Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Kurt, don't think the conditions cost much time to be honest, wasn't too much wind in the park and the rain didn't really slow us down, some of the walkers and slower people were dodging puddles but by that stage we were already soaked so no point avoiding them to stay dry. Not the fastest course in the world though, 2.5-3.5 was fast but from 3.5 to around 5.2 was a slog. and will probably try to do a 10k over a faster course to try lower that time in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Well done, that's a nice 10k time.
    joey100 wrote: »
    will probably try to do a 10k over a faster course to try lower that time in the new year.

I often wonder what is the point of doing that. What does it prove? Get over to the park and lower the time on the same course :)

I know what your saying Ray and the plan will be to do the race next year as well and use it as a marker. I'm in the middle of winter training though and if it's anything like last years I'll get faster as the season gets closer so the aim will be for another 10km on better legs. The reason for a fast one is because I'd like a nice PB, and the mental part of it too. If I run say a low 37 on a faster course it helps build the mental strength so when I'm struggling towards the end of a 10k in a tri I can say to myself 'you have ran a low 37, you should be able to run 39 off the bike'. But mostly for the nice PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I know what your saying Ray and the plan will be to do the race next year as well and use it as a marker. I'm in the middle of winter training though and if it's anything like last years I'll get faster as the season gets closer so the aim will be for another 10km on better legs. The reason for a fast one is because I'd like a nice PB, and the mental part of it too. If I run say a low 37 on a faster course it helps build the mental strength so when I'm struggling towards the end of a 10k in a tri I can say to myself 'you have ran a low 37, you should be able to run 39 off the bike'. But mostly for the nice PB.

I can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastic job on your shiny new PB....and WOO HOO on Laura for killing her run. I know how proud you are of her! :)

• Advertisement

Monday was a rest day. Calves were tight and wasn't feeling 100% so no guilt in taking the day off at all.

Tuesday 14th Dec

Evening turbo. 45 mins easy, really had to pull back the legs for this one to stay in easy zone and just about did. Legs might be tight when I'm walking but there's nothing there on the bike. Average power around 190w.

Wed 15th Dec

Early morning swim. Easy swim set today and it was all to be swam easy. 10 X 100m pull, took this nice and easy. Not a huge difference in pace between this swam easy and steady. Came in between 1.47-1.50 for each except for one that came in at 1.45, no idea what I done different here, probably a little quicker turning at the wall. Finished with 4 X 50m fast, all around 45 seconds so not particularly fast but consistent. My new pet hate in the pool is people who don't swim to the wall, catching someone towards the end of the length and all of a sudden they stop and stand 5 metres from the wall, don't be annoyed then when I barely manage to stop before crashing into you!

Lunch time run. Another easy session, 30 mins. Heart rate a little quick to rise and not as smooth as I would have liked. Everything felt a little forced. Pace was decent though, bit of tightness still in calves but not too bad. Lovely day for it too, shorts and t shirt in December is nice.

Thurs 16th Dec

Evening turbo. Again nothing fancy, 45 mins easy with a few sprints thrown in. Had to work to keep easy in the easy zone and the sprints were decent, averaging around 640w, not a huge number but not far off 11k/kg. New 5 second and 10 second power numbers too.

Fri 17th Dec

Swim in the morning including some 200's. Felt decent in the water, times a little out but feeling good so hoping soon the times will match how I feel!

Run in the evening. 30 mins easy with 5 X 20 second sprints included. Good pace tonight and heart rate a little more settled than the last run. Seen 2.4x pace on the watch for the first time too and had it there for around 3 of the sprints.

Sat 18th Dec

Long cycle. finally got back outside and off the turbo on the bike, 2 hours easy. Power was up a bit from what I would usually hold outside so was a good spin. Headwind for the last 16km of a spin made the finishing tough, battery is going on power meter too and had constant drop outs from it after around an hour. New batteries and battery cover will be ordered for it.

Sun 19th Dec

Didn't sleep at all on Sat night and Sunday ended up being a busy day so the 1hr run that was planned never got done. Don't like missing sessions and try not to miss them but was probably the right thing not to do it.

