Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

joey100 wrote: »
    Dublin goal has got a little bit harder since I seen RJM has it down as one of his goals too, but I suppose it was never going to be easy anyway!

If the goal is to qualify, then I'm no hindrance to you either way - if a slot comes my way I won't be taking it! I'll still be racing to beat you though ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Let's not re-start the roll down discussion! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Fair play sounds like a good plan. Probably do Dublin myself next year. A few did Athlone Middle before Dublin this year. I thought it might be a bit close, what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice plan Joey. Best of luck with it.

Any new purchases lined up or are you all set on the kit front?

A few did Athlone Middle before Dublin this year. I thought it might be a bit close, what you think?

For me it probably would be too close, but some others on here would have no problem racing both. first real season racing this distance so I think 3 in 3 months might be a bit much, don't know really how much it will take over me and how I wil recover. Worked well this year having a break after races and then a training run into the next one so hopefully it will work next year too.

Any new purchases lined up or are you all set on the kit front?

Cheers Pgibbo, would love some new bit but realistically it's not going to happen. New felt IA and new Argon bikes look nice but would they make me any faster, probably not really, not like I'm on an old gate either so bike will stay. Would like a new set of wheels, like the swiss side wheels but that won't happen before Outlaw but maybe, depending on money before Dublin. Disc is the only other thing on the list really, might happen before Outlaw but with Dublin being the priority it will probably be before Dublin. Other than that there is a few little things like new runners, latex tubes (never used them before) and new tyres. The ony other thing I'll hopefully get is the new Orca sleeved tri suit when Mr AKW gets them in. So no big buys but lots of smaller ones, easier to sneak them into the house!

• Advertisement

Right so, started to get back training, was having a good week until I caught the bug that has been going around work. Meant Saturdays long bike, Sundays long run, Monday's swim and run were call cancelled. Back on the bike last night and felt decent, power was around were it would normally be with heart rate a tiny bit higher than usual, legs a bit sluggish but normally like that after a few days off.

Swim this morning was ok. Main set being 6 X 100 off 1.50 aiming for 1.35's. Made all of these, even if one was a bit close. At times moving well, other times not so well. Kick timing was a little bit off today so done some pull buoy stuff at the end, good to be back in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Are you signed up for Mark's Friday night swims again this year?

Unfortunately not Zico, since I've moved house and job they don't really suit this year. Finish in new place around 4.30 on Fridays and don't fancy the long wait around town and then having to use public transport to get home after. It's a pity, I used to enjoy them and would push myself hard during them.

Unfortunately not Zico, since I've moved house and job they don't really suit this year. Finish in new place around 4.30 on Fridays and don't fancy the long wait around town and then having to use public transport to get home after. It's a pity, I used to enjoy them and would push myself hard during them.

Pity for me too. I'll just have to pick somebody else whose feet I struggle to hold and whose times I cam aspire to.

Plenty of lads faster than me there Zico (and ladies!), I'm sure you will find someone!

• Advertisement

Plenty of lads faster than me there Zico (and ladies!), I'm sure you will find someone!

I need to match your times first, then I'll deal with them.:pac:

Sick at start of last week and got back into it around Tuesday and done a bit most days. Back into it properly from Sat so I'll start recording from then.

Sat 10th Oct

Long easy cycle. Went out knowing it was to be an easy cycle so went looking for some hills. Headed from the Naul towards Julianstown and found some nice hills around there, nothing too long but some steep enough. Worked on my descending coming down too, trying to brake before any corners and just trying to ease off the brakes overall. Turned around and back the way I came and then two laps of the Naul up the hill by the school and then headed home. Around 73km done in 2hrs 40 mins with around 1150 metres of climbing so I fund some hills. Tired legs at the end.

Sun 11th Oct

I'm working on making the most of my recovery and it seems to be working. Bit of protein after training along with trying to eat cleaner. Legs felt grand today, wouldn't know I had even cycled yesterday. Around 65 min run today, pace slower than I would have liked but the legs felt good and overall the run felt easy, could have kept going.

Mon 12th Oct

Early morning swim. Main set being 10 X 120m alt swim/pull. Times dropped off a bit for these as it went on but happy enough with the times. Consistency needed again in the pool but at times felt like I was moving well and feel coming back for the water. Run will be done at lunch time in work today, starting my training on delivering Child protection training tonight so won't be home until late but no real bother and will get me out of the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Chattanooga 2017?? That reminds me of the random dead body they found floating just beyond the finish of the swim during the race in 2014. :eek: But I'm sure they'll drag the river for bodies before the World Championship. ;)

(if you find yourself anywhere near Washington, DC, let me know!!)

Yep that's the goal Dory, 70.3 Worlds in 2017 if I can qualify next year. Need to learn how to spell Chatanooga and find it on a map first but I might make it there!

Mon 12th Oct

Lunch time run in work. 40 mins easy. Pace bit slow, heart rate a bit high but it felt easy so I suppose that's good.

