Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm hoping it's not a pacing issue JB, was running to heart rate, might have been a strength issue in the legs with the hills tho.

Thurs 5th May

Repeat of the long run from Sunday. 1hr easy,30 steady and 20 easy. Done after work so a bit of a rush to get it done and finished. Ran a flatter route tonight to see if the hills on the other route played a part in how I felt by the end. Easy pace was mid 4.30's tonight, steady around 4.15 and then the last easy was out to around 4.45. HR was few beats lower than Sundays run and pace was around 9 seconds per km quicker. Completely down to the route. Felt very comfortable for this. Legs even though they were heavy were alright and the pace was comfortable. Steady wasn't too bad but was feeling it coming towards the end, no fall apart after this like I did on Sunday so an improvement there. Few stomach issues about 1km to go but this was down to me rushing food to get it into me before the run. Altogether around 25km ran, and through the half marathon in around 1.35.30. Pleased with the run tonight, done on tired legs with a tired body and held together well. Pace and heart rate both improved from last time and was a lot more comfortable throughout.

Fri 6th May

Early morning swim. THe now usual Friday swim session, 400m sw,4x100 pull, 300m sw, 3x100 pull,200m sw, 2x 100m pull, 100m sw, 100m pull. Ok in the water this morning, legs were a bit heavy and was glad I used the pull for about half the total session. Tired legs brought them down a bit for the swim sections but overall not too bad.

Sat 7th May

Plan was for 4hr cycle and then brick run off it. Got up in the morning though to a leak in the ensuite and water running down the kitchen walls so by the time that was sorted I wasn't going to be able to fit in the planned session so swapped Saturdays and Sundays sessions around. Turbo session done. Main bit being 5 x 1 alt 110%,90%, 5 easy then 5 at 280. These have been going well the last few weeks and seen improvements every time and today was the same. Bit higher for the 1 min efforts and then held 305 for the 5 min. Legs felt decent, heart rate probably a little high for the effort but all in a good session.

Evening run. 45 mins easy. HRM acted up and took a while to kick in, when it did it seemed to stay around 156 and not drop at all (153 would be upper limit of my easy), pace was kept nice and easy and still no drop in heart rate, put it down to the HRM acting up but looking back could have been a sign of more. Around 10km ran.

Sunday 8th May

PLanned 4 hr turbo with 4 x 30 @80%,10 easy. Got through the first of these and had to stop. Effort was way too high for the power and heart rate was steadily climbing the whole time. Woke up with a sore throat and a bit of a tickly cough so more than likely the HR readings on Saturday were a sign of what was to come. Session last around 1hr 40 and I was cooked. My mam is recently back from holiday and wasn't well the first few days after landing so I'm hoping that I just caught what she had. Seems to be a head cold type thing. As day went on sore throat cleared up but nose is completely blocked and seem to be running a bit hot. Monday will be taken off training to try get over it. Suppose it's better off happening now 3 weeks out from the race than the week before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Its a terrible year for colds/throats/coughs. Seems like everyone has had something over the past few months.

Looking solid with those long bike sessions. You down in Carlow next?

Yep not ideal at all Kurt but by this stage the work has been done and a few days off will do no harm. Hoping it's gone quick, I know my mam got over it pretty quickly so I'm hoping I do too.

I'll be down in Carlow alright in 2 weeks, but will be in role of chief supporter/support crew/gopher. Looking forward to it though, was a good race last year and had a good atmosphere too. Are you still going to be racing there? Few changes to the run course this year and the swim course. Really enjoyed the course last year but it's the week before Outlaw this year so probably too close to be racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Speedy recovery. How are you feeling today?

