further up the lane and pushed on a bit. Got stuck and could never make it up to the front.

The race itself I wouldn't be too keen on. It's a long wait around with a lot of traffic when you do get going. But it was a good atmosphere and if it had of been quieter it would have been a good course. So on with the training, plenty more to do!

Sunday 7th April

An easy 2 hour cycle. Took a spin out to the phoenix park and done a few laps of the DCT course. Going to be my A race so no harm getting used to the course. Lovely day for a spin and legs felt surprisingly fresh.

Mon 8th April

Early morning swim. Need to keep up with my time in the water. Wasn't in too long today but just keeping the structure going. Felt ok in the water, no watch, swam by feel. Few fast lengths thrown in but mainly easy and concentrating on my stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Put myself far too far down the lane for this. Should have went 2nd or third but went near the back. Had my watch set for 5 min intervals, first one went and gave it two lengths and then tried to push on. Couldn't get through the people in front of me though. Stuck in the same position for the whole swim, hard to judge the pace being where I was but felt easy and not that fast. The time includes the run to T1, got out of the water in around 12.25.

Didn't I try to tell you?

• Advertisement

Congrats! Fantastic day for you, even if the swim was frustrating. But now you know!! :)

Advertisement