Tues 13th Oct

Evening turbo. Main set being 5 X 5mins Big gear, 1 easy. Normally spin around 73 on the turbo so for the BG stuff I dropped it to around 55. Tough enough but always in control and feeling better about pushing that sort of cadence. The easy mins were back around 73 and it felt like my legs were flying around.

Wed 14th Oct

Morning swim. Main set being 10 X 60m pull, divided into a drill and normal swim and then 5 X 100m pull. Not as fast as I would like but every now and again I start moving well. Usually only for a length or two at a time but going in the right direction.

Wed 14th Oct

Lunch run in work. Nothing fancy, 45 mins easy with a few sprints thrown in. Pace was bit better for this, legs felt ok and found a bit of a route that means I don't have to do around 8 laps of a small park to get up the distance. Nice to get out for lunch as well.

Evening run with tri club. Pace was kept very easy for most of this. Legs felt ok, bit tired but nothing major. Rest of the club were doing 6 X 600m with 200m recovery so I just ran the same course keeping the pace easy. Nice to get out with other people and the run felt good. Altogether around 17km ran for the whole day. Good training day, going to try and keep my Wednesday's like this. Swim in morning, planned run at lunch time and then evening run with the club. The distance I do in the evenings will depend on how the legs are feeling but today they feel grand. No real soreness or tiredness.

Thurs 15th Oct

Evening turbo. Nothing fancy, 45 mins easy watching netflix. Easy watts have raised a bit so happy with that, just need to remember/learn how to suffer on the bike.

Fri 16th Oct

Morning swim. Pool was freezing this morning. Usual warm up and some drills. Then main set of 400m pull, 300m sw, 200m pull, 100m sw. Times not great but moving in the right direction and getting higher in the water. Finished with 4 X 60m split into 40m fast, 20 easy. Consistency coming back in the pool and even enjoying my swimming at the moment.

Fri 16th Oct

Evening run. Easy start, then into steady then into intervals. Easy pace was a bit slow at the start, took the legs a little bit to warm up. Intervals were 5 X (1min hard, 1ez). I wanted to keep these as consistent as possible too. Took the first two to get the legs moving and they got faster as it went on. Moving pace was below 3.15 for each and covered in and around the same distance for each interval and recovery so happy with how the session went. Easy pace after was much improved for what felt like less effort.

Sat 17th Oct

Plan as for 2.5 hours easy spin. Laura is gone home for the weekend so I planned for 2.5 hours to bring me to a new local coffee shop were I would have some coffee and cake! Legs took a bit to warm up but once I got going they felt good. Effort didn't feel too bad and I'm getting better at judging power going uphill too so power was more consistent than usual. Took it nice and handy and hit the coffee shop pretty much bang on 2.5 hours. Nice coffee, salad and paleo cake and then an easy spin home to bring it to around 82km for the day. Legs felt grand at the end and it was an enjoyable spin.

Sun 18th Oct

Long run. Didn't sleep great on Sat night and it showed on this run. Whole thing just felt awkward and tougher than it should. Heart rate a little high for the effort and struggled to get into any kind of rhythm. Legs felt grand throughout though. Around 14.5km done in 1hr 10 mins.

Mon 19th Oct

Early morning swim. Some new drills today and main set being 10 X 60 sw, alt easy and steady. Pace was held well for these and kept consistent. Next bit was the same except with a pull buoy. Not as consistent with these, tiny drop off for the steady bits at the end and the first easy was a bit too fast but other than that a decent session in the pool.

Mon 19th Oct

Lunch time run in work. So another night of doing Child protection training in work meant another day of 8am - 9.30pm, meaning I was only going to be able to do this run at lunch time. Not too bad though and after I get used to the extra run I'm doing on Wednesday I might do a short extra run on Mondays as well but we will see. Heart rate seemed to take forever to kick in properly and I'm not sure if it ever gave me the proper reading. Effort felt easy and was no real problem but was good to see the pace in the mid 4.40's. Went a bit further on this run than I had originally planned but still getting used to the routes around work. An enjoyable run.

Tues 20th Oct

Evening turbo. Again heart rate monitor acting up, gave me a reading of over 200 before I even got on the turbo and never really settled down. Plan tonight was some warm up then 6 X 5min BG, 1 easy. These felt good tonight, cadence kept at pretty much bang on 55 and kept an eye on the tracking of my legs. Each one built alittle in power, not by design, and at times I had to pull back the power a bit. Sprints at the end were tough though. Happy with the session afterwards.

Wed 21st Oct

Planned early morning swim, only to find out when I got to the pool at 6.40 that it was closed for maintenance. Bit of a pain not knowing beforehand but not much I could do. Not sure how long it will be affected but I had planned to swim in the NAC on Friday and Monday anyway cos I'm off work so hopefully it's sorted by next Wednesday so I can get back into it. Just when I was getting some consistency back in my swimming too.

Aug 14th confirmed. Get your CC ready

• Advertisement

Any link to the confirmation, looks like it probably will be that weekend but not up on their site yet.

All set for New York? Any goal times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Any link to the confirmation, looks like it probably will be that weekend but not up on their site yet.

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2015/10/ironman-announces-new-european-races.aspx?smtrctid=72297666#axzz3pIMo9Cwe

All set for New York? Any goal times?

