Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Brilliant improvement over the season Joey- enjoy the well deserved break! Will you do any run races or duathlons over the winter/spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Kurt, at the moment not sure. It will be up to the new coach I suppose, would like to do a fast 10km or give a standalone half marathon a go but the real goal is Outlaw so if it helps with that I'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

September 28th at 9am ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Great season Joey, I was delighted to see you get the rewards you deserve. It was also lovely to see the learning that went on too throughout the season #everydayisaschoolday

So I guess this is definitely happening.....

36638409644_0acfb960f3_c.jpg[

• Advertisement

VIP option I assume?

Yep, because I done the half over there before I got the link sent the other day but could only sign up today. May as well get signed up quickly before I change my mind!

So last few weeks have been getting back into it, trying to get a bit of routine back into the training but at same time not killing myself and taking it pretty handy.

This week has seen the start back into a bit of training, 2x easy runs, 1 big gear turbo session and even a swim. Motivation is good, little lost on the plan/coaching situation but I'll sort something out. More of a pain though is that my fenix3 has suddenly decided it doesn't like satellites and won't pick them up. Not a huge issue cos I'm running to HR and time but something I'd like to get sorted quick enough!

Ha, I was going to ask if anyone recommends the Fenix 3 over a perfectly-functioning 910 with HR strap! :D

Seriously though, would you recommend an upgrade, are newer features any better?

Probably the wrong man to ask Kurt, I use hr,pace, time and distance and that's about as exciting as it gets! Id get away with a much cheaper watch to be honest. It does look well though and you can wear it every day, battery life is very good. If you got it for a good price you can't go wrong really.

Edited to add I use a hr strap, don't have one with built in hr, have read they don't read great through tattoos so didn't want to take the chance.

• Advertisement

Cheers joey, it was the wrist HR that had my interest. My 910 charger was borked so I started looking at 935 and Fenix, but a simple spit and sawdust repair has everything working normally now, probably no need for an upgrade.

I'll get a tat instead ;)

Always a reason to get a tattoo kurt, just make sure you have a nice miami ink style story about why your getting it to justify it to everyone else! Nothing more annoying than someone asking about my tattoos and saying 'but what does it mean, what does it symbolize?', I'm not that deep, it means I liked the look of it.

On other news I bought new bike shoes after the dog ate my older pair of mavic's, after lots of looking and searching I found a pair of Sworks 6 in red, in my size and for 95 pounds delivered. Was pretty sure it was a mis-price, never seen them for below 300 euro, chanced my arm and ordered them. After a few emails back and forward and the shop trying to get me to cancel the order by saying there would be delays, there was marks on the soles, they finally arrived yesterday. Gorgeous shoes and fit well. Nice to be back in proper bike shoes after using my tri shoes for the last few months.

37650526281_27e192aa13_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thats a steal, where did you pick them up?

Thats a steal, where did you pick them up?

Glad you asked that :)

Unfortunately lads they must have realised their mistake about 20mins after i ordered them, cos they were all quickly removed. Rutland cycles in the UK though.

So coming to the end of the first block of training back and have some spare time in work so thought I'd update.

Started back slowly, about 2/3 weeks of just doing a bit and trying to build some fitness before I started into the first 4 week block. This is mid way through the 3rd week and next week will be a recovery week. Running is coming on a bit, HR settling and feeling like I'm running again. Bike going ok, power down a bit but no huge concerns at where it is. And I'm actually swimming so that's a good thing.

I've started swimming again with interested on Friday nights and have been to 2 so far and am enjoying them. Working hard in them but it's kicking in that competitive streak in me and when people are pulling away from me in the pool that's what I remember early Tuesday and Thursday mornings that make me get up early and to the pool. I'm also getting to the pool a little earlier and getting in around 70 mins. I'd say I've swam as much in the last 3 weeks as I have in the last 2 months before. Looks like I might have a little group in the pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays too, a strong cat 1 lad and one of the top age groupers in the country swim in the same pool so jumped in with them today and will keep that going if I can.

Everything run wise is being kept easy. Working to a little lower HR on my longer runs on Sundays and seems to be working well for me. Running regularly 4 times a week and the pace is beginning to improve. Will probably do another block of just easy stuff before I start introducing anything harder.

Bike is going well. Power is down but that's to be expected. I'm also training pretty much 100% of time in the aero position on the TT bike. Before I would sit up a bit and fidget around, usually trying to find the best position for putting out power, now everything is in aero. 1 longer session, 1 hour easy on turbo and 1 Big gear session a week so far and seems to be working well. Not comfortable on the saddle for longer spins so have an ISM ordered and will be moving back to one. I don't need the rear integration of the fabric saddle with the trek bike. Am able to hold it for longer than when I started though and will be doing more outdoor spins on the TT bike too.

