Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

joey100 wrote: »

And I have entered Dublin. Got a Tri club entry last week so decided I'd give it a go. Outlaw half will be my first race at the distance so hopefully I can learn a bit from it and use it in Dublin. Timing actually works well too and will be my last race of the season. An expensive one but hopefully it will be a good day out.

thought you did a half a couple of years ago/ did you not get a free entry? or am i mixing people up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep that was me, and that's why I said Outlaw will be my first 'race' at that distance ;) I won an entry to Tri an Mhi around 6 days before it, had never ran that far before and the furthest I had been on the TT bike was around 60km. Was more about getting around the course without wrecking myself than racing! I did beat both Bambaata and P Kern that day though ;) , probably the only time I will beat them, they both withdrew during the run. Enjoyed the distance though and looking forward to giving it a proper go at Outlaw and Dublin.

got ya. missed the nuance on race..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Your coaching is paying off. Nice pb at the weekend :cool:

Cheers pgibbo but I think coaching is over selling it a bit! Just help her get out the door is all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

A big "woo hoo" to Laura!!! :) And Dublin...so does that mean you might be targeting Chattanooga again?? If so, I have a friend who just get back from Chattanooga and she said it's a great place! I've never been, but sounds like a place with some fantastic outdoor activities, restaurants, and a nice downtown.

Thanks Dory, I'll pass on your congratulations!

Unfortunately probably not for the Worlds, but you never know. Few things are after popping up for next year that could put an end to any thoughts for Barcelona next year and the new bike at the end of the year. Might not though, will be clearer over the next few months.

Monday 29th Feb

Early morning swim. 100's split into fast sections and slower sections. These all felt pretty slow. Swim not really happening for me at the moment, it will come back but needs work. Glad to get in and out of the pool.

Lunch time run. Got drowned for this but better than having my lunch in the office, 45 mins easy. Moving well and legs felt good, no real effects from the long run on Sunday or the long bike on Saturday. Around 10km done.

Would normally try and run with Laura on Mon evening, nice and short distance and slow but wasn't happening tonight. Awful weather and banging my knee on the desk in work meant I instead decided to stay in and watch TV.

Tues 1st March

Evening turbo. A bit like a few of the last turbo sessions I have done. 6 x 5mins @ 280w, 2 rec. Legs felt ok for the start of this, held around 283 for the first 4. Then 2 mins into the 5th one, KABOOM, legs gone. completely gone, nothing in them. Went from holding around 280 to nothing. Took 2/3 mins easy and tried again. Last around another 2 mins and then again legs gone. Just spun out easy then to round out the hour. So 4 out of 6 intervals done with 2 x 3mins as well. not ideal but at least I was closer to the end than the start when it went. Have done this session with 5 X 5 mins so should have really been able for it. Not a happy person getting off the turbo.

Wed 2nd March

Early morning swim. The Dublin Ironman effect in the pool seems to have passed. Pretty quiet this morning. Main set was 10 x 200m alt sw/pull. Swims coming in around 3.20 and pulls around 3.40 so maybe a tiny bit faster than normal. Tried one or two new things with my catch and seems to work. Just need to work on remembering to do it now! Will be swimming in a 25m pool on Monday so will be curious to see how my times transfer to the shorter distance, I'm hoping for around 10 seconds per 100 faster, I can dream!

Wed 2nd March

Lunch time run. Was told by one of the lads that I work with that it was freezing out, it wasn't. Meant taking off my buff, hat and trying to keep myself a bit cooler within the first 300m of my run. Once I got that sorted it was a nice run, good legs and controlled heart rate and for the first time in a while I felt like I was running. Around 10km done.

Evening run with the club. Around 3km warm up then into 10 x 400m with 90 second recovery. Done with Laura, holding around 1.45 for the 400's and then a walking recovery. It;s done on a 400m stretch out in the Aquatic centre and one direction we had wind behind, other was into the wind. Heart rate a bit higher into the wind for the same speed and edged a bit out of easy zone once or twice, but only by 1/2 bpm. Legs felt good, no sluggishness or tightness in them. An enjoyable run and around 8.2km done for another good run day. Maybe I am turning into a runner!

joey100 wrote: »
    holding around 1.45 for the 400's

Maybe I am turning into a runner!

i read the 1.45 as pace first, not time...was hugely impressed:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Where do you run in the NAC? And do you have to let them know you are holding a group session there? Or do your club hire out a track? Could I just rock up on my own and run 400s in the same place?