3.10 would be great. 3.15 would be descent. Anything else then it didn't go to plan. When your in the middle of it you just want the running to be over but then you start tapering and your thinking should I do one more long one. Feeling good though so no excuses

Best of luck, I'll keep an eye out for your result.

Wed 21st Oct

Double run day. First was around 9.5km on my lunch in work. Heart rate strap still acting up a bit, think a new one might be needed. Anyway, pace was decent, effort was good and was a nice day out. Kept it right in middle of easy zone as much as possible, knew I had another run later so no point killing myself to run few seconds a kilometre faster.

Evening run with the club. Nice easy warm up then the club did 10 x 400m with 1 min recovery, I took these easy, tried to keep it as easy as possible. Took the 1 min recoveries with the rest but stayed towards the back of the group. Legs felt good, no stiffness or tiredness and around 7.5km done. Another good run day.

Thurs 22nd Oct

Evening turbo. First tired session since I've been back training. Probably pushed too hard for some of the 400's last night and was paying for it today. Saying that power was around the usual and heart rate the same, could just feel it in the legs. Glad when this session was over.

Fri 23rd Oct

So my pool is closed for aruond the next 3 weeks. Not ideal and means I will have to find somewhere else semi local to swim. Not a problem today, had day of work and was heading to the national aquatic centre anyway. Pyramid session, 100sw,200p,300sw,400p,400sw,300p,200sw,100p. Times were not great, consistent 100 times across the 200-400 but jus not fast. Plan was for easy swimming but even still they weren't fast. Plenty of work to do in the water.

Evening run. 10easy, 5 steady and then 7 X 1 min hard, 1 min easy. Kept the majority of the hard below 3.20 pace, one or two drifeted to mid 20's but they were uphill so not too bad. Worked hard on this session, not much left in the legs by the end and a definite difference between the easy pace before and after the efforts.

Sat 24th Oct

Long cycle. Windy day and made judging distance and time hard. First hour averaged 26kmph, same for around the next 10kmph, then turned and the speed jumped. Altogether around 72km done with aruond 850m climbing, not abd for a flat day. Legs felt good throughout, power was up a but on my usual average and legs are feeling bit stronger than usual.

Sun 25th Oct

bit of a busy day today so run done early. 1hr 20 easy, took a few km's for the legs to wake up but once they did I was moving well.Lumpy enough route but average pace has improved over the last week or two and heart rate a lot more controllable. A whole lot better than last Sundays run. Legs strong through the whole thing adn always in control. Around 17.3km done, nice and easy.

Mon 26th Oct

Plan was for an easy 2 hr cycle. Didn't get it done in the morning, had to dig up some grass in the front, so needed to get that done before the stones arrive this week. Meant it was late enough finishing that so it was to be 2hrs easy on the turbo. Kept the power a little lower than normal, legs were grand and whole spin was nice and easy. Built a little over the last 10 mins but nothing major. Some nice tight hamstrings today from the digging today though! Glad it's a rest day.

Tues 27th Oct

Rest day, glad of it too. Used muscles I don't normally use digging up the garden.

Wed 28th Oct

Attempted early morning swim in Ballymun. At least I know it's not going to work trying to swim here. Was packed, people just floating around in lanes and walking around chatting. The pool search continues.

Lunch time run. Ran up to UCD from work to have a look at their pool and sort out a guest pass. Guest pass sorted for Friday morning, so will see how this pool is. If this doesn't work it will probably be the aquatic centre for a few weeks but it's a lot of hassle getting from there to work. Anyway, run went well, kept nice and easy and good to see easy pace seems to be increasing. Gradual climb to UCD and pace around 4.45, on way back it was downhill and average pace around 4.30. Legs felt great too, still bit stiff from the digging but doesn't seem to affect my running.

Thurs 29th Oct

Was meant to be an easy turbo session. 1 tonne of loose stone arrived for the garden so my time was spent moving that instead, we will call it cross training. Glad when it was over, not used to manual labour!

Fri 30th Oct

Early morning swim in UCD. A different world from my usual pool, give you towels, tv in the changing room, nice showers. The pool itself is lovely and was great to swim in a 50m pool. In the water at 6.15 and it wasn't too busy, don't know if it's my swimming or my tattoos but no one seemed to want to share a lane with me, long may it last! Found it tough moving from my usual 20m and showed as the session went on. Fast 50's in around 44 seconds consistently, with my hundreds starting around 1.33 and drifting to 1.37. Going to join the pool though and can see it helping my swimming. Will mean earlier swim mornings but I'm hoping to change my work hours to finish at 4 so should be grand really. Probably work out better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Need to sort a new pool myself.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it would suit you with work but if you can get there early it's great (From my 1 visit!). Not huge amounts of Chlorine in the water and a nice temperature. Looks like might be bit expensive to join, we got some special offer because Laura works in Vincents Hospital but I'd say it be handy enough to get them down on the price. Shes had around 3 calls from them, sorting out the visit, making sure we were ok to go and another today to see how we got on so reckon they must be pushing for members.

Advertisement