Mon 20th Dec

Morning swim. Pool was a lot quieter than normal today and it was great. Main set I done was 10 x 100m off 2 mins, planning to hold around 1.38 for first 5 and then build on this. Worked well and was holding around 1.35 for the last few. THen 4 X 50m fast off 60, coming in around 44 seconds with the first around 42 seconds so starting to get a bit of speed back. Done a bit of swimming then with Laura drafting me but taking it easy enough. Nice swim session this morning.

Lunch time run. Garmin started acting up again, having few problems with it recently, sometimes it's a pain to get stuff off it, constantly turns itself off or won't find the ant+. Last week or two it's starting to take ages to find satellites, today was the same except it measured the first km really long, I have a fair idea of my run and I was around 1.3km done before it recognised the km as being finished. Average pace for first km was around 6 min, with the wind behind me! Seemed to sort itself out after a bit but very annoying. Have cleared the history and done a factory reset already and doesn't seem to have made a difference. Maybe it's time to start my 920 saving. Anyway 40 mins ran, around 9km done and legs felt good. First run in a while where the muscles in my right leg have felt good.

Which Garmin are you using and how old is it?

Hey Dory, using the 910xt. Not sure how old it is, maybe 3/4 years? Got it in a sale for around 270 euro when it was fairly new out so can't give out too much. Up to now I've never had a problem with it just seems to be acting up the last while. Laura think's I'm hinting for a 920 but I'm not really, it does everything I need, and more! Can't even use half the things on it, never mind the new features on the 920!

I have the 920 but haven't really used it to it's full extent. I don't even have it linked with Garmin Connect! But, so far I do like it very much! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I have the 920 but haven't really used it to it's full extent. I don't even have it linked with Garmin Connect! But, so far I do like it very much! :)

920xt is a nice piece of kit. Can guide things alot. Swim mode alone is worth it over the 910xt

tunney wrote: »
    920xt is a nice piece of kit. Can guide things alot. Swim mode alone is worth it over the 910xt

I can't imagine using it in the pool. :eek: But maybe I'll get to try it out in open water in the spring.

Right so, since my last update I've been tipping away, not doing as much as I would have liked, not enough long runs or swimming but have done fair few shorter runs and good few bikes. Managed to cut the sole of my foot just before christmas so that meant about 3/4 days of no running to let it heal. In there as well was a very hungover treadmill run for 50 mins and then straight into the pool for a swim where I felt like crap and was cramping a lot of the time but still held decent times. Highlight was probably my long bike spin on Sat, 3hrs 45 mins and lovely weather. Was starting to get a bit of cabin fever from the turbo so was good to get out. Around 110km done and through 100 in 3hr 25 so a decent average pace for what was right in the middle of my easy zone. And to end it all off my car was stolen from the house on Sat night. Sunday was spent dealing with Guards and insurance people and then back onto the guards because they think it might have showed up. Was waiting by the phone the whole day and wasn't in the right head space for any training so took the day off. Normally not a bad thing but another long run missed and I have a bit of work to do now to get my run back up and going.

Seen as it's the new year I'll go back over my plan for the coming year. First big race is Outlaw half in Nottingham May 29th. Not sure what to expect at this, will be my first time giving the distance a proper go so will go over with no real expectations. Looking at the times I'm not sure how fast a course it is but anything close to 4.30 would be great. I'll think more about this when it gets closer. Other main goal would be Dublin half if it's happening. Should have a better idea of the distance after the Outlaw and the goal for this is a 70.3 world championship slot of 2017. I'd take a roll down slot but I have a time in mind compared to the winners and if I'm not within that I don't think I would take it. other than that there are no real big races for me this year, hope to try and get one or two duathlons done, got none done next year and maybe have another go at the 10km run distance over the summer but other than that no real concrete plans. No real desire to do any National Series races this year but if a race fits into the plan I'll do it. This year I'll be playing lead supporter at a few races for Laura so will be interesting to see the race from the other side. September I'm heading to Las Vegas and Mexico for 2 weeks for a delayed honeymoon and at the moment my head space is more there than in my training!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Sorry to hear about the car. Aside from anything else I'm sure it's an awful hassle to be suddenly without one!

Have you thought about alternatives if Dublin doesn't go ahead?