• Advertisement

Feeling bit better alright, bit groggy, hot at times but throat is completely grand now. Bit of a blocked nose but hoping its just a head cold and will pass. Dosed up on what ever the pharmacy would see me so I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Right so follow on from last week, took Mon, Tues and Wed completely off training. Started to feel better on Wed. Thurs was half an hour easy run, HR still off but not as jumpy and as high as it had been. Effort to pace improving too. Fri was an easy 45 mins turbo and power to HR pretty close, a little out but nothing huge. Sat I headed out and done 2.5hrs easy on the TT bike. At times was grand and was moving well, other times could feel I still wasn't 100%, got a bit tight towards the end but after an easy week and a few days off that nearly expected. Sunday was a club training day in lough Lene, short open water swim, then an easy 20km on the bike followed by an easy 5km run. The run was ok, hr quick to climb on hills but was a lot quicker to settle down too. Pace was kept very easy. Got home that evening and done another 30 min easy run. Pace a bit improved to HR and again much more settled. Body felt good for this and legs were moving well. Effort was very close to the pace and it felt very very easy. Monday (Yesterday) was another easy run. 7km done, and HR was pretty much where it should be the majority of the time for the pace. Body felt good and averaged around 4.35 pace and it felt easy, hopefully this is the start of getting back to normal now. 12 Days to Outlaw half.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Good to hear your on the mend.
    Hope the run in goes to plan.

Willing to share race targets?

This week will see just how on the mend I am Rodney!

Yep no problem putting race targets out there. I haven't hit any targets yet but you never know! ;)

The main goal is to get as close to 4.30 as I can. If I have a good day and everything goes well I think this is definitely achievable, might even dip under. I'd be hoping for 30 min swim, 2.30 bike and 1.30 run. Hopefully a little faster on the bike and run that would make up the transition times. Looking at previous times in the race, the swim time should be there, I'd have a guess it's a little short. Huge number go under 25 mins, with relatively few out past 32/33 mins, so if I get in a good pack there could be good time to be made there. Bike looks flat enough, so should be fast. Last 2/3km are on back roads into the place so will lose a bit of time here but should, all going well, be around 2 and a half hours for this. The run is probably going to be my strongest I'd say, 90 mins is the target but if I'm fit and healthy I should beat this. I'd like to think I have a 1.27 in me but we will see on the day, the route is pancake flat, not even a hint of a hill. Transitions are short and shouldn't take too long. In my last 2 long runs I've ran 2 x 1.35 half marathons where 1.05 of that was easy paced and on a lumpy route, but we will see how that all goes on the day. Nutrition will be a factor too but I'm pretty sure I'm on top of that and have found something that works for me and doesn't turn my stomach inside out (powerbar). The main goal though is to beat my brother!

Tues 17th May

Evening turbo. Short enough session main bit being 5@85%,5@90%,5 easy X2. this was handy enough, had to make sure I didn't go into the 90% range during the 85% effort but that was probably the hardest bit of this session. Legs bit heavy but no problems completing the session. Trying out a new saddle on the TT bike and didn't take into account the depth difference between the 2 saddles so the new saddle was probably a little low. Adjusted it at the end and felt much better. http://fabric.cc/shop/saddles/tri/

Saddle is a little different than what I'm used to but was comfortable enough. Hard to judge on turbo so the road this weekend will give me a better idea.

Wed 18th May

Morning swim. Main set being 5 x 300m alt sw and pull. Felt good for this, looking at the pull phase of my stroke a bit and think if I change the angle from my elbow down it seems to work better for me. Finished off with a bit of drafting practice for Laura who is doing Carlow the weekend. Tried using what I found during the 300's and seemed to work well, done my fastest ever 50 pull in the pool at around 47 seconds. Seem to be using my lats more than my shoulders. I'll keep at it the next while and see how it goes.

Evening run. 40 mins easy with a few fast 20 seconds. Legs felt good for this, body still doesn't feel 100% but the pace is right where it should be and the effort feels easy. HR a little quick to climb when I'm going uphill but doesn't go crazy high and is very easy to pull back. 9.3km done in 40.30 so moving very well and all felt very easy.

• Advertisement

Thurs 19th May

Evening turbo session. Not too long tonight, main section being 20@85%. No problem holding this and ended up holding around 90%. Legs felt good and overall a handy enough session. Saddle seems to be working well too. Good session.