• Advertisement

Nope no track rented Zico. It's down at the entrance to the National Sports Campus. Where the new roundabout is you turn left and it's a long straight road in front of you, New Gaelic pitch going in on left and astro pitches on right. Road is just over 400m long so good for intervals. We run there in the winter and move to the Phoenix park in summer, not sure about letting people know, I just turn up and run! Tends to be very quiet though, might get one or two others there but generally just us. Lit up in the evening with street lights too.

Thurs 3rd March

Easy 45 mins on the turbo. Been reading racing and training with a power meter, I say reading but I read a couple of pages of it and then gte bogged down a bit with the detail and stop, but one thing that stood out about was the easy zone. I would normally push towards the top end of easy zone, probably even going a bit into tempo, so with that in mind tonight's turbo was done more to the middle of easy. Hopefully I will see a benefit of it, even if it just saves the legs a bit for the more important sessions.

Fri 4th March

Evening run. Hard enough session, 10 x 1 min hard, 1 min easy. Aiming for around 3.15 pace for the hard. GPS acted up from the start of this and the pace on screen was well off. Couldn't fully trust it for the hard 1 mins but just ran as hard as I could. Was done doing laps of a park near my parents, not ideal but the best uninterrupted bit of road I could find. Meant a bit uphill, a bit into the wind and a bit flat. Pace for the hards showed this with them being a mixture of 3.15,3.20 and 3.30 depending where I was running. They were consistent though, and the last one done on the road was my fastest at around 3.12 pace so pleased with the effort. Uploaded it to Garmin and it showed me starting my run in Ballymun and taking a strange direction to get to where I done the laps. Ballymun would be around 3/4km from where I started.

Sat 5th March

Long cycle. Another long spin on the road. Was great to be able to get out again, not a huge amount of long spins spent on the turbo at all this year. Headed out towards howth then back through Malahide to the Naul and then Balbriggan and home. Head wind the whole way from Malahide to the Naul and uphill so tough enough spin. Battery died in power meter too but they have finally arrived in work so will be good to get that back up and running. Balbriggan to Skerries is a lovely road and I had a tailwind the whole way. Pushed it a bit here, think I'm up to around top 25 on that section now, not bad considering it's only ever done at the end of my spin and the top 15 or so are from when the giro was over in Ireland. Legs tired a bit towards the end but other than that a good spin.

Sun 6th March

Morning run. Long run and a lovely day out for running. A bit like my easy on the bike I'm trying to make sure I run the easy's properly easy and not at the very top end of easy. Felt comfortable for the majority of this, legs tired a bit towards the end but that's half expected with where I am in this block of training. Nothing interesting about this run really except for having to sprint past some drunk fella who looked like he was channeling his inner Conor McGregor and trying to fight every car that drove past. Out in the middle of no where really too so a bit strange. Mustn't have been happy with the result of the fight.

In the evening I got into a 25m pool for the first time in a long time. Feels very short. Not sure of what to do and didn't have a huge amount of time so done the test session I would do on a test week. Not ideal towards the end of a block and with the long stuff from the weekend in the legs but good to give it a go. Mis-paced the 400m, started out too fast but settled well after it and then didn't push until too late towards the end. Came in at 6.12, pretty sure that I could take this down a fair bit with just getting used to the pool but down from around 6.21 in the 50m pool. Then I done a 100m TT, came in at 1.21, down from around 1.27 in the 50m and my fastest 100 ever. Bit of a confidence boost, times can seem slow in the 50m pool compared to others but good to see they transfer to fast enough times in the 25m pool.

Mon 7th March

Evening run. 45 mins easy. Picked up a new pair of Nike lunar 7's on sale. They fit well and even though I run mainly in Saucony now I used to run a lot in Nikes. Very comfortable and after running in these I can probably tell some of my others are dead. Pace got better as the run went on and again was more towards middle of easy zone than top. Nice and comfortable throughout.