Cheers RJM, nope not really. Dublin was to be my main race. If it doesn't go ahead I probably would have picked an ironman branded one over Nottingham but with the way that's working because of the sterling it's going to cost a fortune to get over and back and do the race. That with the holiday doesn't leave any money for another race abroad. I'll probably just do some races here over the summer, will mean a change of plans for next year too but there was always a choice between giving the NS a bit of a go and the 70.3 world championships so if no Dublin this year I'll be aiming for a decent NS 2017. World championship sounds nicer though, so does racing in teh warm weather in the US compared to a wet day in Ireland.

Given any thoughts yourself about what to do if Dublin doesn't go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Given any thoughts yourself about what to do if Dublin doesn't go ahead?

Nope! Partly why I was asking! I can't imagine going abroad will fly this year with the new baby due in April. Maybe Kenmare or something. I'll have to see.

Was thinking about that race too since there is no info out on Dublin but I'll be flying to Las Vegas that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was thinking about that race too since there is no info out on Dublin but I'll be flying to Las Vegas that day.

If Swinford goes ahead in July it might suit you.

Did you get sorted with the car? Been there and know what a pain it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

where you staying in Vegas? been there 15+ times over the years, if you want any recommendations let me know

• Advertisement

Another spanner just been thrown in the works, looks like my brother is getting married in August, I didn't even know he was engaged, wedding will more than likely be in England so depending on dates it might mean Dublin half is out. I'll give Swinford a look pgibbo, at the moment though I'd say it will be races closer to home, I'll see what's on closer to the time.

The Guards got the car back last night, dodgy ad on donedeal and they arranged a meet and they now have the car back. They say it has no damage done and is in good nick so hopefully won't cost any money to get it back on the road. Still trying to sell it though so hopefully it shifts soon.

@Mossy, staying in the Monte Carlo, we were thinking of somewhere else but looks like we are going to a few shows and trips so won't really be in the hotel that much. Used the money we saved on the hotel in Vegas to bump upto a 5 star all inclusive in Mexico so looking forward to that! Have stayed in the Luxor, Sahara and Circus Circus before so think that the monte carlo is central enough, looks a bit dated but perfect for what we want. If you know any good shows or trips though let me know. Think we are going out to the Grand Canyon one day and one of the Cirque De Soleil shows another night. Last time we were there I done a sky dive, thought it might cure my fear of heights, no chance, didn't sleep the night before because of the fear and am probably worse with heights now than before! Great place though, Loved it the last 2 times I was there.

Oh, Cirque du Soleil "O" is the one I'd have to go see! Your trip sounds wonderful, but what are your thoughts on other options for a qualifying IM 70.3??

I assume there's no way to pick up a 70.3 race while you're over this way? Looks like California has two in September, there's one in Georgia, and Cozumel has one on October 2nd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh, Cirque du Soleil "O" is the one I'd have to go see! Your trip sounds wonderful, but what are your thoughts on other options for a qualifying IM 70.3??

preferred mystere to O. both are excellent. preferred both to the one in MGM, was it Ka?

the other one that is very good is Love, if you like the beatles at all it is an entire show set to their music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Done both of these tours and would highly recommend,

http://www.grandcanyonwhitewater.com/
    http://www.cowboytrailrides.com/sunset.html

Try the old town for some of the nicest lobster and steaks you will taste (also the cheapest)

I'll look up that show Dory, thanks!

At the moment unless Dublin is on a different weekend than my brother is getting married I can't see me making another race. A pity but might put it off for a year and go abroad in 2017. I would like to do Dublin though and that's still the 'A' plan, just needs to fit around one or two other things now. My bro still hasn't set a date but from what my Mam has told me it will be August sometime.

Not a chance of me doing a race over there, wouldn't mind but this is more honeymoon than holiday and don't think I could bring up the idea of doing a race when we are away! Looking forward to a bit of a break too, and even though I do like racing the idea of having to transport the bike and the gear makes it a non runner really!

@ Mossy, seen KA last time we were there so will definitely check out the other two, wouldn't be a big beatles fan so will give that one a miss. Problem with going for 4 days is trying to fit everything in! I don't really drink and don't smoke but I do like my sunglasses, especially oakleys so the plan is to try and pick up a pair or two over there, so need to keep time for the important sun glass shopping!

@Jackyback, cheers for that. I'll definitely check them out. Laura want's to go out on some skywalk thing on the grand canyon, think it's some horse shoe glass path. Not ideal for me with my fear of heights, but my last experience of horse riding wasn't great either so not sure which would be the least bad option!

