Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Neady, not sure to be honest, training coming up to the race was a bit strange, after the break in Amsterdam I never felt right training. HR was high and pace slow but put that down to the few days off. Think there is something in my system, hopefully over the worst of it now but going to take the next few days off and see how I feel.

Never mind how I feel though after my race, how are you?? That was a brilliant result and race at the RACE, you must be delighted?

Hope you're over it now, still though, great result at the weekend.

Thanks Joey. I'm really good, sore and stiff as hell but I'm on cloud nine. It all fell into place for me on the day, I was able to call on all the experience that I gained int he last two years and plough on when the going got tough and I couldn't be happier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

We are all looking forward to the report, so no pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Joey, great result and great to see that you feel there is still room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

No chance this was going to go away quietly. Is running with your helmet on a rule violation? Would have made for some good photos at the finish line if they had let me off.

I don't think so, prob not the best idea but don't know if it's against the rules. If you turned it around the other way at the finish line I wonder would it count in a photo finish.

• Advertisement

Body still not right so taking a few days off to try and get over it. Monday off, Tuesday off and will try a light turbo on Wednesday evening.

Right so took a few days off after Naas, wasn't feeling right and took a bit of a break. Headed out for a spin on the new road bike one of the days and just took it very very easy. A short run and the HR was even higher so another bit of backing off from training. Run pace was around 40 seconds slower per km for same hr and power was down around 30w for the same hr so knew something was up. Back to the doctor today and am back on some medication I was on last year. Worked well for me last year but looks like I might be on it a bit more this year, last year I took it when I wanted but I've been advised to take it every day for a month or two and then cut it back a little but to stay on it. Hopefully this sorts it out. I done a peak flow test when I was in the doctor and someone my age should be averaging just over 600, I averaged around 470 so hoping I can go someway to getting closer to the 600!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Asthma?

RJM85 wrote: »
    Asthma?

Snap, I was about to ask the same question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I meant to mention to you, I got a Powerbreathe today, it's meant to help develop better breathing through resistance.

• Advertisement

Yep looks like it, change in seasons, damp weather, increased training recently. Doctor seems to reckon it is so will see how the medication helps. Helped a good bit last year, but didn't want to be relying on it so never took it as much as I should have. Will give it a proper go this year.

I'll have a look at that Kurt! Anything that can help I'm willing to try.

Yep looks like it, change in seasons, damp weather, increased training recently. Doctor seems to reckon it is so will see how the medication helps. Helped a good bit last year, but didn't want to be relying on it so never took it as much as I should have. Will give it a proper go this year.

Sorry to hear that Joey. There's no harm in the medication though - I've been using inhalers all my life and it's never been a hindrance, you just need to look after yourself when you have a cold so your chest doesn't take a hammering. Then again, I don't swim so I don't know how it effects that discipline.

There are some great breathing exercises associated with yoga that help to build the capacity of the lungs. I'm sure there's some good youtube videos that would help.

Hope the medication kicks in soon and you're back to full capacity though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Not nice hopefully you'll be back on track soon.

I've thankfully largely grown out of mine over the years but I still get the odd flare up that can be dealt with by a Ventolin. I've found that certain foods seem to go hand in hand with it too - not immediate reactions; but the morning after a beer or two will often have me caught for breath for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

FFS I can't even beat you with asthma

I'm the opposite rjm, I seem to have grown into it! Never had it when I was younger, my brothers did, but as I got older seems to be developing. I'll keep that in mind about the food, I'll try and track it a bit. I'll stay off the beer too, a good excuse to drink more whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hope you're sorted soon Joey. All very manageable though which is good. get that TUE submitted ;)

I got bronchitis in early November and again at the end of December. When I went to an on-call doctor in December he reckoned I might have asthma and I should get it checked after the bronchitis clears up. Your post got me thinking that I never did. Been grand since though.

I'd be the same Pgibbo, would have got a lot of chest infections and stuff like that. If I was feeling tight in the chest I just put it down to that but doesn't look like I had half as many as I thought I had, more of the time it was down to the asthma. On the inhalers a few days now and already noticing a difference.

Right so back to logging some training. 2 swims, 2 runs and 2 bikes done so far this week. Bike has seen the best improvement so far, I've done 2x1hour sessions one with 6x5@230w,3easy and then another with 3x10@205w,3easy and finished that with 2x4@225w,2easy. Bike is feeling good and HR stable on it. 2 swims weren't bad, one focusing on shorter harder stuff and then a swim this morning that had 3x400 in it, then finished with 6x50m fast on 1 min. Coming in low 40's, not too bad. Run hasn't been great but have seen an improvement in the second run so good signs. Legs are grand it's just the HR, but positive signs. I'm going to cut the run back a bit too, I don't need to be running every weekday so I'm not going to. Pull it back to 3 days during the week, long run at weekend and then hopefully a short brick too. 3weeks on Sat to Tri Laois, I don't really like the race but I've done it twice now and it's good to get a race done before the season starts proper for me in Carlow. Not sure what shape I'll be in for Laois but I should be in good shape for Carlow.