Tues 8th March

Moved Monday mornings swim to today. Bit of warm up then 12 x 100m steady with 10 second rec. All these came in around 1.36 except for 2 that drifted out to 1.39 but putting that down to lack of concentration rather than tiredness. 10 seconds recovery seemed short so pleased I kept them consistent. 4 X 50m fast off 60 after, while since I done these and came in around 41,43,44,44. Bit of a drop off but the 41 at the start equals or is very close to my best time in the 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

I had similar issues with my Garmin on Friday...

Good to hear it wasn't just mine so! One or two problems with it recently and was hoping that this was just something small, don't fancy having to buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going on the swim. Bodes well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 nice going in the swim. Would you say the 6:21 in the LC and 6:12 in the SC were roughly same effort and/or fitness level?

Going to have a go in the shorter pool too later and ideally same outcome!

I'd say the LC 6.21 I was fitter, or at least in the water more up to it. Swimming hasn't been going great the last few weeks and missed a few sessions. 25m pool feels very short after the 50m, felt like I was spending half my time turning.

And meant to say that entry all got sort shotgun! Cheers for that, he ended up coming 9th. He was delighted he got to do it, only back from New Zealand so all a bit of a rush but thanks again!

Tues 8th March

Evening turbo. Done on road bike, TT bike is in the shop to get ready for race season. Miles off the plan tonight, even easy zone was miles away from where it should be. Not a good session at all. Binned it after 35 mins. Not a good session at all.

Wed 9th March

Morning swim. Main set being 6 x 300m with pull, hese were slow but I'm always slow with the pull. Swim time for this distance is around 5 mins, with pull was around 5.35-5.40. Arms were tired by the end of the session.

Afternoon run. Took ages for the watch to get satellites so no real idea of average pace, around 15 mins before I started to get any info. Felt like I was moving well and was running to heart rate anyway so no big deal. Legs bit heavy but pleased with the pace when I started to see it, aroudn 4.35's into the wind. No evening run, after the way they cycle went there is no point killing myself this week.

Thurs 10th March

Evening turbo. 1hr easy. Effort, heart rate and power a lot closer to what they would normally be after Tuesdays session. Legs felt fairly alright but power was matching the effort so a good session. I can't get comfortable on the road bike on the turbo though, spent the hour wriggling around trying to get comfortable.

Fri 11th March

So along with taking ages to get satellites my watch has stopped uploading swims. Bit of a pain but what can you do. Long enough main set today and again nothing fast but it was fairly comfortable for the pace. Still lot of work to do in the pool.

Evening interval run. Plan was short warm up and then 5 X (3@3.30, 3ez). Confident that I could run these with 3 mins recovery. 3.21, 3.25,3.25,3.28 and 3.28 for the intervals so happy with them. Light jog for the recovery too. Legs felt ok, the pace didn't feel like I was running on the edge as much as it did the last time I done this set and felt a lot more in control. Seems for every bad bike session I have I have a decent run session.

Sat 12th March

3hrs easy bike. Outside again for this. Nothing fancy, legs felt pretty good and was comfortable for the whole way during this. Bit of tightening around the hips for last 30 mins or so but nothing major. Pleased with the speed for and power for what felt like an easy effort. Lovely day for a spin too. Afterwards was spent cleaning 2 bikes and around 4 sets on wheels. Thought it would be a good idea, didn't really think it was a good idea after the first bike and 2 sets of wheels. Did learn though that every bike looks better with deep wheels on it. Laura's tiny Eddie Merckx looks really good with my old TT wheels on it, because the frame is so small the wheels look really deep. At least she will look the part at her race!

Sun 13th March

1hr 30 mins easy run. Legs were tired starting off for this and stayed the same for pretty much the whole run. Again pace was decent for the effort and pleased with how I ran on tired legs. Heart rate towards bottom of easy zone and pace was around 4.45 for 19.3km easy. A good run but glad to be done. Ran this mainly around the housing estates close to home, didn't want to go too far in case the legs decided they had enough. Meant running up and down the same roads a lot of times, bit boring but done.

Mon 14th March

Start of recovery week and a rest day. Glad of this, legs still feeling a bit heavy so will be no danger of over doing the recovery this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What watch are you using and are you trying to upload to Training Peaks via Garmin Express? I had the same issues with swims not uploading on my 910, for some reason garmin express did not auto upload so i updated the version and all works fine now.