Right so a bit of training to log, not much but it's a start,

Mon 4th Jan

Lunch time run. Nothing special just about 40 mins easy, could tell I haven't done enough running. Pace was slow and heart rate high. Legs felt good though. Around 9km done.

Had hoped to do an evening run but spent most of it on the phone to the guards sorting out info on the car.

Tues 5th Jan

Evening turbo. Similar session to one I done recently. Main set being 15 X 30 seconds @ above 310w with 30 rec, then 5 mins easy, then 5 X 30 seconds @ 310, 30 rec. Hit the numbers for all but 1 of these, that was more to do with mind drifting than legs though. Bit of tightness in my left calf and it threatened to cramp once or twice but other than that a good session.

Wed 6th Jan

Back to the pool. again lack of time in the pool showed. Main set being 3 X 400m with 30 rec. These were slow, first two were similar times with last dropping off by around 7 seconds. Felt it after around 250m of each and just wasn't moving well in the water. Some fast 50's as well that had some good ones mixed in to some slower ones.

Wed 6th Jan

Lunch time run. Pace a bit better and heart rate a little better than Mondays run. Head was a lot more in this one though. Session had 5 X 20 seconds fast included, I knew these wouldn't be fast so to make my self feel better I done the first 2 downhill. Still nothing spectacular but nice to see some faster times on the watch. Legs felt good and even though heart rate increased a bit as it went on it was still within easy zone by the end including the fast bits.

Evening club run. Done with Laura. Bit of a warm up and then into the set of 5 x 800m, 200m rec. 800's were ran around 5.15 pace and weren't as comfortable as they should have been. Heart rate still low for them but it did climb a bit as it went on. Was never under pressure though and was pleased with how the legs held up. First double run day in a while now and around 18.5km ran for the day so decent mileage.

Thurs 7th Jan

Evening turbo. Nothing fancy, 1hr 15 mins easy. Legs woke up after a bit and towards the end I hard to work a bit to keep the power down. Pleased with how comfortable this felt. Legs felt grand after the double run the day before. All while watching Tattoo fixers, turbo TV at it's finest.

Fri 8th Jan

Early morning pool. Twice in one week, starting to get back into it now. Felt better in the pool this morning, timing feels a little off but getting better, at least I was aware what felt wrong this morning. Times weren't too bad and were consistent-ish. Didn't tire as badly as I have done the last 2/3 sessions. Few drills and some 100's split into fast 50, easy 50. Have gone a bit one speed in the pool so need to work on that too. Good session though and glad to gte the start of some consistency back in the pool.

No lunch time run today, doing it this evening instead. Looks like a tough session, 5 X (3 mins @ 3.30 pace,2 easy). Not sure how this will go, that's a fast pace and not sure I have ever ran that fast for that long but sure we will see tonight. Looking forward to it and not looking forward to it at the same time.

• Advertisement

Fri 8th Jan

Evening run. Wasn't sure how this would go, plan was 5 X 3 mins @3.30 pace,2 recovery. These were tough, I had to walk most of the recoveries to get the heart rate down and let the legs rest. Hit the pace for all of them though with 2 of them dipping down below. Legs were fried by the end though.

Sat 9th Jan

Turbo. Probably could have got out on the road but I'm being extra careful this year so this was a turbo session. Plan was 15 easy, then 4 x (15 easy,10@210w,5@235w), 15 easy. This was a tougher session than it looked on paper and by the end of the third one my legs were feeling it. Good session though.

Sun 10th Jan

Long evening run. PLan was 1hr easy,20 mins steady, 10 easy. Garmin acted up a bit for the first 1km of this again. Legs still had friday in them but hte pace was decent until around 55 mins in when the lack of any real long runs recently started to show. Steady section was grand, average pace in and around 4.20-ish. Covered 20km in the time and legs feeling it a bit by the end.

Picked up a second hand disc on Sunday. Nice Flo disc for the bike, looks in perfect nick and came with tyre, cassette, valve adapter and wheel bag.

PLan for the season has changed, with no info out about Dublin and my brothers wedding it looks like Dublin is off the cards for me now. Will pick another race once my brother has sorted out a date for his wedding but nothing really on the cards now apart from the half in Nottingham.

Advertisement