I'm taking the rest and recovery serious too. Quality of food has improved, portion size needs to increase though, I'm already at 60kg and don't really want to lose a lot more weight. I'll be introducing at least 2 core + stretching/maintenance sessions a week as well. Laura does these a few evenings a week anyway so I'll join in with her. I'm getting around 8 hrs sleep every night with a little longer on Fri nights and Sat nights and will be working to keep this at at least 8 hours a night.

A bit about my plans/goals for next year. I've signed up for Outlaw full distance at the end of July. this gives me plenty of time to train and part of the reason I'm trying to keep the training sensible enough and not do anything too hard or long until after Christmas. The plan with the coach seems to have gone by the wayside a bit, I've asked a few people's advice and got info from a few books and have drafted a sort of plan for myself. I'd like to think it will get me to the race in good shape and should be easy enough to follow. There is only 1 extra session a week really on the plan (an hour turbo on Sunday evenings) so I'm hoping that by keeping the time table roughly similar to what I'm doing now it shouldn't be too bad and should still leave me with some time at home too! Obviously the long weekends towards the end of the plan will be different but they aren't there throughout the whole plan.

I'll put the goal for the race out there too, I've done it every year and even though I've changed the way I log my training I'll still do this bit. The goal is sub 10. On rough estimates a 1hr swim, 5hr 30 min bike, 3hr 30 min run with a few mins made up to take into account transitions. Swim might be a little ambitious and bike a little conservative but in rough numbers that's what I'm looking at. It's up on the wall in the training room so no hiding or getting away from it. Will depend on how I get used to the training load, how the training goes and getting to the race fit and healthy but I'd like to think it's achievable. Will be my first long distance and I'm very aware that a lot can go wrong but it's a target to aim for anyway.

Coming to the end of block 2 so another update.

Started well, first 2 weeks were very good, no missed sessions. Swim is going well, starting to get fitter and can see some improvements. 3x(3X200m off 3.15) was a highlight, was drafting though but still good to get through it. Then done 4x400m off 6.45 coming in around 6.20 with the few lads I swim with on a different day. Alternating turns on the front but comfortable enough, decent gaps between us and came in relatively comfortable for 6.15 for mine.

Bike going well too. ISM is alot more comfortable than the fabric and no issues with the longer turbo spins now. Pretty much every session has been on the turbo, not ideal but at least they are getting done. Using zwift a bit now too to try and break it up a bit. Works but I'm going to have to keep an eye on staying easy on it. Too easy to get caught up chasing or racing people.

Run going well too. Easy pace improving and getting more comfortable too. First bit of work was 15 mins tempo during the week and pace wasn't too far off where I hoped it would be. Need to get used to doing a bit of work again but good signs.

First 2 weeks were very good, this week not so much. Few busy late days in work combined with the training caught up with me a bit and have had to take a few days off this week. Combination of sickness and tiredness. Not worried though, everything now is a bonus so just need to stop myself getting carried away with training and keep it sensible. I read a Peter Sagan quote that I need to remember, 'A great coach once told me that doing one session less than you had scheduled is preferable to doing one too many'. I'm very guilty of this, especially if the body is feeling good!

Stretching going ok. Doing it but not as much as I should. No real tightness or aches or pains though but something I need to get on top of. Weight is around 59kg and is something I do need to work on. I've started eating more in an effort to put on some weight. I'd normally race around that weight so need to put on some kg's for when the training proper starts. This has been my favourite part of my training so far, has meant eating a lot more cake than usual!

Training proper for outlaw starts on 22nd Jan, so probably another block or block and a half of the easy stuff getting the body ready before it starts. I've introduced an extra turbo session on Sunday evenings, 45 mins at the moment, that's 1 of the 2 extra sessions a week I'll have come January so I'm trying to get used to it now. No real plans for races yet, I'll hopefully do a parkrun the Saturday before Christmas, give me an idea of where I am, done the same last year so be good to compare.

Only other news really is that I'm leaving the club I have been with since I started in Tri. I enjoyed my time with Activ Multisport but it just doesn't suit me anymore and I'm moving to a new club formed by some of the members of Activ called 'Tritanium'. Club is going to start small and will probably stay small for a while, but the plan is for it to be a small, inclusive, more craic club. Emphasis will be on having fun and enjoying ourselves (and hopefully following up with some good results too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

joey100 wrote: »

Weight is around 59kg and is something I do need to work on. I've started eating more in an effort to put on some weight. I'd normally race around that weight so need to put on some kg's for when the training proper starts. This has been my favourite part of my training so far, has meant eating a lot more cake than usual!

Damn you, damn you to hell!! What a problem to have :o

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Bambaata wrote: »
    Damn you, damn you to hell!! What a problem to have :o

Yup I'm with Bambaata.