Using the 910 and garmin express alright JB. Only seems to be the swimming it's affecting but I'll have a look at updating it, not sure I have ever updated it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Top 25 is some going for that balbriggan to skerries route .. I had a tailwind there last year and thought I was going to take off its a great stretch

Nice fast section alright Steroo, especially once you get under the bridge at Ardgillan, all resurfaced and nice and fast.

Tues 15th March

Evening turbo. 45 mins easy. Back on the TT bike, alot more comfortable than the road bike on the turbo. Power and heart rate back to normal levels. Legs bit heavy but no tiredness or soreness. Kept it nice and easy.

Wed 16th March

Wed mornings are looking like they are going to be harder to get the swim in. 4 lanes are booked now leaving 4 lanes for the public, means a lot of waiting on people to give them distance and getting stuck. Anyway today was short enough set 5 x 200m. First 2 were decent, around 3.18,3.20. Dropped out a bit for the last three to around 3.24. Swim is very much a work in progress at the moment.

Wed 16th March

Evening run. 30 mins easy. Done while the club run was on. Pace was good, 4.40 going out and 4.30 coming back. Legs felt good.

Thurs 17th March

2 hour easy spin with Laura. Headed out to Howth, stopped for a coffee and back. All kept nice and easy and again legs feeling good. Enjoying the recovery week.

Fri 18th March

Early morning swim. Main set being 12 x 100m. Coming in around 1.36 for these so nothing fast. Pool was a lot quieter this morning, love a quiet pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When is Laura's tri? :)

Hey Dory, her first tri is April 9th in Laois in a swimming pool and then in the open water at end of May in Carlow. She's well set for it, doesn't think she is but she's flying!

Fri 18th March

Evening run, coming towards the end of my recovery week and body feeling good. Easy 45 mins with some builds, a comfortable run but never really got going, like my timing or something was off. Heart rate a bit quick to rise on uphills but overall a good run.

Sat 19th March

Long-ish run. 1hour easy. Tried a new route today and works well so will be able to add it onto my longer runs. Again nice and easy but same as Friday never really settled into it and felt a little off.

Sun 20th March

2hour easy cycle. Few too many drinks on Saturday night meant this was done with a fuzzy head and wasn't as enjoyable as it normally would be. Kept nice and easy for the 2 hours, legs felt good, close to cramping once or twice, more to do with the night before than the session I was doing. Nice and comfortable and felt better for having done it.

Mon 21st March

Early morning swim. finally a good swim. 7 x 200m, first came in on 3.14 and thought that this was too fast so pulled back a bit. The rest were around 3.16-3.18 except for 2 when I had to overtake mid length. Felt good in the water but was really feeling it by the end. 4 X fast 50's off 60 to finish, not as fast as normal first 2 around 43 and last 2 around 46, nothing left for them as was tying up with around 30m left in each length. Had to sit down on the pool deck when I got out, bit light headed. Combination of the sat night still in the system and the effort from the set. Good to see the times coming down, need to keep it consistent now across sessions.

Mon 21st March

Afternoon run. This run was the complete opposite to my last 2 runs, everything went really well. Nice and smooth, everything felt effortless and the pace was good. Felt like I could have just kept going. 10km easy done.

Tues 22nd March

Evening turbo. A repeat of the horrible session I didn't even get into the last time before blowing up. 7 x 4 @280w, 2 rec. Approached it a bit different this time, just took each one individually and tried not to think that if this one is hard how hard will it be in 2 intervals time. Got through them all, last 3 were killers though, just above where I needed to be too, all around 284. And to finish off the very last one I got a little bit sick. Don't think I have ever pushed that hard on the bike before and a new 1hr power record for me. Delighted I got the session done, not looking forward to next week's session though.

Wed 23rd March

Early morning swim. Was glad it was mainly pull buoy this morning, legs were still feeling the turbo. Pool was very busy so made getting the set done exactly as planned didn't really work. Done it as best I could in the situation. Not as fast as monday but I was using the pull and legs were tired.

Afternoon run. 45 mins easy. pace was in and around where it would normally be for this session and even though the legs were a little tight it was all comfortable enough. Not as smooth as Mondays run but not as clunky as Fridays, a more normal run. Around 10km done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Great work on the turbo, that session sounded just horrendous. Sticking it out and getting it done must have been a great confidence booster!

Advertisement