Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Tues 11th August

Turbo session in the evening. Wasn't sure how this would go, legs were still bit tired after the race. Plan was 5 X 4 mins @95%, 1 easy. Got through with no real problems, legs tired but able to get through alright. Surprised with the power in them even though they were tired. Aiming for 235w and held at least 242 for each interval. Good session.

Wed 12th Aug

Morning swim. Bit of a warm up then into 8 X 100m alt fast/easy. Fasts were 1.24, 1.25, 1.25, 1.27 easys came in at 1.33, 1.35,1.37,1.32. Pleased with these. Fastest 100 in this pool. Easys were grand, on the last one concentrated on stroke and worked well, felt very easy and was surprised with the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

easy is c1.33 - thats a v good easy pace - whats the 400m TT time now or do you bother with testing like that?

Cheers Md, was plenty of rest between them so wouldn't put it down as my proper easy pace, I'd say that's closer to 1.37. Last 400 I done was part of a 4 X 400 set, off 7.00, think fastest was around 6.07, not sure if I would go faster in standalone 400m, maybe a few seconds. Swimming has seen a bit of a jump the last few weeks alright, starting to feel good in the water.

Wed 12th August

Evening run. Same session as Mon, legs felt grand tonight, heart rate grand too. Easy pace around 4.35 and the 10 mins @ race pace coming in around 3.50 pace. Legs felt good, 10 mins @ race pace finished on an uphill section so really pushed it here and got the pace below the 3.50 mark. Decent session.

Signed up already for my first race for next year, Outlaw half in Nottingham, in June. Second half distance race but first I will have trained for properly, looking forward to it. Not sure of plans for the rest of the season but if I can make the national Olympic distance championships too that would be great, other than that might look at another half in Ireland late in the season.

Thurs 13th August

Just an easy 45 mins recovery on the turbo, had to concentrate to keep the power from sneaking up. Legs feeling good, still a bit of the race left in them but nothing major.

Fri 14th August

Rest day. Needed this, baby sitting a friends dog for the next while so she arrived today so was good to be able to take her out for a walk and let her settle without worrying about getting training in.

Sat 15th August

Short brick sessoin, 30 mins easy on the bike, 15 @ aroudn 240 watts and 30 easy. Nice short sessoin on the bike, legs starting to feel properly back to normal. Great morning on the bike, lovely out and wasn't too busy. Straight off the bike into 5 steady, 10 easy run. Steady came in aroudn 4 min kilometres and easy around 4.35 ish. Legs took a while to get going on the run and need to work on not setting out too fast. Habit is to push it too hard at the start.

Sun 16th August

Easy 40 mins run. At times pace was great and heart rate right down, other times heart rate rose quickly and pace dropped. Hard to know about this run, but another session done.

Mon 17th August

Early morning swim. Bit of a warm up then into main set 120m's alt swim and pull. No watch this morning, these were all swam steady and felt comfortable. Moving well in the water the last while and seems to be continuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What kind of dog are you baby sitting? :)

She is a glen of imall terrier Dory, meant to be a pure bread according to the owners but I'm not so sure! Very very long, reminds me of the dragon/dog from the never ending story! Nice dog though, starting to get used to us and is no real hassle!

Mon 17th August

Evening run, just 30 mins easy. Finally a decent run, heart rate right in middle of easy zone and pace was 4.25. PLeased with this, hopefully it's a sign of things to come this week.

New wetsuit arrived yesterday, when I seen it in the box I wasn't sure it would fit, it's a size XS, but it does, pretty well too. Lot more flexible than my last suit, going to give it a go in the pool tomorrow just to see how I get on. Lots of fancy looking things on the arms and legs but more interested in how flexible it is and comfortable. We will see tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What did you go for Joey - a ZeroD?

Yep got one of the zerod on sale from sports pursuit. Seems to be a decent fit and nice and flexible. Wouldn't have been able to afford a suit half as good if it wasn't on sale so pretty happy with it so far. We will see what it's like tomorrow in the water.

Tues 18th August

Evening turbo session. Main bit being 4 X 2 mins @ race watts, aim will be to hold around 235 on race day, but doesnt require as much effort on the turbo to hold this so aimed higher for these 2 mins. Held just above 250 for each and legs felt good. CAdence kept in and around race cadence and was grand.