Fri 20th May

Early swim. Pool seems to be getting busier and had to be in work early for a meeting so had to cut it a bit short. Not ideal but at least I got something done. Moving pretty well in the water, new arm position working fairly well but seems ot be working some muscles I've never really worked and felt it a bit as the session went on. Not too bad a session but cut short.

Fri 20th may

Evening run. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Hr too high again. Actually felt better today than I have all week. Easy 20 mins and pace was out into 10 mins @4min km pace ,hr was where it wud be for around 3.40 pace. Cut short and walked home.

Sat 21st may.

Another session with hr too high. Turbo again cut short, effort way too high for what was easy effort a few days ago. Hr good bit higher and body just not feeling it. Feel grand normally, just once I start doing something hr raises and don't feel great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Have you been on a course of anti-biotics? I know loads of people this year who couldn't shift a cold without a course of antib's (and in some cases steroids!).

No anti biotics this year Kurt, went to the doctor and said I didn't need them. Not sure if this is chest related though or something else, no tightness or anything in chest and actually feel good. Only around 5 mins into training it happens. Sure we see how it goes!

Any improvement in your health over the weekend?

nope not at all Pgibbo, not sure what's going on. Had an easy run yesterday and at times it feels easy and pace is good and other times the pace drops 20 seconds a km for the same effort. At this stage now I'll just go over to Outlaw and get around, any idea of a time is gone out the window, I'll just go over and enjoy it as much as I can.

Crap. Sorry to hear that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fingers crossed you surprise yourself in a positive way at Outlaw. :)

Thanks Dory, mine is only a small thing compared to what your going through though!

An just to make things a little more interesting, Laura went home early from work yesterday with what looks like a vomiting bug, not feeling too great myself but don't seem to have caught it yet. Not the best run into a race ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sorry to hear that you're feeling s**te Joey especially coming up to a race you were looking forward to :( Hope you figure out what the problem is and you're feeling better soon.

• Advertisement

Cheers Neady, There's definitely a bit of self pity in there too that's probably not helping things. Am feeling good at times and at others not at all. Not much I can do about it now only turn up and see how it goes!

To try and bring it back to a bit of training and racing. Laura had her first open water Tri of the season on Sunday in Carlow. She seemed to really enjoy it, swam smart and outside the scrum at the turn around buoy, made a huge amount of places up here and ended up about 3rd women out of the water in her wave. Bike she found tough going up the hill but held a good average coming back and hit the speed sensor on the road at 57kmph so was moving well. The first half of the bike made the run a bit of a slog but she got through it well and was third lady home from the club running a time that nearly matched her old 5km pb. A good day out overall and a great atmosphere at the race. Only downside was a lovely lady from a club out west, that seems to be doing it's best to endear itself to people, who decided the best thing to do in transition when they were setting up was to give out to Laura that she had her bike racked the wrong way, when Laura was only following what everyone else done. She had plenty of space and if anything Laura was the one being out by everyone being racked the wrong side as she was at the end of one rack and the start of the next where they had racked the right way. Meant very little space for her but obviously that woman needed to let her know how wrong she was. Anyway even with that she really enjoyed the race, her mam and dad came down to watch too and I reckon her dad might give it a go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

How's the body feeling joey? Any better.

Best of luck this weekend Joey. Hope you're feeling better and have a great race.

Cheers folks, over here now all settled in and just relaxing. Nice set up here and enough to do to stop me getting bored. Shirt sessions tomorrow and sat and I'm good to go. This week has gone well so far, stomach a little all over the place but think that's the boat, I'm not the best traveller. I think I've seen the road that they described as being rough, I'd love roads like that in Dublin!/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super congrats to your Laura for completing her first OW tri. Did she wear the super cool tri top you got for her??? And best wishes to you at the weekend. My fingers and toes are crossed all goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Good luck this weekend Joey, hope it goes really well for you. Go knock it out of the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Best of luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best of luck this weekend joey, look forward to hearing how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Good luck over there. Forget about any recent disappointments, just give it your best and you might surprise yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Looks like a solid performance. Well done.

Advertisement