Must be an awful problem heading into the Christmas seasonðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Yup I'm with Bambaata.

Must be an awful problem heading into the Christmas seasonðŸ˜႒

I'm with Joey. And it's not as fun as it sounds. Eating unhealthy foods makes me feel like sh1t. And no matter how much I eat I struggle to keep it on when training ramps up.

Worse for me as wheat and dairy cause me illness and weight loss. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

BTH wrote: »
    I'm with Joey. And it's not as fun as it sounds. Eating unhealthy foods makes me feel like sh1t. And no matter how much I eat I struggle to keep it on when training ramps up.

Hows about more steak?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hows about more steak?

Ribeye everyday (already on 2/3 a week) would get very expensive. Were already at ~€200 a week in food.

Lots more snacks like peanut butter and oat cakes coupled with Nuts – such as peanuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and pecans - should help you put on a bit :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Lots more snacks like peanut butter and oat cakes coupled with Nuts – such as peanuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and pecans - should help you put on a bit :D

I couldn't possibly eat more nuts. Half a kilo of raw nuts a week (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia), plus 350-400g of almond butter, plus there'll be peanut butter or cashews in dinner regularly.

I'd agree with BTH, only a certain amount of crap you can eat before you feel crap! I've been trying to do it by upping my portion size and more veg. Trying to snack more too, but trying to keep the food decent quality too. Weight is coming up a bit so seems to be working. I remember Laura saying that your body only has a certain amount of room to lose weight, that for the vast majority of people it's around 10% of your starting weight. You might go lower at the start but for the majority of people they tend to put some back on and then stay around 10% lost. Think it's got to do with the effects of the original weight on your metabolism and the damage it does to it. Something to keep in mind if your putting on and losing weight, keep it within 10% of your goal weight and you should be relatively ok, anymore and it will get tough. So for me means not going above 66kg, not even aiming to go that high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Tritanium :):)

You're building well Joey. You weren't feeling the best earlier in the year but I know you overcame that, how's your body coping with the base building and the time of year (weather etc.) combined?

HI Neady, good to see you back logging!

Bit of a strange time of year for me, ticking over without doing too much. I find it hard, I'm usually all or nothing so doing a little without getting carried away is tougher than normal. I'd been going well the last while but the last 2 weeks haven't been great, but it's no big deal. I was getting to the stage where I needed to start doing something in training, all the easy stuff was getting boring, had a few bits and pieces on too so just took a few complete days off. Training proper starts on Jan 22nd, so it's about getting there in as good shape as I can without overdoing it.

Health has been ok, last few weeks haven't been great but it's timed with the change in weather, would normally see this from around mid spring too so not really that unexpected.

Right so another update. Still ticking over, doing a bit without doing too much. Run coming along ok, done a parkrun on Saturday to see where I am. Done one around same time last year. This year was about 9 seconds quicker, less training this year and no hard running since August. Good signs there. Bike coming along ok too, getting more comfortable. Few small fit adjustments to try and make it a bit more comfortable. Done 25 mins at what I would hope would be around planned race watts for outlaw, was ok, felt handy enough but I don't know how I would feel doing over 5 hours at it, but it's plenty of time away. Swim on the other hand hasn't gone well, got very very busy in work, meant I missed a few Friday nights and with working late meant I was in no form for Morning swims. Excuses really but the result is I haven't swam in about 4 weeks. Back in the pool tomorrow morning though, no excuses. Unfortunately I won't be able to do the Friday evening swims, the work load from a recent change in legislation means I'll be working a few evenings every week so can't really miss another evening at home to go swimming. Just means I really need to make sure I get up and swim.

2 more weeks today until the plan proper starts, this week will be normal enough and then I'll step back a bit next week before getting into it. Tonight is the new-to-tri night for our new club. Be interesting to see how many, if any, turn up for it but be a chance to catch up with the other people in it and talk about some club plans for the year.

80 mins swimming/trying not to drown today. It's a start, probably the longest I've ever stayed in that pool. Plenty of work to do.

• Advertisement

So not a great run since the last update, been sick the last week so little to nothing done. Coming around a bit so was back on the turbo for an hour last night just to get the legs moving feel better for it and ready (I think) to start the plan.

Today is the first official day. Nothing too mad the first few weeks, just getting the routine going again. Planned FTP test tomorrow evening should be fun, have been working off a FTP of 240, I'd guess it hasn't moved much either, not upwards anyway. Might be down a little with the week off the bike but sure I'll find out tomorrow.

Bit of sickness didn't do the weight any good either, have been trying to build it up a bit for the upcoming training, had reached around 63kg, but back to just under 61kg now. Just something I'll keep an eye on as the training goes on.

Enthusiasm is back now, looking forward to getting stuck into the work.

Advertisement