Wed 19th August

Early morning swim. started off in the new wetsuit, it takes ages to get into! Probably because I'm being very careful with it and probably because my other one is a bit big so goes on easy. Usually takes me a while to get going in my swim, today was no different. Done a 100m, 50m, 100m in the suit just to see how it was. Bit of adjusting with the back of the neck to make it comfortable but overall felt a lot better than my old one. Not half as restrictive. 100's were 1.22 and fast 60 was 47 so moving well without being super fast. These weren't flat out either though. Suit came off nice and easy and then main set of descending 60's - 55,53,51,50 - and 5 X 100m fast - 1.28,1.29,1.30,1.29,1.30. Didn't feel great in the pool today so even though I thought wetsuit times might be faster I'll put some of it down to that. Still in two minds if I'll use it at the weekend or not. Never really used a reverse zipper before but seems grand, and suppose there's no point buying a new suit and not using it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I got a Zerod earlier in the season and initially struggled getting it off. What would happen was I would pull the zip up and then let it go to start to take off the suit (as I used to do with my old suit) and the velcro would restick. The trick is to pull the zip string up and continue till the suit is off the shoulder of the arm doing the pulling, B2R told me this procedure but in the heat of T1 I forgot it. You've probably copped this already but just in case.

Good luck Sunday

Cheers for that, I'll try remember that! Came off quick enough in the pool this morning but was in no real rush and everything in T1 seems like it takes forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Best of luck Sunday

Cheers RJM, bit jealous of your race though, weather meant to be awful here on Sunday, wouldn't mind a bit of sun!

Bits and pieces done through the week, no real running unless you count chasing a dog up and down a beach but a bit of cycling and some swimming this morning. Body is feeling good, usually before a race I don't feel great, bit heavy and slow but this week has been going well and had to pull back a bit on the bike last night to keep it easy. Short bike and run off it on Saturday and then I am all set. Have the morning of the race all planned out, including when I'll do my warm ups and get sorted. Bike has to be racked and transition closes at half seven and I'm not off until 9 but will give me a chance to get my run warm up done and take the ages it ages it seems to get into my new wetsuit. Feeling nice and relaxed about the race, the work is done, just about putting it all together on the day. Going to work hard to keep the bike power more consistent rather than having it spike on the hills and hopefully this will mean I can run better off the bike. New run course and the wet weather forecast makes the run a bit of an unknown, bit of a cross country course so if it gets mucky might slow it down a bit but the plan is still for sub 40. Fastest I have ever gone in Dublin is a 2.21, so not a great time and doesn't match up well to my pb on the distance of a 2.06, but it's not the fastest course around and I've never been in great shape racing it. Hopefully I can take 2/3 mins off my swim, 1/2 off my bike and 3/4 off my run to get me down around 2.15. Would be happy with that and would be a decent time on that course. Tomorrow will be spent resting, registering and resting. Looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best of luck joey, lots of hard work done this year so i fancy you to take a fair chunk off that time. at the end of it all, enjoy it but get it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The very best of luck on Sunday. Have a good one #gohardorgohome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck Joey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have a fantastic day on Sunday!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Don't swim too fast though. Probably better to break in the new suit slowly.

Cheers folks, fingers crossed its a good day. Short turbo and run today and legs felt really good, if I can go as well tomorrow as I did today I will be happy. Weather isn't to be great but it will be the same for everyone, all that's left now is to register and relax!

• Advertisement

well done Joey. terrific result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fairplay Joey on a tough day you did great. You fairly flew past me up the kyber, gave you a shout on Chesterfield avenue when you were coming back towards me and sipping from your bottle.

Cheers folks, Thought I heard someone alright 68 but didn't catch who it was. So a bit of a race report now.

Dublin city Triathlon

My A race for the year. Has been for the 2 years before this but never had a decent performance there. Rain wasn't ideal but would be the same for everyone so no point getting too caught up in it. Only real concern was the bike with the rain, I'm not the most confident bike handler anyway and the brakes on the TT aren't great even in the dry so would make it an interesting day. Down nice and early, quick warm up on the bike, racked and then a quick run warm up too. Felt good heading into this race, body was rested and legs felt good. Down to the swim start with the rest of my wave,

Swim 24.42

Not a bad swim today, closer to a few than I normally would be and even managed to beat Kurt ;). Didn't get a great start and as usual some of the lads trying to start at the front should have been closer to the back, would be faster swim for everyone, Less gaps would open up between people an everyone would get a better draft. Anyway worked my way up through the group, never really had a draft and was over taking people throughout the whole swim, got to the turna round and worked hard to catch a small group before we finished. Caught them at the bottom turn and manage to get out in front of them. What was most pleasing was that it didn't take a whole lot out of me, felt goo getting out. New suit was nice too, not sure if it is much quicker but I didn't feel I was fighting it as much and as the race went on I wasn't getting tired from the suit.