Thought you might enjoy this

Happy Friday :)

That brings back memories alright! Have had a fair few moments like them!

• Advertisement

Fri 24th MArch

Another easy run and another improvement in pace. Lowest HR and best pace of the week. Inhalers starting to work. 40 mins/just over 8km done. Bit of company on the run too was nice and best I've felt running in a while now.

Sat 25th March

Morning spin with A1CC. enjoying these spins, don't meet too early and there is good company on them. Good spin today, Laura had gone home for the weekend so no rush to get home. Ended up doing around 4hrs 15mins and 117km. Nothing too stressful, pace handy for mst of it. Pushed on a bit on one or two climbs but more to give myself a bit of space descending. Getting better at it. New bike seems a lot more grounded and stable when I'm descending, think the headset on my old bike is gone so that would have made it a bit tougher but the new bike is very very comfortable and wants to go fast downhill.

Straight off the bike into 1km hard, 1.5km easy. Just to get used to running off the bike. 1km hard came in around 3.45 pace, was aiming for 3.48 pace so pleased. Def more in me. 1.5km easy then just to stretch out the legs. Pleased with how they felt after the long spin.

Sun 26th March

Out early for my long run. 90 mins easy. Pace nothing exciting but HR was kept low and was very comfortable for the whole run.

Mon 27th March

I had been planning on doing some intervals and had half though about putting them off until my run is getting better. No point really so thought I'd start today. Using the Jack Daniels running book for some workouts and had a threshold set of 5x1km with 1min easy running inbetween as a guide for today. Threshold pace according to the book would be around 4min/km pace. Went pretty well, well able to hold the pace but not sure it was a Threshold session! HR was higher than where it should be for a threshold session but other than that it was good. No problems holding the pace, all ran a little quicker than I was aiming for. Bit of tiredness in the legs but nothing major and not back running now until Wednesday so plenty of time to recover after it.

4min pace is too soft for you. No way that's your threshold pace. How did you calculate it?

EDIT --- good to see you're health is coming back

Took it from the jack Daniels book based on my vdot. I might have got the terms wrong but there's two paces for intervals. One at 3.58, one at 3.35. Decided on the slower today based on I'm only coming back into it. Tempo probably a better name for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I assume you are working off somewhere in the region of 55? if it was a 5x1 at threshold then you got it spot on. If it was meant to be intervals then 3.37 pace.

That was it JB. I had half an idea of going for the faster ones with a longer recovery but with only getting back into the running properly and my easy pace still off where it should be I thought them ones sounded a bit more manageable for the moment. Don't want to put the chest under too much stress either, and in the end the ones I done were probably tougher than what they should have been.

I'm not familiar with Daniels but is threshold pace not 15s or so slower than your 5k pace? Hence why I thought 4:00/km was a little soft.

Prob not far too wrong Gibbo, 5km pace for my PB was around 3.35(ish), PB being 17.55 so would be around 3.50 pace for these (If I was in PB shape!). I held around 3.55 pace for these, was aiming for the 4min/km just to give myself a bit of space depending on how the chest was. Think it's just a different terminology and me aiming a little lower than what my PB pace would be for the moment, but I think we are all agreeing!

• Advertisement

Tues 28th March

Evening turbo. This didn't go to plan! Plan was 2x(3x3@120%,3easy). Hadn't charged the garmin but was no problem cos use trainer road for my turbo's anyway. All going grand, got through 2 and a half of the intervals when the computer turned off for an automatic update. Finished out that interval as best I could and then gave the next a go using the timer on Laura's computer. Found it too hard to judge how hard I was going and was changing between pushing too hard and taking it easy. Changed the session to something I could finish and done 3x 6 mins BG, 2 easy between. Just for something to finish it out and not to get off after half an hour. Not the best session but done.

Wed 29th March

I'm hoping to do a club TT on Sunday so I moved my long run to today so I wouldn't miss it. Sunday was my last long run so a little closer than I would have liked but got it done. Nice and controlled, Hr right in middle of easy zone and pace getting a little better, few km's under the 5 min mark. I know I'm not running really well but it's a bit hard to judge cos I'm using a lower limit on my easy HR but a few km's under 5mins in a good sign things are moving in the right direction. 95 mins done and just under 18km.

Thurs 30th March

morning swim. Feels like ages since I've swam but wasn't too bad in the pool. Few 400's to start alt between swim and pull. Then into 13x50m off 1min aiming for 45 seconds. Held the pace well and pushed on a bit for the last 3. Some easy 100's and pull to finish. Not too bad.

Advertisement