T1 1.42

Not too bad, wetsuit bit slower to come off than my old one but nothing major, stayed relaxed and just got it done.

Bike 1.11.29

The problem with starting in the fourth wave is that the rest of the race is very busy. The whole bike course was packed. I probably took it a bit too careful on the back part of the bike course on the 1st lap or 2. Time was nothing spectacular and power was down a bit on where I would have liked it, positive is that once the road went up or on the flat I was constantly passing people. Think maybe 2/3 people passed and made it stick. AP was 190 with NP being 216. Would have been hoping for closer to 230 but not too far off. Few spikes but that was always going to happen with the few dead corners, but paced it much better up the hills than usual. Some of the other cyclists where just dangerous though, one lad passed me and tried to pass a girl about a bike length in front of me by shouting on your right at her and then cutting in the gap between the bikes and overtaking her on the left. Was a few inches from taking all three of us out. He then died going up the kyber. Overall happy-ish with the bike, without a doubt would have been faster on a dry course, would have been hoping for closer to 1.06. Looking back probably took it too careful on the corners but hard to tell at the time.

T2 1.22

No problems, shoes on quickly and out nice and quick.

Run 40.00

I'll start by saying the run was long, I was through 10km in 39.44 ;). But chip time is what counts. Usually struggle on this run, it's where my race has fallen apart the last few years. Started well and thought about my run a lot more than in Caroline Kearney. Looking back at CK I got caught up in it a bit and started out too fast and wasn't thinking about what I was doing. This run was different, kept a close eye on heart rate and pace. Tried to keep my cadence high and the legs moving. Knew that it was more about keeping a consistent effort rather than pace on this course, the cross country had harder parts than others and coming down chesterfield avenue is faster. Only passed by 1 over the three laps and felt good. Built into the run and tried to negative split it to make sure I had legs at the end. Splits where

4.01, 4.05, 4.02, 3.56, 3.50, 4.08, 3.56, 3.52, 4.13, 3.41. So think I just about got my negative split. This was the most pleasing part of the race, my run pacing. It felt easy enough for the first 2/3 then it started to get tougher with the last 2 being very tough. Average heart rate was 169, means I could have maybe pushed a tiny bit harder at times but that's a very minor thing.

Overall 2.19.14 and 21st overall.

Pleased with this race, the body was good for it and the training all worked. Time is off what I would have wanted but with a dry bike course I would have definitely hit it and might have run faster on a drier course. What's pleasing as well is I know there is more there in the swim, while I am swimming well I'm still not feeling 100% swim fit, this year has had a few disruptions to it and struggled to get going with it again. The bike is good, getting better at pacing and the power is starting to come on the flats, just need to keep building the power and work on my descending. The run has probably come on the most this year, I'm starting to get closer to the times I want to be running and hopefully another winter of running (not disrupted by broken wrist, getting married and buying a house!) will see even more improvements in it. I'm hoping to carry some of the fitness from this race to Tri an Mhi sprint that will be my last race of the year before a few easy weeks and then into training for Outlaw half next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Well done Joey, nice improvement on last year given the conditions. The guys better watch out in Tri an Mhi, won last year in 1:05 I think so I'll be keeping an eye out for the result and the very best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

joey100 wrote: »
    Outlaw half next year.

Are you planning on having the NS wrapped up by then?

Not sure about NS next year, main goal is the outlaw, will see when the calender comes out how other races will fit around it. Your marathon training started yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Thought your running was mighty impressive yesterday Joey (thanks for the encouragement as you went past!). It was a tough slog in that wet grass, and you were moving much better than anyone around, very light on your feet. Great race from you all round.

(Must get myself one of those fancy wetsuits...:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

joey100 wrote: »
    Not sure about NS next year, main goal is the outlaw, will see when the calender comes out how other races will fit around it. Your marathon training started yet??

Yeah, but not firing on all cylinders since the holidays. I'm beginning to think mid season breaks are not the best idea. Pb'ed in the 10 mile on Saturday but was hoping for a bit better. Few hard weeks up to the half. In a few minds myself about next year, decisions decisions. Seen that Outlaw on C4 before, looks like a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Well done Joey.

You're in luck that I've missed out on getting an entry to Tri an Mhi so you should win the "club championship" ;-)

• Advertisement

outlaw half. nice choice. if i was doing a Uk tri that would be my choice as well

Advertisement